PDA

View Full Version : long grass

gilcanmow
25-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Hello everyone. I have a question for the more experienced mowers amongst you, I have just started my own mowing business here in Canberra (and loving it). Most of the jobs I am getting is for cutting grass knee to waist height. The problem I'm having is that with the recent rain the grass (more like weeds) is wet and fallen over and the mower is not picking it up, I am slashing the grass before mowing, any ideas beside waiting until it dry's out.

On another point are there any members here in Canberra that I can contact as I'm getting calls for areas I can't do but I hate to turn business away.

Have a :laughing: day.

bradtez
25-10-2004, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=On another point are there any members here in Canberra that I can contact as I'm getting calls for areas I can't do but I hate to turn business away.

.[/QUOTE]

HI Gilcanmow.

I am also a member here in Canberra, i work on only the south side and central (yarralumla/deakin etc). Where abouts are you?

Brad

Brad's Backyard
Landscaping & Minidiggers

pacific lawn mowing
25-10-2004, 08:58 PM
No easy way to cut long wet grass I use the mower set at its highest level pick up what I can, then go over it at normal cutting hight. Make sure your blades are sharp and have a good raised bevel on them.Canberra's not all that big I travel 30 to 40 ks to some jobs don't knock too many back remember winter you will need them then. :aus-flag:

bradtez
25-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Canberra's not all that big I travel 30 to 40 ks to some jobs don't knock too many back remember winter you will need them then. :aus-flag:

You are correct Canberra is only very small, but i still dont travel more than 15-20km's for jobs, i can finally be very picky about my jobs :wave-hi: ..even in winter.

Brad

gilcanmow
25-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Hey Brad, I service the northside (based in Flynn). Drop me an email to gilcanmow@msn.com.

bradtez
25-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Gil,

email on the way

Brad

mick
25-10-2004, 09:50 PM
No easy way to cut long wet grass I use the mower set at its highest level pick up what I can, then go over it at normal cutting hight. Make sure your blades are sharp and have a good raised bevel on them.

This is probably the way to go although if its waist high, thats probably too long to just use the pushy because as soon as you move it forward the bag would fill almost instantly.

You could try...
When/if brushcutting, move the head of the trimmer up and down as well as side to side. This helps chop it up more and if you cut the grass at least in half it dosnt tend to wrap around the head so much!
Another option is to get yourself a ride-on of some sort and mow it with that first then run over it with the pushy to pick it up. Depends how wet it is to give the best finished look.

Wet long grass is a curse on the mower man!