PDA

View Full Version : Whats Best, Slasher, ZTR or 4WD Lawn Tracto?

GregG
17-11-2004, 10:04 PM
On my other thread I discussed my mechanical problems, now I am looking the best way to do things.

As I have said I have replaced most major drive and cutting mechanical bits so I will probably keep the 52inch Scag and convert to full mulching.

For a machine to do the large rough areas I have 3 possibilities

1. ZTR
Fast can slash at 6inch and still give a good cut. But it has low ground clearance and may get hung up or dropp a wheel into a hole and be hung up. Also can get hung up on rear overhang of motor. Very manouverable. Fastest and best cut in open going

2. Slasher on a 4WD tractor

Better in rough ground due to clearance and 4WD also faster than ZTR over rough ground 15kph (says salesman) more versatile with attachments especially front end loader and backhoe plus may be other uses. Not as manouverable as ZTR.
Would a front end loader be useful ??
Will it be too heavy for using loader for spreading top soil on lawns?? 800kg with no implements??
A 20 or 24 hp John Deere tractor is $24k plus attachments ??

3. 4WD Lawn Tractor
4wd ability, same ground clearance of ZTR ??? get hung up on mid mount deck , could attach a blade to some for spreading of top soil etc. , slower than ZTR in overall speed but equal in ability of deck to cut as essentially same technology. Not as manouverable as ZTR.
Price not sure but a Kubota 18hp diesel 48inch deck is $11,300 but I would want I guess 60 inch with a huge motor don't know if possible.

THe ZTR is best for all cutting as long as know you look out for it limitations in rough ground ( I also have a Patrol with twin diff locks, 30m winch cable and 90-100m of winch/snatch straps to extracate meself). Its just that I am concerned of rough ground not thick grass as with a big mower and a 29hp or prefer 31-35hp on a 60 inch deck its no worries.

Its just a wild idea I may be getting worried about nothing. Any ideas guys and gals :i dunno: :i dunno: :i dunno:

mick
21-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Like I said in another thread, check out the 4wd tractors that you can have a belly mower and a slasher on (at the same time). The business across the road from me has a ... probably 50hp JD and has the belly deck, slasher and FEL.

Maneuverability wouldn't be very important in open areas IMO and you may only loose a couple of seconds going around a tree or what ever anyway. I wouldnt worry about it much! Different on a small acreage though.

I'm sure there are other tractor "brands" out there there than JD. Check out some Kubotas for instance.
I would get up over 40hp though!

GregG
23-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks Mick

I will have to research for with dealers to get ideas on different slashers etc. what is interesting is the finishing mower attachments as to wheteher you have a normal slasher and then a finisher as well. The development that I am doing now is pretty smooth with some rough bits around edges and where the subdivision "depot" was. So a 72in ZTR would be great ( or a tractor with a finishing mower attachment), but the one that I am quoting on is a lot rougher with rubbish in the long grass, so a slasher would be better on it.

The big issue with a tractor slasher is weight and size, it almost means needing a truck to tow with or a Ford F250 7.3l V8 turbo diesel.

I am not sure about a belly mower on a tractor due to getting caught up on ya belly, unless ya can lift it up real high.

mick
23-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Greg, your right about the weight of tractors and I have no idea what they'd weigh or what you'd need to cart them around. Something you'll have to look into. I do see a guy with a pretty big tractor/slasher that he just puts on a trailer and tows around with an older Nissan Patrol. :i dunno:

That JD over the road I told you about, the belly "finish" deck is a quick attach commercial type. Can be put on or taken off in just a few minutes, so you would only put it on when needed!

Tonyr
24-11-2004, 07:27 AM
My mate with the 60hp Ford tractor/slasher tows it everywhere on a tri axel car trailer behind an old Nissan ute converted with a lazy axel. He is able to travel to developers projects everywhere fast, whereas the big tractors have to drive....and driving tractors on roads wears em out fast....

I've been away from tractors too long to remember specs, can't even remember what mine weighed, sorry.

Just thought of the solution!!!!!

I saw one on display in Gympie recently, the brand is MCCORMICK (probably spelt that wrong!) ya know, international, case etc...
they have this 'thing' you can tow or push a slasher or finish deck, centre console revolves, is 4x 4, go anywhere machine!

I want one, but handbrake says no!

Website is: www.mccormick-intl.com

Models to look at are G25 and G30R

push pull cut decks, put on a side cut boom, forklift, rotary hoe, dethatcher....

These things are the ducks nutz and I'm really impressed with the idea! Use ya normal ZTR trailer, same price as ZTR, go anywhere, weird thing, but if I had the work you are talking about I'd check them out, but ya can't compare speed cutting on rough stuff to a tractor though, they are built for it.

Anyway, check them out....pretty cool toy!

mick
24-11-2004, 06:05 PM
The boys were working on a cause way this arvo and had there JD out. Heres a pic of it anyway. As you can see it has the belly mower but they also have a 6' slasher on the back sometimes!

Alex Callaghan
25-11-2004, 08:03 PM
If ya want the BEST ZTR on the market ya can't go pat the Danes mate (heheheeeee)

Forget Toro, Scag, JD and the rest if ya want the best :laughing:

Alex Callaghan
25-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Yellows the only color that cuts it!

mick
26-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Mate................ I see a pic of the ity bity daffodil lookin thing but wheres ya big one?

By the way, is that one of your gardens behind the daffodil? If it is... wheres the round up!

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :i dunno:

I've had a big day, and had just couple a bourb's this arv! haaaaaaaaaaaa :wave-hi: :p

Alex Callaghan
26-11-2004, 08:11 PM
The first pics of the biggin ya plonka!!

See the canister filter and it aint as dirty, discharge chutes been removed etc?!

Here's anouther pic for ya.

Yeh mate...........I've been on the pi$$ since 3.
Haaa....Cheers :russ:

mick
26-11-2004, 08:23 PM
What.......! Is that it? Disappointing! :p Looks too clean or something! Does it actually do any work? :i dunno: :wave-hi:
Action pics needed for proof! hehe ;frosty;

Have you had any hits on ya house yet mate? My inlaws are trying to sell there joint and had to drop the price from 650 to 599 in the last month. Also heard of others having trouble selling up!
Hope your doing better!

Alex Callaghan
26-11-2004, 08:36 PM
What ya mean is that it ya d!ck ;frosty;

Get gone ya whacka!! hehe

Re: The house.............I dunno if I want to sell it now!
Market is in a bit of a slump and It could be financial suicide :frightene
Almost like I can't really afford to sell at the moment with the way the market is and the amount of work I've put into the house!

Dunno what I'm guuna do :abcfra:

mick
26-11-2004, 08:52 PM
What ya mean is that it ya d!ck

LOL....................... Yes! :o haaaa :rolleyes: its also about this big... :i dunno:

Good come back I gotta say mate! LOL :laughing:

So what you gonna do about the job etc! A dilemma for sure!

Alex Callaghan
27-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Mick, the frame it's self on the 61'' Chariot is only a little bit bigger than the 52'' machine.
Big differences are it's got a 61''er, 27 Kohler EFI, Suspension seat and canister filter.................Ya d!ck heeeeeeee.

GregG
30-11-2004, 02:59 PM
The boys were working on a cause way this arvo and had there JD out. Heres a pic of it anyway. As you can see it has the belly mower but they also have a 6' slasher on the back sometimes!
Thanks Mick I got a quote on a JD tractor as below:

A] One (1) New John Deere 4115 4wd Compact Tractor with
$ 23,545.00

* 24 Hp Diesel Engine
* Twin Touch Hydrostatic Transmission
* Auto Bleed Fuel System
* Direct Injection
* AG tyres
* Power steering
* Dual SCV's
* Mid Mount PTO
* Fold Down ROPS
[B] One (1) New John Deere 410 Loader with:
$ 6,250.00
* Ballast Box
* Parking Stands & Hood Guard
* 1250mm bucket
[C] One (1) New Canopy
$ 700.00
[D] One (1) New Agrifarm AES 120 4ft Slasher (with chains)
$ 2,600.00

Total Amount $ 33,095.00

AND

[A] One (1) New John Deere 790 4wd Compact Tractor with
$ 21,200.00

* 27 Hp Diesel Engine
* 8/F -2/R H/L Manual Transmission
* Auto Bleed Fuel System
* Direct Injection
* AG tyres
* Power steering
* Dual SCV's
* ROPS
[B] One (1) New John Deere 419 Loader with:
$ 6,250.00
* Ballast Box
* Parking Stands & Hood Guard
* 1250mm bucket

[C] One (1) New Canopy $ 700.00

[D] One New Agrifarm 4ft AES 120 Slasher$ 2,600.00

Total Amount $ 30,750.00

The only problem is a 4 foot slasher I may be able to go to 4foot 6 inch as it is min 25hp.
But I need to go to the auctions as a local council had 8 fords go for around $19k each.

ryancronin
30-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Hi Greg Have a look a this site www.nswmowers.com.au/products.htm and then go the the tractor section

Alex Callaghan
30-11-2004, 03:17 PM
I don't know a hell of a lot about 4be tractors but 25 or even 27HP seems pretty underpowered!

40Hp or so would be what I'd imagine to be good HP for a 4x4 tractor that you'd want to run a slasher or a bucket off

JD's are expencive too.
I'd be getting a qoute from a Kubota dealer aswell.

mick
30-11-2004, 07:39 PM
I'm not saying go for JD. Have a look around at as many brands as you can and get some prices.

For slashing I'd think you'd want to get up at least 40hp to run a 6' slasher. (I'm no expert on tractors though)

My little JD is a 24hp and no way would I want to run a slasher off it.

Heres a site for you to do some recearch...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php/Cat/0/C/3

Grillonz
30-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Just a small point:
A high body slasher uses less horsepower. Work on the idea of getting the slasher to cut grass not stir whats already cut.
I've seen a six foot slasher runing on a 28hp Iseki.
Happy mowing
James

GregG
30-11-2004, 08:56 PM
My mate with the 60hp Ford tractor/slasher tows it everywhere on a tri axel car trailer behind an old Nissan ute converted with a lazy axel.
Just thought of the solution!!!!!

I saw one on display in Gympie recently, the brand is MCCORMICK (probably spelt that wrong!) ya know, international, case etc...
they have this 'thing' you can tow or push a slasher or finish deck, centre console revolves, is 4x 4, go anywhere machine!

Models to look at are G25 and G30R

push pull cut decks, put on a side cut boom, forklift, rotary hoe, dethatcher....

These things are the ducks nutz and I'm really impressed with the idea! Use ya normal ZTR trailer, same price as ZTR, go anywhere, weird thing, but if I had the work you are talking about I'd check them out, but ya can't compare speed cutting on rough stuff to a tractor though, they are built for it.

Anyway, check them out....pretty cool toy!

Sounds good if an old Nissan (I guess MQ or older) can pull it.

I have had a look at the McCormick site and does not give much info that easily desribes features and attachments. I have emailed Australian Distributor for contact on local dealeer but nothing back yet. Best to see in the metal eh!!
It only has an 11 litre tank or 14 or 17 on one model me scag has 40 litres.

GregG
30-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Hi Greg Have a look a this site www.nswmowers.com.au/products.htm and then go the the tractor section

That is some good prices there and brand new too.
I wonder if the dry mass is in pounds or kilograms, it european so I guess kilograms which makes the 40hp at 1740kg plus fuel and trailer is over 2 tonne to tow, it's getting heavy!!

GregG
30-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Just a small point:
A high body slasher uses less horsepower. Work on the idea of getting the slasher to cut grass not stir whats already cut.
I've seen a six foot slasher runing on a 28hp Iseki.
Happy mowing
James

Was the Iseki happy?? do you mean a slasher deck off the front ??

What is a high body slasher??

GregG
30-11-2004, 09:37 PM
I'm not saying go for JD. Have a look around at as many brands as you can and get some prices.

For slashing I'd think you'd want to get up at least 40hp to run a 6' slasher. (I'm no expert on tractors though)

My little JD is a 24hp and no way would I want to run a slasher off it.

Heres a site for you to do some recearch...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php/Cat/0/C/3

That is a great site thanks mick

mick
30-11-2004, 10:41 PM
No worries! It will all either help or confuse! :i dunno:

Grillonz
01-12-2004, 05:16 PM
GregG: The Iseki ran quite happily.
A high body slasher is one that has plenty of space between the ground & the top plate. Quite a few slashers arn't much deeper in the deck than a ride-on.
I've attached an example of a low body slasher:
Happy Mowing
James