PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of a good website that has pictures of different grass types?

Moe
05-11-2004, 07:15 PM
And also weeds would be good, I really should do some research, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes down to it. :i dunno:
Even the average housewife seems to know more than me about horticulture which can be a bit embarressing sometimes when I get shown up for the fraud that I am. :o

GregG
05-11-2004, 08:07 PM
What would also be great is books on lawn care. Tech courses don't start till next year but I need to have some form of reference now. Can any of you gals and guys who have done horticultural courses recommend any text books that you used in your courses. I also am mainly interested in the lawn care side but I have already been asked about gardening and whilst I know enough to bumble around my own place its another matter when your'e charging someone.

Rod
06-11-2004, 04:43 AM
"Lawn Care for Dummies" (an American publication) cost around $35.00. Has a few gaps as it is not Australian ie: no reference to "couch."

I scan and lift sections to email to customers (to explain or justify) when trying to persuade them to let us "scarify" or fertilize etc.

I have found the Green keeper at one of the Local Bowls club to be a source of knowledge. I can ring him anytime during the day seeking advice etc. Worth building a relationship with a Green keeper as we pose no threat to their income.

Topcat
06-11-2004, 08:07 AM
And also weeds would be good, I really should do some research, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes down to it. :i dunno:
Even the average housewife seems to know more than me about horticulture which can be a bit embarressing sometimes when I get shown up for the fraud that I am. :o

Weeds,
by B.A.Auld & R.W. Medd, about $95
------------

More crop Weeds, about $55 this books a favorite, great detail.
by M.R. Moerkerk & A.G. Barnett
------------

Two priceless manuals

You can pick one up from Natural Resourses & Enviroment Information centre, they have a great range of information manuels

Tonyr
06-11-2004, 08:58 AM
maye even try the DPI, their libraries can be great.

Tafe is another, one that has a horticulture course....

as far as some smartass clients think, we are just a bunch of fraudulant lawnwhores anyway, welcome to da club! LOL!

Tell yas, this place has 45000 people....40000 of em are deciding to be fellow lawnies it seems, this week I've seem more new opperators/scrubs/retirees, grubs than in a normal month. Drive down any street you see at least 3....like bloody fleas!

I'd hate to be competing with them!

I will admit there are a lot of ride ons now in trailers cutting, scarey!

shouldn't be legally allowed to just start cutting lawns for a living or side line unless you are a registered business, otherwise the playing field ain't even....

Topcat
06-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Tony, ya orta just use that.....

Entertain all :laughing:

Promote yourself as

:) = Reliable

:) = Established for ? Years :aus-flag:

:) = Fully insured

and run with it.

no use :sad: they dissappear soon enough.

:dean: If that don't work, use a gun to cull the problem :laughing:

Tonyr
06-11-2004, 05:28 PM
mate I'm not cryin' about it, I'm just telling it how it is....sure most dissapear, I wasn't saying they are hurting me yet, just saying how many there are and how I'd hate to be directly competing against them....big difference running a business to working for beer money/pension supplement. Town lawnies will always be there because jobs are mostly cheap so they get cash and don't have to declare it, I rarely get cash, only cheques or Direct Deposits because the amounts are larger with acreage.

I wasn't asking how to promote myself, my ads are good, and yes I state I'm prompt, reliable, fully insured etc...and yes I have a uniform, sign writing, and a big ***y red lawn mower, LOL!
And my incredible charm just works a treat too! :laughing:

I don't miss too many jobs, only lose em to bloody SES ha ha ha. :dean: :laughing:

See Hervey Bay is in a boom at the moment, lots of cashed up southerners are moving up, while this is fine, a lot are obviously liking our mild temps and like cutting grass instead of finding some low paying crap job, I can't say I blame em.

When lots of people move to a town obviously a percentage will be lawnies from previous....makes sense.

All I was saying was about the numbers though, it is truly flooded, humourous actually, not crying about how they effect me...

Topcat
07-11-2004, 07:00 AM
Passion :laughing:

Your emphises was missunderstood :confused:

Big Red toy you got it under control Ahh!

Just haven a winge :laughing:

pouring down here since thursday, I haven't seen this much rain in 5 years :Rain:
I only managed to get 7 hours work done

Ben
07-11-2004, 10:56 AM
I'm much the same Topcat.... I have hundreds of dollars of work and managed only to do 2 jobs in the last 5 days. The rain has not let up.

Today is looking good though. I might get a couple done this arvo... Thank God for day light savings....

mick
07-11-2004, 05:22 PM
A good book on weed ID and treatment would be good. Maybe try ringing a Tafe and asking a teacher about the text book.

Dont know if this will help but I lifted these from somewhere.....

Moe
07-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks mick I was asking about lawn identification as a customer wants me to weed and feed her lawn, now having a look on the back of the bottle it says do not use on Buffalo, well to me the lawn looks like kikuya, its a running type of grass, I did a search on buffalo and got some pics just to be sure, wouldn't want to kill the whole lot off, bad career move at this stage of the preceedings. :sad:

Topcat
07-11-2004, 09:08 PM
I'm much the same Topcat.... I have hundreds of dollars of work and managed only to do 2 jobs in the last 5 days. The rain has not let up.

Today is looking good though. I might get a couple done this arvo... Thank God for day light savings....

:) Ben, ejnoy the rain, mate -it's been 5years since we've had this much......... :russ: :russ: :russ:

mick
07-11-2004, 09:15 PM
I dont know bugger all about Buffalo but I remember reading not to use weed and feed on it.

The only (Sir Walter??) Buffalo I've seen, seemed bluer than Kykuyu if thats any help! :(

heres a site for you to check out...
http://www.jimboombaturf.com.au/turf_varieties.htm

Stuie
07-11-2004, 09:46 PM
www.windsorturf.com.au
www.millersturf.com.au

Buffalo usually has purple on the underside if thats any help :i dunno:

GregG
08-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Thanks mick I was asking about lawn identification as a customer wants me to weed and feed her lawn, now having a look on the back of the bottle it says do not use on Buffalo, well to me the lawn looks like kikuya, its a running type of grass, I did a search on buffalo and got some pics just to be sure, wouldn't want to kill the whole lot off, bad career move at this stage of the preceedings. :sad:

I used a Selective Herbiside on my buffalo called Banvel M its made by Novartis Crop Protection at Pendle Hill NSW. You can only use it on buffalo once in every 12 months. I bought a 1 litre tin for my own place 4 years ago for $35 ?? . I strip layed my Buffalo in places and the weeds came up between, from memory this stuff did the trick. I was recently told by a local 10 year exp contractor to also try "Spear Head" we can get it from the local Elders bloke.

APS_QLD
08-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Moe if unsure take a cutting and ask a lawn place or garden shop :).

Same the guess work.

Moe
09-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys, by the looks of it the buffalo is quite different from the rest of the grass varieites in that it has broad rounded leaves which is why weed and feed that kills broad leefed weeds is a no no.
By coincidence I was mowing another customers lawn today that was buffalo and it was quite distinct and easy to identify going by some pics I looked at on the web.
Here is a picture that mick supplied showing a line up of grasses, buffalo is the fourth one along, stands out from the rest.