PDA

View Full Version : inner belief system

THEONE
31-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Simple questions you can ask yourself to begin to clarify and develop your strong inner belief system, so that you can make decisions that are right for you.

Self-acceptance gives you the much needed energy and room to grow

Having a strong value/inner belief system is very much dependent on our ability to accept ourselves-who we are, what we feel, how we see the world independent of what others say, think, feel and do.

The benefits of a strong inner belief system are varied and great:
Stronger self confidence
Healthy self esteem
Greater life satisfaction
Comfort with self and others
But how exactly does one go about developing this strong inner belief system?

Following are some questions for you to consider.

Finding the answers to these can help you begin to weed out the muck of "everybody else says," and get back to the purity and perfection of self-expression.

1. Explore what you currently believe: about work, life, people, yourself

Try a free-writing exercise.

Write each word (work, life, etc.) at the top of a page (one for each page) and then free associate for each word.

Write down whatever thoughts might be conjured up by the word at the top of the page.

Write until each page is full.

2. How much of what you believe is your own?

Take a look at what your wrote on each page.

Identify messages that may have come from parents, friends, family, peers, teachers, etc.

Identify the recurring themes?

Now, highlight the things you feel truly reflect who you are and what you believe.

3. How much of it is enabling versus disabling?

When you look at the messages that came from others, are they enabling and empowering?

Or are they limiting?

Now, look at the ones that reflect your own inner belief system-are those empowering or limiting?

How do they make you feel?

4. What do you want to believe?

Consider your true beliefs.

Do they reflect how you want to feel about life, work, people, yourself?

Write each idea or thought down on the left hand side of a page, and on the right hand side, write how you'd like to feel/think about each instead.

Reprogram yourself by identifying these limiting thoughts as they pop into your head, and replacing them with the thoughts and ideas you identified on the right hand side instead.

If you continue this exercise, you'll find the old limiting thoughts creeping up less and less, and the new empowering thoughts will begin to take their place.

5. What messages about life, people, work, yourself did you get from family as you shaped your personality?

Be prepared.

Messages from family members will continue to get repeated by them.

If you have chosen to reprogram any of their thoughts, values and beliefs, then be prepared to counter these beliefs whenever a family member articulates them.

6. What's your response when you express your belief and someone disagrees?

Consider how you might respond, should you share your beliefs with others, and find that they disagree.

Here's a hint: don't change your mind. It's ok that someone else believes differently from you-that's what makes the world go round after all.

Instead, simply state that you see life/work/people/etc. differently, and then repeat and reconfirm your belief to yourself.

As you explore your answers to these questions, and explore the exercises associated with each, you'll begin to realize that you do have a very strong belief system.

You may not always enforce or communicate it, but it's there, just as your spirit and soul give you life.

The hard part then, is in developing confidence in your ability to express, in an unwavering fashion, these beliefs.

Others will challenge, but see your ability to continue with your belief system intact as part of you own personal growth-an opportunity to test your belief, and should it continue to feel solid, restate and reinforce it strongly.

Once your belief system has been strengthened, you will find that others, having less confidence in their own beliefs, will seek you out.

Grow also then, by helping and encouraging others to tap into their own belief system and follow the process you used to get where you are now.

Charles
04-06-2004, 08:01 AM
Does it all really matter?
We do our 80 something years and then die. Thats about it

Indyanswer
04-06-2004, 11:51 PM
charles thats true but being able to see everything for what it really is is much more healthy. cHARLES IF I THOUGHT LIKE THAT THIS FORUM WOULDNT BE HERE AND NEITHER WOULD THESE WORDS SO MAY BE IT DOES MATTER.sTILL GOTTER GET THROUGH THOSE EIGHTY YEARS.

Charles
05-06-2004, 04:23 AM
We are just a fraction of a grain of sand in the universe. Destination-- death in a fraction of a grain of sand in time.
The only hope we have is that there is a powerful being inside of us waiting to get out of this nasty old body and be with a higher power.
Our self worth is highly overrated when viewed in the larger scheme of the Universe. Do we matter? Not hardly. You can do all these things the world thinks is so important and then die a horrible death at anytime. No rime or reason to it
Aliens maybe out there but they would have a hard time microscopic us out of the zillion other solar systems.
Just do your time and be delusional like most of the world

odin
05-06-2004, 07:49 AM
we may only be here 80 on average ...we can choose to live as a stick in the mud..or we can live life.
Everybody has a different opinion on what liveing life is...at one time time my theory of liveing was .. being on the edge..weather that edge was doing a job most thought was crazy and loveing it ..loveing the bullets flying around my head.. walking point in the a shau vally .

So for about 2 years after getting home my idea of a liveing life was ..running with biker ..fighting trying to more or less see if knives aned various other weapons could kill me ...amost died 3 times getting cutting cut up in wrangles with various rival bikers.

O but that was all funn ...liveing life to the fullest trying to kill yourself.......Everybody gets their change for a good life in these 80 or so years..i got my chance and made the best of it..now my idea of liveing life to the fullest is ..holding two little girls up toward the sun and telling them i love em and just being with my wife and them ..my sons and their families .........now that is what makes ithe 80 all worth liveing .
Maybe we dont amount to **** in the sceme of things ..but the time we do have we can die haveing led interesting full lives ..or die pieces of ****....we can determine what and how good our exsistence for them80 years is and how good the quality of our health is to .... . leaveing behind two strong sons and two daughters and family .. makes my little blimp on the screen of life worth the effort .

Tonyr
05-06-2004, 08:38 AM
You're right odin.

And Charles I can see your point...

We have 2 options really, live our lives and make the most of it and enjoy ourselves through our 80 year journey, or think we are nothing and believe just one person can't change anything and live without fun or hope or dreams...why do you bother mowing if in the big picture you are so small it won't leave an impact on the world in some way?

Cause as individuals we choose to survive because we have strong survival instincts, like ants really, we work till the day we die, that's the cycle, choosing to opt out...basically you couldn't survive and the quality of life would be poor, so why not get into the groove of civilisation and enjoy one day at a time.

If you don't live for the moment and try to see good in things, the depression will eat you up and you'll be stuffed, no point in that!

We all have inner belief, you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning without it, fact!

odin
06-06-2004, 06:01 AM
right on tony ...so we might not be rich or powerful ...hey but if we leave behind people who love us..wives childeren..damn that is what is richs to me ..my wife my little daughters ..how much more rich could a man be then to be surrounded my three italian (well two of em are scotch -wop italians :D )beauties :D

robscl
06-06-2004, 10:26 AM
AMEN Tony and Odin

From my point of view we get one shot at this world and I reckon we should give it the best shot we can give it.

History if full of ordinary people changing the lives of many both for better and worse, and while most of us here may not be a nelson Mandella or heavens forbid an Adolph Hitler we can certainly make a difference to the people around us.

A life without any vision or purpose IMO would be a very very sad existence indeed, and I feel I have a responsibility to my kids to seta good example and I owe it to myself as well to be the best I can be. This is one little spec of sand that is gonna have a good time on the beach.

THEONE

You sound like your into personal development in a big way,have you done any of Tony Robbins stuff? I'm doing his Get the edge program as we speak, I've also done his Personal PowerII and attended his UPW seminar in 98 and always got good results from his techniques.

Rob :)

Easycareacres
07-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Well I dam well hope I make 80, as only mow for beer money lol :D

administrator
16-08-2009, 07:46 AM
The pass it forward princible is what we all need to do .

Redeye
16-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Just read the first post....wtf??

geoff
16-08-2009, 08:54 PM
me too WTF??? but theres plenty more of that on here :russ:

ian
16-08-2009, 10:44 PM
the truly enlightened can understand the written word by reading between the lines and understanding the intentions of the writer

ian
16-08-2009, 10:47 PM
but smoking a lot of dope, poping some tablets and drinking a couple of bottles of spirits may also help in this instance :)

geoff
16-08-2009, 10:59 PM
but smoking a lot of dope, poping some tablets and drinking a couple of bottles of spirits may also help in this instance :)
sure your not on that weed stuff Ian

ian
16-08-2009, 11:10 PM
a weed by definition is any plant growing where it is not wanted so i definitely am not smoking anything i would define as weed :)