PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Edging

GregG
13-10-2004, 09:00 PM
How does everyone do their lawn edging ?? with a brushcutter or a dedicated edger ie like an Atom or a stick edger ?? :i dunno:

APS_QLD
13-10-2004, 09:09 PM
Great question i was going to ask this one. I use a whipper snipper however i was wondering who uses a dedecated edger and does it save in the long run?

Brian

Tonyr
13-10-2004, 09:48 PM
I prefer the cut of the Atom pro for perfect square edges, I believe it is also faster on long jobs too.

However, unless there is a lot of edging, I will just use the trimmer and cut an edge, the finish isn't quite as good and isn't as fast, but is quicker and easier to get out of trailer, start, set up and go...

I love the Atom, great machine.

But I prefer to use as least amount of machines as possible on a job being solo, loading and unloading machines takes time so if I can get a satisfactory edge with the trimmer I will use it.

I can confidently vouch for the Atom pro edger, easy to use and do a great job!

APS_QLD
13-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Thanks Tony input most welcomed

Brian

mick
14-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Just a line trimmer.

I had thought of getting an Atom but its more stuff to carry around and more expence for the blades etc. Also using a line trimmer you can do the whole property and not have to go back to the ute for the dedicated edger.

If I had 100's of meters of edging to do I'd look into an Atom again though!

Topcat
14-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Interesting, I just use a whipper snipper(Stihl)

I've been asked by a few clients lately to make the edges more formal.

I may have to look into an Atom pro - Thx Tony ;)

How long roughly do the blade last & cost.

What sort of price do ya charge for edging with one..

GregG
15-10-2004, 12:06 AM
There is a Victa Tilt a cut 2 stroke for sale locally says in ad in exceptional condition for $300 they go for $699 new I have not been able to speak to them yet, but does anyone have any experience with the Victa ??

APS_QLD
15-10-2004, 06:42 AM
I just use a trimmer, have considered a dedecated edger but felt the extra cost was not required at this stage.

Topcat: I am interested in what you mean by edges to be more formal :i dunno:

What is a formal edge, i assume you mean cut the edge square and not beveled.

Brian

Topcat
15-10-2004, 07:05 AM
Formal - Simply a trimmer line edge, easy in fescue, a bugger in couch's.

The client looks at it at a picture frame...... :laughing:

Tonyr
15-10-2004, 07:14 AM
OK, The Atom types and 3 wheeled types of edgers will cut through ferral overgrown edges better than a line trimmer and leave a square edge with no imperfections.

Say you had a manicured or at least half looked after lawn with lots of paths, there is no way a trimmer edge can compare, the cut is different, the blade edgers give a cleaner cut. Noticable in thicker/longer lawns...

But on ya average job I'm simply too lazy to get the thing out of the trailer, awkward, and most clients aren't that particular.

But if you had a big job e.g comercial, footpaths, lots of paths etc, blade edging is the go.

Sometimes ya still have to use a trimmer in places the blade edger won't go, but the blade edgers are great! The Atom style is great, you can control your cut bevel, width etc, never used a 3 wheeled jobbie, I think they may be more heavy duty, for those really big jobs, not sure. Not as compact as Atom either...

As as pricing, same as trimmer....blade edging is faster so quote of edging distance not time.

Blades for Atom are about 12 bucks or less, talk to Ebony, she supplies these and is very competitive!

My advice would be get a 4 stroke Atom verses the later 2 stroke like mine...

Haven't used mine is 12 months, pity, love the job these do!

When I started here I used to Atom, all curb and driveway edges as my signiture, as everyone else here used trimmers, a clean square cut really stands out, really stands out! I now have learned how to cut a square edge with a trimmer so that is suffice, but still a line cut cannot compare to a blade cut, and most clients wouldn't know the difference anyway so now I don't bother....mower, trimmer, blower, spray tank is all I use nowadays!

pacific lawn mowing
15-10-2004, 02:49 PM
We use a 4 stroke Atom Edger it works great nice cut and keeps the customer happy, blades last for ages and I find its quicker and does a better job than anything else, and starts first time every time. :aus-flag:

craig
15-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Atom great on those overgrown lawns rest of the time can't be bothered. Worthwhile when doing a lot of real estate work.Especially pre auction cleanups on neglected areas. Edge,double cut, fert with high nitrogen wk before auction comes up great for auction 4-6 wks after auction back to ratty old self. Clients & realestate really appreciate service[high value] & justifies expense of edger. Craig

screwdriverphillips
15-10-2004, 05:36 PM
In the West everyone uses a blade edger I use Mey edger cost $1050 but does a great job on edges and the good part is blades are only $1.20 in 50 bundles they establish the edge and you can whippersnip the edge when slow growth and any areas you cant get into you whippersnip.But in the West we use reel mowers so we are a little bit different.
Regards screwdriverphillips
Ezy Mowing
Melros Mandurah WA

QLD turfcare
15-10-2004, 06:52 PM
There is a Victa Tilt a cut 2 stroke for sale locally says in ad in exceptional condition for $300 they go for $699 new I have not been able to speak to them yet, but does anyone have any experience with the Victa ??

I bought a victa 2-stroke for $120 from the local pawn shop... it was a great unit to use, and is still running (although the rope starter broke, so I just use a cordless drill with a socket on it and start it from the top nut... LOL)

but I have just gotten a new Kawasaki 4 stroke one...the HE130A - what a machine... ! it adjust easily, is powerful quiet, and bright orange... never lose that one... LOL and the price was $665, including a litre of SAE30W for the 5 hour oil change...

here is a link...

http://www.kawasaki.com.au/au/all_products/powerproducts/powerproducts_subcat_lawnedgers/he130a/main.htm

I would never go back to a line trimmer unless I had to...

even on small jobs, the quality of the edge and the ease in getting it right is worth it... I like to say the edges look like they are outlined in texta... I will get some pics and show you... I should be doing my own lawn this weekend - The local council uses them in the parks, at the airport, cemetery etc... and I am a bit of an edge freak... I love a good edge to lawn, and I can see the difference... anything else in a good garden looks amateur now...

Once you have done the first cut or two, the edges really do start to maintain themselves to a degree... making future edging easier, and less wear on the blades...

I prefer the circular blade to the bar type... at about $12-14 a blade, they are also better value than line trimmers, and much easier to change... can you do 10-15 hours of edging for $12 of line and not have to stop to change it...?

I highly recommend the blades edgers... when your clients see the results, they will be impressed... and you will have more time for fishing or drinking...

GregG
15-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems that most agree that the Atom is the best but a Trimmer will suffice.
It appears as though Alex is the only one that uses a stick edger ( its a shindaiwa multi task machine ) and loves it although Mick had a multi tasker brand a shindaiwa I think and hated it.
Does any one else have experiences with stick edgers it seems that they may not be as powerful as an Atom.???

Brad
15-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Does any one else have experiences with stick edgers it seems that they may not be as powerful as an Atom.???

Hi all

I just bought a Shindaiwa multi tool and got the stick edger with it...I used it for the first time today and what a hoot...I did buy an Atom 2 stroke and it was a hoot also..but traded it on the Shindaiwa. The stick edger seems to be a bit easier to lug around and very easy to use and cuts a beaut edge.... seems powerful enough for me...then click...change to the whipper and do the horizontals.

Regards
Brad

QLD turfcare
16-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Some pictures...

Before

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ12.jpg

after

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ17.jpg

Before

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ9.jpg

after

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ19.jpg

an example of another edge... SHARP!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ22.jpg

Cheers,

David

QLD turfcare
16-10-2004, 03:04 PM
and the lawn overall...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ3.jpg

and...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ1.jpg

David

APS_QLD
16-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Got a photo of the stick trimmer?

Brian

mick
17-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems that most agree that the Atom is the best but a Trimmer will suffice.
It appears as though Alex is the only one that uses a stick edger ( its a shindaiwa multi task machine ) and loves it although Mick had a multi tasker brand a shindaiwa I think and hated it.

I just didnt like the 4 stroke engine when trimming etc. It wasnt the multi task machine, just a trimmer.
The 4stroke might work ok with other heads (hedge trimmer etc) but there is extra weight in the 4 stroke!

Lawnman
17-10-2004, 04:54 PM
like screwdrivers said over here in W.A we use an edger lol

Topcat
14-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Some pictures...

Before

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ12.jpg

after

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ17.jpg

Before

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ9.jpg

after

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ19.jpg

an example of another edge... SHARP!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/yamaha.dude/house/HQ22.jpg

Cheers,

David

I new, I''d seen something on here,

I will ask ,did it take long with the shindawa multi to do the driveway, it's just that I only have about 6 client to offer the use on this sort of service to, most the rest are up to scratch.

Indyanswer
25-11-2004, 03:16 PM
I also use an mey edger best edger in the world and yes blades just over a dollar each cant go wrong there also have used atom and stick edger u want a great finish use a blade edger .
But lately i think contractors should move more towards using wheeeled edgers mainly for saving there backs what a twisted web we weave when we edge body is twisted to all angles i cant remember ever getting twisted while mowing in western australia much healthier using an edger with wheels . ;frosty;

Alex Callaghan
25-11-2004, 03:47 PM
I would Imagine more "twisting" of the body would be going down with one of those big wheeled edgers!!
Stick edgers are light and manouverable and If ya use a bloody stick edger and it's hard on your back you should find anouther job! Council foot paths (500m plus) would be the only place I'd use a wheeled edger IMO.

Stick edgers are good for resies but I'd be looking at an Atom or Mey type edger on large jobs.
Having said that I've used the stick edger on some bigger stuff (3km or so) and it wasn't that bad but could've been better.

Indyanswer
26-11-2004, 07:42 AM
I was reffering to using a brushcutter as an edger or u might say line trimmer people that use brushcutters as edgers carry that brushcutter longer in a day than pushing a mower there are many types of lawn mowing contractors some just sit on a ride on some push mowers for kms a day but the hardest is using a brushcutter as an edger it may be quicker as some people think it is but its not good for the body i was once a macho man doesnt do you any good being all brawn because you pay for it big time down the track.we have to be wiser and a thinking worker today no more bull at a gate stuff

work smarter not harder

Each state in australia cuts lawns differently and with different machinery

Indyanswer
26-11-2004, 07:56 AM
greg the shindiawa edger is a brushcutter with a blade and wheel may be ok for developed edges but spend your money on an atom or three wheeler it will do all the jobs you need it to do not just some.if u buy the atom buy the one with the honda motor we sell them for 570.00 they are a stronger motor and slightly heavier which actually slightly reduces bounce especially on couch or buffalo and the blades are coming down in price all the time

Topcat
08-01-2005, 05:24 PM
I now use the shindawa edger a fair bit- it is good on the easy stuff.

But it ain't that good on the real over ran couch.. :sad:

Viceroy
08-01-2005, 11:07 PM
I got a Shindawa multi of late and have used the edger a few times with great result.
But find using Snipper easer can do edges and street signs and trees at same time.
But as Dean said the old back :mad:
Will have to try someones Atom sometime.

Tonyr
08-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Paul,

if ya do come up to the bay to feed me goat, I have a 2 stroke Atom edger you can try out, pretty good machines, especially on overgrown footpaths etc, I use atom only on big jobs, trimmer on most if reg. maintained.

They are worth the $$, personally my suggestion would be get a honda 4 stroke one though, love honda engines! the 2 stroke vibrates a lot, tough on hands!

Tonyr
08-01-2005, 11:13 PM
I've got a excellent condition aussie boy sprayer too, don't use it, don't want it....so if anyone wants to buy it....it is in the 4 sale thread anyway. just thought i'd mention it lol.

administrator
30-05-2007, 03:52 PM
You cant beat a straight blade edge :russ:

bb1
16-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi All, This thread has some good stuff in it. but is a little dated now, I am about to pick up a job with about 2 K's of edging, so am going for an edger rather than the whipper. Is the Atom still the favoured edger, or other there other around now that I should be considering :) :aus-flag:

administrator
23-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Blade edger gives you a much better looking edge :who-knows

Bgs
07-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi BB1,

Did you end up get an edger? If so hows it going.

One of the lawns i now do was previously done with a edger all the edges have a nice square deep edge and it has made it a breeze for me to run around with the whipper snipper

bb1
08-12-2007, 07:28 AM
Borrowed one and tried, found it took longer, so reverted back to the whipper.

Ability
10-12-2007, 05:54 PM
How do you cut up against a wall with an Atom? :i dunno:

Bgs
10-12-2007, 06:22 PM
I dunno, drop it on its side and drag it along the ground :i dunno:

heggie
10-12-2007, 06:34 PM
How do you cut up against a wall with an Atom? :i dunno:

on the TV ad they hold it at a 45 degree angle
:frightene

administrator
10-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Gee have a look at the video on there site

http://www.atomindustries.com.au/index.php?x=video

geejay
19-07-2008, 08:04 AM
use a shindy c4 power head with pole edger attachement on first cuts on tough running grass types(kikuya etc).,then line trimmer attachment on cuts for a couple of months until blade is needed again.on running grass the blade cuts the runners under the ground and on top,under ground is the key one as these runners on the surface slow the line trimming,they are tough and hard on the trimmer line,blade slices them easly and fast.the pole edger is daunting to use at first,but with persistance a breeze,love the finish,square miltary style.clients love it thats the main reason,service,service,gives you the edge on weekenders etc.in the end it depends on your market.ours is landscape/garden maintenance and these clients want the extra 1%.we will look at a atom edger for larger com jobs that want that miltary style finish.

administrator
19-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Best edgers are the www.mey.com.au edger 4hp cost around 1200 bucks powered by honda engine .blades about 2.00 a blade .life 10 years maybe more .Best money can buy in Australia

Atom edger used by most contractors as the price for a Atom honda powered edger 35 cc secret at www.indmowing.com.au priced till end of august 2008 .
Blades ****each .
life maybe 5 years and a bit more.

Pic below edges cut with an Mey Edger

also see thread
http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=7480#post7480

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=169&page=2&pp=15&highlight=atom+edger

administrator
19-07-2008, 09:57 AM
MEY EDGER STATS

Ever popular with the professional contractor, Town Councils, Cities and Shires, M.E.Y. Equipment's edgers have an unsurpassed reputation for reliability, quality and performance.

Special M.E.Y. Equipment's Edgers are designed for lawns, paths, verges and even golf bunkers. The three wheeled configuration allows for controlled straight line cutting and easy manoeuvrability on curved work riding on the front wheel, as on a wheelbarrow.

Standard Features
Heavy gauge painted steel frame of an all welded construction.
Precision ground sealed ball bearings throughout.
Pneumatic wheels fitted with tyre and tube.
Cutting head is fully machined to provide extended trouble free operation.
Adjustable heavy duty aluminium safety guard (steel guards on 14" blade models)
Height adjustment by spring loaded positive arm location.
AX section belt drive on long lasting machined steel pulleys.
Cutting speed up to 4000rpm and depth to a maximum of 125mm.
Edger Options
Both the Standard and Reverse Edgers come with a choice of Honda GX120 or GX160 OHV 4 stroke unleaded petrol engine with recoil start and safety oil alert.

Standard E12 (12" Blade) and E14 (14" Blade) have direct belt drive. The BE12 model is fitted with a centrifugal clutch and throttle control (dead man clutch) as an additional safety feature. The Reverse Edger versions are RE12, RE14 and BRE12.

Blade options include:
Wire braid heads for edging around quality paved areas.
12 tooth circular steel blades.
4 scalloped circular hardened steel blades.
Reverse Edger
In addition to the Standard range of edgers, we manufacture a Reverse Edger with the cutting head on the left hand side. This option has several advantages:

Reverse throw, eliminates damage to cars or buildings.
Reverse throw, reduces chance of injury to public.
Recoil start, right hand from behind edger handle.
Controls in easy reach for on/off switch, throttle and choke.
Facing on coming traffic on road verges.
Minimised dust and debris for the operator.

63impala
19-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Edgers I ve seen and used Tanaka around $1000 And Kawasaki Around 1200 they are good for flat areas but the best all round Atome edger with 35cc Honda $750 Good price.

simo
20-07-2008, 08:43 AM
I use a brushcutter allround but find it cuts better and sharper with square type trimmer cord..

dan1312
21-07-2008, 10:08 AM
i used a edger attactment on my tanaka for 12 months but 4 weeks ago upgraded to an atom edger (honda, pro) and i dont know why i didnt buy one of these when i started, makes the attachment seem like a toy. also got a self propelled honda mower while i was there and the back loves it. paid $1900 for both, took me 2 days and a bit of cash waving to get it but i wasnt paying anymore than that. Barry Francis Motorcycles in hamilton finally gave in. Roes motorcycles in warrnambool would only go as low as $2100. cost me $50 in fuel and a couple of hours to get it from hamilton but Saving $150 it was worth it. pays to shop around and never pay retail

63impala
21-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Is that a 35cc honda dout it not for $600 it would be the 25cc or even the 2 stroke.

administrator
21-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes 35 cc genuine Honda motor they have been selling them for that price since they came out .

would of paid your membership and a few beers with the money u would of saved :wave-hi:

glassngrass
22-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Is that a 35cc honda dout it not for $600 it would be the 25cc or even the 2 stroke.

Been using the green domestic 2-stroke Atom this last three years - great mum & dad unit, but lacks the guts and staying power demanded by a contractor.
Got the 35cc 4-stroke Professional Atom from Dean a couple of months back - delivered for $610-00. What a ripper! Guts, quiet, AND with the anti-vibration setup it won't shake the life out of your arms and leave your hands tingling afterwards!

Get the very best equipment you can afford! - it WILL pay for itself with reliability, easy of use and longevity.

If you got $600 bucks and then buy something else :i dunno:

63impala
22-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Yes 35 cc genuine Honda motor they have been selling them for that price since they came out .

would of paid your membership and a few beers with the money u would of saved :wave-hi:

Thats a dam good price $610 deleverd my mower shop is selling them for $720-750,

glassngrass
22-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Thats a dam good price $610 deleverd my mower shop is selling them for $720-750,

Yes, it is a damn good price - Only thing is, you got to assemble it yourself, takes 20 minutes! But if you haven't got the smarts to do that, then you're in the wrong game! haha ;)

With the money you save, buy yourself ILCOA membership and a slab. If you already got, put the savings toward insurance.

jez_za
03-08-2008, 05:39 PM
I had been using an Atom (both 4 and 2 stroke) for 4 years on a local retirement village with 196 units until the handyman who works there took it over with one of those changeable whip/edger/pole saw things.
It took me 9 hrs by myself to edge the lot, 5 hrs when I had the young bloke helping me.. it takes the new fella 15 hrs to do it by himself, I gave him a go with the Atom and he went straight up to the front office and started begging for one :p
The only problem I ever had was the blades chipping the concrete especially when the clutch started to wear out and the blades would keep spinning when idling but I understand you can get a softer compound blade which doesnt chip as bad, downside is you go through blades quicker.

geejay
03-08-2008, 08:21 PM
we use a pole prunner on a 4 stroke shidy mt,love it.its compact (storage)and does the job perfectly for our target clients:landscape garden maintanance from std gardens to 4 acres props.lots of very fussy clients,no complaints with the finish.it does take a little to get used to but once you have the knack its quicker than using a whipper snipper hortizontaly on tough grasses as there are no stops for more line,one just keeps going as the blade cuts and pulls one along.

great tool.............

dan1312
07-08-2008, 04:00 PM
we use a pole prunner on a 4 stroke shidy mt,love it.its compact (storage)and does the job perfectly for our target clients:landscape garden maintanance from std gardens to 4 acres props.lots of very fussy clients,no complaints with the finish.it does take a little to get used to but once you have the knack its quicker than using a whipper snipper hortizontaly on tough grasses as there are no stops for more line,one just keeps going as the blade cuts and pulls one along.

great tool.............

buy an atom and you will never use this one again. i havnt even looked twice at mine since i got an atom

geejay
07-08-2008, 05:15 PM
have to demo one,but still like being compact,not to much clutter,keep it simple,main thing clients like what the pole prunner does........ :)

geoff
07-08-2008, 05:59 PM
we also use atom edger , they are so good even the big company garden services use them , i know one company that has over 60 gardeners have 20 atoms ..... they are light , strong as and easy to operate.... ireckon the 2 stroke has more grunt

imoww
01-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Ive been using the Victa tilt a cut for ages. Cheap, powerfull and easy to use. Gives an excellent sharp cut if you change the blade to a circular blade.
I also use a stick edger that pretty much does the same thing but not as powerfull for long thick grass over the concrete path.

imoww
01-07-2010, 08:06 PM
To do the long drive way strips like in the pics above, I use the victa tilt a cut.... It just a quick walk down the drive way and wolah! All straight edges....