PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Education, Books etc.

GregG
07-10-2004, 11:20 PM
As I am starting out in the industry can any one recommend any books on Lawn care. I may look at a TAFE course but not till next year.
I am mainly aiming just at lawn care and maintenace to start up and as I get more experienced branch out into other fields and after reading Alex's posts I reckon irrigation may be the go as well as returfing those crap lawns especially the couch ones.

APS_QLD
08-10-2004, 06:01 AM
I admit i am no expert and i hate getting asked from owners whats wrong with the lawn and how can i fix it.

Apart from doing a PH test and seeing if its lacking in some way, I am only guessing. I want to be able to at least gain a better grounding in lawn care so i can at least help the owners with some confidence.

Im looking at the moment for any courses which my help. If there are any books i to would be interested.

Brian

robscl
08-10-2004, 08:43 AM
I did certIII in horticulture parks and gardens, this course covers most apsects of the industry including turf, pest and disease , irrigation,design just about all areas you will need to cover in your garden maintenance biz, 3 yrs part time. Well worth the investment in my books

Rob :p

Pres Lawn
08-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Tafe here in Adelaide has a course on turf and miataince with a few differnt modlues, I enjoyed it and learnt a hell of a lot. Well worth the efort.

GregG
12-10-2004, 09:09 PM
Does any one have a bible of lawn care that they refer to ???

craig
12-10-2004, 09:24 PM
I did a 1yr pre-voc course in amenity hort specializing in parks & gardens a long long time ago. Only recently returning to the industry full time the changes have amazed me. Back then everything was couch with abit of greenle... park[can't spell] & a bit of tiff dwarf.But I've found using & abusing my local bowls club greenkeeper & my turf supplier has been the best source of info. Craig

ryancronin
13-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Greg im doing cert 3 in greenkeeping at kurri tafe they a so do cert2 which will all so help you they will tech a lite bit of everything go and see them

GregG
13-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Greg im doing cert 3 in greenkeeping at kurri tafe they a so do cert2 which will all so help you they will tech a lite bit of everything go and see them

how many hours is the course ie the cert 2 one ?? I guess there would be no more this year ??

Andy B
05-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Just picked up an old thread here.

I have been given a quirky little book called "Lawnscapes Mowing Patterns To Make Your Yard A Work Of Art" by David Parfitt.

It's an interested little read, lots of pictures and a few practical applications. And it does have at least 16 different patterns to try ranging from a basic checker board right through to a full on lady standing in a shell covering her private bits. It also has instructions on how to do the alphabet and numbers.

If nothing else it's inspired me to look for more and to carve our street number about 10 foot high from a big conifer in the yard. :D

Bluey
06-01-2011, 06:23 AM
Would be a good read but do we have the time to do these little nice bits at the moment. But I would like to learn more.

Fred's mowing
06-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Just picked up an old thread here.

I have been given a quirky little book called "Lawnscapes Mowing Patterns To Make Your Yard A Work Of Art" by David Parfitt.

It's an interested little read, lots of pictures and a few practical applications. And it does have at least 16 different patterns to try ranging from a basic checker board right through to a full on lady standing in a shell covering her private bits. It also has instructions on how to do the alphabet and numbers.

If nothing else it's inspired me to look for more and to carve our street number about 10 foot high from a big conifer in the yard. :D

Andy, I recall somewhere, one guy used to after frosts draw all sorts of patterns on the lawns then photograph them from up high.
Dont recall if he did it with a mower, broom or whatever.
When the frost dissappeared, so did the pattern, the photo,s sure looked neat!
Cheers Dean.