PDA

View Full Version : Equipment hire in Bundaberg QLD

QLD turfcare
04-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Hi guys, newbie here, wanted to ask if anyone has a lead on hiring an aerator and a vertical mower for a school oval renovation. I have asked local hire places, they don't even know what I am talking about...

I appreciate any help I can get... The school is only a small one, and would not be able to buy this equipment considering the iirregular usage it would get...

TIA,

David

Alex Callaghan
04-10-2004, 10:53 AM
G'day David,

I don't like ya chances mate.

Kennards Hire is the best bet for that kind of equipment and I just cheeked out their web site and theres a whole lot of branches in Brisbane and one in Townsville.

I had to drive for an hour up to Brisy last time I hired an airator.
It's gota be 2 hours from Bundaberg to Brisy?

Might be worth cheeking if you can get the machines on a carryer from brissy? Mabey someone has a back load?

I'd also aproach the local golf course and ask them if they'll hire to you.

mick
04-10-2004, 03:18 PM
Is there a Bunnings anywhere near you? My local Bunnings has one for hire but its no where near you!

QLD turfcare
04-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys, Brisbane is a good 3-4 hours away... :mad:

I will look at Bunings, perhaps if they don't have one, they could get one transferred from a metro store that might have such a thing... I am a parent at the school, and this is a volunteer project, so a days drive to Brissie and back witrh a trailer doesn't sound like fun...

I will see if Bunnings can get one in town for me... at their cost...

I have asked a few people and farmers I know, I have someone at the city council looking into the Parks dept. to see if they have one and if they can hire/loan it to the school... having the deputy mayor involved as a past parent at the school might get some action... :laughing:

Thanks again for the quick response and info...

David

APS_QLD
04-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Hiya Qld Turfcare ..... welcome to the site. I'm with you on the airator but what the hell is a vertical mower :i dunno: Or do you mean a vertimower used i beleive to cut the old grass out which gets rid of thrush etc etc.

Good luck on the searching

Brian

mojo111
04-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Hiya Qld Turfcare Or do you mean a vertimower used i beleive to cut the old grass out which gets rid of thrush etc etc.

Good luck on the searching

Brian

Hi Brian :wave-hi:

Thrush in lawns?? I thought that was a womans thing :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Or do ya mean thatch ?? :laughing: :laughing: LOL

QLD turfcare
04-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Hi Brian :wave-hi:

Thrush in lawns?? I thought that was a womans thing :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Or do ya mean thatch ?? :laughing: :laughing: LOL

Hey, isn't that the woman's equivalent of an anti-brazilian waxing...?
LOL

Yes, the terminollogy might be a bit different, but it is like a disc edger, with a dozen blades, set about 2-3 inches apart, you cut about an inch into the soil, and it basically cuts all the rotten undergrowth and matted roots up, so you can rake that stuff out, and then renovate the lawn from that point on... Also heard it called a grass comb...

The aerator may be enough, but some of this grass is pretty gnarly...

David

mojo111
04-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Hey, isn't that the woman's equivalent of an anti-brazilian waxing...?
LOL

Yes, the terminollogy might be a bit different, but it is like a disc edger, with a dozen blades, set about 2-3 inches apart, you cut about an inch into the soil, and it basically cuts all the rotten undergrowth and matted roots up, so you can rake that stuff out, and then renovate the lawn from that point on... Also heard it called a grass comb...

The aerator may be enough, but some of this grass is pretty gnarly...

David

Thanks for that David and welcome to the site of occasional madness and Hysteria :eek: :eyes: :help:
I've not had to use one yet . but ya never know when the occasion
mite rise.

Ya learn somthing different everyday.

Well I try to anyway LOL :laughing: :laughing:
CHEERS!

APS_QLD
04-10-2004, 08:42 PM
You make ONE spelling mistake :i dunno: geeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz and there on yeah my case :cool: :dean: :wave-hi: :laughing:

I guess i'll stay awake all concerned now, not bloody likely LOL.

Catch yeah next round :wave-hi:

Brian

mojo111
04-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Just playin with ya Brian! ;frosty; LOL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

QLD turfcare
10-10-2004, 07:30 AM
Well, just an update... Craft Rental here in Bundaberg has the aerator and the de-thatching machine... I have hired the aerotor for a half day to do my own lawn, and besides looking like it rained little dog poos, it seems to have helped...

Anyone want to see some pics of the plugs pulled out... a nice cross-section of the lawn's history...

David

mojo111
10-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Yeah David! show us ya pics! :wave-hi:

pbm
10-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Now that you have aerated it top dress it with a sandy soil to fill the holes and it won't need aerating again for ages.

craig
12-10-2004, 09:04 PM
I used to fert with mixture of ck88 & dynamic lifter & then topdress. Comes up a treat but smells like hell. Alright in comercial applications but the girls don't like it.And we all know who's really the boss. Craig ;dealers;

pbm
12-10-2004, 09:22 PM
If it smells like hell it must be good for the lawn....eh eh :laughing:

craig
12-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Problem is that silly women won't let me back in the house smelling of the stuff. Craig

QLD turfcare
15-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Now that you have aerated it top dress it with a sandy soil to fill the holes and it won't need aerating again for ages.

That was the plan... fill the aeration holes with sand, top dress over exposed roots and then fertilise... A friend of mine who is a nutritional agronomist has recommended NitroPhoska Blue... heavy application, and water it in...

It is looking a treat already... will mow it this weekend and see where I am at... The areas to benefit most are where the previous owners of the house used to turn around and park their car/truck... very compacted soil... not now!

David

APS_QLD
15-10-2004, 09:50 PM
I have never heard of "NitroPhoska Blue" is that its brand name or is it known as something else.

Brian

QLD turfcare
16-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Yeah, it is what it is called... Bayer make the stuff, you may not be able to get it from garden centres, but from farm supply stores...

It is a bright blue ball, about 4mm in size, and slow release... my mate Michael, the agronomist, is THE man in Bundaberg for such info... works at CropTech, advising farmers on their fert needs and does water and soil testing. as well as just about everything else... if he doesn't know it, it ain't worth knowing...

Here is what it does for lawns... deep rich green, and strong roots...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ199.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/CopyofHQ1.jpg

apply, and just add water... :laughing: :laughing:

here is my next door neighbours lawn... somthing missing...?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ5.jpg

it works, I just spread it around with a Scotts spreader... every 3 months or so...

Cheers,

David

APS_QLD
16-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Sounds like the same stuff used in pot plants.

Brian

QLD turfcare
16-10-2004, 07:06 PM
I have seen it in Bunnings, in 400gm containers... as a plant food... But I buy a 40kg bag and it is a lot cheaper... LOL

David