PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa Chainsaws info

Tibbs
04-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Hey all,

Hope this is the right spot.

I'm looking at buying a chainsaw to use mainly for firewood when out camping and moving small tree's that have fallen over while 4wd.

I have been told I can get the Shindaiwa 360 Chainsaw for the same price as a Sthil 170 and just wondering are they and good?

Alex Callaghan
04-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the forum Tibbs!!!

Mate, I've met a few people with Shindaiwa saws and they all like them alot. I've never heard anybad words about them.

I've never used a Shiny saw but if their Chainsaw are as good as their other equipment (I'm sure they are!) the Shindaiwa saw would be a good investment.

All my 2 stroke stuff is Shindaiwa except for my saw (Stihl 029) and I wouldn't touch anything else.
When I need a new saw one of these days I will buy the Shiny.

Good luck with the purchase and hope to see you posting more around the traps here!!

Cheers.

Tibbs
04-10-2004, 01:33 PM
:wave-hi: thanks for the quick reply :)

APS_QLD
04-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Tibbs ....... welcome to site. I have a shiny 360 and can say they are fantasitc. Just used it today in fact worked a treat all day and has done so for 12 mths.

Depends on what you are cutting may depend on the chain (teeth spacing) you get, just check the different types out. Contact your local arborist store and get some advise on the chain. I also reccommend having a 2nd chain as stand by and pays to get a sharpener and learn how to correctly charpen your chain.

If you are cutting palms make sure you CLEAN the saw around and behind the chain cover THE SAME day. If not you will get pitting on the casing palm juice is rather corrosive :frightene .

My two cents worth.

Brian

Tibbs
04-10-2004, 10:49 PM
I can get the Shindaiwa 360 for $399 Is this a good price?

As far as I know it doesn't include the case and not sure if it's the 14 or 16 Inch bar.

I know very little about chainsaws and this will be my first one I have owned and used.

Got any pointers that I should keep in mind?

Alex Callaghan
04-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Tibbs,

Read the operater manual carefully.

Sounds like a wank but the info on the use of the saw is good.

Appart from that, always be aware of kick back so hold the saw firmly and always be prepared for kick back or pull in.
I'd suggest getting a "Low Kick Back" chain if it's ya first saw.

Just always be aware when you'r using it. Don't get lazy arfter you've put some decent hours on it either.

I've got a nice scare on me leg from a moving chain. A mate was yelling somthing at me when I was in the middle of cutting a scarfe on a big camphor and I droped the saw to one arm and it hit my leg.
Chains don't cut flesh cleanly either!

Just always respect the fact that you are using a pice of equipment that could take you'r/others life and give what ever job you'r doing with the saw the utmost concerntration and thought.

You could compare it to any kinda recovery doing with ya 4by mate.
Ya never rush a recovery, you always think it through and you always take bystanders into account, always check ya straps winch snatch blocksetc on a regular basis.... ect. It's similar to how you should treat chainsaw opperations if ya get my drift.

All commen sense stuff mate.

mick
04-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Got any pointers that I should keep in mind?

Keep the sharp spinning end away from you! :i dunno: :wave-hi:

I have a Husky 340 or something. Another good chainsaw for occasional use. It was between the Shin and the Husky and the Husky was on sale so thats the way I went!
Just another option is all!

Taken from there site... http://www.husqvarna.com.au
Husky 340
A versatile, all-round saw for light farm and small property owners who demand high quality and durability. Slim and smooth body, superior power/weight ratio and one of the lowest vibration levels on the market. Equipped with features such as the new combined choke/stop button control making it easy to start and stop, Eco-pump and Air Injection

Alex Callaghan
04-10-2004, 11:25 PM
Yeh Micks dead right......The Huskys are bloody good saws too.

When I was doing a bit of lopping a while back thats what we mainly used.
Used to love getting on the big 395XP :russ: Was a real power trip!

APS_QLD
05-10-2004, 06:41 AM
Read operations manual - Safety gear - Don't use a blunt chain- or force the saw to cut let it do the cutting.

Huskies are very good chainsaws as well. The price seems good to me I think mine cost me $435 about a year ago hmmmmmmmmmm now i feel ripped off :cool:

Let us know what you bought and why :)

Brian

Hondy
05-10-2004, 07:24 AM
I've had a shindaiwa 357 top handle for 7 years without any mechanical problems. Being a top handle it's easy to use one handed for high pruning etc. (or if you don't want to put your stubby down)
Also have a Shiny 577 for real trees. Very powerful and reliable equipment. Had a job after the storms earlier this year and had to cut and remove over 11 ton of trees, did all the chainsaw work with the 357.

Tony

Tibbs
05-10-2004, 07:45 AM
Thanks for all the info Guys.

The main reason I will go the Shindaiwa is because of machine to price.

In other words the bar length and horsepower are higher for the price of a lower end sthil or husky.

I was looking at both the above brands until I was told I could get the shindaiwa for Less because the guy ordered in 6 of them.

The shin 360 model is suppose to be all alloy to.

Now If I can get them to throw in a hard case for it, I'll buy it :cool:

Tibbs
05-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Spoke to them this morning and it's going to cost me $20 for the hard case so I'm happy with that.

So for $419 I get the Shiny 360 with a hard case.

The shop is about 1/2 drive down the highway from my place but he lives about 5 min from my place so has agreed to drop it off so he can show me a few pointers.

APS_QLD
05-10-2004, 12:22 PM
There you go was not aware you could get a hard case. Sounds like a good deal. Where abouts are you in this great country?

Brian

Tibbs
05-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Gold Coast for now,

leaving start of next year to head to the Cape, Kakadu and so on.

mick
05-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Gold Coast for now,

leaving start of next year to head to the Cape, Kakadu and so on.

Where abouts on the Coast mate? I'm in Currumbin!

Tibbs
05-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Robina :wave-hi:

mick
05-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Do you do mowing as a business? Been bloody dry aint it! See how we go with that storm tonight if this actually hits! :i dunno:

Tibbs
05-10-2004, 03:10 PM
No I don't,

Thank God ;frosty;

I do have a friend who owns a Jims Mowing sub.

I was just chasing information on the chainsaw I wanted and got given this forum address.

What better place to come and ask the experts ;)

We need rain badly

P.S my lawn is like 2mtr x 2mtr

Alex Callaghan
05-10-2004, 04:09 PM
No I don't,

Thank God ;frosty;

Haaa

Ya don't know what ya missing out on mate..lol!! The perks in this game are great :rolleyes:

What do you do for a crust mate?

Tibbs
05-10-2004, 04:18 PM
IT Nerd during the week and 4wd warrior on the weekend....LOL

mick
05-10-2004, 04:59 PM
IT Nerd during the week and 4wd warrior on the weekend....LOL

You and Alex should get on then! Hes a Lawn mowing Nerd! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :laughing: :laughing: Had to do it! :i dunno:

It wasnt a trick question mate! My cousins into IT up in Brizzy. He works in a place thats kinda like a big hard drive that big Co's like Banks back up there info incase of fire or what ever. He actually set the hole system up. He also fixes my PC when I stuff it up. Very handy!

Let us know how your Chainsaw goes anyway and feel free to join in all the same. (we might need help with computers! Ha).
Theres even a girl that puts her bit in every once in a while and she dont mow lawns either! :ebony: haaa :laughing:

Tibbs
13-10-2004, 09:44 AM
Just a quick update,

Got my shiny and used it for the first time on the weekend.

Worked like a charm ;)

APS_QLD
13-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Now you need to learn how to sharpen it. If going North 4x4ing i would suggest a spare chain and spark plug. Other than that will not let you down.

Brian

Tibbs
14-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Ah ok, Thanks

I have the spare spark plug I just need a chain.

How much should it cost for a spare chain?

APS_QLD
14-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Should be around $20 - $30 unless you get a tungsten tip one which will cost a lot more, of course it will last a lot longer than a standard chain :).

Brian

chickenhawk
02-05-2007, 08:49 AM
I am also looking at buying a shindaiwa. I have afew questions that you guys may be able to help me with. I am from Melbourne & I have not been able to find the 360 chainsaw. Is it superseeded. For the same money as quoted by tibbs $399.00 I can only get the 300s which has a smaller motor.
The other chainsaws I am looking at for the same money are the Stihl ms180 & the husqvarna 142. Can anyone out there give me some advise on which to go for. I will be using it for domestic use only, so nothing heavy duty.

Wggc
03-05-2007, 06:13 PM
used shindiawa's ages ago while workin 4 a tree clearing contractor they're ok but that's it !! not always easy 2 get parts 4 i'd stick to stihl myself whether commercial or domestic @ least parts wont be too much drama to get hold of it the sh** hits the fan so 2 speak :wave-hi:

bigG
04-05-2007, 05:59 PM
im not a big sthil fan generally but they do make the best chainsaws thats for sure

lawn order
04-05-2007, 09:41 PM
buy the yellow hat - the ear muffs - the glasses THEN the saw.
the best safety feature on a saw is the throttle. full noise cuts and does not easily bite in. if you think you sound like a s--- lair with the revs then you are working safer. fast chains cut, near stall kicks!

ian
09-05-2007, 10:07 PM
and always remember they are scarey and dangerouse machines

Wggc
10-05-2007, 05:56 PM
chainsaws are as dangerous as the operator using them !!!!!
i've been using them professionally for 12 years without injury by knowing what will happen when im cutting before i start to use the saw !!!
if you dont know what will happen when you cut , you're leaving yourself in a position where you could be seriously injured or
worse :( using control measures such as ropes & wedges & knowing how to use them also how to scarfe properly will eliminate the danger of injury :) heaps of info on the net via google :russ: type in "chainsaw safety " & you will be 1/2 way there :wave-hi: