PDA

View Full Version : Multi task Brushcutters

GregG
11-10-2004, 09:23 PM
I am looking at getting a 2nd Brushcutter but also would like to have an edger for a better finish and like the idea of adding a pruner attachment, plus others. It seems a multi tasker where you click attachments on seems like an economical way to go about things. Also a stick trimmer edger unit would be easier to carry than say an atom edgher which looks a bit cumbersome to have to stow away. I have a good 21cc Echo Brushcutter as a backup if the muti tasker power head broke down.
I was thinking of the Stihl KM100 or it may also be known as the KM110 it has the 4mix technology, its 31.4cc and 1.3bhp so it would be a heavier duty unit to compliment me 21cc echo.
I was also thinking of the echo multi tasker but can't find much info on it. Although I know there is a 26cc unit in OZ.

Any assistance appreciated.

Alex Callaghan
11-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Shindaiwa M230 is good.

I went to a contractors BBQ last night and there was a talk on 4 stroke/mix engines by a small motor engineer.

He bagged the $hit out of them.

About 20 contractors were there that have or do run 4 Mix equipment of different breeds and no happy campers.

Basicaly these 4 banger/ Mix engines where developed to run better with bigger more efective catalytic converters.
Just an engine thats built to run well with an emisions system that is enviromeantaly friendly.

Just thought i'd pass that info on Greg.

From my 6 years in this biz using 2 strokes I can't fault them and from what I've heard from other vetrins of the game, I wouldn't touch a four banger mixer in a small engine config with a barge pole.

joff
12-10-2004, 08:18 AM
Hi Alex

Where was this Contractors get togeather?

Is there going to be any more in our area?

Joff

Alex Callaghan
12-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Hi Alex

Where was this Contractors get togeather?

Is there going to be any more in our area?

Joff

It was at Mullumbimby Joff.

Some of the guys at "Farm Care" in Mullum orginised it.

It's the third one I've been too and they've all been great.
Snags, T-bones, Beer and some intresting talks from Green Keepers, Engineers, Insurance brokers, Contractors etc They have equipment to demo etc.
Good to have a chat with other contractors too.
There was a good turn up the other night. Heaps more contractors than the other times I've been.
The place was packed.

I'll let you know when the next one is on and where it'll be held.

joff
12-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Thanks Alex

Very interested in a local get togeather.

Joff

GregG
12-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Hey Alex
What attachments do you have and how good. I am especially interested in the edger attachment.

Does it have enough power?? I was looking for something substantially bigger than the echo 21 or 22cc ?? that I already have for any big clearing jobs, especially if I am concentrating on acreages I imagine that I could encounter some real jungles.

I see that Shindaiwa has an M2500 model with C4 technology, I guess that this is the same as the Stihl 4mix. But it only has the same horsepower as the M2300, the 2500 @ 8000rpm and the 2300 @ 7500rpm.

Alex Callaghan
12-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Greg..........I have pole prunner, Long reach hedger and Edger attachments.

Has good power! Somtimes a little under powered for way neglected edges but they are the type of thing you'd want an Atom on anyway.
Rule of thumb is stick edges are for poorly maintained to maintianed edges. Anything more (like a good years worth of growth) would easily warrent an Atom.

RE: 4 Stroke Mixers..............I wasn't just refering top the Stihil 4 mix............I was talking about all 4 stroke - oil Mixers.

Shindiawa is next to none IMO.

Sorry mate...........Can't finda pic of the edger attachment.
I'll get a pic of it tomoza.

Tonyr
12-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Glad yas are talking about 4 strokes and 4 mixers.

I have a Honda 1.5hp trimmer, does anyone know if the same hp "4 mix" engine outperforms a standard 4 stroke of the same hp?

Have yas seen the new Honda models of blowers and hedgers?
Crikey! Bloody bulky cumbersom looking things! I love Honda, but we need light compact powerful tools..think Honda forgot we are of limited strength, LOL.

mick
13-10-2004, 04:42 PM
I see that Shindaiwa has an M2500 model with C4 technology, I guess that this is the same as the Stihl 4mix. But it only has the same horsepower as the M2300, the 2500 @ 8000rpm and the 2300 @ 7500rpm.

Greg, I had one of these and it was the second worst equipment purchase I've ever made. Under powered for anything more than your standard yard and heavy.

Dont do it!

Stick with tried and tested 2 stroke!
I beleive the attachments for the utility heads are (to me) very expencive IMO! You would come very close to spending the same if you bought individual machines. Something like $400 for the pruning(chainsaw) saw attachment. I do believe however the edger attacment was only $120 or so!

Check out the pros and cons of going the utility way!

Pain in the Grass
13-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Stihl hedging attachment to go on combi systems and their whippers retails at over $550.00...Pretty steep IMO