PDA

View Full Version : Paspalum in the Blue Couch

Alex Callaghan
30-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Does anybody know about getting well established Paspalum out of Blue Couch?
Usually I'm treating Blue Couch here for Winter Grass, Clover, Oxalis and somtimes nut grass but this Lawn I had a look at this morns full of established Paspalum.

I know Paspalums hard to get rid of at the best of times even when your airel spraying with tordon or Tryqaute, gramoxone and its not in a crop situation.

I hope somone has some info on this for me. I don't want to have to dig it out!!

I don't like my chances but I thought I'd run it buy yas anyway.

mojo111
30-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Don't know Alex :i dunno: I just use roundup on everything LOL :laughing: :laughing: KILL IT ALL! :laughing: :laughing:

Rod
02-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Alex hope this helps,

The majority of broadleaf weeds in the lawn can be controlled with a range of selective herbicides. However there are fewer selective herbicide options available for the control of grass weeds and sedges in the lawn. Summer grass, barnyard grass and paspalum can be controlled with selective herbicides containing the active constituent DSMA, while nut grass and mullimbimby couch can be controlled with selective herbicides containing the active constituent DSMA, or halosulfuron methyl .

Arsenicals compound are used as herbicides are dimethylarsinic acid (DMSA) and disodium methyl arsenate (DSMA). The majority of the DMSA and DSMA are supplied in combination with other herbicides such as 2,4-D sodium salt monohydrate and diuron.

Rod
02-10-2004, 10:45 AM
HI Alex,

I checked all my reference material it appears almost every Herbicide with DMSA cannot be used on Blue Couch or Buffalo. "Bugger."

Rod
02-10-2004, 11:08 AM
In turf, spot applications, wiping, or painting of glyphosate solution onto the crowns of Paspalum plants will provide control. The areas may need oversowing with turf species after the paspalum plants have been eliminated.

The best my resources can offer apart from digging out.

Its the blue couch that makes treatment difficult.

Sorry Alex, no Silver bullet.

Alex Callaghan
02-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Thanks anyway Rod.

Couch $hits me to tears mate. I can't stant the stuff. Generally Couch requires a weekly high maintanece regime, particually for weed control and I'm well and truley over having moreons call me up and say that thier Blue Couch lawn is full of weeds!. So many people use it around here because it's cheaper than the soft leave buffalow the local turf mob sell.
It's got $hit house winter couler, Has absolutly no ability to compet with weeds even when it's mowed at the correct hights and seem to look like crap unless it's laid in a 100m deep bed of turf underlay.
People are moreons here! They can pay an extra $2 a meter for the buffalow and have a great lawn that has excewllant winter couler, Because has stolans and no rizhomes it's great around gardens, without the risk of envasion, It compets with weeds and looks bloody great!! And generally is very easy to look arfter.

Sorry bout the rant..........It just really really $hits me that so many people chose couch here and then wonder why it full of weeds and looks crap! They could make up that extra $2 on the buffalow through just having to mow it and not worrie bout being a greenkeeper to look arfter it!!

I'd rather not have to deal with couch at all!!

If I was a FULL TIME groundsman on a big property with couch it would be fine but all these whackas think I can turn their $hit couch lawn from an absolute heap of crap into a bowling green cheaply and fast.
Sick of dealing with F'n idiots!!

Tonyr
02-10-2004, 01:44 PM
I agree, the cheap asses here buy that ultra crap, ultra cheap couch, you know that wirey, thin muck....grows in parks.

and yes it gets weeds, and gets scruffy, and wavkos want a manicured lawn in one service....yeah right!

Couch is **** here, can't handle the heat and sand, but it's cheap, and the hybrid, greenless park, absolute ****! (here)

I see some palmetto around now on flash homes, very nice and lush, and sir walter, i love this stuff! never had a chance to cut it yet though, but couch never looks healthy unless in the middle of a wet hot season, any other time it is a bloody dry looking weed.

I agree with ya 100%....

even wish we had kikuya, but none here....

then the vacant blocks with green panick and rhodes....oh what fun! lol.

talkin about this on a weekend is a sign of insanity surely LOL.

Rod
02-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Alex,

I Use Amicide 625 for blue couch. Made buy Nufarm. Although Paspalum is not a problem up north.

http://www.pestgenie.com.au/search/default.asp?function=GetProduct&PestGenie=Y&MasterTypeID=0&CompanyID=0&Details=Y&ProductID=210940

It was recommended to me by a Green keeper and I have found effective on almost every weed in Townsville (sempra added) I can also take out nut grass too.

Alex Callaghan
02-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Bloody oath mate.

Don't get me wrong. I've seen some reeeally nice couch lawn but they are looked arfter on a strict regime (most likely comunist :laughing: :laughing: ) Couch is not practical for ya average Joe blow lawn but is good in high wear situations like parks and sport fields etc where it's looked arfter very well and more importantly the right prep is done before it's layed. Prep can make or break a lawn.

But yeh..........It's $hit alright.
It's not even nice to cut let alone treat for weeds etc.
Generally too high maintanence for ya average home owner and if these moreons took the time to research the turf that they are paying for and having installed they might think that the extra $2 a meter or what ever for a good low maintanece turf would cancell out the long term hassels and maintanece costs they would be paying.
But no..........These moreons are too short sighted to do that and see the price difference and want to save a buck RIGHT NOW.

Here's a pic of the Sir Walter at my place. These whackas could have a lawn that looks like this if they weren't so tight, ignorant and short sighted!

Alex Callaghan
02-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Alex,

I Use Amicide 625 for blue couch. Made buy Nufarm. Although Paspalum is not a problem up north.

http://www.pestgenie.com.au/search/default.asp?function=GetProduct&PestGenie=Y&MasterTypeID=0&CompanyID=0&Details=Y&ProductID=210940

It was recommended to me by a Green keeper and I have found effective on almost every weed in Townsville (sempra added) I can also take out nut grass too.

Thanks Rod,

I know how to deal with most weed issues in Couch mate. It just needs to much attention to be kept pristien.
I don't think it's a wise choice for the average home owner! If the turf prep was done corectly in the first place and they wanted coming twice a week to look arfter it and to have it verti cut once or twice a year, topsoiled in the spring, Dethached once a year. They would have a really nice lawn but the people (here) that chose couch are the ones that are looking to save money so it just dosn't work out!

I use Sempra and Kamba-M, Poa Check, Pre-M's mainly and have had great sucsess with them.
If these silly women that owned the house with the Paspalum in the lawn had have preped for the turf to start off with they wouldn't have a probalem but there is no way I'm taking this job.
I'm going to suggest re turfing and if she say's no I'll tell her good luck with it.
I'm not digging paspalam out our going around and painting each indervidual paspalum with Gramoxone or somthing.
She should have used her brain or seeked advise from sombody who knew what they were on about before she layed!!
Silly women!!

Rod
02-10-2004, 02:17 PM
I agree with your assessment of Couch. It can look terrific if the customer has a big wallet.

I look after several properties on Castle Hill here in Townsville (both Doctors with couch.) We visit and maintain these properties weekly and have total control of their lawns and gardens.

And that is the only way to do it. Their lawns look fantastic so much so that a roller mower is now probably the way to go.

You have to be there every week for that bowling green appearance.

screwdriverphillips
04-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Interesting to hear everyone hates couch in WA 90% of lawns will be couch even thou I prefer buffola as a lawn and also to mow everyone has couch but we dont mow the couch with a rotary unless it not been mown for a while we use the reel mowers and regularly cut they come up great the problem with using a rotary on couch it just becomes too spongy and is a pain too mow.
So if youve got a spare $4000 buy yourself a reel mower and you will do the job in half the time and it will come up well.
From Screwdriverphillips
Ezy Mowing
Melros Mandurah WA :)

Alex Callaghan
07-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Just an update on this lawn.

I've sold the owners on a new lawn install...........Yipeeee :)

They are getting a new Palmeto lawn.
It's sandy soil there so bobcat driver is in end of next week taking away top 300mm ready for turf underlay.

I'm still waiting on them to get back to me to confirm the Irigation part of the qoute.
Hope they want it Irigated.
I qouted for a fully Automated system............4 station programable controller (2 for the lawn and 2 for the garden), rain sensor, frost sensor, Dual check valve, Disk fillter, presure reg valves etc.

Good job if I land it.

APS_QLD
07-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Good luck on getting the job. Take some photos I would be interested to see how you went about the job.

Brian