PDA

View Full Version : Lawn mowing What's your background?

robscl
03-06-2004, 06:11 AM
Hi All

Just wondering what sort of background a lot of you come from, I would envisage that the mowing industry brings in a lot of people from different walks of life, I'd be interested to hear where you come from and what attracted you to this industry.

I myself am the Manager of a community newspaper and have also worked as a real estate agent, I've always enjoyed gardening,being out doors and I studied Hort at tafe for 2 years and I have a dream of owning my own business and working to achieve my goals not somebody elses, also the active lifestyle as opposed to many hours p/w behind a desk has gotta be better for my health and fitness.

Hope to hear from you all

Rob :wave-hi:

robscl
03-06-2004, 06:15 AM
oops

Technical glitch. dunno how I managed to post this twice :eek:

Tonyr
03-06-2004, 07:59 AM
carpenter, crane truck driver for EPT, fruit and vege. transport Gympie to Brisbane, fork lift opperator etc. for Laminex Industries and part time farming, after 4 years went farming full time, in 2000 sold farm, had a couple of fill in jobs then decided acreage/large lawns mowing would be for me, joined indmowing, bought a 2nd hand Walker with high lift catcher, which is now for sale, bought a Toro Z355 new, after about a year found I needed side discharge and mulch capabilities, not catch, so this year I traded the Z355 and bought a '04 Toro Z588E, 60'' turbo force deck, now I'm cruisin' happily. :cool:

mick
03-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Had a few crap jobs early on. Did alot of surfin and associated bad stuff. Joined a Landscaping company as a laborer and worded my way up to foreman. Hurt my back and didnt work for about 15 kilograms. Had a kid that motivated me to do something. I didnt know much else besides L/scaping and thought mowing was the closest thing to it. Did gardening, palm cleaning, rubbish removal, garden clean ups, gutters(another story) and got real sick of it so I streamlined to just mow and go. Now just cruising doing acreage and a couple of small residentials (bread and butter).

A pic of my stuff. The trailers looking a little ordinary but I'll get a new bigger one next season................

Ebony
03-06-2004, 03:55 PM
I don't have a background lol - No past lol. Just was :)

This is a great thread. It is amazing the different walk of life people come from, this industry is lucky that way

Nice ute Mick

mick
03-06-2004, 04:43 PM
I don't have a background lol - No past lol. Just was :)
Nice ute Mick

Thats not what I heard! :eek: hehe

The ute, goes good but not 4x4. I wish it was! Heaps of power for towing but heavy on the fuel.
I like it!

Ebony
03-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Is that an old pic Mick? Reason I ask is the white catcher bag on the mower. Either that's the HRU215 or ... ??

Ebony

mick
03-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Yeah, looking at that lawn we were in drought. Probably last September or something!

Very observant "little miss"

pbm
03-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Was a postie with Australia Post. Knocked off work most days around lunch time so me and another postie decided to mow some lawns to pay the bills, his parents won the lottery so he didn't need the money but I kept going for another 9 years mowing part time. Took a redundancy package 5 years ago to mow full time.

robscl
03-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks Guys and Gals

Great to hear the diversity of people out there, am I the only corporate person here, surely I'm not the only stuffed shirt that got sick of jockying a desk :cool:

Rob

Hills Lawncare Services
06-06-2004, 12:50 AM
Rob you're not the only corporate around here. I was a team leader for an IT company. My brother was a fulltime Uni student and we came up with the idea of a mowing business. It initially started up part time. The business started taking off which gave me the confidence to tell my boss where to stick it and concentrated on the business fulltime. My brother left to canberra to further his studies and I began studying a hort certificate in landscaping. It has been the best decision of my life and cannot see myself going back to the office even after some enticing offers. Most of my work is residential, with real estates and some commercial work. While my focus has shifted towards gardening and landscaping, mowing still remains the bread and butter for me.

Charbel

odin
06-06-2004, 07:34 AM
went to work for general motors at 18 in 66 ..served 4 years in the us army 1968-72..came home went back to general motors ..lived an uninteresting life ..got into lawncare part time for years ..in 96 my brothers and i went into full time landscapeing..partnership didnt work out ..i told them to screw theirselves and started my own company .....selling out after this season sooner if i can get a buyer ..im going to move my girls and my wife to my wifes former country in sicily .
so the ole scots gonna be converted to a sicilian lol.

robscl
06-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Hi Charbel

Good to know I'm not the only one, I studied hort for 2 yrs at Padstow TAFE cert III parks and Gardens, didn't finish my last year because if you don't work in the industry you can't complete the compency components (didn't tell me that till 6 months into the course) to graduate. I will go back and finish when I go into business.

I've always wanted to do this,done it part time many years ago but was lured by better money in the coprporate world and while obviously money is still important, doing something I actually enjoy is more of a draw card for me now.

I;ll probably start out part time as well just to build up a few regulars and get myself used to physical work again, I'd definately like to be doing it full time this time next year.

Rob :wave-hi:

Viceroy
09-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Started my business YESTERDAY . After 8 years as a Sales Rep i had had ENOUGH.Driving all over Brisbane has become a real pain. Driving a maximum of 20min from home on the Northside is great.
Have always wanted to do this and now I am.

robscl
09-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Good on ya viceroy

I have'nt bit the bullet yet, I'm still organising capital and all the other stuff that comes with starting a business so it will probably be a few months before I kick off and then initially will probably part time while I build up some clientelle.

Must be exciting and I would dear say nerve wrecking your first day in your own business.

If you don;t mind me asking what sort of gear have you started with and have you gone straight in full time?

I'm about to send of an order for Dean's training manual as I've only heard good stuff about indmowing and I would imagine it will answer a lot of the questions I have about starting of the right way to give me the best chance at success.

How did you find actually making the decision to leave your secure income and to start up? Gotta say it scares the s@#t out of me but every time I think it's a stupid idea something happens to give me a sign that makes me think again, like an e-mail to tell me this forum started or a press release sent to me on honda mowers not to mention the bull**** I put up with everyday working for a big company.

I'm sure everyone here has gone through these nagging little doubts but I know if I never make the move I'll spend the rest of my life regretting it and to be honest all the people I have spoke to so far have said it was the best move they ever made so I guess I'll be joining the ranks soon enough :cheer:

Rob

Lawnman
11-06-2004, 09:56 PM
gday fellow lawnies just joined up so i thought id do some posting.
my background is ive been a lawnie for nearly 3yrs now,before that i was at a golf & bowls club combined which i was there for nearly 10yrs which in that time i did my apprentice-ship there and ran it for 4yrs before venturing out on my own.

Ebony
11-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the forum Lawnman, great to hear from you.

Hey S.P did you post in this thread. I am getting the distinct impression some posts have gone from this thread, my post from last night being one of them??

And mickhippy's post about the using a broom etc. and it taking longer to sweep the path then mow the lawn, so he bought a blower. If I cam correct we lost several posts out this thread?

Ebony

Tonyr
12-06-2004, 09:05 AM
I'm getting a similar feeling Ebony, e.g about that part list from Odin I asked you about yesterday....(not sure what thread though...)

administrator
12-06-2004, 10:03 AM
The problem has occurred, and i feel that it is unique to this thread. Unfortunately there was an error yesterday and one of the files did not close properly in the program, when they reset it, some data in this thread was lost. I have spoken to the techs relating to this forum and to the hosts, this is a very rare occurrence apparently.

Our first hiccup and now measures have now been put in place to ensure this will not effect us again.

We appologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thank-you

Ebony
12-06-2004, 12:55 PM
I was just perusing the forum, sussing things out hehe

In regard to the missing posts, Please note that it did not effect your post count. For example my post count is 83 yet there are only 80 posts made by me in the search. (wow i didn't realise I talked that much :o )

Grillonz, would you possibly be able to post a picture of your mower again.

Ebony

Tonyr
12-06-2004, 12:58 PM
S'Ok Ebony, we all knew you talked that much...and more! LOL! :laughing:

S.P
12-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Hi indi_gal,

Yes I did post on this topic the other night. No problem, I'll post again all about my business/background again.

Pres Lawn
18-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Well might as well put my bit in, worked in the horse racing industry for 6 years and then got sick of the early mornings so I started mowing lawns part time on weekends and then full time with in 6 months. And that was back in 1983 ! :cool:

Brad Hay
30-06-2004, 04:59 PM
G'Day All ,
I have mentioned this on another thread but this on seems more appropriate . I was a Chef for 16 years ...........
4 Years Windsor Hotel Melbourne
2 Years Glencoe Restaurant
3 Years Croydon Golf Club ( leased the kitchen )
1 Year Marylands Country House Marysville
Blackburn Hotel
Delganeys Portsea
Novatel Bayside St Kilda
Carlton Hotel Albury N.S.W.
Albion Hotel Cottesloe W.A.
Napolians Cafe Cottesloe W.A.
Kitchen Express Swanbourne W.A.

A total of over 30 Kitchens when you take into account casual stuff and helping people out .
After all this experience ; One hour of running through the lawnmowing gear and I was ready to make more money per hour..........Not fair really........DON'T GET ME STARTED !
I loved Cooking but after 90 hours ( per week ) slaving over a hot stove , there is not much time for a life .
Happier and healthier after mowing for 3.5 years .

BRAD HAY

Rod
05-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Thought I throw my pedigree into the flow of things,

Law degree Melbourne Uni 1982 (Vict) (got real ****ty thought most Solicitors/lawyers should do time (watch changing lanes!!!)

Marketing Degree Southern Cross Uni 1995 (NSW) got bored wanted some action.

Bought a McDonald's Franchise and got screwed big time (Class action still pending)

Now I mow grass, fill up dog's water bowls and dream of living on a 50' yacht in the Whitsundays. And of course mowing lawns in Shute Harbour.

Now, "How do I satisfy a woman (apart from a Amex/Visa card.)

Got sick of corporate life wanted stake my claim in the "Day to Day" life and now I am cruising (on land anyway.)

Tonyr
05-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Wow guys!

Congratulations on achieving so much in your lives so far, very dedicated!

Gee by all of these great reports it is clear, I'm officially the dumb ass here, oh well, least folks don't expect much from me LOL!
(J/K)

Least I got a Chick Magnet Toro! nah nah!

pbm
05-07-2004, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE=Rod]Thought I throw my pedigree into the flow of things,

Law degree Melbourne Uni 1982 (Vict) (got real ****ty thought most Solicitors/lawyers should do time (watch changing lanes!!!)

Marketing Degree Southern Cross Uni 1995 (NSW) got bored wanted some action.

Bought a McDonald's Franchise and got screwed big time (Class action still pending)

Now I mow grass, fill up dog's water bowls and dream of living on a 50' yacht in the Whitsundays. And of course mowing lawns in Shute Harbour.

Now, "How do I satisfy a woman (apart from a Amex/Visa card.)

Got sick of corporate life wanted stake my claim in the "Day to Day" life and now I am cruising (on land anyway

Rod
You win the prize for being the most over qualified lawn mowing bloke here so far!!!!
Anyone able to beat that????

mick
08-07-2004, 06:16 PM
The problem has occurred, and i feel that it is unique to this thread. Unfortunately there was an error yesterday and one of the files did not close properly in the program, when they reset it, some data in this thread was lost. I have spoken to the techs relating to this forum and to the hosts, this is a very rare occurrence apparently.

Our first hiccup and now measures have now been put in place to ensure this will not effect us again.

We appologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thank-you

Glad its fixed or I might never of got back! hehe

Gee's go away for a couple of weeks and it all falls apart! :i dunno:

Ebony
08-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Great to see you Mick, Hope you had a good holiday! :russ:

Would say I missed you, but that just wouldn't suit my new avator lol

Ebony

mick
08-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Would say I missed you, but that just wouldn't suit my new avator lol

Ebony

Thanks Eb, now I feel all warm inside!

Tonyr
08-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Glad to have ya back shagger!

Where you been man!??

Easycareacres
08-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Mic when did they let you out.

mick
08-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Nice to be missed I gotta say! :rolleyes:

I may as well just tell ya's all instead of writting it ova and ova!

My family and I went on a little holiday to Maui, Las Vega$$$, LA and Honolulu.
Heres a bit of stuff about it.........

Maui..... Cant really remember what I did there! :i dunno: I know I got drunk early on. Layed by the small pool and generally took it very easy. Our hotel looked over the,(cough) beach and we had a good view of an island called Lanai. Nice spot really. Reminded me of Bali without the hawkers. Best sunset I've ever seen(got a pic or 2 of that) The lawn at the hotel looked like Kykuyu but different some how. Other lawns around the place looked like a really fine couch, I had to touch it to make sure it was real, reminded me of moss! Almost forgot, went in a submarine!

Vegas.... I got drunk a couple of times, played some Black Jack and some other game I call the Chocolate Wheel,(free drinks if you tip the "Cocktail waitress") Layed by the big pool heaps, went on some scary as sh1t rides, saw heaps of really hot chicks, saw a really big hole in the ground that in 1 part was blocked by a really big dam that made a really big lake. Stayed in a big hotel that was shaped like a pyramid. Met Elvis too, it could of been his inbread cousin though!

LA..... Stayed on Venice beach the first night. Venice beach is somewhat like Byron Bay with all the freaks and cool clothes etc. Saw a basket ball game played by some tall backs. Some very hot girls there! Pretty grungy place really. Moved up the road to Santa Monica, ok spot with its big peir with various rides like roller coaster on it. Got very crowded and the beach, while big had rubbish on it, was coarser than ours and the water was freezing and didnt look very inviting. The hotel we stayed in was full of snobs but we had a very nice room which looked over the beach. Went on a tour in a big red Caddy, saw where... Marilyn Monroe died, Ossy, Brad Pitt, Goldie Horne, Tori Spelling's(90210) dad and a few more personallity's live. Saw the big HOLLYWOOD sign.

Honolulu..... I'd hit my head getting into a cab on the way to the airport and had half a Valium, to make me feel better, on the plane I drank all the way to Honolulu and was pretty smashed by the time we arrived. Dropped my case in the room and went straight to the pool bar where I met some guy who'd just turned 21 so being an Aussie I got him drunk playing pool, beside the pool. Then went into the beach bar where there was a band playing. Stayed there till stumps and I couldnt remember where my room was. Had to get security to help! Spent alot of time swimming and just taking it easy really. I cant really remember much of what we did. We were there for the 4th of July fire works which were very good, probably the best Ive seen for real. They even had some that made a smiley face :) Amazing!

I'm sure more will come to me, only been home 30 hrs.
Came home to my dog that was in a kennel and hated my guts. I thought he was going to go me, the prick! Also, energex had cut some trees on my yard(thats ok, now we have a better view) my missesus sister had moved away with her daughter with a bloke she'd only know a month or 2. Also my missesus parents are selling up and moving near to the above sister. Sh1t, we were only gone a bit more than 3 weeks!

Ill try and get some pics up soon, theres about 400 of them!
When it comes down to it, I've seen a few places and nowhere is better than where I live. Glad to be home! :aus-flag:

Tonyr
08-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks Mick, appreciate the report!

Wow, hard to imagine you were so far away, bloody hell.

fatherest I've been over seas is Fraser Island, and haven't been south of the gold coast...sh.it, I really need to get a life!

good on ya mate!

mick
08-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Tony, I didnt see anything that was near as good as we have here if you know what I mean. I mean it! Maybe there were more hot chicks but when ya married, hmmmmmm!

mick
09-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Ok, pics are downloaded but theres 433 or so of them and I wont bore you lot with all of 'em. :) I'll try and put some into collage's to save space and make it easier for everyone and I'll try and not have a slide show that our grand parents used to have. hehe

I'll put 'em in the pics thread if you'd like to see some. I'll answer any questions as best I can.

Happy viewing!:eyes:

Tonyr
09-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks Mick,

was wandering...how does the summer climate compare at the places you were at to our Qld summers?

are they hotter, dryer, more humid etc?

Gotta ask on Russells behalf...did you see any Toro's grazing?? ha, ha.

I heard they use those orange mowers caller dags or something as boat anchors over there, any truth to this? LOL

mick
09-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Tony, the only hot place was Vega$$$. I think it was about 41deg or so but it was a very very dry heat! Lips and feet cracked badly. Hawaii was around 28 and perfect humidity. No problem although I went through the deoderant pretty quickly. Pooo! hehe

I looked for mower guys but didnt see any. I mean NONE! Damit. I did see a shop though and I think they carried Huskies. Could of been Scrags! opps I mean Scags! Sorry Russ.

Ebony
09-07-2004, 10:02 AM
haha, looking for mower guys on your holidays lol Love It, Typical too hehe

Tonyr
09-07-2004, 10:09 AM
LOL Scrags, love it!

Scrags...Scags....dags (hang off sheeps bum)....then somewhere in this gag I wanted to put Russ, now where would a kiwi, ie flightless chook fit....I reckon ole mate sees sheep when he looks at his daggy, scraggy, scags....i should give him a break, but a kiwi wearing rubber boots on a scragy scag cracks me up lol! Very suggestive! LOL!

Sorry Russ, couldn't resist!

mick
09-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Why did the Kiwi cross the road?
He couldnt get his shlong out of the sheep in time!

oops! ;frosty;

Ebony
09-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Hello valued forum participants :wave-hi: can we take it to off topic perhaps. Would hate the great info in this thread to get lost with all the very funny jokes :)

mick
09-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Probably a good idea Eb. Or you could just take off anything you think might be pushing it! Not mine of course! hehe

Easycareacres
09-07-2004, 05:55 PM
yeah you tell em Eb lol. Nothing wrong with a bita fluff. Hope that guy found his thong, I lost my watch there.

bradtez
01-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Not sure whether to add to the original thread subject or to tell a joke!!

Left school and did a Marine Engineers degree. Then joined RAAF as Aeornautical engineer, got sick of wearing blue everyday (now i wear khakai). Was a Electrical Systems Project Manager for a defence aerospace company...too many hours and not enough $$$. So now i mow lawns, play on my Dingo and get a nice tan :)

Now for the joke:

What happens when you predict snow but don't get any....
True story...the station had a female news anchor who, the day after it was supposed to have snowed and didn't, turned to the weatherman and asked "So Bob, where's that 8 inches you promised me last night?"
Not only did HE have to leave the set, but half the crew did too they were laughing so hard!

Brad

APS_QLD
02-08-2004, 04:36 PM
I am a carpenter spent to many years renovating bathrooms and kinda got sick of it. In fact had been looking at doing something else in my spare time when a quote went bad. I was 5 minutes late to a quote and the bloke abused the ****ter out of me in no uncertain term.

Once he had finished i just smiled and said thanks for making up my mind and you can get someone else who is interested in working for a dead **** and walked off. Packed up the tools at home and thats about where they have stayed. Mow lawns now to be honest less hussles.

Brian

Steve Ladlow
02-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Nothing so glamous
Printing industry mainly
a bit of cheffing thrown in for a change only lasted 12 mths tho
move to brissy march last year as a sales rep ha f***n ha so after mowing for another contractor in sydney 15 yrs ago i thought id give it a go up here. no mexican jokes please.

Also played bass guitar in rock/country bands for years :russ:

mick
02-08-2004, 06:37 PM
move to brissy march last year as a sales rep ha f***n ha so after mowing for another contractor in sydney 15 yrs ago i thought id give it a go up here. no mexican jokes please.

Also played bass guitar in rock/country bands for years :russ:

Another bloody tourist! hehe ;frosty;

We should start an "Indi Band" :russ: I've got the acoustic!:russ: And Russ on lead! Eb can be the groupie!

dvmcmrhp52
04-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Background..............
Machinist
Tool and die maker
Mold maker
manufacturing engineer
lead toolmaker
Tooling shop supervisor
engineering lab technician
AND......................

LAWN JOCKEY!

Yup, tired of the politics of corporate america after 24 years.

mojo111
04-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Sheetmetal fabricator NZ.15 years.
fabricator/welder OZ briz vages self employed 3 years.
Taxi driver briz vages 4 years.
Trailer fabrication Glass house mt Sunshine Coast 6 months.
Of road camper fabrication forman Maroochydore 3 months.
Dam place whent bottom up :( on the dole 2 years, got sick of that :mad: then started cuting grass part time 1 year. Now full time grass
cuting 3 years and love it. :laughing: wish it would :Rain: but.

Phill pritchard mowing. ;)

mick
04-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Background..............
Machinist
Tool and die maker
Mold maker
manufacturing engineer
lead toolmaker
Tooling shop supervisor

LAWN JOCKEY!

So you like playin with your tool then! hmmmm :wave-hi: hehe

Well, someone was going to say it!

matder
04-08-2004, 08:47 PM
interesting back grounds .myself brought up on the land kicked sheep and cattle around drove dozers and broadacre tractors, shore sheep worked as a greese monkey started mowing 6 yrs ago lov it hate people on the wrong side of 35 wished i got off the land earlier had fun though MATT

Tonyr
04-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Background..............
Machinist
Tool and die maker
Mold maker
manufacturing engineer
lead toolmaker
Tooling shop supervisor

LAWN JOCKEY!

=====

LOL, Yeah I guess you would need those shills to keep Exmarks running! ha, ha. (you knew I would say that!)

dvmcmrhp52
05-08-2004, 08:22 AM
So you like playin with your tool then! hmmmm :wave-hi: hehe

Well, someone was going to say it!

Nah, I have an assistant for that!

HaHa...........................

dvmcmrhp52
05-08-2004, 08:26 AM
=====

LOL, Yeah I guess you would need those shills to keep Exmarks running! ha, ha. (you knew I would say that!)

Hmmmmm,
Seems to me you Aussie boys are the one's needing these skills
What with all the sheep chasing going on it sounds like you have no dealers interested in repairing a mower rather they'd be repairing
Baaa Baaa's entrance ramp...................................

Now, Now, That's a bit harsh I suppose....................Well maybe not.................................LOL!

:who-knows
:laughing:

mick
05-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Nah, I have an assistant for that!

HaHa...........................

How much does he charge buddy! Your a sicko! hehe :i dunno:

dvmcmrhp52
06-08-2004, 08:00 AM
How much does he charge buddy! Your a sicko! hehe :i dunno:

You mean how much does "SHE" charge?

HaHa............It's free, It's part of the for better or worse deal.........................LOL!

Vegiehead
22-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Hay im new here and i saw this thread so i thought id start here :)

Ok ive done 12 yrs in IT from desktop support to global network engineer and ended up an instructor top 10% in country.

Walked away from it all after the stress almost killed me. :frightene

Since then i've Driven trucks, Laboured for builders, and sold my art work.

Im looking at getting into lawn mowing to put food on the table.

Glad to meet you all

odin
22-08-2004, 12:17 PM
vegiehead

GOOD Luck mate ..a lot of fine people on this forum ,tony ,ebony mick alex all great folks they will help you all they can...your in first class company here ......excludeing scottish american's lol

mojo111
22-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Hay im new here and i saw this thread so i thought id start here :)

Ok ive done 12 yrs in IT from desktop support to global network engineer and ended up an instructor top 10% in country.

Walked away from it all after the stress almost killed me. :frightene

Since then i've Driven trucks, Laboured for builders, and sold my art work.

Im looking at getting into lawn mowing to put food on the table.

Glad to meet you all

HI vegiehead welcome aboard :wave-hi: funny things happen here sometimes its all a good :laughing: and u will learn alot------------- or a little doesn't mater its all good fun cheers! enjoy :laughing: :laughing: