PDA

View Full Version : selective herbicide question

GreenHaven
14-08-2009, 06:14 PM
hey all,
i just picked up some crab grass and clover killer from david grays wholesaler ive used this chemical befor with good success the active ingredent is 74g/L DSMA and 24g/L MCPA ive used it befor on couch at 90ml to a liter and ive also used it befor on sirwalter at the same rate even though it says to half it but i found it didnt kill the weeds effectivly at the half rate and it didnt really damage the turf i only ever spot spray though. my question is is there any turf varities that it will hit back hard? ive got a few customers that im going to spraying for the bindi and such when the weather permits and a few of them have a different varity of couch than the common one but im not sure what its called its like a soft leaf couch :i dunno: also whats everyone charging for weed spraying now? thanks alot everyone

DavidS
14-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Don't use it on Qld Blue Couch, only spot spray, Buffaloes and Kikuyu. I would be very careful on Palmetto Buffalo, would find a area where it is not seen and test spot spray and come back in a couple weeks and see what effect it had. Palmetto does not like many herbicides.
I charge my hourly rate plus chemical price. If it only takes me half hour I still charge a hour.
Chemical price is marked up at 150% if I buy bulk from Globe or Maxwell & Kemp. If I buy from other supplier, I mark it up 100%

GreenHaven
14-08-2009, 07:48 PM
yeh i know that the palmetto buffalo is a pretty weak turf never spray on it befor my brothers got it at his place as its a new development and he had to have it haha pretty lame but yeh the lable says not on qld blue couch im in perth so i dunno if that around here the only turfs i know are couch kikuyu buffaloe and the soft leaf buffaloes sir walter and palmetto but this couch at some of my clients places i dont know the name of it does anyone know of any sites that have pics and stuff? also anyone know good weed id books i figure if the health department is gonna slug 280 a year to register my buisness for the licence i might start advertising more for turf weed spraying and the like

DavidS
14-08-2009, 09:01 PM
It could be a a couch called Tif Sport, very soft and lots of it in a small area, or one of the other hybrid couches. As long as it is not salt water couch, you will be right with your chemical. If salt water couch it is actually a Paspalum and your chemical will kill it.
I suggest if you don't know what couch it is, mix up a small amount of chemical and spray a spot in a out of normal sight area and check it out in 2 weeks time. If the grass does not look like it is dying, continue on with spraying. Check out some of the Turf Farm sites.
There so many couch hybrids, Wintergreen Greenlees Park, Ledgend, Tif Sport, Tif way, Tif Dwarf, Tif Eagle

DavidS
14-08-2009, 09:03 PM
NSW M Collins & Sons, Millers Turf, Tarcoola Turf
VIC Lilydale Instant lawn, StrathAyr
QLD Jimboomba Turf, Turfgrass Qld, Twin View Turf.

Don't have one for WA sorry

GreenHaven
15-08-2009, 03:45 PM
thanks davids the turf has been sprayed befor for bindi but not by me last season i just need to figure out which turf is which and i should be sweet