PDA

View Full Version : Cutting height for types of lawn

APS_QLD
20-11-2004, 11:14 PM
I have a job which has sir walter and i have to cut it but what height is best.

I would assume 25 - 50 mm and they want it cut every week. I have also to spray for lawn grub what can i use on this grass and not effect dogs?

Brian

Alex Callaghan
21-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Cutting Walter at 2'-3' this time of year is good.
Makes it look very lush!

Baythroid Turf (not cheap but the best IMO) will sort out the grubs but I'm sure there will be a withholding period on any product you use that'll be effective.
Best thing to do would be to ring the Bayer customer service # Re: the dogs.

administrator
09-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Cutting height for types of lawn

Green couch (Cynodon dactylon) 15-30 (mm)

Buffalo grass (Stenotaphrum secundatum) 30-50 (mm)

Kikuyu (Pennisetum clandestinum) 30-50 (mm)

Japanese lawn grass (Zoysia japonica) 15-30 (mm)

Manila grass (Zoysia matrella) 10-20 (mm)

Seashore paspalum (Paspalum vaginatum) 15-30 (mm)

Sweet smother (Dactyloctenium australe) 30-50 (mm)

Queensland blue couch (Digitaria didactyla) 15-30 (mm)

Broadleaf carpet grass (Axonopus compressus) 30-50 (mm)

Andy B
09-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Cutting height for types of lawn

Green couch (Cynodon dactylon) 15-30 (mm)

Buffalo grass (Stenotaphrum secundatum) 30-50 (mm)

Kikuyu (Pennisetum clandestinum) 30-50 (mm)

Japanese lawn grass (Zoysia japonica) 15-30 (mm)

Manila grass (Zoysia matrella) 10-20 (mm)

Seashore paspalum (Paspalum vaginatum) 15-30 (mm)

Sweet smother (Dactyloctenium australe) 30-50 (mm)

Queensland blue couch (Digitaria didactyla) 15-30 (mm)

Broadleaf carpet grass (Axonopus compressus) 30-50 (mm)

Nice one, thank you! Now what notch is that? :laughing:

Gotta love the customer who say "mow it on four" or "mow it on six, we like it mowed on six."

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
09-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Gotta love the customer who say "mow it on four" or "mow it on six, we like it mowed on six."

I leave mine on the fifth notch except for one customer he likes it on 8 but i have noticed on 5 it kills the couch and the buffalo takes over which i think is a good thing.

Fred's mowing
09-04-2010, 06:41 PM

Which mower?????????? ;frosty; .
Cheers Dean.

ian
09-04-2010, 08:16 PM

honda's 1st notch is 16mm[ minimum according to manual] then add 6mm per notch so that notch 11 = 76 mm [maximum according to manual]so a 4 is 16 + 18 =34mm and a 6 is 16+30=46mm
edit:this is for the 195/196/197

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
09-04-2010, 08:18 PM
honda's 1st notch is 16mm[ minimum according to manual] then add 6mm per notch so that notch 11 = 76 mm [maximum according to manual]

is that for the 216. if so and your correct that makes mine cutting at 40 mil

geoff1969
09-04-2010, 08:23 PM
easy to mesure the cutting height place mower on flat work bench put it on lowest height and open the rear flap and measure from flat work bench to blade face then do the same for next notch if first notch is 15 mm and second is 21mm = each notch is 6mm increasment from first

ian
09-04-2010, 08:25 PM
the 216 also has specifications of minimum 16 mm & maximum of 76 mm so this should apply to it as well
but wear and tear will change these min&max heights ie:as the wheels wear they will mow slightly lower also as parts wear i believe the heights tend to drop i have always found the new mowers to mow slightly higher on the same notch as the older ones

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
10-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I have a pita that no matter what I tell them keep getting me out to mow their kik lawn every 4 to 5 weeks. Started on a no 5 and goes up a notch each time I'm there. Just mowed their jungle again 2 days ago on the last notch. Now they have gone on holiday. Hope they don't spend all their money because the next lawnie who mows their place will probably charge for an overgrown lawn.... It wont be me :laughing:

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
10-04-2010, 06:32 PM
I have a pita that no matter what I tell them keep getting me out to mow their kik lawn every 4 to 5 weeks. Started on a no 5 and goes up a notch each time I'm there. Just mowed their jungle again 2 days ago on the last notch. Now they have gone on holiday. Hope they don't spend all their money because the next lawnie who mows their place will probably charge for an overgrown lawn.... It wont be me :laughing:

I have a couple of people who randomly call me one called this morning been 7 weeks. But if there not mowing in between mate i would be saying this is gonna cost you and if they dont like it find some other sucker. I say to people every time you hear my machines stall your price goes up.

Andy B
10-04-2010, 08:20 PM
honda's 1st notch is 16mm[ minimum according to manual] then add 6mm per notch so that notch 11 = 76 mm [maximum according to manual]so a 4 is 16 + 18 =34mm and a 6 is 16+30=46mm
edit:this is for the 195/196/197

Thanks Ian, way easier to talk notches.

Another question: Do you use the minimum recommended in Summer for a summer grass and maximum recommended in Winter?

ian
10-04-2010, 08:26 PM
generally i try to drop the mowing height towards the end of winter then i can increase the height to help with mowing the lush spring growth and i aim to have the lawns at there summer cutting height by the middle to end of november and i stay at this height until the end of winter the height i cut on depends on the type of grass also the type of customer :laughing: