PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a new Ute today...

Alex Callaghan
02-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Ordered a brand spanking new Hilux 3.0 turbo diesel single cab chassis today...Silver, Air, power windows, Wide wheels and BF Goodrich AT's, Steel tray with cheqre plate floor and under tray tool boxes and bonnet stone chip deflector.

It'll get in on the 2nd next month.

Heeeee.......First "new" vehical I will have ever owned!!!

They gave me a $19,500 trade in on the Courier wich is more than what I paid for it so ya can't go wrong with that!
Pretty much blew me load when the salesman told me $19,500 for the Courier! Bit more hageling on the accesories and I was signed up.

Cant bloody wait till the 2nd :sad: .............It's too longa wait!!!

BTW: Did any of you plonkas back a winner today?

sharon
02-11-2004, 08:37 PM
well done on the ute :russ: :russ: did not win one cent, but it is always east to pick who will win after the race :laughing: :laughing: sharon

pbm
02-11-2004, 08:53 PM
You can't go wrong with a Hilux, I had mine from new and had 3 trouble free years with it. Nothing ever went wrong with it. Hope the VZ is as good as the Hilux, then I'll be real happy.

Moe
02-11-2004, 08:57 PM
They gave me a $19,500 trade in on the Courier wich is more than what I paid for it so ya can't go wrong with that!
Pretty much blew me load when the salesman told me $19,500 for the Courier! Bit more hageling on the accesories and I was signed up.

Betcha when you go to pick up ya new ride that salesman aint working there no more :laughing:
I guess its the used car salesmens version of completely buggering up a quote :sad:

Tonyr
02-11-2004, 09:03 PM
good on ya mate!

i had a '84 mod hilux once, was a year old when i got it or something, had a canopy and the extra cab model, bloody thing went anywhere, beat the ass of my 80 series offroad i reckon!

nice and light, bloody good utes mate, lookin' forward to the pics!!

mojo111
02-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Ya can't beat a Hilux.
Mines 24 year old and still goes hard :laughing: :laughing:

congrats Alex. good luck.

GregG
02-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Good on Alex the hilux is a good unit, but why not a Landcruiser or a Patrol. I guess it came down to $$$$$. How much was it and did ya get a price on a Cruiser or Patrol.

Also why not go for a tip tray or could they not offer it ????

Are lockers coming soon???

Have ya thought about a new chip for the engine if it will take one or an intercooler?? If ya going to do it best straight up to get full benefit rather than 2 years down the track just before ya sell it.

I had a 2.8TD GQ Patrol once from brand new I had an aftermarket Intercooler on it and it made a huge difference. Other people who drove it agreed supposedly 20% more power and torque especially low down.

If ya get the lockers don't forget the winch as they can get ya into alot of trouble.

Alex Callaghan
03-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Cheers guys.

Yeh...........the Lux is a tough Ute for sure.
Me first vehical was a 91' 2wd Hilux with 320,000kms on the clock and it was thrashed and still kept plugin on.

The first thing I'm doing when I get it is go up to ARB southside and hook up a Delux winch bar with quater panel bars and side steps, 9,500lbs low mount warn, Rancho 9000 shockies, Front and rear lockers, Safari snorkel, Bit of recovery gear, Garmin GPS and GME tx4400 UHF.

Thems the goodies that make the back bone for a solid gold 4by IMO.

Then me wish list for the future will be:

Safari intercooler
Tunit chip
3.5'' bent mandrel exust that exides right up under the tray
Long range fuel tank
Dual battery system
Light force XGD driving lights
Barret HF
and some good camping gear

Wish I could just blow the f#ck out of the mother all at once but I don't think my accountant would be happy bout that!

Patrol coil cab ST 58k drive away, LC 79 RV cab chassis (dam I like it!) 60k drive away!
The Hilux is only costing me $22068 arfter trade and it has all the modcons.
If I splurged on a LC or Pootrol I wouldn't have any money to spend on the accesories and that would be crap!!
Besides.......I really like the Lux cause I'm getting power windows and remote central locking etc but It's got a viynal floor, door moulds (rugged interior). All the other 4bys I looked at that had those "power" options had carpet and fabric door moulds etc and IMO thats $hit for work and 4bying.

mick
03-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Good sh!t mate! Cant go wrong with a Lux I reckon! I still see early 80's models around (there held together with gaffa tap, BUT there still going!)

I'm sure it will give you years of trouble free entertainment!

Now we know why you havent been here for a while.... truck hunting!

Again, congrats on the ute ya bugger!

Buy the way, did you check out the prices on the new Rodeos? Just for intrest sake! :i dunno:

bradtez
03-11-2004, 08:08 PM
well done Alex.. a good choice, i looked at that model but went for the dual cab 3.0 TDI STR nissan instead. Have to be able to put the wife the kids and the dog somewhere!! :ebony:

GregG
03-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Hey Alex why the Rancho shocks what about springs.
Tough dog would be a better shock if ya after adjustable.

On my 93 troopie I had mine spec springs which is the hardest setting and they were still comfortable as a package it was great and when i stepped into a new gq patrol the ride and handling was almost as good. it would also be cheaper than OME

sharon
03-11-2004, 08:36 PM
tunit chip that sounds like a good name for a business, or a pet :) sharon

dvmcmrhp52
04-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Apparently some blokes are making money playing lawn jockey!(MUST be using Exmark mowers!)................ :laughing:

Good for you Alex!

Alex Callaghan
06-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Mick,

I didn't look at the Rodeos.
Not enough ground clearance or wheel travel for me.

I did look at the Navaras though.
They go pretty hard and they drove nice but I prefered the Hilux.
Think Nissan wanted 36k drive away for the Navara cab chassis 3.0 TD.

Greg,

I'm getting the Rancho 9000 pro series shocks. They have a piggy back canister (remote canister) like the OME LTR's.
Can't go wrong with that capacity in a shock thats going to have a hard life.
I might look at the ToughDog 53mm Big bores but I'm pretty keen on the Ranchos.

When the time comes, I'll be taking the Lux down to Manell motors for Nick to give the susspension the treatment.
I'm arfter a bit of suspension lift too but I don't want to lose to much articulation so Nick should be able to sort me out with what he thinks will be best.
My only request is the Ranchos and a 4way steer stabilizer and I'll leave the rest in his more than capable hands.

GregG
06-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Mick,

Greg,

I'm getting the Rancho 9000 pro series shocks. They have a piggy back canister (remote canister) like the OME LTR's.
Can't go wrong with that capacity in a shock thats going to have a hard life.
I might look at the ToughDog 53mm Big bores but I'm pretty keen on the Ranchos.

When the time comes, I'll be taking the Lux down to Manell motors for Nick to give the susspension the treatment.
I'm arfter a bit of suspension lift too but I don't want to lose to much articulation so Nick should be able to sort me out with what he thinks will be best.
My only request is the Ranchos and a 4way steer stabilizer and I'll leave the rest in his more than capable hands.

I didn't know about the new Rancho's at $440 they would be about same money as OME LTR's but they are adjustable. As long as they come in the right sizes, I just looked at the Auto Alliance/Rancho site and they only quote shockies for at least a 6inch coil lift but mainly I thick it would suit a 8inch lift. I am sure that sizes for smaller lifts would be coming soon.

Nick will tell ya that the best solution is to buy a Patrol Coil Cab :laughing: :laughing:
Do ya know nick ?? He seems to have a good reputation in the industry of hard core 4WD's. I have spoken to him on a number of occasions and he seems to know whats best. Especially Lightforce lights that I used to be the rep for a while.
I guess the new Hilux will be IFS front end ???

Alex Callaghan
06-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Yeh.........Nick wont say that I reackon but he'll be thinking it, thats for sure :laughing:

Yep IFS front end.
In the "New" vehical market a ridged front end is too much money for me. I'd love to get a 79 series and to unbolt the leafs and weld hangers etc and have a 5 link coil over set up in the rear but it's just too much money for me at the moment unfortunatly but one day.............I'm only a young bloke so there's plenty of time for a complet animal in years to come!
The 79 series diff housing is beefier than the Lux and 100.
I took the liberty of checking it out when I was a the Yota dealer.
S'pose that sqaushes the ALL yota diffs are weak as pi$$ theary??
Anyway...........The housing is very different on the 79 series. More like a truck diff compared to the Lux and the 100.

From speaking to a few people I'm thinking that ARB rip the OE diff components out when they fit lockers on the new Hilux!?
Mate reackons he's got all his old bits in a box at home that ARB gave to him arfter he had the lockers fitted, so hopefuly ARB know what they're doing there and the final drive is stronger arfter the lockers are in :i dunno:

As far as the IFS front end goes, I'm partial to it's capabilitys in the bush providing lockers and a bit of lift's there!
Bloody Hummers have a 4 wheels IFS set up and they're bloody unstopable.

I'd prefer ridged front end but it's just too much money for a 79 or Trol cab chassis.
I looked at second hand but If I'm spending the type of money I am I want a warentee.

Topcat
21-11-2004, 11:19 AM
When can we get a look at your new toy

Alex Callaghan
21-11-2004, 11:25 AM
When I pick it up in 12 days :russ:

So close but yet so far!

I've been finding it hard to get to sleep latley. Sitting up thinkin bout me new Lux :)

GregG
23-11-2004, 08:50 PM
I'd love to get a 79 series and to unbolt the leafs and weld hangers etc and have a 5 link coil over set up in the rear

Yes it would be a awsome set up, especially in a Troopy for us with a family

.I'm only a young bloke so there's plenty of time for a complet animal in years to come!

Lets hope so as so many tracks are being closed off.

The 79 series diff housing is beefier than the Lux and 100.
I took the liberty of checking it out when I was a the Yota dealer.
S'pose that sqaushes the ALL yota diffs are weak as pi$$ theary??
Anyway...........The housing is very different on the 79 series. More like a truck diff compared to the Lux and the 100.
so hopefuly ARB know what they're doing there and the final drive is stronger arfter the lockers are in :i dunno:

I have not compared the 3 diffs but imagine that the 79series should be stronger to keep the commercial markey happy. ARB do make the diff stronger and won't release a new model unless it is.

As far as the IFS front end goes, I'm partial to it's capabilitys in the bush providing lockers and a bit of lift's there!
Bloody Hummers have a 4 wheels IFS set up and they're bloody unstopable.

A guy in our 4WD club once had an IFS hilux with 4 inch black diamond ?? kit and front locker ( i am not sure about rear but it may have been a lockrite or ARB I can't remember). I had a standard Patrol with OME LTR 2inch susp lift. Well my patrol easily walked up this really steep and difficult slope and he didn't even get up 1/2 way. Hummers have a beeter susp set up than hilux but I think there big plus is the large diameter tyres.

Any way it really doesn't matter what ya have it is how ya use it and that ya having fun.
Although I did enjoy beating guys who were in highly modified 4WD's when I was in my then 2inch lift patrol with no lockers.