PDA

View Full Version : NEW Empire Zoysia.....Avalible in a warm season Genus

Alex Callaghan
02-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Here's a qoute from L/Scape Manager Mag on Empire Zoysia.

"Recently a new warm season grass type has become avalible. 'Empire Zoysia' is a tough, extremly drought tolerant grass, that once established is very easy to maintain. Even in drought, it keeps a tight mat, that makes it hard for weeds to invade, and it's resistance to many chemicals makes weed control in Empire easy. Empire Zoysia has very high wear tolerance, unlike other Zoysia's, given fertiliser it grows quickly once warm weather sets in. Empire has good shade tolerance when mown above 40mm in hight."

It's avalible in Viro cells witch are like tube stock but have grass in them so it makes a cheaper alternative for people that can't afford for it to be installed in a Sod form.

Anyway, I'm gunna lay on my nature strip and around in my back yard and use it in a bit of a portfolio if it preforms well.
With the weather the way it is and the water issues we are having I thinks it important that we all start looking at more sustainable alteranatives to the more coman grasses we are used to dealing with for the sake of the industrie. People will be laying that plastic turf stuff and putting garden beds with drought tolerant plants over thier lawns in the future if we don't start being a bit more proactive and pushing the more drought tolerant, practical and self sustainable alternatives I reakon. I know this is a way away yet but from all this global warming stuff and Australia being an arid contenent I think it important that we start to push the better alternatives if not for our selfs but for the next generation of lawn guys!
I'm gunna make up a portfolio booklet on Empire giving the low down on it and include some photos and arfter I've layed a bit mabey some testimonials etc and post one to all my clients.
The fact that it's avalibel in viro cells makes it a viable and affordable choice for most people. I think selling people on the fact that they will be saving money on water bills, maintanence etc and have an attrctive lawn that is very prctical for active famialys etc.
Also I'm gunna do a bit of reasearch on the weather and some of the global warming predictions and average anual rainfall changes etc and include that in me little booklet as a bit of a scare tactic if not a true fact and representation of how weather is changing and people need to act if they want to keep the same lifestyle.

I know It might sound like I'm having a bit of a toss here but I think this is anImportant issue (Not empire Zoysia) but the weather and how things are changing and the fact that we can't expect to continue in this buisness and be sustained by being lawn care proffesionals if we just sit back and continue the way we are now.
I reakon we have to adapt and that what I'm going to start to do and it would be great if we all started to take the path that is going to help with the long term sustainabilty and viablity of the industrie!

mojo111
02-10-2004, 12:54 PM
I think its called job creativity. :laughing: :laughing:
Good points tho Alex
Keep us posted on the grass progress.
Cheers.

Alex Callaghan
02-10-2004, 01:13 PM
I reakon it's called moving with the times and helping the future of the industrie.
Yeh.........I'm gunna get some work out of it and at the same time it's gunna make my life easyer as far as maintanece goes.

Thats the kinda attitude that'll sink the industrie into a hole IMO.
We need to make money and be creative with sales but why not create a better future for the the industrie and make life easyer for our selfs at the same time.

I think right now there are suttle changes happening and they are going to become more substantial changes before long and we'll be left with our d1cks flying in in the wind.

I'm not having a go at you at all mate!!! I'm just trying to push my point and it is only my opinion but I really think I'm right.

Also..........forgot to post the website.
www.empireturf.com.au

BTW.....Don't get me wrong.......I'm not saying that Zoysia is the means to the ends in any way. I'm just using it as an example. There are lots of things we can be doing like learning how to install water tanks and those water sac things and lots of other things.
Things are changine and so are peoples attitudes as far as weather and being "water wise" goes and we can sit back and just keep doing what we're doing or we can move with it and get it to work to our advantage.

mojo111
02-10-2004, 01:35 PM
I agree with ya Alex, Our industry is not self sustaining so we have to think ahead to save it for future generations and our selves.

Im allways looking for an easyer way of doin things.
Work smarter not harder. And if it can help the enviroment all the better.

Alex Callaghan
02-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Yep......well said.

I think it's time we start to ease into the change so when the time comes we don't have to jump straight into the deep end.

Times are changing and we should go with the flow if not be a couple of steeps ahead of it :)

mick
03-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Its the builders who put this couch down. Its cheap and covers a multitude of sins. Its even called "Builders A, B, C" etc. Sometimes you can even pick it up for $1.50 a meter. Its cr@p but it does its job!
I've layed 1000's of meters of this stuff and its always the builder who chooses. As long as it looks nice while the house is being sold, thats all they want. Take the money and run!

craig
07-10-2004, 10:03 PM
Alex I'm all for it. I've been pushing sir walter[buffalo] myself. Drought & shade tolerant a bit expensive [$9-$10m] but none of my client's have complained once they see the benefits.Less mowing less watering less fert etc. If we all make our clients aware of the benefits of low maintenance variety's, we create work for ourselves. I'm run of my feet currently doing returfs,while many guys are going broke waiting for summer rains. What we lose in maintenance we pick up in construction.Giving a less seasonal nature to the business.The client wins with longterm savings in maintenance & I don't waste time trying to improve lawns that are never going to be great lawns.Keep it up regards Craig

APS_QLD
08-10-2004, 06:29 AM
I've had a few people ask about lawns and have installed a couple. A pity Sir Walter is so expensive. All of the people that sell Sir Walter have joined together and will not sell it for less does not matter whom you call.

I am interested in how people charge for installing new lawns do you do it by the metre. IE $10 a sq m for turf 1.50 a sq m to install? Why i ask this is its sounds cheap. However this is what i was quoted by one company to do a yard.

When in majority of cases you will need to take soil out and put in place some good soil for the new turf. Maybe theye where just removing the old grass and just laying on top without any prep.

Brian

Alex Callaghan
08-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Brian RE: Lawn Installs

Say the lawn is 200Sqm resonably flat with a couple of small trees and the existing soild is loamy and pretty decent.

Sir Walter @ $9.00Sqm + $50 delivery ------------------$1850.00

Turfundelay @ $44.00Cbm + $60 delivery----------------$940.00
(1Cbm Covers 10 Square meters at 100mm deep so I'd need 20 cubes)

Bobcat hire @ $70.00P/h for 2 1/2 hours ---------------$175.00

Bag of starter fert @ $70 per bag-----------------------$70.00

Turf roller hire @ $25 per day for 1 day------------------$25.00

----------
$3060.00

Then I'd add that figure on top again less about 10% to make about $5508 for for a total including labour. Depending on acsess.

Lots of other materials you have to take into account with some intalls..........Ag pipe, blue metal, geotextile fabric, marking paint, Liquid gypsum, trecher hire.

mick
08-10-2004, 08:19 PM
$5508 for for a total including labour. Depending on acsess.

Lots of other materials you have to take into account with some intalls..........Ag pipe, blue metal, geotextile fabric, marking paint, Liquid gypsum, trecher hire.

There lies the problem! It takes away from builders profits to spend so much when they can get it for a fraction of the price! If you get lucky to get a re-turf job and the money dont matter then push for it but people generally just dont want to pay it! Frankly, I dont blame them! Why pay twice as much for something that does the same job,..... Covers dirt! They dont care that it would be nicer looking for longer and cheaper to look after etc. As long as it covers the dirt!

If the price came down from the ridiculous price of $9/m that I saw the other day it would be used way more often. Its up to the growers/turf farms to get off there high horse and realize its just grass. They have to be registered to grow Sir Walter therefore fewer growers or less competition! If the price came down, more people would buy it, therefore more going out, therefore more money for themselves!

Sorry! Just piszes me off when companies hold off things that would make the place better for there own profit!

I would suggest looking for Turf Co's that aren't registered (for Sir Walter). Find them and get it cheaper.

Sorry for the rant! Had a few this arv and topics like this get under my skin! :ebony:

APS_QLD
08-10-2004, 08:47 PM
On those figures how long does it take to do the job and what labour as in helpers for you?

Brian

craig
08-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Just today I met a turf layer who supplies & lays top quality bluecouch for $5'50 sq meter, as long as the prep works done. If the grass gets 3 to 4 hours sunlight a day your laughing.At that price I'll be subying him & I'll make more than if I layed it myself.He can do it at that price because it comes from his own farm.The prep work I usually do by hand. I suby for a landscaper 2 days a week & spend most of my other time doing returfs,topdressings,retaining walls,zen gardens etc. so I'm no stranger to a shovel & spade. The problem with bobcats is min 3hr booking[$210] & they rarely show up on time. If you do find a decent operater that doesn't need pushing they're always booked for weeks in advance & their large construction clients will always take precedence over us small contracters. Maybe renting a dingo from Kennards etc might be worth looking into? By the way where are all those easy mowing jobs I keep hearing about? My machinery is rusting away while I dig postholes. regards Craig

APS_QLD
09-10-2004, 06:16 AM
Easy mowing jobs :sad: :sad: Never had one of them :sad:

What part of Brisbane you at Craig

Brian

craig
09-10-2004, 07:55 AM
Brian I'm at northgate but most of my regular clients are at albany creek & warner. Today I'm of to Mt Cotton to finish of a landscaping job.25m long raised garden bed,10m retaining wall cut & fill with 250m returfing along with the usual planting irrigation etc. Things havn't gone quite right but it looks great & the clients happy. I usually spend a little longer than industry standard but I find it's better than going back & fixing things down the track. Besides it keeps the clients happy.And then they do you advertising for you,I don't advertise & work 6-7 days a week. Where are you at Brian. regards craig

APS_QLD
09-10-2004, 08:26 AM
The Gap, Not into landscaping, in saying that i do get the odd sleeper wall which is fine by me. Tell me a job that does go right :) Yes must do a good job and make the customer happy, even if it takes a bit longer, happy customers are good advertisers and no stress. Bad customers are worse and just give you major stress. ;dealers;

Have not got into the irrigation as yet, although considering it. I could do 6 or 7 days but am happy with 5 or less :laughing: :).

I've done the 6 - 7 day thingie for close on 17 years, now while the brain has no problem doing 7 days a week the body says WTF are you thinking about. :frightene :frightene

Brian

gareth fearn
21-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Good old zoysia! I've been maintaining about 5000sq up here in darwin, and think it is fantastic it did require quite a bit of water through the dry season but being concerned about water use i did keep it on a slightly paler shade of green than it is now during the wet season, also make sure that your fertilizer has fairly high levels of p and k which seems to really bring out its lovely blue colour, hopefully if santa brings me a camera i will post some photos as it is looking fantastic at this time of year. Merry xmas to all :russ:

Sandgroper
21-12-2007, 10:48 PM
It seems Empire is the best allround turf on the market these days, we will be hearing a lot more about it in the next few years i am sure, when i rip out my Couch, Empire will go in . :)