PDA

View Full Version : how many push mowers..

geejay
25-04-2009, 07:44 AM
i have come to the conclusion with my runs and buz that comes my way in the area i operate that i will need 3-(4) mowers of different designs,a general catching/mulching mower with a powerful motor,like the 6hp kawa,strong solid body wide shoot to take the knocks and get long grass into catcher,masport ,honda etc, then a dedicated mulch mower,masport with briggs and stratton, and finally a light weight slashing side throw no catch,no frills mower.the (4) mower is my current general that is light weight but tough,does the job,easy to push in steeper situations,where the heavy kawa engine could add to much weight thats not really required for the job, this one a 190 briggs,tough but lighter.

tree beard
25-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Can never have tooo many mowers,
Have a commercial Toro (the main work horse)
have a Husqvana Mulching mower (very light top mower)
Have a Victa (light weight and has a catcher and gutless)

Want a Bush ranger 530! (to replace the Victa & the Husqvana)
Want a cylinder mower!

then all will be good in my world! Can cover all ranges of work with confidence. I think? :wave-hi:

geejay
25-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Can never have tooo many mowers,
Have a commercial Toro (the main work horse)
have a Husqvana Mulching mower (very light top mower)
Have a Victa (light weight and has a catcher and gutless)

Want a Bush ranger 530! (to replace the Victa & the Husqvana)
Want a cylinder mower!

then all will be good in my world! Can cover all ranges of work with confidence. I think? :wave-hi:

the 3(4) i want is what i figured thus far for pushies and small gardens to 1/4 acre, next is large estate gardens,rolling acres of lawns,banks of conifers,topiary,tennis courts,etc, start on one next week,topiary,hedging,shaping cliping,not the lawns,need a ride on,baby steps,then bold steps to a ride on,loving it,caching,caching,caching
;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty; :p

tree beard
25-04-2009, 10:19 AM
yes well on the other mower front and off this thread topic,
I have the Toro zero turn which is great but am aware of its short comings and the 50 inch husqvana which will mow competatively with a tractor slasher, but really want a Walker that will be on the list after the bushranger.

I see it as a tool to improve lawn finishes, saves me having to vaccum cuttings from the toro, but it gets me bye and will allow me to reduce my labour cost on at least one day as going it alone would be easier and possibly faster...lots of potential there.

Also keep an eye on tractor and bobcat prices, think there is long term potential there when I have the ready cash.

SouthCoast Walker
25-04-2009, 11:27 AM
i have come to the conclusion with my runs and buz that comes my way in the area i operate that i will need 3-(4) mowers of different designs,a general catching/mulching mower with a powerful motor,like the 6hp kawa,strong solid body wide shoot to take the knocks and get long grass into catcher,masport ,honda etc, then a dedicated mulch mower,masport with briggs and stratton, and finally a light weight slashing side throw no catch,no frills mower.the (4) mower is my current general that is light weight but tough,does the job,easy to push in steeper situations,where the heavy kawa engine could add to much weight thats not really required for the job, this one a 190 briggs,tough but lighter.

Geejay,

I think you really need to look at the Victa 550 & 600 range for a light weight powerful side discharge. They are tough as nails "thats why the councils use them" the 550 leaves a fantastic cut quality and the 600 is perfect for slashing long ugly stuff.

I do lots of over grown holiday homes in my area and I simply could not survive without a 600 in my fleet.

Full fleet is:
Walker 16hp Kohler 42 inch GHS
Walker Kubota Diesel 42inch GHS & 62inch Side discharge
Soon to be another diesel Walker on the way. "bargain could not resist"
Hustler Yanmar diesel 54inch rear discharge
Toro commercial self propelled "not the bunnings cheapo model"
2 x Victa 600's
Victa 550
4 x victa utilitys
heaps of stihl bruschcutters, blowers, saws, hedge trimmers etc.

Stripes
25-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Ive got the 21 inch Honda self propelled, 22 inch Rover self propelled, 17 inch Rover cylinder mower, and soon will be adding a 26 inch Masport cylinder mower. The 36 inch Walker is on the cards once I get my new trailer.

63impala
25-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I take it you do alote of ride on work then.

Geejay,

I think you really need to look at the Victa 550 & 600 range for a light weight powerful side discharge. They are tough as nails "thats why the councils use them" the 550 leaves a fantastic cut quality and the 600 is perfect for slashing long ugly stuff.

I do lots of over grown holiday homes in my area and I simply could not survive without a 600 in my fleet.

Full fleet is:
2 x Victa 600's
Victa 550
4 x victa utilitys

SouthCoast Walker
25-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I take it you do alote of ride on work then.

Thats the advantage of a Walker they are so maneuverable and versatile that they fit in a lot of places where other ride on either wont go or will cost you time. If the gates are big enough I use the Walker.

geejay
25-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Geejay,

Full fleet is:
2 x Victa 600's
Victa 550
4 x victa utilitys

thanks mate,550 is on my short list.

tree beard
25-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Ooooh!

just added a bush ranger to the collection, went in to have a look at one this afternoon and well it followed me home!

Looks good so far, has done one lawn today :) very cool and very light, Id say its one of the lightest mowers i have used. no more wet-grass whining for me! :ebony:

The Local Gardener
25-04-2009, 06:15 PM
lol.... how many mowers does one need... is 2 not enough...!!!!!

tree beard
25-04-2009, 06:26 PM
nope!

If youve only got two, your either a cheap skate, had exceptional advice or you dont appreciate he who dies with the most toys wins...he still dies but you know with lots and lots of toys! :who-knows

The Local Gardener
25-04-2009, 06:36 PM
:who-knows lol tree beard, I liked your theory.. I have been in this caper for a while, it's always two for me. No complaints, I do alright....

geejay
25-04-2009, 07:28 PM
:who-knows lol tree beard, I liked your theory.. I have been in this caper for a while, it's always two for me. No complaints, I do alright....

what two mowers do you push LG and whats the reason for the two?if you don't mind me asking? thats african,demand and polite,lol,
:p ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty;

greasemonkey
27-04-2009, 08:49 PM
I have a bushranger myself and I mowed for the first time in two months this weekend just gone! The grass was two feet tall in parts and it was still a little wet. It caught it all no problem, just had to empty the catcher every run!

geoff
27-04-2009, 10:28 PM
couldnt agree more on the bushranger , i had a ferral lawn that was well over ankle deep , normally i knock them back but i quoted 300 bucks to mow and... remove grass and the client said no problems jims mowing wanted more and he didnt think they could do it....so the bushranger ate it , it was wet grass and as long as i emptied the catcher on each run no problems....took me 2 .5 hrs but came up a treat....should of seen the ute loasded up with bagged grass....there was no way a honda could of done that in the wet...some people cut it without the catcher and rake it up . i reckon with this machine its easier to catch the first time..then make several cuts to get it lower

greasemonkey
28-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Yeah with mine I just cut the really long stuff onthe highest setting then went over it again afterwards. You would never have known it was that long, judging by how it looks at the end.

The Local Gardener
08-05-2009, 10:40 PM
:aus-flag: oh sorry geejay, oops, your banned, so I can't answer. Read this one...

abncraig
09-05-2009, 03:08 AM
all I have is a 19 inch honda push mower and a 28 inch dwyer and felton cylinder with a honda 9.5 hp eng, the D&F is the regular as the the honda's not aloud on lawns in WA they ask what your doing if you pull of a rotary around here. if theres rocks or foreign objects on the lawn I just refuse to mow them to expensive to f$ck your reel for one mow

Stripes
09-05-2009, 10:23 AM
I picked up a new cylinder mower on Wednesday. Its not actually new but has been completely re-built and is like new. The only thing original is the frame/chassis. 20 inch Scott Bonnar that cuts beautiful. Got it for $1400! My next will be around a 26 inch of the WA mower brands if I can track them down over here next Summer. I emailed MEY but didnt get a response.

m287j
10-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I picked up a new cylinder mower on Wednesday. Its not actually new but has been completely re-built and is like new. The only thing original is the frame/chassis. 20 inch Scott Bonnar that cuts beautiful. Got it for $1400! My next will be around a 26 inch of the WA mower brands if I can track them down over here next Summer. I emailed MEY but didnt get a response.

Hey Bryan, was that the one they had in at GYC Castle Hill ?

m287j
10-05-2009, 05:50 PM
For me, i have the Honda HRU196D as my mulch and catcher mower and the Honda utility mower which i use for slashing and general lawns.

mowjoman
11-05-2009, 08:28 AM
I've got as my main two a 216 that I use for mulching and catching and a Big Bob utilty which I rarely use but is handy when I need it, a great little mower.
Also have a 215 (backup for 216) and a 196 but I only use it at home to give it a run. Came with the business but I find the 216 more practicle to carry as I do quite a few hilly blocks.

Stripes
11-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Hey Bryan, was that the one they had in at GYC Castle Hill ?

Thats the one!
He had it on Ebay before that. I went to GYC to get a spark plug and saw it there, then I went to get my ute serviced last week, pulled into a mechanic shop in Victoria Ave and there it was again! It was a sign it was meant to be mine.

Did you check it out?