PDA

View Full Version : seaweed as a mulch and feed

geejay
13-04-2009, 06:46 PM
seaweed makes a ideal mulch and feed for plants that are alkaline tolerant. Can be spread on top of the soil,do not dig in, upto 10cm in layers. The seaweed will break down quite fast, and add lots of organic feed to the soil.

Kim
14-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Yep have to agree with you there I live 10 mins from the beach and all my gardens have seaweed, feeds mulches, what I do is lay it over a pellet and let the rain wash the salt off then lay it on my garden beds. Even though I am 10 mins from the beach I have a 10 acre rural property which is very saline and I am on rain water so this is the only way I can do it without wasting water and adding to the salinity on my property.

geejay
16-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Yep have to agree with you there I live 10 mins from the beach and all my gardens have seaweed, feeds mulches, what I do is lay it over a pellet and let the rain wash the salt off then lay it on my garden beds. Even though I am 10 mins from the beach I have a 10 acre rural property which is very saline and I am on rain water so this is the only way I can do it without wasting water and adding to the salinity on my property.

hi kim,

a tip with seaweed,one does not have to wash it as even though it grows in very salty water,seaweed is designed in such a way that it repels salt water,yep, just put it straight in the garden bed,in layers up to 10cm thick,

Kim
17-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Well thats good to know, saves me alot of time thanks :wave-hi: