PDA

View Full Version : Bought a New Block of dirt today.

Tonyr
10-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Bought a new block today at Dundowran, 10 kms approx north of Hervey Bay, I do most of my work here, it's all 1/2 acre plus properties, this is where a prop with a home is worth 500K plus, beack meats hills, very upmarket area, all bloody rich retirees!

Anyway couldn't buy a home in the bay under 300K for 800 square metres with basic 3 bedder, so thought stuff it, bite the bullet, found a good elevated block, developer just listed it so got it at a good price, under 150k, next door with no view is 185k, these are 1/2 acre blocks...water and power on prop.

Cheapest blocks left, bonus I got a LITTLE Ocean view, in years this will add value. Will be worth 30k more by christmas easy.

Our shed will be 3 bay, 1 roller door, 2 sliders, plus big side awning for workshop etc, plus 3m front varander covered and concreted.
Pool off the side of 3m varander, above ground with deck....One Day! LOL!

Won't be living in style but once we get some equity back we can borrow for the house, the view will be fantastic from it, raised...
Photos don't do it justice, it is much better.

Anyway, enough bs, here is 2 pics i took just before.

Tonyr
10-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Sorry for the above spelling mistakes, time I realised and tried to fix my 8 min limit had expired...oooops :o

Here are the pics that somehow did not show...

pbm
10-10-2004, 08:22 PM
Looks very nice Tony.

great_outdoors
12-10-2004, 12:54 PM
well done. See you can make money in this business

Tonyr
12-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys!

Only signed up, not paid for....

I'm a bit shocked, the block plus shed, plus power, water, sewerage, fees etc, brings me to 205,000.

lot of money for a shed on a vacant block!

Wife has a good job with company car, without that this ain't possible, my biz is only expected to net 35k this coming season, realistically with this drought and our seemingly short seasons, lucky to profit 25k I reckon.

Gunna be a long time before I can even afford a privacy fence, house, drive way, sir walter....better than renting I guess, just having second thoughts...

Be better once everything gets going, been a lot of running around etc....nothing is easy!

Ebony
12-10-2004, 01:21 PM
If jealousy is a curse... I am definitely cursed :)

Very nice Tony

Tonyr
12-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks Ebony!

Just went out to check measurements etc, I wish I took the pics today, it is a nice clear day today, been hazy and windy lately, well the water really stands out, you can see the white breakers on the beach even! Or is it southern grrrls I saw LOL! :i dunno: :laughing:

Those pics don't do the block justice, the view is actually closer than it looks, btw, i was standing where the shed will go when i took the pics, i'm not buying the one accross the road that is pictured...mine is much higher.

Anyway, waiting for bank to call to see how much the repayments will be....I'm nervous about interest rates going up so don't want to max out now and have to sell it later...got to be carefull!

Fixed costs more but is more secure, damned if ya do, damned if ya don't!
:i dunno:

GregG
12-10-2004, 08:46 PM
Looks like nice block, why don.t ya put an observation deck on top of the shed for better view of the water?? it would be a great place for a BBQ.

Land is cheap up there $150K with ocean views on 1/2 is cheap down here it would probably be $500K at least.

I guess ya mean that you will live in the shed. THat would be a good idea as you know what the environment is like ie. wind's etc. so that when ya design ya house ya can do it right.

dvmcmrhp52
13-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Congrats Tony,
A piece of ground is good for the soul..................
I used to own 32 1/2 acres up in New York state here in the U.S.,
It was my piece of heaven...............then it had to be sold... :mad:
But anyway, Enjoy it mate!

Tonyr
13-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks Dave,

I actually need at least an acre, but that size blocks are long gone, time Ia map out the big shed, house, etc and then driveway and pool, need more land!

Prob is, turning my 4 x 4 with trailer around without having to pave too much extra land, the way it stands now is I drive into the rectangle block to the rear and do a 3 point turn and reverse rig beside shed, pain in the ass, but I guess with pratice...

I was going to have a drive way right around the fence line, but can't put paths on the new enviro sewerage etc, always something!

Just having pre debt jitters I guess, bank is taking it's time, says ok, but no 100% go ahead yet, nothing is fast these days, no one can make a decision, too many hands, time lost, and my deposit needs to be in today to hold it, oh well, just have to ride it out....hate drawn out things!

I know what ya mean about acreage mate, had a farm once, grew strawberries, 80.000 of the bloody things, but loved it, hate being in town!

Be 10 mins outa town amoungst all the rich southern retirees soon LOL!

mick
13-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Wow mate! Looks like a great spot and look at all them potential customers! :wave-hi:

Good luck with the loan!

Tonyr
24-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Just an update:

Loan apprroved and sorted, commonwealth bank this time, never been with em before.

even gave me a bit extra to completly max my paymemts out lol!

Shed starts in 2 weeks, so in 6 weeks we expect to be outa here and out at yuppieville!

Not sure whether to put up a 6ft paling privacy fence or go for coloured iron, colourorb or what ever it's called and to make it look better put a run of stained paling an inch or 2 above, seen a display one here like that and looks great, sure would be easier to build!

Bloody expensive, we were quoted $8500 just for a paling fence! (crappy pine too) Iron has to be cheaper surely, least labour will be reduced if I don't build it myself, i'll get wife to see how cheap she can get stuff for tomorrow, be an interesting comparison!

As this is all brand new estate, telecom stuff would be all latest stuff, so anyone know what is best, thinking of cable/ISDN from telstra so everything runs off one cable, might be cheaper than having telstra phone line with dial up isp...

Any of yas on telstra cable or ISDN??

mick
24-10-2004, 11:01 AM
That would be "Colourbond" I think Tony! I reckon they make great fences and there steel and never need painting. If matched with nice, stained timber posts etc the colorless zinc looks the best IMO. Have seen a few around and I love 'em!

Broadband! hmmmm If you can get Telstra BB then you should be able to get other companies as well, like Optus. I would research them thoroughly and just get the one that suits your needs best for the right price. I think some co's have it for as little as $25-$30 but only small downloads like 100-200Mb and then you pay $?/Mb after that. Optus used to have a plan that if you went over your Download limit, instead of charging you more/Mb over, it just slowed the speed down to dailup speed. My cousin has this and loves it! Look at the different speeds as well. The faster the more expensive so I would go somewhere in the middle but even the slowest BB would be supersonic compared to my dailup!

I would look at how much you downloaded over the last couple of months and use that as a comparison then go looking for the best price.

We just got a leaflet in the school newsletter about if we want BB out here in the valley. I've been wanting it for ages but because I live over a certain number of K's away from the exchange we cant get it, at the moment. Hopefully we will get it soon!

Tonyr
24-10-2004, 11:21 AM
LOL, yeah, you arte right! That many thgings going on easy to get confused, seen soime really nice iron clad homes around here, jack em up, make em tasteful, huge varandas, open plan etc look great, we are thinking going that way, would suit the location well, so colourbond fence would match, if done right.

not putting bloody chain wire around, grrrrr, hate trimming that stuff, except with roundup!

I was at the telstra site last night, lots of options are far too dear, $50 a month is all the internet is worth to me incl. charges. I'm on a 500mb dial up now with austarnet, and I nudge my limit most months, and I don't do much more than go here and lawnsite!

Yeah, was hoping to get away from dial up, a bloody ri off, drops off too much, and is wrong we have to pay every time we connect, bloody criminal, imo. so a cable option that could be set up when they are running the phone cable is what i'm thinking, not as fast as satelite etc, but very stable, so they say lol.

hot this weekend or wot!

mick
24-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Hot............ Bloody yep! Probably get another strom for the Indy 300. Happens every year! haaaa Makes it interesting though!

Satalite is very exy mate. You still have to have a phone line anyway so I wouldnt do it in a fit! If I needed internet for a home based business it would be worth it but for just surfing and research, no way!

I would check out Optus mate! If/when I can get BB they will be the first I check out. I have dail up with them now and never loose connection. Never had a problem with it. I was with another dail up that I think was based on Telstra and it was shocking. Now I have my home phone with optus as well and get 100 free local calls a month which basically mean I connect to the internet 100 time/mth for free!

Like I said before, Optus BB is good because they slow the speed down if you go over your limit as opposed to the others that charge you for extra Mb. Worst case is that it slows down (called speed limiting) to dail up speed but because its cable, more stabe than dail up.
I dont know how much the plans are but $50 sounds about right from memory. This is the way I would go!

http://www.optus.com.au/Vign/ViewMgmt/display/0,2627,1038_35175-3_36739--View_354,00.html

On the right theres a blue window thing with, Rate card etc. Check it out.
Looks like if you get you home phone trough Optus as well you get bigger discounts. This is what I have now except with Dail up!

I sound like an Optus rep! haaaa :rolleyes: I'm not just trying to help!

Tonyr
24-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks Mick, I'll check em out.

I was with Optus until 2 or 3 years ago, back then they were nothing flash as a dial up, then switched to austarnet when they bought in satelite, which died fast, then just stayed with their dial up with is pretty good, but the drop outs are getting rediculous!

yeah, not interested in satelite, just want a good phone line and good cost effective cable for internet, telstra has 2 options, so i'll compare to optus, parent in laws are optus, they love em, lots of diuscounts, plans etc....unlike telstra who are as hungry as.

Thanks for the link mate, enjoy ya arvo!

Your work picking up yet?

mick
24-10-2004, 05:07 PM
No worries mate! I personally dont like Telstra and the way they treat people and the way they set the prices for other Co's using there line etc. Not to mention what will happen when it is fully sold off! Great move for the vast majority that idea! :i dunno:

I also love the look of the Colorbond houses. Very popular down here also and if/when we build it will be one of those types.

Work, I've picked up 2 acreages in the last 2 weeks which is good. I'll ring around my old ones tomorrow and see how there going. That rain we had was good but we really need some follow up but might get it in the way of storms in the next couple of days. Sure feels stormy at the moment. See what happens. :Rain:

In a few months, after I get last years tax done I will look more into getting a loan for a ZTR. I've got the OK from the missus but will have to see where I end up after paying the tax bill!
Think its down to the Scag TT, or the Hustler Super Z. Not really sure. Scags are exy but I like them. Other thing is I've heard some not too good things about the dealler here. Hustlers are just over the hill and about $6000 cheaper. The deallers a bit of a knob but I'd trust him more than the Scag dealler. Just have to see what happens anyway! Have you seen the pics on LS of the Diesel Hustler Super Z. Awsome! Exy though buy the looks!

How is work going for you now? I know you lost the Bunnings acount but have you picked up any regulars?

Tonyr
24-10-2004, 05:42 PM
I looked through the telstra site, got crankey, too confusing! Bloody cheap looking web site for such a big mob too!

Went to Optus, a lot better to understand, I'll talk to a rep further and see what packages they can put together if any.
Broadband is dearer than I thought it would be, and surprising how limited the packages are for the dollar, like a 400 mb package is more with broadband than a 500 mb dial up that i currently have, yet though faster at downloading, you still only get 400mb worth regardless of speed, just means you can burn up your package faster so they can upgrade you....need to look more, with a package deal it may work out cheaper in the long run, optus has some good deals.

work, been busy, not flat but good, this week is a little quiet, bit here bit there, but it will fill up more, have got a handful of new clients this last fortnight, all big stuff, the way things are shaping up so far I don't think losing bunnings will effect me much....i can't say more hear but i'll let ya know if what is in the pipe works out lol.

referrals are good, my yellow pages ad is really working, lots of southerners calling me for vacant block maintenance, last season yp didn't work, this season i'm not even in the newspaper and i'm getting more calls!

All looks like it will be good, if we get warm sunny days and regular rain, we are gunna be flat, but this cloudy crap doesn't spur things along though!

S'OK mate, I'm not gunna ask why Toro wasn't on ya contender list LOL.

I know nothing about scag, but russ loves his, talk to him.
Hustler super z, certainly no slouch either....very much a no frills machine, but they are a mower afterall lol. nicely built, but I'm only 178cms tall and I found the opperating position a little cramped, they were designing new models a bit longer to overcome this, ask Chris Adams , aussie sales manager in brissy, let me know if ya want his number. I also found them to 'rock' a bit, very sensitive steering on a short frame, but they cut fantastic!

Hustler make great machines, i certainly was impressed when i demoed one.

go jump on a Kubota ZD28Pro, with 60'' deck and give us a report just for the heck of it Mick....I'd love to have one, pics look great of them!

But leave the Toro Z500 series alone mate, these are in a very different league to entry level yella and oranatang types, something you can step into later when ya want to experience real power, turf and scrub domination, mechanical *** appeal etc, haaaa haaaa haaa!

mick
24-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Optus BB is better than the others! Lets say you have a 400mb plan, you use that up towards the end of the month but then instead of paying for the extra Mb downloads, the speed just slows down and dosnt cost you anything extra. I really like that idea!

Bit of thunder happening out there at the moment. Hope it brings some rain!

Not really sure which ZTR to go really. I know Russ like his Scags but he also like the Everride Warrior. I've seen one and dont really like the looks of them. They have a narrow stance and what looks like a high sitting position. I've also heard of a few problems with them from belts comming off to seized deck lift. There are quite a few probs actually with them!
The Hustler looks ok because its so basic. The short wheelbase on them is probably a good thing for medium sized acreage with trees etc. They also have a couple of problems like burning turf but wheather this is because of the fussy grass types over in the US I dont know.
Toro, I wouldnt get one because there aint enough room in here for 2 Toro owners! hehe I havent disregaurded them completly but you yourself admit that they aint much chop on slopes, plus the dealler dont have the best reputation around and there the furthest away from me.
The only reason I wouldnt get a Scag is because of the dealler here. Russ told me some not to flattering stuff about him.

Gotta go, the storms here and maybe some hail in it! Later

mick
24-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Well that was a fizzer! Got about a dozen drops. They sounded like hail on the tin patio cover but its gone now damit. Looks like another little cell coming though, see what happens! :Rain:

Where was I anyway?

The only reason I wouldnt get a Scag is because of the dealler here. Russ told me some not to flattering stuff about him like doing wheelies etc and Russ even suspects the dealler took one of his home to do his yard or something! Apart from that I really like the Scag. They are pretty exy though at about $23k.

The Kubotas out at $28k!

Its early days yet anyway and I dont want to get too excited incase nothing happens. Been through all this before anyway but its looking brighter for me now with the missus on my side (she wants something for herself though but I wont get into that here (. )( .) hehe)
I'll also need a bigger trailer. I need one anyway cos mines rusting out so thats covered but another 3k all the same to think about. Just realized, what sort of trailer. Ohhhh Man! :frightene

Tonyr
24-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Toro, I wouldnt get one because there aint enough room in here for 2 Toro owners! hehe I havent disregaurded them completly but you yourself admit that they aint much chop on slopes, plus the dealler dont have the best reputation around and there the furthest away from me.

=====

haaa haaa haaa

Mate, we can all fit lol!

I better clarify....midmount Z's because of design/weight distribution are not great imo on slopes desending, throws the weight onto non traction tyres....accross slopes, your property is nothing harder than a block i do here monthly, going down would be a disaster for any Z, accross is bad enough in this section. I can prove it if ya ever here.

Why Z's are better at crossing slopes than other styles is low centre of gravity and width, nothing else.

While a super Z is 'maybe' shorter wheelbased, it is no more able to trim around trees etc than the Toro, the toro is not an oversized thing, they are all as swift as the other, based on similar mechanics.
I was referring to leg room on my hustler comment....toro just seems more open.

Scag, dane, toro, etc etc will all be as good as each other on slopes and tight trimming, as hustler is more claimed to be a better 'sloper' be interesting to see...they are very low centre of gravity, toro is higher i would think.

They are all pretty good mate, i commented about slopes and toro not to turn you away from toro but to be honest with you, these things only have 2 traction tyres, your JD has 4, keep that in mind, you will always have better traction. the width of a Z is the benefit.

I had a **** toro dealer who almost finished me once when i had some warrantee issues with my last mower, toro set me up with another, never a problem since, so a good dealer is very important, just in case!

don't forget about kubotas mate, they make a few different Z's nowadays, and stay away from ferrari, very boofy to drive.
everide, too young, many proven models out now....see the thread on lawnsite about one the other day?
hmmmmmm, no thanks.

mick
24-10-2004, 11:17 PM
I see your still up mate! No luck in the bedroom I guess. Oh, I'm still up! Ok forget it! :rolleyes:

I understand the principle of the drive tyres etc. My only issue with any of them really is that I've had some lawns that I have to go down some pretty slippery tracks to get to the lawn/paddock. The other problem is that you might be able to do slopes side to side but eventually you have to go down. One thing on my side is that I'll keep my JD 4x4 so I should have those covered but I'd like to sell it after this season before it looses to much more value.

I like the Kubotas and the dealler here is very good, its just that I'd want the ZD28 and you know how dear they are at around $28k. Thats way out of the ball park for me.

I'm looking at 60/61"deck and a 28efi. Hustler have one now for $20k list price which I think is about the cheapest in that class.
Scag TT has a 29hp dfi at $23klist price. I like the shaft drive to the deck, 1 fuel tank, very heavy duty everything. Just the dealler is the problem.

I saw the thread on LS about the Warrior. That guy probably went too hard on the thing but its supposed to be commercial and doing some slashing type work is part an parcell of what we do here aint it! I wouldnt go near one till they sort out ALL the problems.

Like I/we've said before, there aint a perfect mower but finding one out of the pack which is right for me is going to be an interesting exercise. Should be fun!

I hear you about them all being pretty good. It really comes down to price, dealler support and history in the field. This is one of the reasons I like the Hustler, good dealler, good price and theyve been making them for ages as far as I know! But, I really like the Scag for being Tank like! hehe. 29hp dont sound bad to me either! haaa

I do have a while till I look seriously into them though. I think this is the second or third time I've brought all this up. Can you tell how much I want to get one or what! :wave-hi: heeee

Tonyr
25-10-2004, 07:44 AM
you're on the right track mate, you know what you need.

as ya know last year I went through the same chore, how do you pick the best outa the best....if toro did not have this new deck i think i would of bought a super z.

my favourite was the ferris is3000, but not enough dealers frightened me away, great machine!

28k for a mower is crap, but the kubota sure would be nice!

this is where the americans have it won, mowers are sooooo cheap and they get more per hour to mow!

mick
25-10-2004, 10:09 AM
I like the idea of the suspension of the Ferris but like up there, there are no deallers down here.

If I had $28k I would love the Kubota, great engines and well engineered. They could be a bit heavy though like all the diesel mowers out there. Did you see the Diesel Hustler. Looks very good as well.

Just love hearing the Americans complaining about mower prices. They have no idea how good they have it. Like to see how many of them could make it over here!

Tonyr
25-10-2004, 10:19 AM
the guy who brings in iseki down south is apparently the importer for ferris, the mob in brissy who import walkers now sell ferris, but they have been less than great in the past with me.

if there were a good dealer network around the ferris would be a great contender, kinda brings ya back to scag, dane, hustler, a lot of dosh, you gotta know you bought the best for you, and this decision as ya know is painfull! I know what ya going through mate!

Tonyr
25-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Mick, mate I just went to LS and saw the pics of the diesel hustler, WOW! Bloody hell, thing is a monster! Sure won't run outa power!

looks....nah, doesn't turn me on, the upper shroud looks ugly, but would protect and allow plenty of air cooling....practical, not pretty.

love to take one for a spin though!

same story hey, too bloody expensive in our currency!

though the kubota only has a 28hp diesel, it sure looks nicer, built for eye appeal.

I scanned the specs and didn't read the weight, it is 9'' longer than my toro which is a few inches longer than a petrol super z, but diesels are heavier as ta said and on our fine couch and sand....hmmmmm, extra weight 'may' be a problem on the emaller jobs where ya turning more...

Parks etc, go diesel, to hell with weight! lol.

but ressies....think ligher is better, but would love to test the theory, maybe it makes buggerall difference and we should get diesels :i dunno:

If only clients knew what there is to large lawns plus mowing, bloody expenses! Yet cause ''it's only cuttin' grass'' they want it done ultra cheap....grrrrrrrrr!

We would be rich in USA, they would go broke here though....wish i could pay half price for everything, and get the money they do per season....

now instead of hiding from the heat i better go change blades and haul my butt out to work, only got one on today, 1.5 acres mow only, $110, load to load 1 hour!

tomorrow nuthin' 'yet', rest of week full.

week after, vacant blocks everywhere!
plus my reggies kick in on rotation....long winter made me lazy!

mick
25-10-2004, 04:47 PM
That Hustlers a machine aint it! If I could afford something like that or even the Kubota I would use it anyway, even on the soft couch crap! Just for the hell of it! hehe Did you see how far the deck lifts? 7" so that would be a plus on slashing type stuff!
I dont know, I like the look of it. Better than some of the other diesels out there. Just about all of them have that cover over the engine. Dont matter anyway, be over $30k. The Scag Sabertooth is $34k from memory so it would be about the same. Bit of an over kill for our sort of ressie stuff to pay that much. Council parks etc would be sweet!

I was talking to the Hustler dealler here, he used to be the service agent for Walker. Anyway, he told me that Walker made 100% profit on every mower they sold! No wonder there so over priced I reckon!

Rang around today to see how my old customers are going. Picked up a few and even have a fert job this week which will be a change. Its the first in so long I cant even remember. Have only 1 ride on job on Friday at this stage. We still need more rain to put these guys back on a rotation. Still very hit and miss!
Went over the hill and bought some fert, its Green Power, Multi Green 20-10-7, Controlled Release. Was told it goes pretty good. Not just make leaf but better over all. See how it goes anyway!

I'm not going to right off the Toro yet either. Considering the price decrease on yours it could end up being a good deal if you know what I mean. Alex told me Dane have made some not too good changes to there Chariots so I'll take his advise and pass on the Dane.

I think its in this order. hehe.... Scag TT, Hustler SuperZ, and Toro. I might even look at the Wildcat come to think of it! haaa
Any of these I'm sure would hold up to the stuff I do. Except for the Wildcat, the rest have bigger than 10cc pumps so I reckon would hold up better.