PDA

View Full Version : blade changing on a ZTR

GregG
12-10-2004, 09:45 PM
I am about to try a set of scag mulching blades on the scag ( they also had great dane written on them so the 52in must be compatible).

I was wondering how people do them, with a socket or a drill or an rattle gun.??

The local mower bloke reckons a rattle gun is best. I have just bought a rattle gun designed for tire changing that runs of ya 12 volt car battery for $65 so I am going to give it a go.

Alex Callaghan
12-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Sockets and sweat. :)

A rattle gun and compressor is on the list with the other 100 things. Lol

GregG
13-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Sockets and sweat. :)

A rattle gun and compressor is on the list with the other 100 things. Lol

You should try and get one of these 12 volt rattle guns it takes the wheel nuts off easy. Thats what I originally got it for so that I can quickly change over to my muddies when I go bush. At $65 its a steal I got it from ARB Tamworth at this years Agquip.

If you do get one read the instructions first as you have to break the clutch in, its a 2 minute job.

dvmcmrhp52
13-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Not sure about a scag but an exmark needs at least a 14.4 volt to get enough torque for the blade bolts. There is only one dewalt cordless 14.4 volt that will get up enough torque..............retails here in the states for around $230.00.

Tonyr
13-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Yeah Dave, except for an amber flashing safety light, a 14.4 v cordless rattler is gunna be in my possesion this season, if it ever rains....

There are cheap rattle guns that run off 12v from auto shops, repco etc, when I asked about those types the salesmen said they would be too light, and you still need to be close to your battery, whereas the 14.4v jobbies are totally independant.

Sure would beat bloody sockets!

Spose you need to still use the torque wrench so ya know you are at the correct torque...or can you set that on these cordless inventions?

GregG
13-10-2004, 09:27 PM
There are cheap rattle guns that run off 12v from auto shops, repco etc, when I asked about those types the salesmen said they would be too light, and you still need to be close to your battery, whereas the 14.4v jobbies are totally independant.

Do blades need to be tighter than wheel nuts ??? My Scag manual say 75ft/lb tightness. What should wheel nuts be??
My 12volt has no problems with wheel nuts even with the extension. On the times ya need it just get ya car/4WD close by and use its battery
Don't forget that you have a battery on ya ZTR, although ya would not want to use it too long or you will flatten ya battery.

Tonyr
13-10-2004, 09:58 PM
dunno about car settings, my manual say min of 90lb plus, so I guess ya 12 volter is a goer mate, for the price I might get one.

I commented on the one repco had because it looked great but they wouldn't think it would handle the work, but they are for removing car wheels afterall, duh, LOL.

The 14.4 volt jobbies would be best, but you pay big time for this...

After a blade change late this arvo and having the socket slip off the nut and bashing up my thumb nail, I'm definetly gunna buy something asap, bloody thumb is swollen,nail is black and purple and throbbing! I hate pain, actually think I'm allergic to it!

A bit of rain could help cure this though :Rain: sh.it it's dry!

GregG
13-10-2004, 10:54 PM
After a blade change late this arvo and having the socket slip off the nut and bashing up my thumb nail, I'm definetly gunna buy something asap, bloody thumb is swollen,nail is black and purple and throbbing! I hate pain, actually think I'm allergic to it!

A bit of rain could help cure this though :Rain: sh.it it's dry!

I heard that an amber coloured fluid is sure to ease the pain and make the ensuing story telling more colourful !!!

Tonyr
14-10-2004, 07:10 AM
Mate, I think you are right LOL. I drank a heap of that amber fluid, bucket of pain killers and survived the night, thumb intact :)

A bloke is getting whimpy in his old age, when i was young doing my carpentry apprenticeship when ya clout ya finger we used to head up a nail and push it through the purple part of the nail to relieve the blood pressure under it...never had a prob, last night missus tried with a red hot needle, bloody hell it hurt, and didn't work, needle hole too small and clotted!

She said she could get something like a nail and try again...i said i'll put up with the throbbing thanks, pain threshold must be too low nowadays!

I must be an old wuss nowadays, I'll admit it :sad:

I should just get wife to do blade changed from now on, she is tougher...surely??!!!! :p

GregG
20-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Yesterday I tried to put my new mulching blades on, I am going to try them without the full kit and then may try the kit as a comparison and see how long it takes to change from mulch to throw.
Anyway I attempted to change the blades and could not get them off with my 12volt rattle gun that runs off car battery. Its got 340nm of torque which is equivelant to at least 250ft/lb and the manual says tighten blades to 75ft/lb so they are overtightened. What has caused the main problem is that it has crushed the washer ie. made it into a concave shape or the washer was too big so therefore it looks like this (- so I could not get enough purchase on the bolt as well.
So it is off to the mower repair shop and while its there adjust a few things. Just as well its pouring rain (4 inches ) so no work anyway.
Kubota has an allen key slot in its bolt so that it does not get rounded from abuse etc.

odin
21-10-2004, 06:58 AM
I do it the high tech way .....on the toros ..two arms and a 15/16th wrench .....and a scag blade buddy....works every time

GregG
21-10-2004, 01:23 PM
I do it the high tech way .....on the toros ..two arms and a 15/16th wrench .....and a scag blade buddy....works every time

I think ya right there Odin I have bought an attachment for my drill my drill so I can run a socket and use it to "finger tighten " stage or to loosen and tighten fully with a torque wrench. A rattle gun might just be too vicious. I guess that 75ft/lb that scag say is achievable by hand ?? and if they do tighten up then undo them with a rattle gun then!!!
One thing are the bolts right hand or left hand thread, it does not say anything in the manual?? :i dunno:

mick
21-10-2004, 07:21 PM
I got myself a 2.5hp 40L compressor from Auto Barn for $200, some hose for $50 or less and a kit which had the Rattle gun, tyre inflater, air chisel and something else like an angle grinder for $100. $350 odd totals not bad and gets the blade bolts off no worries and the little blower attachments great for cleaning things down. I had a Panasonic Impact driver which works sometimes, but not always.

dvmcmrhp52
22-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Tony,
The Exmarks call for something like 110 ft. lbs of torque for the blade bolts..........
The 14.4 volt dewalt cordless is somewhere right around the same torque rating, for me it's just a matter of taking the bolts as tight as they will with the cordless...............
On the other hand there are 2 different 14.4 volt cordless impact wrenches made by dewalt, one has a smaller drive, it has less torque..........don't remember the rating............
If your rating for the toro or a scag is less the cordless with a lesser rating may very well work for you the same as me.......just go to full torque...........

Doing blades by hand,I know ours are never at the 110 ft. lbs. that exmark recomends,(I don't check with a torque wrench) but have never had a problem, even when running doubles....................

Yeah Dave, except for an amber flashing safety light, a 14.4 v cordless rattler is gunna be in my possesion this season, if it ever rains....

Sure would beat bloody sockets!

Spose you need to still use the torque wrench so ya know you are at the correct torque...or can you set that on these cordless inventions?

Tonyr
22-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Thanks David Archerbald Allawishas!

So....ya still pushing those old mechanical prostitutes around ya lawns over there eh?

Thought you were gunna get a mans mower and see what real production is all about??

I getting my chute blocker plate modified, getting some formed sheet like a mulch kit welded onto it, so when it is on clippings will be aimed to go around and round, not left in a windrow, so on finer lawns with leaves etc I can run this poor mans mock up mulch kit....worth trying! Got the idea from some guy who made one and posted it on lawnsite recently...I'll let you know how it goes.

Gunna mow my new block in the yuppieville highlands tomorrow, sea breeze, ocean views...ahhhhhhh. Sounds great i know, i'm playing, a lot of my jobs are a lot better positioned, I live in a nice place.

Not like the bronx though...lol.

dvmcmrhp52
23-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Mechanical prostitutes????
No we have NEVER used "SCAGS"

A man's mower?
That would be a "hustler", correct?

Do let us know about your mulching modification, it would be interesting to hear.........

Let me get this straight...........You say you live in a nice place but yet you call it "yuppieville"????........Hmmmm, I don't think I'd call living with yuppies anything close to a nice place there, ya old misbegotten bloke! :laughing: But I guess you're right, nothing quite like the bronx :help: :eek:

Seriously though, I have every intention of seeing the land down under before taking that final dirt nap................beautiful place.

Thanks David Archerbald Allawishas!

So....ya still pushing those old mechanical prostitutes around ya lawns over there eh?

Thought you were gunna get a mans mower and see what real production is all about??

I getting my chute blocker plate modified, getting some formed sheet like a mulch kit welded onto it, so when it is on clippings will be aimed to go around and round, not left in a windrow, so on finer lawns with leaves etc I can run this poor mans mock up mulch kit....worth trying! Got the idea from some guy who made one and posted it on lawnsite recently...I'll let you know how it goes.

Gunna mow my new block in the yuppieville highlands tomorrow, sea breeze, ocean views...ahhhhhhh. Sounds great i know, i'm playing, a lot of my jobs are a lot better positioned, I live in a nice place.

Not like the bronx though...lol.

Tonyr
23-10-2004, 11:14 AM
LOL Dave! I'll pay that re Scags!

Yuppieville...1/2 to 2 areage on ocean frontage and foothills, mainly the rich and southern retirees, and bloody poms live there in their huge bloody castles/ homes.

It's like they are all competing who can own the biggest ugliest house to match their 60k plus cars...then they go buy a 3k ride on mower and go scrubing! no trimming though, bugger that! lol.

I'm going out in a few minutes to pick up a few rocks then mow, bit of fun for saturday arvo!

Shed errectors start in about 2 weeks....can't wait!

We spent up pretty big on the shed cause we expect to be in it for a bit, I'll post pics in a month,5 weeks or so.

Mans mower Hustler??
I don't wanna know where that come from....you guys get a bit wild on friday nights i hear ha ha ha ha ha

GregG
23-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Mechanical prostitutes????
No we have NEVER used "SCAGS"

LOL Dave! I'll pay that re Scags![QUOTE]

Whats wrong with Scags ;dealers; mine goes good, at least when it is back from the repair shop :dean:

Bloody hell I couldn't get the blades off because previous owner tightened too much, squashed (fanned) the washer and rounded the bolt off. The mechanic is now going to weld steel on to bolt to give leaverage to aid getting off, so new bolts required.
Whilst he was looking found spindle bushes stuffed ( blade wobbles when given a shake ) he says don't use it as may damage spindle casing.
He also found that the tracking adjustment bars on one side must have broken previously. What did the idiots do but they welded it up and that is why it is not going as fast as others I had tested. It was tracking to one side so to correct it at the moment I loose more speed.
Suppose I can't complain it only cost me $7500 thats why I wanted to get a new one in the 1st place. It was lucky that the old blades were well worn and I wanted to try these new mulching blades as my intention was to run it for about 20 hours see whats wrong and then get a full check over. If I had done that I could have been up for new spindles as well.
Luckily its too wet to mow so I told the mechanic fix it well and fix it good, if I spend the money now it will save me in the long run

GregG
23-10-2004, 12:22 PM

Hey Toooony :laughing: where it did you see it on lawnsite was it http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=80263&highlight=chute+blocker+plate ??? (I think I did that right)
I have had a look and there are many styles, which sort are you doing??
Areyou putting a lip on the inside to prevent windrows etc ??

I am going to have a go at one myself.

dvmcmrhp52
23-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Greg,
it's the age old "who's got the better mower" routine.........LOL!
My Exmarks are the greatest!
Tony's Toro thingamajig Is THE greatest to him..........
Then there's Greg.......He thinks his Scaggly wag is THE best mower......................

But of course in the REAL world even Tony knows what the RIGHT color red is.................... ;frosty;

Yup it's friday alright...................

Tony,
Have you never heard of "hustler" magazine????
Well lets put the two together........
Hustler mowers are pretty good commercial mowers..............Soooooo
Putting hustler magazine together with hustler mowers..........................
A MANS MOWER................Got it now ya old bloke????
Crikey!

HeHeHeHe :ebony:
Time to go,Y'all enjoy the rest of your weekend...........mine is just about to start!

Tonyr
23-10-2004, 01:47 PM
I'll get a pic for ya Greg, if I find the right pic on LS I'll post here...

Davey, Davey, Davey me old lad, as ya know we have entry level 'yellow/orange' types, like a big smiley on wheels really, and I know you know which is the 'best red'....everyone knows that....but it's ok mate to start off with a learner mower until you can get your butt on a Toro Z588E... ;frosty;

NOW ya can enjoy ya weekend! :laughing: :laughing:

GregG
24-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Davey, Davey, Davey me old lad, as ya know we have entry level 'yellow/orange' types, like a big smiley on wheels really, and I know you know which is the 'best red'....everyone knows that:

I always found that the best red was a Tamburlaine Grenache or Shiraz from the Hunter Valley :cheer:

mick
24-10-2004, 11:21 PM
I always found that the best red was a Tamburlaine Grenache or Shiraz from the Hunter Valley :cheer:

Might go in red but it comes out yellow/orangey colour! hehe

Tonyr
25-10-2004, 07:36 AM
Wish I had thought of that! :laughing: :laughing: :cool: