PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie question

TassieXJ
13-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi all, Im new to this site and have found it very helpfull and look forward to talking to you all.

Im a curater (full time) for a private schools sports ground in Tasmania and want to work for myself for a change. Im planing of starting small and working up enough to stop the full time job.

My question is when l first start getting calls to do jobs and they would like it done during the week, what do you tell them. because it wouldnt look good for me starting and cant do the job.

Cheers Alan

Fred's mowing
13-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Bit of a curly one, I drove cabs at night (although Im going back over 20 years now :rolleyes: ) but its gunna be harder doing it with a full time day job. I can only imagine your gunna have to squeeze em in b4 or after your regular job or on W/ends :i dunno: .
Good Luck.
Cheers Dean.

Wattle GC
14-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Hi all, Im new to this site and have found it very helpfull and look forward to talking to you all.

Im a curater (full time) for a private schools sports ground in Tasmania and want to work for myself for a change. Im planing of starting small and working up enough to stop the full time job.

My question is when l first start getting calls to do jobs and they would like it done during the week, what do you tell them. because it wouldnt look good for me starting and cant do the job.

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan..
I work full time and operate my business weekends..I was a victim of franchising and have had to get another job to get back on my feet but soon about to go full time again and cant wait..
My experiance is be honest with you clients and tell them you work part time for now.99% of them will be sympethic and will work around you as best as possible,this will also build a good customer relationship with good communication.Sure sometimes its tricky but with time management you will work it out.. Regards Michael.

chaplain
14-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Alan
Just have a try you have nothing to lose run an add in the local paper and as the other guys have said be honest with them and they wont have a problem with it .

DavidS
14-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi Alan,

I work fulltime as Gardener/Greenkeeper and then go and do other peoples gardens and lawns after work. I have always told all my clients that I work fulltime and I can only do their jobs after work and weekends. All my clients have been great about it, they know what time to expect me and if I have a problem I make certain I ring them. I also let them know if they want a big job done, if they give me a few weeks notice I can take a couple days off work to do their job. Great thing RDO's. I have a enough work that I actually have to knock back work now.

David

TassieXJ
14-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks everyone for there replys, very heplful

The Local Gardener
14-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi Tassiexj, welcome

Try the weekends. Be honest and true to your self. Don't get greedy because it becomes a mind game. Return your clients call within the hour if possible and good luck.. :wave-hi:

glassngrass
15-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Im a curater (full time) for a private schools sports ground in Tasmania ... Im planing of starting small and working up enough to stop the full time job.
Cheers Alan
Can you take approach your boss and change your hours to part time? As days get shorter, you just won't have time to service any clients otherwise.

Could you quit in August and throw yourself into it.

I was fortunate. My employer let me reduce hours to part-time (7am-noon) and take extended leave over spring (six weeks)/ I quit in August and never looked back.

TassieXJ
15-04-2009, 07:54 AM
l was just taking to the bussines manager the other day and drop a the hint of contrating out the sports ground. He didnt say no. So now l need to write something up, could work out ok

DAJ
20-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I had the same problem .I was working full time while starting a run.Most of the mowing i could do on Saturdays but i found some people objected to Sunday work.When i had to work during the normal work week i used up my sickies .I was leaving any way so i didnt care .The run grew very quickly once i did leave and all worked out well. :wave-hi: