PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Dilemma

gilcanmow
29-11-2004, 07:40 AM
Hi guys, looking for a little advice about a vehicle to tow the trailer, this is my current setup

e:\gilcanmow\car & trailer 001

While the XR8 is nice and comfortable, the fuel bill is getting high ($130-150 per week). Unfortunately when I had the trailer made I didn't make myself clear enough when I told the trailer builder to keep it as light as possible. It weighs 350kg empty so I need something with plenty of grunt to pull it.

I have been looking at replacing it with something like the new Hilux/Rodeo V6 but I have since been told by several people that they are very heavy on fuel and will probably go through more than my current V8. So the next thing I looked at was the turbo diesel. The Nissan Navara is very nice and seems to have plenty of grunt but it handles like a small boat in high seas. The Toyota is too expensive and the Maxda Boss 4x2 is very under powered.

ANY IDEAS????????

:i dunno:

Tonyr
29-11-2004, 07:49 AM
The Nissan Navara is a good rig, I been in the dual cab latest turbo model, suspension is a bit stiff but lots of grunt, nice rig.

The toyotas are just to expensive!

Rodoes are popular...

Talk to Alex here, he bought a new rig recently and would of done this research, he'd be happy to oblige.

While most now can go fast and perform great, once ya throw a trailer behind them they just become thirsty animals!

My 4.2 diesel landcruiser 4 x 4 won't go 2 weeks on 95 litres, many weeks it will easily drink a whole tank!

Vehicles now a simply soft and not made to tow, glorified cars really....

good luck!

Alex Callaghan
29-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Hi guys, looking for a little advice about a vehicle to tow the trailer, this is my current setup

e:\gilcanmow\car & trailer 001

While the XR8 is nice and comfortable, the fuel bill is getting high ($130-150 per week). Unfortunately when I had the trailer made I didn't make myself clear enough when I told the trailer builder to keep it as light as possible. It weighs 350kg empty so I need something with plenty of grunt to pull it.

I have been looking at replacing it with something like the new Hilux/Rodeo V6 but I have since been told by several people that they are very heavy on fuel and will probably go through more than my current V8. So the next thing I looked at was the turbo diesel. The Nissan Navara is very nice and seems to have plenty of grunt but it handles like a small boat in high seas. The Toyota is too expensive and the Maxda Boss 4x2 is very under powered.

ANY IDEAS????????

:i dunno:

For towing you can't go past a turbo diesel.
When a TD has a load on it comes into it's own.

Have you driven a Bravo mate?
Just because the figures arn't on the paper dosn't mean it dosn't go like $hit off a shovel. They have about the same amount of power as a Hilix TD
The same TD donk in my Courier and it isn't underpowered.
I tow alot of gear with the courier and do alot of H'way driving and no issues with staying on a 100km
I tryed to drive it really fast along this straight strech of road the other day and it ran out of puff at 150km.
Pretty good for a deisel.

I've driven them all mate.
Yeh........Nissan ZD-30 is a nice engine but they arn't that much cheaper than a Lux on road and the Luxies have alot of extras that I thought were worth the money.
Put a diesel preformance chip in a lux, dyno tune and Intercool and you'll have a 115kw plus.

The Bravo is value for money and it's Intercooled unlike alot of the others.
Great work utes the Mazda and the Courier.

You'll just have to test drive mate.
No other substitute than hoping in and mashing that right pedal ya self!

gilcanmow
29-11-2004, 01:49 PM
decisions decisions, it's just going to be hard to say goodbye to the current ute (250Kw, all leather etc), it's bloody nice and comfortable but unfortunately not very practicable. Thanks for the advice guys, now to go car shopping. :i dunno:

Hondy
29-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Have you considered a tilt cab like a Dyna or Isuzu ?
Is it just for work or do the family have a vote ?
If you you want it in pretty blue it might narrow your choices down.

APS_QLD
29-11-2004, 08:04 PM
I'm no trailer builder, but it looks to me the wheels are to far back putting a lot of download on your vehicle.

When i had my trailer built they had the wheels to far back and i had 110Kg on the tow ball (unloaded) and i could not lift it off the towball. Within two months the jockey wheel broke from the weight and the brakes on my vehicle had to be replaced as the extra weight caused problems. Tow vehicle then was a Toyota Hiace van. I now run a Rodeo 4x4. I also took the trailer back and said to fix it. While i think they were smart asses and moved the axle a bit to far forward the extra weight i will be having with boxes etc up front will sort that out.

Mind you i bet your rig tows great :)

Brian

Topcat
30-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Nice work on your trailor gil.

Take the other guys advice on loosing the toy- the back tyres wort last long pulling all day, a local mate had a SS for about a yaer, a bit to pretty for this line of work...good luck with it mate..

bradtez
30-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Gil,

Give me a call, i went thru all this just before xmas last year and got the Nissan Navara ST-R 3.0l TD. 110kW without having to chip it or modify in any way. Tows the dingo (1.8tonne) around everyday around town for 600clicks from at tank. As i said, give me a call and have a look over it if you wish.

Brad

Indyanswer
01-12-2004, 02:01 AM
Gil i can :wave-hi: see that advertising from victoria

Ebony
01-12-2004, 08:20 AM
I have no idea :p but Gil I like your signage, very good, as Dean implied that definitely stands out and can be seen from a mile away. Brilliant!

matder
01-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Gil if your thinking of a new vechicle a go. Give a VW cab over 14 foot tray turbo intercooled diesel a demo they go like a shower of **** dont know fuel economy but locals say there bloody good.I would have got but had to settle on a KIA 2700 as budget wouldnt allow me the 38 grand to get one :wave-hi: :wave-hi: matty

Alex Callaghan
01-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Here's a write up I did on my Courier.

Might be some help!?

When I test drove a Bravo the steering was much better than the Courier but the suspension setup was still less than desirable.
Some good arfter market shockies in a Bravo would turn it into a completly different beast.

Having said all that...........The Hilux and the Navara are the better utes but in my opinion you get alot of bang for you'r buck with a Bravo.
The 2.5L 83KW spec on the mazda TD dosn't really mean d!ick at the end of the day. They go hard for a diesel mate.
Have a test drive.
The inside and handeling in the new Bravo is much better than me ol Courier but with the same good donk.

All depends on what you want to spend!

administrator
19-09-2006, 12:35 PM
GAS GAS GAS :Rain:

chaplain
01-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Dont buy the new holden crewcabs be warned :i dunno: :frightene :frightene

haireyscarie
01-03-2007, 05:59 PM
I am stuck with my JEEP Wrangler soft top.
better now the tralor is set up to hold all my gear
it's a head turner but..
when i get the trailor finished i will post a story for you all..
and it rock's to take the window out .as it is so cool ;frosty;

Hustler
01-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Deffinetly dont buy a - ucking holden just ask me the problems i have had with peice of -hit im still fighting with those-unts at holden 18 mths on but we will get there in end.