PDA

View Full Version : Jims Mowing

APS_QLD
30-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Checking out the local rag and has anyone else noticed that Jim's has expanded into Jims Fencing, Jims Handyman, Jims Irrigation Jims Antennas and the latest is Jims Computers (1/4 page add) all with the bearded gent as the head figure.

Boy are jims growing, I wonder if not to quickly. Has anyone else noticed that or is it a local thing i wonder.

Jim's Mowing Franchisees want to cut and run

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=38035#post38035

Brian

mojo111
30-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Yep seen the fencing / antennas guys up here to .
Jims starting to get his fingers into everything allright.

Moe
01-10-2004, 06:04 AM
Jims starting to get his fingers into everything allright.

Yeah... whats next?... Jims massage parlours, I wonder if he'll get his fingers into that :laughing:

sharon
01-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Yer Jims accounting, Jims saussage sizzle i think there is about 20 things, Jims electrical and the list goes on. :) sharon

APS_QLD
01-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Not that i'm complaining at all........ good luck to them, its just i have not taken any notice before until i guess when i read the adds section in our local paper.

Brian

mojo111
01-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Yeah... whats next?... Jims massage parlours, I wonder if he'll get his fingers into that :laughing:

Jims fish fingers! ;frosty; :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pbm
01-10-2004, 08:09 PM
A guy that I know recently bought a Jims Comptuters franchise

Rod
01-10-2004, 08:27 PM
I heard mentioned they were in to "Surround Sound/Home Theater?"

Topcat
04-10-2004, 09:08 PM
As an xjim,1 years- they where talking about taking paving of the old guys cos now adelaide bought paving.

Irrigation, if ya want to do that as a mowing guy you gotta buy the rights about $14,000 on top of ya mowing & if ya want to be a handyman another $14,000.

Trees was a mowing guys cream- till the jim had mowing guys cut down buy the insurance company to 5 mtrs & mowing guys feet must be on the ground at all times- or they are not covered...

Antennas, is owned by a guy from Mr Antennas.

All you need is a lot of $$$debt & ya can put jims name on your thing.

APS_QLD
05-10-2004, 06:30 AM
I was speaking to a mate across the road yesterday and he was talking to a fanchise guy earlier in the week at the tip and this poor fella was near in tears. He bought into a franchise because he wanted some sercuity but because of the drought he has hardly any work and is busting his ass to do anything but still has his fees to pay and at the end of it he has nothing or bugger left for his effort or family.

I fell sorry for this guy to be honest.

Brian

Pain in the Grass
05-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Yeah you know whether we as Indies or them as franchisees....we're all doin it tough....The guy who buys a franchise is no better or worse than us...He blleds too when things are rough...Only difference is we dont have those monthly fees to keep forking out.....

You'd think that old Jim Pemberton (or whatever the jeck his name is) would give those guys a break and wave the fees during the drought.....

What's the odds though...Buckleys and none....the stingy money hungry #%*& ;frosty; ;frosty;

mojo111
05-10-2004, 08:55 PM
I heard somewear that Jims Mowing was the largest independently
owned franchiser in the world.???? :i dunno:

Ya think he'd cut his boys some slack. For sure------------------Not.

Topcat
06-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Hey,

for Xmas jims guys get a letter telling em -the CPI has gone up & then adds it on thier Monthly fees.

Merry Xmas from Jim

Topcat
06-10-2004, 03:49 PM
I heard somewear that Jims Mowing was the largest independently
owned franchiser in the world.???? :i dunno:

Ya think he'd cut his boys some slack. For sure------------------Not.

:( Listening to Jim on the wireless 2day, 2500 mowing franchisee's on the road 2day...

Pain in the Grass
06-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Yeah and 2400 of "em are in my neck of the woods :laughing: :laughing: :dean: :dean:

Alex Callaghan
06-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Nothin wrong with competition.

When you'r very good at what you do and take alot of pride competition just makes you look that much better.

Topcat
06-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Yeah and 2400 of "em are in my neck of the woods :laughing: :laughing: :dean: :dean:

:rolleyes: I got about 20 around my that I trained & put on the road. :sad:

:frightene ya orta see the clients face, when they say they called jims/ I know the bloke by name & car & how they charge, all I do is fly under the radar...... :laughing: the jobs mine......

:russ: They recommended me to the client......... :laughing: :laughing:

Then I tell the client I trained him.......

cadase
19-03-2006, 12:01 AM
jim's gym's

SBLAWNMOWERMAN
25-03-2006, 07:46 AM
WAIT FOR IT I RECKON ITS COMIN

:) JIMS RED LIGHT PARLOUR

i reckon he might have thought of it, but his logo, kind of might attract bugger all bussiness. lol

chatza
24-04-2006, 01:23 PM
I’m looking into starting out now and looking into a franchise opportunity where they grantee your income so if you buy into $1000p/w work and they give you only $800 worth for that week they pay the extra $200. I will call them again this week and find out what there initial outlay is.

Any opinions

Bargain Stickers
25-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Hi Chatza, you can go into the franchises, but, expect to pay a monthly franchise fee for the duration of your time in ownership of a franchise. Jim's = minimum of $450/mo.. V.I.P. = approx. 500 or more/mo. and James Home Services = 15% of your gross earnings plus other fees. I'm not sure if you're aware, but the franchises only guarantee your salary anywhere from 8 - 13 weeks. What happens after that? Well, most likely the next new guy will receive the phone calls of all the new business because they have live up to their end of the bargain with you now. With Jim's you can pay 14k for a franchise that consists of only territory and very little if any customers at all. If you buy an existing franchise expect to pay around 30k for jims and v.i.p. And here's the best one of all. With James you will pay about 27k for all of your equip., trailer, advertising material, etc. but no customers to start off with.
I've started in business myself less than a month ago and have done pretty well with very little customers and have locked in quite a few regular customers already. I've had more time to learn and THE GUYS ON THIS FORUM ARE EXTREMELY HELPFUL. Best of all, I have less expenses than with a franchises and get to keep my profit per job instead of having to share it. GOOD LUCK CHATZ and I hope this info will help you make the best decision for you.

steve
01-06-2006, 07:40 PM
:( Listening to Jim on the wireless 2day, 2500 mowing franchisee's on the road 2day...
dont you wonder how so many of them are about but still seem to be making money????????

administrator
03-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Jims Funerals will be next the good thing about Jims if you want to start a business say funerals just knock on his door tell him that u want to do Funerals and use his name he says by crikey no problems what a great idea give me money and there you go
its all done

to easy and u know what good luck to him

Bargain Stickers
03-06-2006, 08:48 PM
So that's why Chatza hasn't responded to the post. He's gone to Jim's to ask him to start the funeral biz. Hope you've started mowing Chatza. Good luck!! I'm loving the lawn mowing business.

chatza
04-06-2006, 05:04 PM
alrosamowing

Haven’t bought into a franchisee im starting up now registered a business name and abn last week just putting a deposit on a Ute this week and once i get the Ute i will buy machinery gotten lots of quotes on mowers ect. Have 2 real estate agents wanting my services and a few others here and there. Sounds like i will have to quit my full time gardening job at the school soon i hope and start earning some real money :russ:

Lancat
22-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Chatza Just some advise don't sell your self short with the estate agent work. When I started out I was approached by two local agents from the add I was running in the local paper.

Both were looking for new mower man. I drove around with both of the agents and looked at their clients properties. Every client I went to was on monthly cuts and the agent had already set a rate. A rate way under my rate and from experience way under the current rate.

Each agent had the same story about why they were looking for a new contractor. The current contractor was unreliable had poor quality of work and the contractor wanting to narrow down the time between cuts during the growing session.

One agent even claimed that he was using (unknown to him) one of my mates as a contractor. A false claim as I worked for my mate whilst building my business up.

The truth was the agents seen my ad in the local paper and was looking for someone to cut there clients lawns at a lower rate.

chatza
12-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the advice lancast.
Doing my first quote this week its a garden make over which should be fun and the guy is getting me to become his regular mower man which is a nice start.

administrator
31-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Dead right lancat
:russ:

SEE ALSO

AUSSIE TALK ABOUT FORUM > Contractors Forums > Lawn Maintenenace
Reload this Page Disgruntled franchisee

administrator
02-02-2007, 08:20 PM
from www.cbc.ca

Cell phone study rings up new worries

A study leaked to the British press claims that long-term use of cell phones may cause short-term memory loss.
The research involved 36 hospital volunteers in Bristol. Half those in the study used cellular phones for 30-minutes a day, while the other half did not.

In memory tests afterwards, the first group consistently performed less well on recall tests.

While scientists are hesitant to make a clear-cut connection between cells and memory loss, they suggest there is a solid link .

"All I am saying just now, is that the relationship is unclear," says Professor Jim Penman of Aberdeen University. "Until that is clarified, it would be sensible to take simple precautions if they can be taken."

The final results of the study are set to be released in April, and Britain's eight million cellular customers are now being advised to connect their mobiles to ear pieces. The devices keep low-level radiation waves away from the brain.

yes i know what you gunna say wheres me phone

bigG
03-02-2007, 09:37 AM
surely it is not the same guy

administrator
03-02-2007, 10:54 AM
lol yes sure NOT

Mind you hes just done a deal

Jims Mobile phones

haireyscarie
03-02-2007, 11:08 AM
nar dont think so
have a look'
[IMG]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/285000/images/_288245_jimpenman150.jpg[IMG]

haireyscarie
03-02-2007, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=haireyscarie]nar dont think so
have a look'
[IMG]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/285000/images/_288245_jimpenman150.jpg[IMG]

ME STUFFED IT UPis this jim NOT (http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/285000/images/_288245_jimpenman150.jpg)

Wggc
24-03-2007, 10:35 PM
maybe we should all look @ joining together like say amway etc & wipe old jim off the map & make some extra $$$ by joinin people in the industry !!!!!! :frightene :laughing: hahahahahaahaaa mowing & earning a commision off others ;) lol wouldnt that put a shiver down jim's spine !!!

Wggc
24-03-2007, 10:36 PM
maybe we could get jim to join in !!! hahahahahahaahahaaa ;frosty;

chaplain
07-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Jims must be starting a new business
sell old trailers and make new purchaser paint them :i dunno:

Shepparton Lawn Care
07-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Was flicking through trailers in EBay and there is one at the moment that looks as if the bearded man has just been removed and everything else left on :i dunno:

chatza
12-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Saw a jims mowing ad in the local saying there sorry for turning away customers because they have a massave lack of franchisees and if any one wants to join to call them.

I wonder why :laughing:

Sandgroper
12-11-2007, 11:08 PM
All the ones they are turning away a large percentage would be crap that independents refer to them, all my crap customers i give jims or VIP s number,,they have to start at the bottom like the rest of us :) Keeps them busy lol

chaplain
20-11-2007, 01:39 PM
i also found this on http://www.notgoodenough.org/index.php?page=57&sid=28a674cc9cb023c74ff6ee00b831c3c0#jims

Jim's Dog Wash

NGE Member: Roughcoat says:

We became Regional Franchisors in a division that showed a lot of promise for us in the Gold Coast and South Brisbane regions (Dog Wash).

Firstly we became franchisees in late 2003. In an ominous omen of what was to come, the centre piece of the franchise (the trailer) was delayed and not delivered until March 2004. While we waited ever so patiently, we were approached to become Regional Franchisors. I started as Regional Franchisor and as a Franchisee on 1 April 2004.

By October, I had sold my third franchise. Almost immediately the wheels fell off.

Our Divisional Franchisor (manager of Dog Wash) confronted the trailer manufacturer over a price increase. Apparently there was quite a heated argument with the result being the trailer manufacturer refusal to build any trailers for our division for the foreseeable future.

With no other manufacturer building a trailer that was deemed suitable by the Divisional Franchisor, he found a fibreglass boat builder on the Gold Coast, but did no back ground checks. This boat builder agreed to produce a mould and build trailers for the division. First, though, he needed a trailer to use as a template.

As the builder was in my area, I volunteered my trailer, on the proviso that my trailer was needed for only two weeks. Two weeks became six months. I eventually got my trailer back in March, severally damaged with no hope of compensation from the builder or Jim’s, and the division still had no trailers from this manufacturer.

Meanwhile another manufacturer was sourced in Melbourne, and while they completed moulds by February, they decided not to produce trailers. The moulds were then shipped to Tasmania where another company started production.

In a desperate attempt to keep financial, I have sold an investment property, sold a car, and taken out loans. I now work as a salaried employee in Brisbane city Monday to Friday, and work Saturday and Sunday washing dogs in my woeful trailer. I have a beautiful 5 month old daughter and am equally beautiful wife who hardly see me. I am exhausted and broke.

Each month a new demand for $1100 in fees arrives which I can’t pay. The damage to my income earning potential has never been fully recognised by Jim who has insisted on payment of monthly fees and royalties.

Eventually Jim agreed to let me pay fees off over a period of twelve months, but as yet nothing has been produced in writing to advise me how this is to be done, nor does the accounts department know of this arrangement.

Only two days ago I received a new demand from the accounts department now saying that payment is due in full within ten days, and failure to pay will see me summons to court and my Franchisor region terminated.

It’s a sad refection on Jim’s Dog Wash that I am not alone. Indeed, two other Franchisors are in the same boat as me. Broke and struggling to survive.

NGE Note

This feedback was forwarded to the National communications Manger on Monday 15 August on email address: jills@jims.net

Sandgroper
20-11-2007, 04:36 PM
I was reading a business magazine about the dangers of franchises once, i cant remember all the details but it went on to say how the wheels fall of franchises, a set of circumstances that sink the ship, dont be suprised if Jims or any other the others sink, its happened before with major franchise companys.

A lot of people will be very suprised, i wont be one of them . ;)

Sandgroper
20-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Thats true in 20 years we could be talking on here.

The threads will be "does anybody remember Jims" ? :laughing:

administrator
19-07-2008, 12:28 PM
People dont live for ever nor do businessess

Corporate landscape changes all the time Ansett Compass yates lawnmowing franchise etc

Life just keeps rolling on generations pass away new ones begin

i will be dead in say twenty years or less but the world is still there just movin along
Memories fade and futures flourish

THATS LIFE
:russ:

lawn order
19-07-2008, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=administrator]from www.cbc.ca

Cell phone study rings up new worries

advised to connect their mobiles to ear pieces. The devices keep low-level radiation waves away from the brain.

I am not sure about all that - but tell me, why do you want to keep it away from Brian.

administrator
23-03-2010, 10:35 AM
http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=7983&page=1&pp=15&highlight=jims+mowing

administrator
05-03-2013, 09:31 PM
SO MANY FAILED & FAILING BUSINESSES
http://www.jimpenmanthetruth3.com/page3.php
Jim’s Group Division Record [i]

18 failures out of 52, and no doubt more to come.
A 35% failure rate- definitely not a record to be proud of, and flies in the face of media statements made by Penman regarding failures.
· Alarms 2000 – 2005
· Appliances 2001 – 2008
· Concreting 2003 – 2005
· Driving School 2000 – 2007
· Earthworks 2004 – 2005
· Garden Kerbing 2003 – 2005
· Graffiti Solution 2007 – 2008
· Health E Air 2003 – 2008
· Irrigation 2002 – 2006
· Mobile BBQ 1999 – 2005
· Mobile Hairdressing 2003 – 2005
· Mobile Mechanics 1999 - 2000
· Pergolas 2003 – 2012
· Pool Care – Retail 2003 – 2009
· Preggi Bellies 2002 – 2004
· Sand Soil Gravel 2001 – 2002
· Wardrobes 1999 – 2006
· Windscreens 2005 - 2012

Plus other short lived divisions which have not been included in the Disclosure: Barterbanc, Dingoes, Pet Enclosures, Locksmiths, Removals, Pest Control, Beach House, Balloons, Roller shutters and Bath Resurfacing.
Some of which you will no doubt will see revisited for a second go in 2013.

A true failure rate of a staggering 45%

CAVEAT EMPTOR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[i]Source: Jimileaks Jim’s Group Disclosure Document Oct 2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the last 10 years well over 3500 franchisees have left the Mowing division alone (an attrition rate of well over 100%).
WHY?
Mowing franchisees stay on average for only 4.5 years.
WHY?
Only 6 Divisions are showing any real growth.
WHY?

“It is always the best policy to tell the truth, unless of course you are an exceptionally good liar.”

Jerome K. Jerome

AJD Mowing
06-03-2013, 05:57 AM
I feel sorry for carnage he has left on the way, all the hard working mums and dads that got sucked into pushing his barrow.

djkgrounds
28-05-2013, 05:54 PM
I seen a Jim's Dog wash and grooming the other day. He's got his fingers in all pockets.

happymowin
28-05-2013, 07:55 PM
lol imagine paying jim $30,000 to show you how to wash dogs, then paying the weekly fees, the lead fees, etc etc etc.