PDA

View Full Version : Replacing bearings on Hustler Mini Z

rooread
06-05-2009, 07:02 PM
The spindle bearings on one side of my MiniZ seized the other day and replacing was a piece of cake after sourcing the right bearings. (from a bearing place, not my useless local mower shop)
BUT,
When one the pulleys had a bearing seize replacing it was a real nightmare. I thought it would be a simple process but the pulley was a 2 piece one, welded together with the bloody bearing sandwiched in the middle. I was offended by the fact I would have to buy a whole new pulley just to replace a 10 dollar bearing so I drilled the welds out, replaced the bearing and sandwiched it back together with 3 hi tensile bolts which fitted perfectly in the holes left from drilling the welds out. It's still perfectly balanced, stronger than before and now bearing replacement is a cinch. I'll be doing this to all the pulleys as they fail.
Anyway, I just thought I'd share.
Cheers.

mowjoman
06-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Nice. Good tip. There's always a way around anything most times ay.

greasemonkey
08-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Nice work. Those pulleys can be fairly pricey too. The main thing is to make sure the pulley still runs true...otherwise it can throw off the belt. If it all works...well done! I would offer to do this in the shop but when people have to pay for the bearing and my labour it would be pretty close to a new pulley in price anyway.

rooread
04-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Jeez we get ripped off over here for belts and blades... I don't suppose anyone's found a US website that'll ship the belts over cheap??? They're half the price over there.....

administrator
05-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Theres a belt place in Dandenong somewhere that sells belts half price

rooread
05-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Can anyone provide any more info on this place in Dandenong??

Hustler
05-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Try your hustler dealer in melbourne they are half the price of your mower shop i purchased a belt for my hustler from the mower shop where i brought it $ 147.00 then i rang hustler dealer its was 65.00 Plus gst so where do i buy my parts now strait from supplier stuff the mower shops pm me if you want any more info roo
Regards nev

danz
10-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Hustler belts i dont know much about, for cox belts i just go to my local hardware joint and get belts for 20 bucks as there the same belt usually used by certain pumps and other farm machinery so im told, maybe try a pump or farm ag joint? nice work by drilling the welds and saving money good idea