PDA

View Full Version : Hi Mate can I have a job !!!!!

Viceroy
20-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Yesterday this young guy(18-20) stopped me while doing a lawn and asked me for a job. I said not as this stage but after this rain yea I will have some work for you. He then asked if he could cut the lawn I was doing, as i was still doing the edges I said yea. He asked for $10 as the job was $30 I said sure. It was great I was able to do some maintenance on my Whipper snipper. He did a great job and i gave him $12.
This is where it turns funny ( sort of)
He had a Lawn business and had everything stolen a few months ago. So he was walking around with a set of Shears and a Saw in a back pack asking people if they needed some trimming done etc etc and was doing great. So after he had done the lawn for me he went up the whole street and knocked on doors asking if people wanted there lawn done etc. He did ok i gave out 3 quotes and I have to see them again in 2 weeks when in the area.
After he was done I said i would give him a lift home as he was on his pushie and a storm was coming.He lived 20 min in the car away from where i was working. WOW
He was a really nice kid .
I know about the trust thing with people these days.
But he must get 10 out of 10 for effort.

craig
20-10-2004, 11:45 AM
If you've got his number tell him to give me a call[0404822082] I'll through him a bit of work for sure.I look & can't find decent staff. Craig

APS_QLD
20-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Wonder if he's the same guy that past my way sometime back. I was doing a job at Ferny Grove and was packing up and this young fella was walking up the road with a whipper snipper and a can of fuel (hire stuff).

It was a bloody hot day and i made converstaion with him and he said he quoted this job site unseen for $80.00 "he needed the money" out of that he had to hire the gear and had no money to fuel his car so he walked from Stafford to Ennogera then to Ferny Grove did the job took him 2 hours and he was on his way home. I'm guessing but would be close to 10 k or more one way.

I asked why he did not wait to get fuel for his car then do the job. He promised this lady he would do it that day and forgot he had no fuel for the car and was unable to contact the lady because she was at work. So he walked.

I gave him a lift back home. I got his number .......... but do you think i can find it now :i dunno:

As you said it very hard to find good help.

Brian

Steve Ladlow
21-10-2004, 04:15 PM
I answered my mobile yesterday to a kid asking if i had any work for him. Said no but got his number in case.
Good to a bit of inititive out there