PDA

View Full Version : Edging Lawns

collingwood
31-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Hey all

Just wondering.... if you want a nice finish on your lawn edges do you get good enough results just using a brush cutter/whipper snipper or do you think it's better to get specific equipment like a atom lawn edger. I guess it all depends on what the client wants and your expertise with the brushcutter. Maybe there are some people that will only use a lawn edger or vice versa. Not sure. What do you reckon??? What do youse use??? Is getting an atom lawn edger worth the outlay??

All advice greatly appreciated

Lindy

APS_QLD
31-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Lindy,

I use a whipper snipper and get a damn fine edge,however if I had lots of edging to do ie unit complexes, shopping centres i would be using a dedicated edger.

If you go to the search icon next to where it says new post and click on that and type in a search on this topic you will find a discussion on this about two weeks ago.

Welcome to the site
Brian

collingwood
31-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Thanks Brian

Oops!!!! Can tell I'm a newbie eh! You guys are probably thinking...ho hum....been there done that.

Cheers
Lindy

mick
31-10-2004, 01:37 PM
No worries Lindy, if people didn't ask stuff the forum wouldn't be worth having.

I'm in the same thinking as APS. If I did heaps (100's of meters) of vertical edging I would get one for sure.

I dont do unit complexes etc and really would only of used a dedicated edger a few times if I had one. They would be great on old edges that haven't been done in ages but with practice and trying different methods a line trimmer can do a fine job. To me its just another expense and another machine taking up room on the ute.

I have even seen an old guy using a line trimmer with a blade on it! Just thought I'd bring that up!

APS_QLD
31-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Lindy,
If you don't ask you will never know:) :). Marjority will help with advise :)

Just watch the one with the big red thingie he calls a mower :wave-hi: he does get excited from time to time, Tip, if yeah in the SES, mums the word on that one :laughing: :laughing:. Only kidding Tony.

Brian

APS_QLD
31-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Oops!!!! Can tell I'm a newbie eh!

Just a wild guess ......... Oh and the fact you have only posted 4 times. :)

Brian

mick
31-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Tip, if yeah in the SES, mums the word on that one :laughing: :laughing:. Only kidding Tony. Brian

Yep, shhhhhhh!

Little does he know, "Reds ***!" hehe shhhhhhhhh! :laughing: :dean: :wave-hi:

Hills Lawncare Services
31-10-2004, 07:49 PM
I have an Atom and when you have thick old buffalo grass you really struggle with with your brushcutter. For edges that have been regularly done I go with the brush cutter. I kinda regret buying my Atom, from memory I spent about $600.00 and at the time I could have spent the money on more important things. I probably only use it on 1 out of every 10 jobs and even then I could probably get away with not using it. All depend on your financial situation, if you have the money go for it, but over time as you get better with using your brushcutter you could do without it.

Charbel

bradtez
31-10-2004, 07:58 PM
A builder mate has lent me his atom (2 years ago and i still have it!!) :i dunno:

In all that time i have only used it once. found it a hassle to get in and out of the vehicle. In the end though, it comes down to how anal your client is, and how steady your hand is with the brushcutter :)

Brad

APS_QLD
31-10-2004, 10:30 PM
As i said i do mine by wipper snipper. I feel this is neat enough :).

odin
01-11-2004, 09:27 AM
I use a sthil 4 mix stick edgers ......here a pic of the edger and some results on a sidewalk

APS_QLD
01-11-2004, 06:41 PM
What type of grass is that Odin? apart from thick and green :laughing:

Seems to be cut about 3" high is that how all the lawns are cut in your area?

Brian

pacific lawn mowing
01-11-2004, 07:00 PM
I use an Atom I find its great, I do a hell of lot of edging in a day and it makes life a lot easier, the only problem its a pain in the trailer getting it secured and in and out. I find it cuts better on running grass like kykuyu and buffalo. :aus-flag:

Hustler
01-11-2004, 07:07 PM
I have just purchased a atom edger and it does a better job its a ball tearer regards nev NFS MOWING Port Fairy

APS_QLD
01-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Welcome Nev, I would get a atom but i feel at this point in time i have other more important items to purchase.

Boat, motor, more fishing gear ETC ETC :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Brian

mick
01-11-2004, 10:48 PM
Welcome Nev, I would get a atom but i feel at this point in time i have other more important items to purchase.

Boat, motor, more fishing gear ETC ETC :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Brian

Yep..... A ZTR! hehe :dean:

odin
02-11-2004, 07:10 AM
What type of grass is that Odin? apart from thick and green :laughing:

Seems to be cut about 3" high is that how all the lawns are cut in your area?

Brian

g'day mate ..yup it cut at three inchs ..cool season bluegrass about 70% about 15% rye and the rest fine fescue,

In my area here in the usa we use cool season culitvars ...and cool season dont do well cut low.

Now in the american south and south west its a different ball of wax..they plant warm season ..saint augustine ..zoysia ..bermuda etc etc...and they cut those varities lower then my cool season turf.

Indyanswer
07-12-2004, 10:09 PM
ATOM EDGER HONDA MOTOR BRAND NEW
$595.00
COMMERCIAL 1800501662 ILMCA 1800501662 :ebony:

swys
08-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Does anyone use MEY edgers, that's what i use. Not sure how much they are new but they are quite expensive. Dont know how u can get away with using a whipper snipper to do edges on some manicured lawns.

pbm
08-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Years of practice is how you gat away with it.

Topcat
08-12-2004, 09:36 PM
2nd that.

That also includes lots & lots of stuff ups :laughing:

Nifty
09-12-2004, 10:21 AM
I'm with Odin. I use the Sthil Stick Edger as well. With a bit of practice on the Mother-in-laws lawn, I reckon I get a cleaner edge than with a Whipper Snipper. Takes about the same amount of time & when going through the thick stuff...much easier.