PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmowing Landscaping Vehicle

administrator
23-08-2009, 08:37 AM
In another thread awhile ago people raved about the Hilux for best Vehicle for our line of work .

Anybody else have any more thoughts .

geoff
23-08-2009, 10:10 AM
yeah i have ...hilux wormate..great tray for equipment and dont have to use the trailer all the time...soory admin can only think of my hilux :rolleyes:

Redeye
23-08-2009, 10:33 AM
I've got a '04 Mazda Bravo 2.6.Never missed a beat 'though its only got 48000 on the clock. Would buy another Mazda BUT they only sell diesels now.
I don't think much of Rodeo's,thirsty buggers; you never hear bad reports on Hilux. :russ:

Bgs
23-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Hilux's seem to be the best out there , I am really happy with my Rodeo mechanically its been great (touch wood)but as redeye pointed out it does have a slight drinking problem I only get about 320k a tank

DavidS
23-08-2009, 12:28 PM
When I buy a new ute it will be a Toyota Hilux, I have had a few Toyota's over the years, never a problem with them. I have a old Nissan 720 ute at moment, great vehicle just getting a bit tired now.

Lockie
23-08-2009, 01:05 PM
With Geoff on the Hilux work mate absolute ripper ute for what we do.

simo
23-08-2009, 03:04 PM
I`ve had subaru brumby ute too small, triton was ok done the oil rings and a few other repairs, now have a rodeo bought it with 220klm now has 280klm done a water pump thats about it, does well as a lawnie truck.. :)

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
23-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I am just using my x-trail that i had for 2 years before starting the buisness but i want to get a dual cab latter on but first i want a rideon a second mower a second snipper and a new trailer so one day. :rolleyes:

Shepparton Lawn Care
24-08-2009, 09:12 PM
In another thread awhile ago people raved about the Hilux for best Vehicle for our line of work .

Anybody else have any more thoughts .
Mitsubisher Canter Tipper and Toyota Dyna Truck. Get Goliath to do Davids Work not David doing Goliath's work he he he :laughing:

johnnie5
25-08-2009, 03:32 PM
something to always think about is FBT , google and you can find FBT excempt vehicle listings

johnnie5
25-08-2009, 03:33 PM
When I buy a new ute it will be a Toyota Hilux, I have had a few Toyota's over the years, never a problem with them. I have a old Nissan 720 ute at moment, great vehicle just getting a bit tired now.

just wait till you price the hilux

in 4x4 the sr5 is about $15k than some of the others

Lockie
25-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Mitsubisher Canter Tipper and Toyota Dyna Truck. Get Goliath to do Davids Work not David doing Goliath's work he he he :laughing:

Did'nt David kill Goliath..........
:laughing: ;) :p

Stripes
25-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Another vote for hilux. Ive had three of them and they have all been problem free.

just wait till you price the hilux

in 4x4 the sr5 is about $15k than some of the others

They are pricey, but they also keep their value when you sell it later. I have the SR5 4x2 dual cab but I managed to get 6k off the asking price by calling a few dealers.

Christine Wharton
03-10-2009, 08:34 PM
I vote for Hilux, too - a great workhorse (and with a lockable enclosed tray, can store a lot of gear securely.)

johnnie5
04-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Another vote for hilux. Ive had three of them and they have all been problem free.

They are pricey, but they also keep their value when you sell it later. I have the SR5 4x2 dual cab but I managed to get 6k off the asking price by calling a few dealers.

they need to keep their value since they are gouging you in the first place , remember the more you pay the more you finance and insure etc

just ordered a holden colorado with $10K of extras for less than the hilux base model

63impala
04-10-2009, 05:41 PM
I have a 2000 hilux 2.0 my tralier is huge and it has troble pulling it I need the 2.7 engine but she still goes hard!!!!!!!!

geoff1969
04-10-2009, 06:18 PM
they need to keep their value since they are gouging you in the first place , remember the more you pay the more you finance and insure etc

just ordered a holden colorado with $10K of extras for less than the hilux base model

good one johnnie5
brother a mechanic he reckons there good .
i would love one just not in the budget at the moment .

Matto Mowing
06-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Hi all
I am new to the lawn business and in the process of getting set up.This is a great website and I'm sure I will be picking your brains on many topics.I would like to know your opinions on using a van, eg. Toyota Hiace, instead of a ute.I thought it would be easier to secure your gear in a van.What do you with more experience see as the pros & cons?
Looking forward to your comments.
Aaron

johnnie5
06-10-2009, 12:05 PM
good one johnnie5
brother a mechanic he reckons there good .
i would love one just not in the budget at the moment .

yeh it looks to be about the ebst of the bunch

anyone thinking about a new vehicle better get their act together before next year to benefit from the 50% tax break ,

its a major contributor to me getting the new one now

johnnie5
06-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi all
I am new to the lawn business and in the process of getting set up.This is a great website and I'm sure I will be picking your brains on many topics.I would like to know your opinions on using a van, eg. Toyota Hiace, instead of a ute.I thought it would be easier to secure your gear in a van.What do you with more experience see as the pros & cons?
Aaron

great for security yes

vans suck to drive around

fuel and grass smell stays in vans

Scooby Steve
06-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Hilux very reliable, but the downside with them is they cant go on gas am i right/ cracked heads? Using a ute on gas means it's still economical to tow the trailer or even cheaper without. Some blokes also find them gutless (hilux's 4 cyl.) . .

Any indi's using BA falcon one-tonners. I know ford has had issue's with quality in the past but had heard these were better?

MikeD
19-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi all
Aaron
I have been int he business for a while now, and also thinking about the Van option.

Seen a few blokes doing it. But as johnnie5 has mentioned the grass and fuel smells would stink. I am researching the best fuel cans, so they dont leak vapours, the machines will leak a few vapours too, probably. I really want a van but I'm not sure its the best option. When i'm thinking baout getting a turbo diesel Transporter, they are $$$$, so i dont wanna buy it then regret it after.

Does anyone run out of a Van? can they advise us how they manage it?

Christine Wharton
19-10-2009, 10:04 PM
We don't run out of our family's van as a primary work vehicle, but it acts as a good second unit e.g. when the ute is busy somewhere else/ off the road/ having its service/ where we don't need the trailer/rideon component, etc. It's especially good for quotes as well as you can sus out the terrain, turning space, etc of the site before going in with the big unit.
When we use it with petrol-powered machines, we transfer the gear from the ute onto a tarp in the back of the van to protect the floor, and keep the vents open to dissipate the vapours. To date we haven't had any worries with the smell of the fumes, etc, up front, but I'm not sure what it would be like full-time. (I'd definitely have a dedicated air vent on the roof if so.)

ian
19-10-2009, 10:18 PM
i use a mitsubishi express wife complains about the fumes at times but i usually don't notice them plus i always have my window down when driving i put in a false floor with a ramp attached so i can put 2 197,s straight in to the van with racks above the motors for catchers and a rack system that holds the brushcutter and multitool running from the cargo barrier straight back i have a shelf in the back 1/2 that comes to just under the rear window and the hedge trimmer and chainsaw and some other tools are stored under here out of sight note i mulch about 95% but still use a 6x4 high sided trailer for any clippings and branches from clean-ups

Glenofcarwoola
20-10-2009, 07:46 AM
I keep some of my equipment in the vehicle with me, and I really wan't a ute or small truck as soon as I can afford it. those vw transporters look tempting with a dual cab and a full size tray.

Mowjoe
20-10-2009, 07:28 PM
My advise is, Do not use a van as your work vehicle. A few years back when I was with Jim's, we had a member badly burnt after his van ignition sparked when starting. He received burns to 65% of his body and was unable to return to his business.
Thankfully Jim's helped out and the business was sold to a new contractor.

Use a ute and keep the fuel out of your cabs.

MikeD
20-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for your help, I see its much safer with a ute, and understand this. Taking in the info. Also found the non leaking jerry cans, would help with fuel smell.

Anything could spark up with the vapours. Its doing my head in, I need a van and a ute it seems, but im a poor single guy lol dont need to give the gumbyment 2x rego $$.

transporter duel cab might be the go.

johnnie5
21-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks for your help, I see its much safer with a ute, and understand this. Taking in the info. Also found the non leaking jerry cans, would help with fuel smell.

Anything could spark up with the vapours. Its doing my head in, I need a van and a ute it seems, but im a poor single guy lol dont need to give the gumbyment 2x rego $$.

transporter duel cab might be the go.

the transporter is a nice van to drikve, but when its out of warranty you dont want to pay for it

imho if you want to go van then hiace is the only choice for value , reliabilty , service , parts

gjs
21-10-2009, 04:49 PM
best TIP stay single won't be poor for long
gjs

MikeD
21-10-2009, 09:01 PM
best TIP stay single won't be poor for long
gjs
Ill be poor forever mate, baught a house... :( but :) then mortgage payments :mad:

Andy B
21-10-2009, 09:11 PM
It's probably been done a million times before, the fella who does our local macca's has a Landcruiser ute and a Horse float for all his gear. I didn't count the bags on the ute but the horse float was set up to be lockable, well vented and had heaps of room. Unhitch it on a Friday afternoon and it looks like an empty horse float till Monday.

tree beard
21-10-2009, 10:42 PM
what is this country coming toooo!

FORD

Has anyone got a real ute or are u all getting about in riceburners! :)

I have a falcon ute! 1995 LPG 300,000 on the clock, cheap neat tidy.

;frosty; :i dunno: :wave-hi:

Andy B
21-10-2009, 10:51 PM

FORD

Saw a great sticker the other day, it read "I'd rather push my holden then drive a ford."

redbackmowing
21-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Saw a great sticker the other day, it read "I'd rather push my holden then drive a ford."

how about "don't touch what you can't a-ford"

Andy B
21-10-2009, 11:37 PM
I try not to touch them cause the handles usually come off. Fixed or repaired daily. :laughing:

TassieXJ
22-10-2009, 06:08 AM

FORD

Ive got my jeep for sale and going to get a ute. Been around the car yards to see whats about in a dual cab (got two kids). Ford cant be any good, its just about the only thing in every yard, one dealer said he cant get rid of them. The holden and nissan dont last long at all.

I would have to agree, lm a holden man myself, even if its the last one left, l wont own one.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
22-10-2009, 06:31 AM

FORD

you know what ford stands for
Found
On
Rubbish
Dumps

But seriously though if you want to spend a fortune on fuel buy a ford ute

Scooby Steve
22-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Found
On
Rubbish
Dumps

Go Gas young man $40 a week tops towing a trailer.

DavidS
22-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Tassie,

I am a Holden and Toyota man, but when I went looking for a dual cab ute all I could find in most car yards where Holden Rodeo's, they need a football field to turn around in.

63impala
22-10-2009, 08:00 PM
I like that!!!!!!!!

Found
On
Rubbish
Dumps

tree beard
23-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Had a Holden for a while....Broke it several times under warranty, moved back to ford!

Falcon on LPG uses 20 bucks a day less fuel than my 2.5 turbo diesel or my wifes 2.0 turbo diesel. Cheap on parts and any fool can work on the daily repairs as mentioned earlier.

Cant use my ute as a family transport, its a bit of well a tip inside at times(gloves, boots, rain gear, jackets,hats, water bottles), however the daughter loves rummaging through the mess. :laughing: :)

redbackmowing
23-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Had a Holden for a while....Broke it several times under warranty, moved back to ford!

Falcon on LPG uses 20 bucks a day less fuel than my 2.5 turbo diesel or my wifes 2.0 turbo diesel. Cheap on parts and any fool can work on the daily repairs as mentioned earlier.

Cant use my ute as a family transport, its a bit of well a tip inside at times(gloves, boots, rain gear, jackets,hats, water bottles), however the daughter loves rummaging through the mess. :laughing: :)

good to have another ford man on here. those nancy boy holden drivers are a bit sensitive. ;frosty; :laughing:

Bgs
24-10-2009, 05:31 AM
good to have another ford man on here. those nancy boy holden drivers are a bit sensitive. ;frosty; :laughing:

First
On
Race
Day

lets not talk about this years Bathurst though :laughing: :laughing:

I too am a Ford man every prior car I have owned has always been a ford.

My whole family was shocked when I brought a Rodeo Last year, with two kids I needed a dual cab and had to choose practicality over brand loyalty,as it was the best priced low K dual cab I could find at the time.

It has actually been a great ute and I console myself with the fact that it is a re badged Isuzu :p

Tree beards right though a mid 90's Falcon on LPG is a great option for a cheap reliable work hack, anything pre the AU cant have a Aluminium Tray though

63impala
24-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Toyota Hilux till i die baby 2.0l she does need some more power at times 300.200 on clock and she is still hard charging.when I was young I was like dad I wont a Chevy Truck for us big boys and dad like trust me kev u will have Toyota till you die,Dad ran 3 chevys for his pluming bussiness L.A VICE PLUMBING.

Stripes
24-10-2009, 10:10 AM
I love my hilux! I have the 4.0L V6 which has so much power. I can barely feel the trailer when I have it on. It feels like it has almost twice as much power as my previous 2.7L hilux and uses only a little bit more fuel.

63impala
24-10-2009, 11:04 AM
AUTO OR MANUAL?

I love my hilux! I have the 4.0L V6 which has so much power. I can barely feel the trailer when I have it on. It feels like it has almost twice as much power as my previous 2.7L hilux and uses only a little bit more fuel.

Stripes
24-10-2009, 12:02 PM
AUTO OR MANUAL?

Manual. I can't stand auto!

Bluey
24-10-2009, 01:38 PM
First
On
Race
Day

lets not talk about this years Bathurst though :laughing: :laughing:

I too am a Ford man every prior car I have owned has always been a ford.

My whole family was shocked when I brought a Rodeo Last year, with two kids I needed a dual cab and had to choose practicality over brand loyalty,as it was the best priced low K dual cab I could find at the time.

It has actually been a great ute and I console myself with the fact that it is a re badged Isuzu :p

Tree beards right though a mid 90's Falcon on LPG is a great option for a cheap reliable work hack, anything pre the AU cant have a Aluminium Tray though

Now I suport neither group but my brother in law is a holden man through and through. He has a different saying for the word FORD.

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

Bgs
24-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Now I suport neither group but my brother in law is a holden man through and through. He has a different saying for the word FORD.

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

we could pay each other out all day there are a million out there :laughing: :laughing:

HOLDEN - Homo***uals Only Like Driving Engineering Nightmares

VJinTownsville
14-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Check this atrocity on ebay if you want a van

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VW-KOMBI-6-WHEELER_W0QQitemZ110455865705QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Cars?hash=item19b7aec169

VJinTownsville
14-11-2009, 03:27 PM
I would love to get a 6 wheeler hilux or any reliable ute.

Even better if it was a tipper too I saw one for sale but wasnt quick enough.

With a longer tray (9-10ft by 6ft tray) that would be an awesome practical car. Only have to modify toolboxes, fuel storage etc

BLUJAY
14-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Got a Mazda BT-50 2.5 turbo diesel. Pulls the trailer around all day in hilly areas with no trouble. Good fuel economy considering the weight of the trailer. There were problems with the servicing costs when the model was newer in its run, but mazda have apparently changed the service cost schedule. Overall I would recommend them (ford ranger is essentially the same) as a good alternative to the toyota.... :)

4 Gardens
26-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Does anyone use Nissan Navaras? Thinking about a dual cab 4wd diesel. There are some good deals on the older but still brand NEW D22 for about $32k driveaway. Any thoughts?

MowerRob
26-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Does anyone use Nissan Navaras? Thinking about a dual cab 4wd diesel. There are some good deals on the older but still brand NEW D22 for about $32k driveaway. Any thoughts?

Have a d40 since brand new 4 years old now (auto) hasnt missed a beat(touch wood) the only thing is it chews thru brake pads and disc , cos i am always towing a heavy load and my round is in the foothills.
If I was to update I would def get another D40. Got the D40 over the D22 due to bigger cabin space and the rear seats fold up so I can fit my fridge in there.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
26-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Any one had a good look at the great walls. There very cheap but i wonder if there too cheap.

Andy B
26-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Didn't the nissan boss apologise about getting it wrong with the navaras?? something like a 90% chance of a head or neck injury in an accident. I haven't driven the latest ones, but drove them off the boat a few years ago and didn't think they were much chop, but a mate I worked with loved them, but he was a ford fan. Take one or two for drive and see what you think.

Bgs
26-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Any one had a good look at the great walls. There very cheap but i wonder if there too cheap.

I have a write up in a 4x4 mag somewhere I will see if I can find it over the weekend from memory it wasn't a glowing report.

They look like the love child of a Rodeo and a dhaitsu.

Andy B
26-02-2010, 09:27 PM
I have a write up in a 4x4 mag somewhere I will see if I can find it over the weekend from memory it wasn't a glowing report.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

TassieXJ
27-02-2010, 06:31 AM

4wd Action, issue no.145, page 57.

I thought about one, but they are dam ugly and at this stage they only come in petrol. Its a 2.4lt with 100Kw and 200Nm of power, so after reading about one, if l was only going to use it for the business only, l would think about. But as a 4wd I DONT THINK SO.

Bgs
27-02-2010, 06:59 AM
news report on safety of great wall and jumbuck :frightene :frightene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2OCYr0hpBE

holdenhead
28-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Hi, I have just got a '06 Mazda bravo sdx Turbo Diesel. It's a bit of overkill for a mowing ute but it come up for sale and as I know the pervious owner and how fussy he is with his cars I had to have it. It's really set up for touring OZ. It's a small change from my trusty '84 Rodeo tray that is for sale cheap by the way.

Cheers Rick

Andy B
01-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi, I have just got a '06 Mazda bravo sdx Turbo Diesel. It's a bit of overkill for a mowing ute but it come up for sale and as I know the pervious owner and how fussy he is with his cars I had to have it. It's really set up for touring OZ. It's a small change from my trusty '84 Rodeo tray that is for sale cheap by the way.

Cheers Rick

You'll have to replace the badges on it. :p