PDA

View Full Version : whipper snipper

geoff1969
30-06-2009, 03:04 PM
problem with back up ryobi whipper snipper { yeh i know there crap } but find it good and light in some areas about 2 years old never missed a beat turned it off now wont start :i dunno: - getting fuel also has spark muffler clean . fuel lines fine changed plug - any ideas

Wattle GC
30-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Possible broken piston ring or stuck needle and seat in the carburator..(This happens when the machine is not used for a while and the fuel goes off in the carbi)...Check if it has compression (I assume its a two stroke)..
Other than that replace the plug and check fuel oil mix with fresh fuel..

geoff1969
30-06-2009, 05:23 PM
cheers wattle GC

yep has plenty of compresion - think it must be in carby flodding it .
its just a handy little machine for some places and ran perfect didnt miss a beat turned it off now wont start= frustration = noticed the plug seems to be very wet so maybe in carby

Wattle GC
30-06-2009, 05:33 PM
cheers wattle GC

yep has plenty of compresion - think it must be in carby flodding it .
its just a handy little machine for some places and ran perfect didnt miss a beat turned it off now wont start= frustration = noticed the plug seems to be very wet so maybe in carby

Seems like carby.. Possible stuck needle and seat This makes the fuel bowl float remain high thus flooding it with fuel. It only take a little bit of grit to make this happen.. Does it have a fuel Filter?.(if so ,may need changing)..
Remove the carby and give it a bit of a clean taking note of the needle and seat and make sure the float can moove up and down..

greasemonkey
30-06-2009, 08:31 PM
If the plug is wet, that says to me that it is getting fuel into the cylinder. Check that the fuel is fresh and doesn't have water in it or anything. If you think it's flooded turn the choke off hold the throttle on flat out and pull it over and see if you can get it to fire. If you can get it to actually run, a lot of the time the engine compression can suck the crap in the carby through and they can clean themselves out.

geoff1969
30-06-2009, 09:07 PM
hi grease monkey
yeh plug is realy wet so yeh definately flooding checked the needle and seat not stuck - filter in tank clean - good compresion - new spark plug with spark so flooding itself tryed as you said turned choke off and full throtal about a dozen good pulls and seems like fuel running straight through and out muffler :laughing: so id say thats the problem , was running fine i turned it off then just wouldnt start brothers a mechanic will get him to look at it not worth paying a shop to fix $180 machine , maybe a key way or some thing has let go when restarting it and now fireing at wrong time :i dunno: just handy little machine in some tight spots and around shrubs etc .
big thanks to
wattle GC and grease monkey for advice
cheers geoff

Redeye
02-07-2009, 08:42 PM
I bought a Stihl bent shaft when I first started out - was pretty p**ed
off to find out it was a re-branded Ryobi when it crapped out. Recently
got a Makita as a back-up,good price with a Robin engine.

geoff1969
02-07-2009, 08:54 PM
yep its interesting who buys what off who and then relabels it as there own - or what companys are conected to each other .

mabye there a thread in that

as for mine brother has it now said he will have a look at it when he gets a chance he also said its a pice of crap and it was possessed and its time it died.

Wattle GC
03-07-2009, 08:10 AM
I guess you get what you pay for..I now use all husky equipment and glad i changed..Cost a bit but definatly worth it..

63impala
03-07-2009, 09:56 AM
tHE ONLY HUSKYS I BYE ARE CHAINSAW THEY ARE THE BEST EVERY THING ELSE STIHL {BYE THE BEST BYE IT ONCE, BYE SECOND BEST BYE IT TWICE THATS MY MOTO}

DavidS
03-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Why buy a Husky when you buy the best for everything else, but you buy the second best chainsaw. Sthil saws are awesome

Redeye
03-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Japanese for me,European made products seem to be getting too iffy -
"made on a Mon/Fri" scenario.Kawasaki/Shindaiwa all the way!

My chinese Baumr 22" saw has done a mountain of work,still going like new & I'll replace with the same when it dies for the price(cheaper than a new bar & chain)

kns
05-07-2009, 09:22 AM
problem with back up ryobi whipper snipper { yeh i know there crap } but find it good and light in some areas about 2 years old never missed a beat turned it off now wont start :i dunno: - getting fuel also has spark muffler clean . fuel lines fine changed plug - any ideas

Did you fix it?
It sounds like your carby metering diaphragm has gone hard and is keeping the needle valve open, happens all the time especially if you do not use the machine on a regular basis, the gas will make it go hard, change a lot in my shop . If you change this it should fix your problem it looks something like this

Wattle GC
06-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Japanese for me,European made products seem to be getting too iffy -
"made on a Mon/Fri" scenario.Kawasaki/Shindaiwa all the way!

My chinese Baumr 22" saw has done a mountain of work,still going like new & I'll replace with the same when it dies for the price(cheaper than a new bar & chain)

Aggh each to their own.. Thats why we drink diffrent brands of beer..It all tastes diffrent but the end result is the same .Its how we all handle the hangover that matters..

just john
06-07-2009, 04:37 PM
over the years ive used the old echoes when they first came out then Dolmar then Huskies but my 2x Shindaiwa T270 out performs anything i have previously used :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

geoff
06-07-2009, 04:49 PM
if you have the funds shindawai is the best , we have everything shindy , blowers backpack blowers and whippers , the out last years and years in fact they turn out cheaper than the the throw away ones like the bunnings crap....we have got some whippers that have been thrashed over 6 years and start first time...a great feeling when you pull the cord and it starts.. so worth the investment if u are in for the long haul...

geoff1969
06-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Did you fix it?
It sounds like your carby metering diaphragm has gone hard and is keeping the needle valve open, happens all the time especially if you do not use the machine on a regular basis, the gas will make it go hard, change a lot in my shop . If you change this it should fix your problem it looks something like this

hi kns
brothers got it at present and havent heard from him yet but with it flooding like it was he commented that it could be the diaphram in carby letting to much fuel past as thay loose flexibility :i dunno:
as said only cheap one but handy - its more of a revenge thing on my behalf now just to make the b####rd start so i get the final say and not the machine ;dealers; sorry for late reply to you , been buisy with family and buying new trailer , will let you now if we find out
cheers and apreciate your help kns
geoff

geoff
03-08-2009, 03:38 PM
does any one use a grease nipple at the cutting end for greasing...??? the screw arrangements doent allow enough grease to me anyway...

ian
03-08-2009, 06:54 PM
i read somewhere that the reason they don't use a nipple at the cutting end is because the force of the line that close could force dirt into the nipple and consequently into the gear chamber
i use a plastic nozzle [from the sealant tubes ] pushed on the end of the grease gun i cut the other end so it's slightly smaller than the screw hole then it sort of screws in

geoff
03-08-2009, 06:56 PM
now thats a great idea ian..thank you

Redeye
03-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by geoff1969
problem with back up ryobi whipper snipper { yeh i know there crap } but find it good and light in some areas about 2 years old never missed a beat turned it off now wont start - getting fuel also has spark muffler clean . fuel lines fine changed plug - any ideas
My Kawasaki is doing the same thing.I started pulling the carby down when I noticed the rubber thingy inside the primer was in pieces. :i dunno:

geoff1969
03-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by geoff1969
problem with back up ryobi whipper snipper { yeh i know there crap } but find it good and light in some areas about 2 years old never missed a beat turned it off now wont start - getting fuel also has spark muffler clean . fuel lines fine changed plug - any ideas
My Kawasaki is doing the same thing.I started pulling the carby down when I noticed the rubber thingy inside the primer was in pieces. :i dunno:

yeh brother got it fixed put new gaskets and sills in carby and a new primer bulb said it seems ok now :) just got to pick it up from him . i didnt notice the primer bulb looked and seemed ok to me but brother said it was hard so it got replaced all up only about $15 in total
cheers geoff

ian
04-08-2009, 12:40 AM
geoff you have to make sure it's pushed on hard or the pressure will push it off i have taped it on