PDA

View Full Version : Desalination Plant

Scooby Steve
31-07-2009, 11:09 PM
This one is for all the Victorian contractors.

The new desal plant thats got the go ahead will that mean an end to the current water restrictions that are now in place. Can anyone fill me in? Imagine customers being able to water there lawns again. Green lush lawns mean more dollars for us. Customers asking for fortnightly cuts again YOU little BEAUTY!

Sandgroper
31-07-2009, 11:48 PM
We have a desalination plant in my town, i think it contributes 20% of our water supplies, we still have a winter sprinkler ban but can water twice a week in summer, does not help much overall,,we need 1/2 dozen i reckon to be effective :)

Stripes
01-08-2009, 08:26 AM
After 5 and a half years of water restrictions in Sydney, they lifted ours basically to justify the desal plant. We had a bit of rain a few years back which got our dams up to around 60% and the rain since then has kept it there for a while but they still went ahead with the desal plant. Lifting the restrictions allows them to justify it.
The greenies will probably whinge about the power it uses, but if it means more work for us, its a good thing. It will also allow a lot of related industries to grow/recover such as Nursery, turf farms and irrigation contractors like I used to do will now be able to get back into irrigation systems.

Bgs
01-08-2009, 09:14 AM
This one is for all the Victorian contractors.

The new desal plant thats got the go ahead will that mean an end to the current water restrictions that are now in place. Can anyone fill me in? Imagine customers being able to water there lawns again. Green lush lawns mean more dollars for us. Customers asking for fortnightly cuts again YOU little BEAUTY!

I hope they don't get the same people to build it as they did for ours lol,

We heard all the great things that would happen with ours as well, cost 1.2 billion and its got rusting pipes, faulty valves , cracking concrete was suppose to be operational at the start of the year and has been plagued with problems and working intermittently since then.

but relax in May our state gov has started a formal investigation into the plants problems I am sure they will sort it out :rolleyes:

ian
01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
scooby don't get to excited they reckon 4-5 years before the restrictions are lifted and then the water will cost nearly double the current price and thats if it isn't like everything else this gov does and doesn't cost twice as much and take 3 times as long
1.2 billion we wish ours is now priced at 3.5 billion up $400 million since it was first mentioned

Elitemow
01-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Hey Scooby....by the time they get it finished and lift the water restrictions, water will cost soooooo much our clients wont have any money left to pay to have their lawns cut. It will be just another Govt grab for cash.....
Cheers

Scooby Steve
02-08-2009, 01:30 PM
I thought it would have been a positive for us, but now i'm not so sure. Another thing isn't it being built in a flood prone area? Don't they believe in there global warming spin (aren't the seas meant to be rising?) lol

administrator
02-08-2009, 02:36 PM
It will rain again the cycle will change and everything will be honky dorey .

Governments just like to keep the people in fear so they have control .

ian
02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
It will rain again the cycle will change and everything will be honky dorey .

Governments just like to keep the people in fear so they have control .
and we will still be paying twice as much for our water to pay for a desalination plant we don't need

Fred's mowing
08-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I actually have a costomer with their own desal plant :cool: .
See if I can get some pics.
Cheers Dean.

redbackmowing
09-08-2009, 07:38 AM
up here im brissie, our dams are over 70% total full but still can't hose our lawn. wasn't that long ago it was down to 17%. i can't see that happening again unless like the gold coast when dams overflow there allowed to water. with the govt grab for money water rates would stop a lot watering.

i think people have learnt to live without watering their lawn, washing the car weekly. it seems like 20 years since i've seen people watering their lawns on a sunday arvo. it would be great for our business if we could.