PDA

View Full Version : Question 4 QLDers about saftey signage, traffic lights..

Alex Callaghan
14-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Can any of you QLD whackas tell me of a place in the Brisy kinda area that does saftey signs. The bigger ones on metal frames.

The mob I usually get that kinda stuff off dosn't do signs with the lettering of your choice on em.

I need

PARK CLOSED

&

REDUCE SPEED
NOW

The saftey mob down here don't have generic ones with this lettering so I need to find a mob that'll kinda personalise the lettering!!

Also I need to find somone that I can hire trailer traffic lights off.

Spend about an hour on google doing a search and nothing in the Brisy area.

So any help from you plonkers up there would be great!!!
I need to orginise this stuff by early next week.

mick
14-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Alex,

Why dont you get some signs made up then you can either get a sign writer or someone like my mate that can make up the sticker type lettering.

Just an option!

Alex Callaghan
14-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Alex,

Why dont you get some signs made up then you can either get a sign writer or someone like my mate that can make up the sticker type lettering.

Just an option!

Yeh, good thought mate but there are regulations reguarding materials etc that those signs are made out of. Type of backing couler, Backing reflectivness (is there is such a word :i dunno: )

The signs I want fold out into an "A" frame. These are the type I need and use now and if I can find a company in Brisy that dose em that would save alot of time and money cause the Sign and backing is pre-fab and then they just laser cut the wording and whack it on!! Much more cost effective and time saving. Also no possible hassels with work cover etc for not using an RTA spec and approved sign.

I'm know some mobs can do personalised lettering as I found 2 companys in Sydney that do it.
Must be somwhere in Brisy that dose it!!

What's the big hire place up your way mate?
Need trailered trafic lights for 2 days.

Cheers...

mick
14-09-2004, 10:59 PM
I just had a look in the phone book and came up with these, not sure if there any good to ya but worth a call. .....

Prime Traffic Control Safty & Signs
1 Ingles Drv Redbank Plains
"General road safty & traffic control products."
ph 0738144739
email.. prime3@bigpond.net.au
www.primetraffic.com.au

Hylyte Safty Signs & Products
Unit 4/9 Laurance drv Nerang
Work Place Health & Safety Signs & Products
ph 0755273005

Gold Coast Hire Group
26 Laurance drv Nerang
email... sales@hylyte.com.au

Hope that lot helps mate!

Alex Callaghan
15-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Thats tops Mick!

Cheers mate.

mick
15-09-2004, 04:36 PM
How'd ya go? Did any of them have what you needed? I'm sure one of them could point you in the right direction anyway!

Good luck

Alex Callaghan
16-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Cheers Mick.

Very helpful info.

I go and pick up my new signs from Narang and a set of traffic lights from Coopers plains with a mate on tuesday.

Hire place in Narang couldn't help with lights but put me onto a mob called A1 traffic systems or somthing and they hire lights out.

Huge job starts next week and I was starting to stress out about things for a whille there.

Cheers mate. big help!

mick
17-09-2004, 01:29 PM
No worries Al. Just glad you got what you needed!

Good luck with the job.

What is it anyway? :bike:

Alex Callaghan
17-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Mick,
I've got 3 parks around the area to mow,trim and round-up around trees etc.
One of thems 10 acers, ones 7 and others about 3.

The other part of the job is a whole lot of roadside stuff. bout 40km in total.
They want all these road side sections looking like lawn and the grass is about 5-6ft tall in some places. I'll be working with a bloke that I've subbied in with a 110Hp slasher (I hope I can have a bit of a burl on it..hehe) So me and anouther anouther bloke I've subbied will be following the tractor around on the Z's neatening up.

Good job really mate!!

19c a square meter for the park stuff and $105 per hour on the roadside.

Hope it becomes regular!!!!

mick
17-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Sounds like a good job mate! Good luck with it and I hope it becomes regular for ya too!

Tonyr
17-09-2004, 04:13 PM
19c a square meter for the park stuff and $105 per hour on the roadside.

======

Good on ya Alex!

Half ya luck....I can't win tenders here when I only bid 1.5 cents per square metre, no wander I'm having doubts whether persueing here is worth it, even if you meant 1.9 cents you are still miles ahead, so much for thinking as you's are in a more populated areas, so comes more opposition, like I said, congrats mate!

no contract work here, the little that is, is done ultra cheap and is only 12 months, a lot of gov stuff isn't even tender now, more of a call when we need you after you are in the system.

Alex Callaghan
17-09-2004, 04:30 PM
a lot of gov stuff isn't even tender now, more of a call when we need you after you are in the system.

Thats pretty much how I've bagged this mate.

I got my foot in the door a while back with winning thoses H'way distributor tenders and they rang me last week and asked if I wanted it.
I meet the southern works provider on the sites and he said "Just do it and bill us when it's done" didn't even ask how much it was going to cost!

That 19c an acre includes slashing and running over It with the mowers. So plant hire and wages for me and anouther bloke.
$190 an acre is fair IMO. It's bout in par with what I noramly charge taking the extra expensis into account.

Byron Shire is pretty big. Council only have 5 blokes in Parks and gardens sector to look arfter the entire shire.
They've let some more rural type parks get pretty out of hand and residents are complaining especially with the snake season coming up!

I'ts unfortunate that you can't get any municipal work up your way mate.
I'd just keep going down to the works depot this season (go once a month) and ask if they need help with anything.
Might seem stupid but I bet if you'r tactful and persistant it'll payoff.
Give it a go mate..........Can't hurt!

APS_QLD
17-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Tony,

1.5 cents a sqm what are the others doing. How are you to make monies at 1.5c a sqm. In fact how did you come up with that price if you don't mind sasking.

I know when i was quoting to do some gov work (building) with the army i was told by a bloke currently doing it that you have to quote below to get the work and make it up on the extras.

I never trusted that system and thus never did there work. I could not understand at that time HOW you quote under the rate as it STATED in the description you MUST pay award wages and all required monies ie super, wc etc.

Brian

Tonyr
17-09-2004, 10:06 PM
1.5 cents per square metre is top price here, it equates to $60 an acre, I can do an acre in 35 to 40 mins average. allowing for trees etc...

I worked my fee out a few years ago, I figured I needed to be at this to make it worthwhile, and the market domestically only just accepts it, govnt. not yet, a guy with a mtd does it cheap for em lol.

Also as I heard many say a buck a minute on the job is good bucks, well I'm getting more....just the work volumn is lacking...

I'm surprised at how big of a difference there is in pricing, this is a town of 50000, tourist and retirement supports it, so contractors aren't sort after here like in brissy etc.

===

I'ts unfortunate that you can't get any municipal work up your way mate.
I'd just keep going down to the works depot this season (go once a month) and ask if they need help with anything.
Might seem stupid but I bet if you'r tactful and persistant it'll payoff.
Give it a go mate..........Can't hurt!

====

Yeah Alex, when I had my interview early last year with council, I was told they strictly prohibit any canvasing by contrctors after this interview, a we call you thing, they said if anyone calls council asking about work they are deleted, very strict.

country councils make their own rules, I've done all I can, re lodged my tender with better price and better machine, called but no call back except to say eventually girl couldn't read blue card details from copy which they had on file anyway, ....

I can't do more without stuffing things up...

It's ok, I live in a great place, trade off is lack of work opportunities, rather it be this way than move to brissy.

Alex Callaghan
17-09-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm a whacka!!

For some reason I thought an acre was 1000 sqaure meter. F#ck know why :i dunno:
Somthing I've never learnt but always drilled into my head mabey??

Anyway I worked my meterage price from this. I wanted bout $190 per acre and figured this would be a good exercise for working out sqaure meterage rates.

I'm now aware that one acre is about 4,046.873 square meters :laughing: :i dunno:

So 19c a square would be bout $760 per acre........ :o hehe Sounds pretty good to me! :D

So arfter this, I now know that to get what I want I'm gunna be charging around 4.5c per square meter.

I saw your post Tony and I was thinkin" $60!............Whats Tony goin on about the plonker........More like $15" heeeeeehe.

I'm bloody glad I found all this out now and not when I submited the invoice!!
I can just imagine the look on the blokes face :i dunno: :confused: :rolleyes: :laughing:

Cheers Tony :o ....... :russ: You've just saved me alot of grief and probably alot of face too!!!

How embaresment :)

APS_QLD
18-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Seems to be a big difference in pricing per acre $60 - $190. At $190 an acre i'd get a big red and mow, that's a damn side easier than pushing a mower.

Then again there is also a big difference in domestic stuff. I was down the shops earlier and some one had his add up lawns $10.00 not even from $10.00. :i dunno:

I would not roll out of bed for $10.00 a lawn :laughing:

Brian

mick
18-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Ok, I'm trying to get my head around this method of quoting so please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere Ok!

A, 1c/1m... 10c/10m.... $1/100m......$10/1000m....$100/10000m
B, 1.5c/m...15c/10m.....$1.5/100m...$15/1000m....$150/10000m
C, 2c/m .....20c/10m....$2/100m......$20/1000m....$200/10000m

So using the numbers above.....
My place is about 10100m. So I think using "B" is the way to go!

It takes 1.5hr to mow and about 1hr to run abound with the trimmer.
So I make $151.50 for 150min's work. Thats $1/minute!

Now as a solo operator I think thats not to bad. Pretty much what I aim for anyway way! Obviously if you have a subbie or an employee, you'd need more than "B"

Like I said though, correct me if I'm wrong anywhere there!

I'm glad this thread came up!

Alex Callaghan
18-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Seems to be a big difference in pricing per acre $60 - $190. At $190 an acre i'd get a big red and mow, that's a damn side easier than pushing a mower.

Brian,

The difference is, I have to pay the slasher bloke $66.50 per hour to run over the areas first , helpers wages, my wages and then expencise. That includes trimming and round-uping a $hit load to!!!
When it's all siad and done...........it's pretty fair!! Not cheap (close to it) but fair!

If I was just mowing and trimming and not paying subcontractors bill when it's finished it would be a different story!!

Mick,

B would be a good price for your place. I have a joint I do that is very similar size wise and I'm charging about $165 but I have to do a whole lot of push mowing round the pool as well.
$1 minuets great if you can get it and i'd be running on par with that on alot of domestic stuff. But some domestic jobs I know I wouldn't have if I charged that way. They don't pay great but there easy.
When It comes to working for the council I don't charge like a wounded bull and there again I'm not gunna go and shoot myself in the foot either.
My pricing is fair and they agree otherwise they wouldn't use me I spose.
Imagine if there was a good 14 months of growth on your place and you had to pay subbies and round-up around everyting + travel and expencise
I would seriously be looking a D!

APS_QLD
18-09-2004, 02:48 PM
I was just wondering was all, with all that i can understand the difference in the pricing.

I guess on those figures i am scoring about 50 - 75 cents a minute sole taking travel into account and depending on my run. Then again i'm only doing 8 hrs Will have to shorten my travel and increase the numbers in smaller areas to increase my bottom line.

All in the management i guess.

Brian

mick
18-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Alex, I agree totally with you about charging more if you use a subbie. If the subbie is charging $50-$60/h then use "B" but double it. If you use someone else as well then that gets added onto it as well.
It would go from you on your own, 1.5c/m.
You and someone else, 3c/m.
You and 2 subbies, 4.5c/m
and so on!
If one of the subbies only charge $25-$30/hr then you could pocket the difference I'd imagine.

Is that what you do?

I wouldnt bother doing it this way to quote a smaller residential property but if the acres are getting up there (say 5+) it sounds like a pretty good way to do things I reckon.

Alex Callaghan
18-09-2004, 07:22 PM
If one of the subbies only charge $25-$30/hr then you could pocket the difference I'd imagine.

Is that what you do?

I wouldnt bother doing it this way to quote a smaller residential property but if the acres are getting up there (say 5+) it sounds like a pretty good way to do things I reckon.

Mick,

Yep...........The slasher blokes the expensive one. The other guy I subbie in is maily on the brushcutter and sparying round-up I reckon. He's getting 22.50 an hour.

It's the same deal with the other council work I do.
On two of thoses jobs I just need one other bloke with me and he gets paid $20 an hour. I charge the council $76 P/H on those 2 jobs and the other one I need 2 subbies helping and charge $95 P/H. So I have a bit left over arfter theirs and my wages and expencies that just goes into the buisness account same as what I'll do on this up n coming job.

This job though I didn't even have to qoute but as I said I reckon it's a good exercise for me to work out on a sqaure meterage basis for future reference cause the sqaure meterage qouting system is gunna be how council are going to want all tenders bid on in the future. Same as Brissys system.
With the other regular contract work I do for council they have no idea on the size of the areas cause it sorta interwinds through areas that are the RTA's responsibility so it would be dam hard for me to use a sqaure meterage qoute. Somtimes the RTA lads are there the same time as me and I've had a few arguments with me and my guy and the RTA whackas over whoses area is whos!! One time it almost turned into a blue!!

Anyway this job will be a great learning experiance even if it dosn't become a regular.
I figure I'll be a step ahead of the other whackas when the next set of tenders come up and council ask for evreything in sqaure meterage.