PDA

View Full Version : Don't Forget

pbm
28-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Hi Guys and Girls....as we all work out in the hot Aussie sun...unless you live in Melbourne..eh eh..it is important that you get your moles and spots checked out for skin cancer. I go to a MoleMax centre where they actually take photos of your moles enlarge them 30X times and store them. When you go back next year they compare them and note any changes...IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!
Phone 1900 930 400 for the location of your nearest clinic Australia wide. :aus-flag:

mojo111
28-09-2004, 10:49 PM
SLIP! SLOP! SLAP!! :) to true!

Alex Callaghan
29-09-2004, 10:50 AM
I've got this mole type thing on my shoulder thats kinda grown a bit and gone a ligther shade of brown over the last couple of years. It has a hair that grows out of it that I have to pull out evry couple of months.

Someone told me a while back that moles with hairs in em aren't susseptable to melanoma.

Anybody else heard that?

Seems like a load of rubbish now i think about it but I belived it when I was told. Lol.

sharon
29-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Someone told me a while back that moles with hairs in em aren't susseptable to melanoma.

Anybody else heard that?

No I have not heard that but some moles are ok however it is always best to get them looked at and keep an eye on them so you know if they change.Best to be on the safe side.
:wave-hi: sharon

Ebony
29-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Haven't ever heard that one Alex, and wouldn't make to much sense to me.

I just had a quick squiz on the net and other then cosmetic information, there is no real reference to hairs and moles.

Extract from The American Osteopathic College of Dermatology website ( www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/moles.html )

"... They can be raised from the skin and very noticeable, or they may contain dark hairs. Having hairs in a mole doesn't make it more dangerous. "

I am thinking there may be a fairly common opinion opposite to yours for them to mention this.

From what I have read just now I am confident what you have been told is not the case.

Ebony

mick
29-09-2004, 03:52 PM
When in doubt, cut em out! :russ: heee
God they have to cut deep when removing moles! Had some taken out as a kid, they were getting rubbed off everytime I went surfing. They were near my belly button!

For me, the damage is already done with all the surfing, landscaping as a younger person. I am however lucky in the fact that I brown up pretty well but I still wear a hat and sun block on my nose. Ear muffs protect my ears. Luckily I havent had any problems yet (touch wood) but I'm sure I'll get something sooner or later.