PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new trailer

big_ed92
30-06-2009, 10:55 PM
hi guys i have my old 8x5 cage trailer still good and all but i hate chaining all my gear!!!!!!! also if i wanted to install 2 new boxes for most of the gear it will cost me close to $1200 for two new tool boxes so its time to mabey get a new trailer

i am considering buying a tradesman trailer it seams to be a lot better than just a cage as all the gear is secure inside and can be locked away very quickly also all the space for signage :)

all that would need to be added to it is to weld a floor and a ramp on the frount for the push mower but dont know how big to make the ramp or to have it for 1 or 2 mowers any ideas?

heres a link to the trailer

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270413144049&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

also what are your thoughts on this type of trailer any recomendations on it or mabey what i should get or modified on this trailer?

thanks ed

roodog
30-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Not sure if you have tried the Forum Search
Some great Ideas with Pic's http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=936&highlight=trailers

Wattle GC
01-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I have had a bit of experiance with trailers ..The bigger the trailer the better i guess however mine was made of steel.You buet lock up everthing with ramp for ride on ,ladder racks etc six grands worth..Problem was It was to bloody heavy especially when loaded right up..I eventually sold it for this reason.
I had a Flower power garden care franchise ( but i wont go there ) and the trailers were built by "Opel Trailers 'in QLD.Great trailer but like I said to heavy..They might be able to give you some good ideas though.
I would stick with heavy guage alloy where possible and trailer brakes are a must.Dual wheels is also handy for heavy loads like mulch ,soil etc.Specs may vary for your needs but i used every available inch up and including the mudguard area.Make sure you can wheel in a wide deck mower into a mower box as some of them are quite narrow and spend a bit on good locks and catches.
Spend time to get your specs right..

GreenHaven
01-07-2009, 03:44 PM
at the monent i have a 4x7 completly enclosed steel trailer with a drop down ramp on the back and a big tool box on the draw bar it does its job well atm but i do have a few downers about it - ventilation (the exhast seems to linger ), im tall so i have to bend down to get some things out of it (a pain if your doin it 20 times a day ) and its just a tinny bit to small just another foot would be perfect . and its a big wind sail as its boxy .

Wattle GC
01-07-2009, 04:25 PM
at the monent i have a 4x7 completly enclosed steel trailer with a drop down ramp on the back and a big tool box on the draw bar it does its job well atm but i do have a few downers about it - ventilation (the exhast seems to linger ), im tall so i have to bend down to get some things out of it (a pain if your doin it 20 times a day ) and its just a tinny bit to small just another foot would be perfect . and its a big wind sail as its boxy .

Its worth taking the time to nut out exactly what you want and to build the trailer to suit your specification.Its an expensive exercise especially if you get it wrong as trailers are worth bugger all second hand and purpose built..The lighter materials such as alloy are better than steel in some cases but think carefully of the use intended and how "Heavy Duty" you may need it.There are many ideas for cabnets ,mower boxes,ladder racks etc..Check out some of the franchise websites such as flower power garden care,VIP etc and use up their ideas if they have trailer pictures posted..