PDA

View Full Version : pressure cleaning

NLALM
16-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm thinking of adding this service the lawns are a bit quite at the moment Driveways and pavers only no house washing. Any advice on what brand machine and hp needed to do this sort of work would be much appreciated.

m287j
16-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I have an Aussie Pumps machine with a 6.5hp Honda engine, it is plenty big and strong enough to do jobs. These machines (with a Honda engine) cost around $1,000 brand new. I have a turbo head on mine and they cost $200 or so.

Bigger hp means bigger $$$$ and personally i don't think are necessary unless you are going to make pressure cleaning a big part of your business.

Avoid the Chinese imports and non-Honda engine machines, too many problems and not commercial quality. With my machine i know anyone can service the motor and being an Aussie machines parts are easy to get.

bb1
18-07-2009, 07:33 PM
I have a small Karcher which seems to work ok, my lady friend recently purchased a Sthil for her cleaning business and did a great job on a deck and outside house walls

Ability
22-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Aussie pumps AB40 Honda GX390 13hp 4000psi bertollini pump with rotary whirl-a-way cleaner, turbo head and double lance.

If you want to do driveways and paths look into a rotary Whirl-a-way it will save you bucket loads of time and you won't have to go over them again because of streaks! They also save getting everything other than the area you are cleaning covered in muck.

Get a petrol powered, when I first started I had a small electric unit. One day cleaning around a pool I turned around and found the ext lead socket in the pool! Also much easier to manouvre, one less lead/hose to worry about. Make sure you get one with a quality pump either interpump or bertollini.

For a brand new unit with accesories don't expect change from $5K. Ebay often has some good 2nd hand ones.

Check out - http://www.interpump.com.au/index_01.html

http://www.aussiepumps.com.au/high-pressure-cleaning-equipment/high-pressure-cleaning-equipment.html

NLALM
29-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks mate checked out Aussie pumps they emailed me the prices I would like a setup like you have cash is a bit tight at the moment so will have to wait a while I'll keep my eye on ebay but is it ok to buy second hand would love to get a whirlaway they look the goods
Do you get much pressure cleaning work and how do you pick it up?

Ability
30-07-2009, 07:26 PM
I offer it to my existing clients as an additional service. Pick up a bit of work this time of year when paths and driveways are mossy/dirty. I also drop flyers and occasional small ad in local rag. Come spring there is huge demand as people get outside again.

NLALM
31-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Spoke to the aussie pumps guy today. very helpful would love to buy the cleaner and whirl a way cash is a little tight at the moment so may have to wait a while

Ability
31-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Keep an eye out on ebay and trading post - they do come up often. many blokes try to start-up doing this full time only to find they don't get enough work and sell up.

NLALM
02-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah will keep my eye out for one. thanks for your help

ian
04-08-2009, 12:33 AM
how do you guys go with water restrictions or can you get exemptions

Ability
04-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Yes in Sydney you need a permit from Sydney Water - not to hard to get set up if you are a registered business.

mowjoman
05-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Whatever you get (I've got a spitwater pic in other thread in this section http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=31064#post31064 ) make sure in your prestart you check the bolts securing the pump to the frame.
On a job a little while back destroyed a belt...cause, the pump had moved a poofteenth out of alignment.
Also if property your working has poor water pressure it struggles to keep up. Mine has a water reservoir so have to run a second hose to it in this case.

Average driveway takes bout 30 to 40 mins with rotor wash attachment.

When I use the lance i.e steps, walls etc I charge out at $50/hr and if using Rotor wash charge out roughly $1/sqm.

Ability
27-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Mowjo - do you mean to say there is a belt between your pump and motor? Mine is direct shaft drive - never seen one with a belt? :i dunno:

Always a good idea to let the tap run for a few minutes before you start (you don't know how long since it was last used) as you can get some crud in your hoses/jets etc causing them to block-up.

NLALM
30-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Hey ability I checked out your website very good. I am still really keen on getting into the pressure cleaning, and was wondering if I buy a whirlaway should I go for the 20inch or 16 inch There are some good deals on the same machine as yours at the moment. So I may jump sooner than later, with the way the lawns are going at the moment it could be a bad summer coming if we don't get some rain soon.It's been my worst winter mowing in 7 years and my clients seem to be dropping like flys latley. I'm going to start advertising this week but it is just so hard to pick up new work. Everyday I see at least one or two new guys around. I think everyone who gets laid off buys a mower and starts up.It's killing this industry.Maybe the cleaning will take off I have to try something .

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
30-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Can anyone tell me what the laws in victoria are for using a pressure cleaner. Have tried finding out on the net but have had no luck finding the right info yet?

geoff
30-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Hard surfaces (including bricks,
pavers, concrete, timber or other
impermeable materials)
Water may only be used to clean hard surfaces as follows:
• if cleaning is required as a result of an accident, fire, health hazard, safety hazard or other
emergency, a hand-held hose fitted with a trigger nozzle may be used
• if cleaning is required during construction or renovation works, a high-pressure water cleaning
device may be used.
thats quoted from the stage 3a site glenno....ive rang them and if the pavement is dangerous say , slippery due to moss etc you are allowed to use a high pressure cleaner to make it safe , but not to make it look good.......

administrator
31-08-2009, 07:33 AM
What to clean

brick cleaning, concrete cleaning, driveway cleaning, block cleaning, tile cleaning, stone cleaning, grout cleaning, pavement cleaning, path cleaning, paver cleaning, graffiti removal, graffiti protection, paint removal, heritage building cleaning, factory cleaning, roof cleaning, floor maintenance, high rise window cleaning, construction cleaning, builders final clean, fire damage cleaning, complete house exterior cleaning,billboard and sign cleaning .

Places to clean

railway stations, public meeting areas, historical buildings, government buildings, shopping centres, petrol stations, car parks, schools, commercial business, domestic homes ,fast food restaurants, kfc, rtc, yobbo areas football clubs the list is endless work everywhere .

Oil & Grease needs to be treated immediately as it is the material most likely to leave stainage or spoiling that cleaning cannot rectify. If a concrete, paver, all tiled surface which has not been sealed is subjected to oil or grease it will most likely be permanently stained unless you act immediately. Stains can be removed using a number of products, many of which contain hazardous ingredients. We recommend using an eco-friendly product wherever possible.

Example Cleaning
Brick Cleaning

The appearance of a brick building can be permanently damaged with the wrong cleaning technique. Minimal pressure should be implemented at all times on all brickwork to preserve its soft characteristics.

The important core of pressure cleaning is knowing and to identify all of the stains and contaminants and undrestanding the surface characteristics.

The chemicals used during cleaning are highly corrosive (some are classified as S6 poisons). The manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions should always be followed.

Remove all mortar dags by scrapper

Thoroughly wet surface down as well as nearby surfaces.

Ensure the protection of all metals, timbers, smooth or decorative concrete

Use correct acid mixture

1 part acid 10 parts water – dark bricks

1 part acid 15-20 parts water – light bricks

Thoroughly rinse with minimal pressure

Repeat processes as necessary.

Everything you will have to clean has been cleaned b4 so for every possable surface you may have to clean you need to have the information use the internet for the guide .

Of course you will also need to know what happens if you get it wrong .

Great website on cleaning bricks below and the dangers of high pressure cleaning certain types .

http://www.australbrick.com.au/national/brick_manual_3_brick_cleaning_and_maintenance.php

administrator
31-08-2009, 07:46 AM
From what i have studied you will need a chemical licence Public liability ,Occupational Health and safety Procedures, environmental laws very important, in some cases traffic management .

A firm knowledge of surfaces and stains stains and chemicals and machinery .
Documentation of each job to protect yourselve and in my way of thinking pics of each job b4 and after cant be to carefull these days .
Issues of particular concern include:

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/sustainbus/pressurecleaners.htm

wastewater running into gutters and stormwater drains
the containment and disposal of cleaning sludge
pollution from cleaning additives, materials washed off the cleaning surface, and chemicals reacting with the cleaning surface.
Be aware of your legal responsibilities

Although pressure cleaners do not work from fixed premises, they do have to comply with a range of legislation. Review the Environmental legislation and compliance overview for further information.

On-the-spot fines of $1500 for companies and $750 for individuals could be issued under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (POEO Act) if you put anything other than clean water down the stormwater drain - even if it is accidental.

Water waste best plan .

Waste water generated from cleaning operations is collected, processed through recycle plants and reused as 'grey' water.

Done Once
Done Right
Done Safely
Done Cost Efficiently

Example

Graffiti Removal

Firstly you will need to identify the substrate and graffiti material. Painted surfaces will in 99.9% of the time require colour matching and re-painting to effectively and economically remove graffiti. Use a graffiti remover that is suitable and will not damage the substrate.

Raw brickwork, concrete or masonry can be treated with a number of paint/graffiti removing chemicals. The most common type is Methylene chloride based. Methylene chloride presents severe health hazards and is considered to be a potential occupational carcinogen. When in use, personnel must avoid all contact with skin and avoid inhalation of vapors. DO NOT use in a confined area without respiratory masks.

Alternatively, there are biodegradable options now available without the hazards materials found in less expensive products.

Usually on masonry graffiti will leave what is known as a “Shadow”. The “Shadow” is paint embedded deeply in the pores of the substrate which cannot be removed with paint or graffiti remover.

PRICEING JOBS

Dont quote me but about 1.80 to 2.50 A SQUARE METRE

:aus-flag:

Pic below looks like your ride on lol

This machine may get around the water restrictions as it reclaims the water usuage great for driveways etc

Swabby 48 is an efficient drivable brushless surface cleaner with world wide patents that allows a single operator to effectively clean a 1.2 metre path, reclaim the water and eliminate the hazardous waste while reducing your water consumption in excess of 80%. .

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
31-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Hard surfaces (including bricks,
pavers, concrete, timber or other
impermeable materials)
Water may only be used to clean hard surfaces as follows:
• if cleaning is required as a result of an accident, fire, health hazard, safety hazard or other
emergency, a hand-held hose fitted with a trigger nozzle may be used
• if cleaning is required during construction or renovation works, a high-pressure water cleaning
device may be used.
thats quoted from the stage 3a site glenno....ive rang them and if the pavement is dangerous say , slippery due to moss etc you are allowed to use a high pressure cleaner to make it safe , but not to make it look good.......
Thanks for that Geoff

mowjoman
03-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Mowjo - do you mean to say there is a belt between your pump and motor? Mine is direct shaft drive - never seen one with a belt? :i dunno:

Always a good idea to let the tap run for a few minutes before you start (you don't know how long since it was last used) as you can get some crud in your hoses/jets etc causing them to block-up.

Yeah mate, belt driven.

Bluey
03-09-2009, 07:36 AM
If your in an area with water restrictions don't forget that you will need a permit from the relevant water authority. I have permits from SA Water for roofs and building facades, another for driveways and paved areas and another for vehicles and aircraft (to clean my mowers and other equipment)

Ability
03-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey ability I checked out your website very good. I am still really keen on getting into the pressure cleaning, and was wondering if I buy a whirlaway should I go for the 20inch or 16 inch There are some good deals on the same machine as yours at the moment. So I may jump sooner than later, with the way the lawns are going at the moment it could be a bad summer coming if we don't get some rain soon.It's been my worst winter mowing in 7 years and my clients seem to be dropping like flys latley. I'm going to start advertising this week but it is just so hard to pick up new work. Everyday I see at least one or two new guys around. I think everyone who gets laid off buys a mower and starts up.It's killing this industry.Maybe the cleaning will take off I have to try something .

Hi Mark - I have just launched a new website especially for pressure cleaning. see - www.highpressureclean.com.au

As for whirlaway size - I have a 20 inch, I guess the larger in size, the quicker you're gonna get through it! Just like a Honda mower 21" or 19".

NLALM
04-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Mate that is another good website.You must be getting some work. I'm worried about spending the money on gear and not getting any jobs. I have been checking everywhere the best deal is an Aussie pump 13hp I think that is the same as yours and a 16inch whirlaway delivered I am in Newcastle for $3500 . I have to do something to get some work I have lost heaps over the past 12 months and haven't picked up any, lawns that is. I"m so desperate I am looking for a job. I don't want to spend the $3500 and not pick up anything.

Ability
04-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Mate that is another good website.You must be getting some work. I'm worried about spending the money on gear and not getting any jobs. I have been checking everywhere the best deal is an Aussie pump 13hp I think that is the same as yours and a 16inch whirlaway delivered I am in Newcastle for $3500 . I have to do something to get some work I have lost heaps over the past 12 months and haven't picked up any, lawns that is. I"m so desperate I am looking for a job. I don't want to spend the $3500 and not pick up anything.

Test the market - try dropping some flyers in your local area or running a small ad in the local papers specifically for pressure cleaning, if you get some bookings then spend the $. target your existing clients and see if there is any potential work. Keep checking Ebay etc. you might be able to buy a 2nd hand machine and use it before you upgrade.

Stripes
05-09-2009, 08:16 AM
The site looks great Shane.

Doreen's driveway came up beautiful!

NLALM
09-09-2009, 06:54 PM
I have thought of advertising to see if I can pick up some jobs but I'm a bit worried that I would have to learn to use the gear first. I mean I have used pressure cleaners before but not a whirlaway and not a machine as powerful as the 13hp unit.I am really keen to give it a go.It's just the $

Ability
09-09-2009, 07:01 PM
You could always hire one and give it a test at home!

NLALM
14-09-2009, 02:23 PM
checked out the spitwater 13hp gear driven unit looks ok but is dearer than the aussie pumps. will have to do something soon I have been advertising in 2 papers for lawn and garden work and have not picked up 1 job having no work and not being able to pick up any is really starting to stress me out.

administrator
23-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Get your pressure cleaners up and running if your in Sydney metro and earn some dollars .

NEWS REPORT
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/sydney-turns-red-dust-storm-blankets-city-20090923-g0so.html

Stripes
23-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Business will be booming for Shane! Everything is covered in orange dust. I am not working today. My lungs won't cope with the dust. Even just from walking outside for a minute to take a few pics I am struggling. My lungs are dodgy so I'm not going to risk working in this.

Ability
23-09-2009, 04:42 PM
I reckon there might be a few house washes coming soon!!!! :russ:

ian
23-09-2009, 06:18 PM
probably a good idea to not work imagine what it would do to the airfilters

SouthCoast Walker
24-09-2009, 11:26 PM
What sort of money is the whirlaway worth? What was involved in getting the water restriction exemption?

NLALM
25-09-2009, 07:03 PM
The 16 inch whirlaway is about $780 and the 20 inch is just over a grand we have no water restrictions in Newcastle but I believe if it is your business it's not a problem in getting an exemption

Neil&family
30-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Mmm. Thinking this service will be in high demand around my neck of the woods.
2000+ homes and 200+ businesses affected by flood.

NLALM
02-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Funny thing I have just read all the threads on pressure cleaning and have wanted to get more into it for a few years now but it just hasn't happened. Then the other day I spotted a good cleaner on gumtree rang the guy and have just come home with a shiny as new Aussie pumps 13hp machine less than half price, the guy bought it done his driveway once moved house and it had been sitting in his shed for a few months. I think that is a good deal, now I just need a whirlaway and Im set let me tell you this thing has some grunt

63impala
20-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Getting my preesure washer fixed next week....

As a old friend of mine needs work done on his roof and as a sighn of respect I was going to help them out bye repointing there roof in my spare time....Is there any roofers with any tips for a smart D.I.Yer would be appreated....

As there is a chance for a job opurtunty in a few months working interstate so i would not have time to do it....There are very nice people so I think they would apperate it....

Spraying the roof is no proplem as the old man there used to have a painting bussiness so no dramas on tips from him on that department...

But any roofers with advise would be very helpfull....

63impala
20-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Love having a beer with this guy Plumber,Carpenter,Painter one of them guys you wanna pick there brain every time you meet them....3 bussiness alway say old mate you sure have lived....

63impala
20-03-2013, 04:43 PM
He roll over to my place He like 63 I dont get howe you fix all them engines pritty smart I dont get that sort of thing Know throw me a beer....A alabama slamer a the old mates reffers them as just a brewski mate lol....

63impala
22-03-2013, 05:06 PM
The old mate gets back to me hes like when can you start I said soon ass the pressure washer up and running....I said what colour were you after he said a maroon for ''QLD'' lipstick red high closs 2 coats.... I said you will have a cottage look going on hes like 63 need a whether vein on the point....I said them things retail 4 hundo for a quality one....Cheers old mate....

cadase
17-07-2013, 08:50 AM
This is a national company that specializes in roofs, "safety, what's that "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NNeisLhbkLY