PDA

View Full Version : Dead Buffalo

Pain in the Grass
04-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Hi guys...Need help with a turf problem..Late least season I picked up an elderly female client whose front yard and one section of the rear yards are buffalo. Another seperate section in the rear yard is KIK....

The lawns were well maintained as she had a lawn guy in before me.. When I started mowing it the lawns were in pretty good condition.

When I came back to mow it the fourht time there were large sections mainly in the rear section that seemd to have just died off.

It looked like someone had sprayed entire sections with weed killer (roundup or similar) It was dead and straw like....Couldnt understand what had happened.

That time I mowed it it was getting into early winter and she hadnt watered it much in the month since the last mow....

Now I'm trying to work out what to do to fix it....I went back a week ago gave it a quick trim cos it was raggedy...Seemed at that time the lawn was looking a little better in those dead spots and new shoots could be seen on some of the runners that had appeared dead. I fertilised it with Scotts Lawn builder and luckily it rained for a good two days after so hopefully that might help.

The lawn is very thicck and spongy. Even when I first started mowing I had to set the mowing height right up....

You can see the soil through the dead spots which are in places at least a metre in diameter......

What should I do???She says that she willing to pay whatever it takes to get it looking good again but I feel I'm out of my depth here. I could take some digital pics and post them here if it helps with ideas.. :i dunno: :i dunno:

screwdriverphillips
05-10-2004, 03:27 PM
If the lawn is real spongy a vertimow would be a option or even aeration both options fairly costly other way topdress in those areas very lightly with high quaulity lawn soil and would not mow as low if using a rotary a reel mower would sought it out but you guys in the east dont use them
Regards screwdriverphillips
Ezy Mowing
Mandurah WA

mick
05-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Take a few pics! I'm sure someone here would be able to help!