PDA

View Full Version : How many a day

great_outdoors
16-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Just curious to see roughly how many lawns a day you guys are doing?

I know it all depends on sizes and travelling time ect, but a rough idea would be good.

Cheers :Rain:

mojo111
16-09-2004, 02:37 PM
At the moment stuff all. 6/8 lawns a day. WHEN the rain :Rain: comes and we get some growth Ill push it to 15/18 average lawns a day solo.
but thats because I got the ZTR Cuts the time in half or more, the average lawn only takes me about 30 min thats from unloading to loading and (talking) driving off. I've kept my run tight not much time waisted between jobs.cheers. :wave-hi:

Topcat
16-09-2004, 04:18 PM
A days average for mowing, i do 8/10 3 days a week.

I set my week monday/ fridays gardening jobs

tue/wed/thur are my mowing days. i always include an extra job when mowing, even if spraying poisen.

APS_QLD
16-09-2004, 06:15 PM
hmmmmm whats an average size yard :i dunno: 800 sqm. I look at 6 - 8 I don't have a tight runs as yet but i'm getting there. I am about to target a few and try and reduce my travel and increase the number of yards.

How many are you doing?

Brian

Alex Callaghan
16-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Some Days between 3-4

Some days 2

Somtimes 1

a few jobs I have take 5-7 days.

I have a job on begining next week and it's gunna take me around 2 weeks to complete!!

I don't have a "run" so to speak and even if I did it wouldn't be tight. My scedual is always changing. My travel time is low if I added it up for the day but I usually takes me about 1/2 hour at the least between jobs.

pbm
16-09-2004, 07:23 PM
On Monday my wife works with me and we do 12-15 lawns.
Tuesday I have a lot of travelling between jobs and I would do 5-8 lawns.
Wednesday don't have much travelling I would do 7-10.
Thursday bit of travelling around much like Tuesday 5-8.
Friday is gardening day so it depends what I have booked in.

Rod
16-09-2004, 08:02 PM
How about how much do your Gross in a day either by yourself or with two of you.

I aim for a minimum of $600 a day for two of us on domestic lawns.

mojo111
16-09-2004, 08:57 PM
How about how much do your Gross in a day either by yourself or with two of you.

I guess when you have to pay wages its a bugger at this time of year, that you have to have a high minimum. Must be hard sometimes getting enough work for two I guess.

I just lay em off till next season myself :wave-hi:

Back to the money thing-----this time of year I aim at $250 minimum a day. But when it kicks in to high gear I go to $500 a day solo. Hard work but it can be done :laughing: CHEERS

Alex Callaghan
16-09-2004, 09:25 PM

How many lawns do you do in a day Rod?

From looking at your advertising and rig pics on lawn site you don't just do lawns?
How much of your overall work load consists of lawns rod?
Just intrested.

For you to be making $600 a day on residentials you would have to be completing 1 $75.00 residential every hour in an 8 hour day.

Just intrested to know how much you charge?
Do ya work on an hourly rate or qoute by sight on each job?

I grossed about $68,000 last financial year. If you'r averaging $600 per day you'r grossing about $140,000 per anum??
Don't mean to pry mate. I'm intrested in how you make such a killing in domestic sector.

Alex Callaghan
16-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Also, Is you'r helper on award? Is award about $18 P/H?

Overheads in this biz aint that high really.
Capital expenditure is high with the outlay for equipment but when ya claiming the tax and depriciation it isn't that bad.
Once that enitial outlay is made it's sweet sailing provided the works there. Fuel, Trimmer line, Repairs, Office equipment, Advertising, Maintanence, Phone.

You must be netting a sizable amount per annum mate!!

APS_QLD
17-09-2004, 05:58 AM
On checking my records for last year my gardening work earned close on twice as much as my lawn mowing.

Brian

Rod
17-09-2004, 06:20 AM
Alex,

The days are always longer than eight hours sometimes up to ten.
Its not all domestic around 50% the rest is commercial.

Hence my question about how much do others gross. We cut lawns but provide a lot of other services as well.

I start some mornings at 4.30 a.m. (I do commercial car park maintenance.) Staff only ever work eight. My goal on a good day is to try and have wages covered before my helper kicks in.
I have a Govt tender 5 days a week at three man hours per day. That is in excess of $80.00 per man hour (a good start to the day.)

Swimming pool maintenance is the other facet. Do a lot of pools and lawns combined. Therefore an average call to a house with pool and lawn could be around $75-$80 and that is the target hourly income $75.00.

If we charge by the hour (sometimes) usually @ $75.00. We have 8 m3 of mulched mango trees to spread this morning and that is on an hourly rate.

I get a lot of irrigation repair work and that is usually done after hours (staff finished) at that is good at $50 p.h. by myself.

APS_QLD
17-09-2004, 06:46 AM
Rod

Is that gov tender $240 a day or is it $80.00 a day .......... I like the idea of doing the pool at the same time. I have one of my own and take very little to look after.

Did you do a course in pool maintenance or self taught?

Brian

Rod
17-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Brain,

Misled you somewhat (sorry) $40 an hour each so thats $120.00 (3 hours a day between us.)

As for the Pools, I use to work in a Pool shop part time years ago (in Melbourne.) You learn a hell of a lot as you go and if you have your own pool your 90% there.
Then if your not sure you ask at the pool shop the information is free.

APS_QLD
17-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Rod,

Thanks for clearing that up i was wondering what i was doing wrong :) I am going to have a shot at the pool thingie... i may ask a few questions if the need arises, hope you don't mind.

Brian

bradtez
17-09-2004, 08:59 PM
I think we all have to diversify to make ends meet such as pool maintenance etc, makes the stress a lot less at the end of the day.

In the high season i mow between 8-10 lawns a day which is around the $350ish mark. But the same time, if im on the Dingo for that same time period i earn $650ish. If only more people wanted dingo work!!!!

Brad

Topcat
17-09-2004, 09:39 PM
My dingo contractor charges $55.00 per hour & $110.00 1st hour.

What are your charges.

Topcat
17-09-2004, 09:47 PM
I love this job.............

2000th posted ;frosty;

and a good day on the road turned over $464.75, and had only a tip expence of $22.00.

spoke to a guy at the tip and told him to look at the site...www.indmowing.com.au ,could have another member....... :laughing:

bradtez
17-09-2004, 10:04 PM
My dingo contractor charges $55.00 per hour & $110.00 1st hour.

What are your charges.

$120 first hour $60 per hour plus travel

Rod
18-09-2004, 06:00 AM
Rod,

Thanks for clearing that up i was wondering what i was doing wrong :) I am going to have a shot at the pool thingie... i may ask a few questions if the need arises, hope you don't mind.

Brian

Brian,

First thing is to find a pool shop close by that will let you have a wholesale account (make sure it is wholesale.) Then make sure that they will give you advice over the phone when you ring most will. Water tests free in situations where your test kit does not give an answer.

Best of all, if you pass work onto him ie: Supply and fit new chlorination systems, pump burn out/repairs or new sales period whats in it for you? Sometimes you have to bring them on for a job that is either too big or would just take too long.

I have used three pool shops over the years trying to find the best deal. Hopefully my new one is, I put $3,000 through his till in one week about a month a go, surprised us both.

APS_QLD
18-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Rod,

I deal with one shop now and they look after me however i will check out the wholesale side of things. As for repairs and stuff i'm not interested in that area prefer to give it to them.

I'm more looking at taking a sample and test then add chemicals as required, if unsure take sample to shop plus just vacuuming. In doing that may get clean up around the gardens of the pool.

What the hell I'll give it a go.

Brian

Topcat
18-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Rod,

That sign looks like the goose's golden egg..... :laughing: