PDA

View Full Version : which brushcutter

peter
06-12-2004, 07:28 PM
hi everyone, just in the process of buying a new trimmer / brushcutter and wondering what to get, what does everyone use ? whats the best ? honda ? stihl ? echo? husqvarna ? 4 stroke 2 stroke ? my last one
was stihl . id prefer straight shaft mainly for edges and general work , any ideas would be appreciated .

APS_QLD
06-12-2004, 07:42 PM
Komatsui 2 stroke :)

My two cents worth

patch
06-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Forget Husqvarna, Honda is to heavy, stick with the 2 stroke, I have used Shindaiwa in the past but have found on newer models they are hard to start in hot weather (could be fuel vapor lock) I use and recommend Echo the only thing I would like to see is a bigger fuel tank.

Dean can do a good deal if you are interested in Echo.

Regards PATCH

mick
07-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Cheak out the Kawasaki's. Good weight, power and price!
I have 3 different types.

Shindiawa's are good but heavier the the Kawa's. I also dont like the heads!Good second choice for me!

sharon
07-12-2004, 02:27 PM
I use a honda and have found it to be heavy, i will be getting a smaller lighter one not sure what. I have just got a instant feed head and i love it. Sharon

mick
07-12-2004, 03:17 PM
What do you mean about instant feed head? Do you mean Tap 'n' Go?

Topcat
07-12-2004, 04:30 PM
I use a sthil FS85R, i have had one since jan 1999, just upgraded this year to the same model.Only had minor stuff ups.

They had put on some plates to help it run on those hot! days :laughing: .

Just buy the best you can afford! ;)

Take onboard all these blokes tell you, then make your call.....

Remember----- Maintain all your gear, it will last longer....

mick
07-12-2004, 04:50 PM
The only good trimmer is the one that works for you!

The commercial grade trimmers are probably all much for muchness anyway!

Just go and pick up a couple and see which feel good for you. Ask the deallers which types they see/repair most!

I will tell you this though, I had a Shin T2500 (the 4stroke) and hated it. Bogged down way too easy and was much heavier than my Kawa's! I'd steer clear of that one!

Alex Callaghan
07-12-2004, 05:05 PM
:laughing: Electric Ryobi all the way!! :laughing:

Nah.............I've had nothin but good experiance with Shindaiwa
since I started running em so I stay with em.

As the other guys say..............Advise from other lawn guys is good to a point but when it's all said and done you'r the one that's going to be coughin up the hard earned and have it running in your hands so you'll have to take the advise as it is..........Opnions and nothin more.
Look at the factors that are important to you like price, wieght, power, tourqe, build quality, max rpm, dealer support and distance....the list goes on.

Good luck Peter

peter
07-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Thanks heaps everyone who replied, Ive been looking around and played with a few and am leaning heavily toward the stihl FS85r although not too sure about the auto feed head but have never had probs with stihl ( wouldnt be buying a new one if it diddnt fall off the trailer the other day DOH! ) anyway thanks again guys and girls .

sharon
07-12-2004, 06:40 PM
What do you mean about instant feed head? Do you mean Tap 'n' Go?

No not the tap and go it lets out line on it's own, when it gets down to the last bit of line then you tap. I should have said self feeding :) sharon

Tonyr
07-12-2004, 08:51 PM
What brand are these self feeding heads?

I'm using a Tanaka now but stopping and starting is a pain to manually set line length. They tangle up if ya hit wire too...but line does stay cooler than in a plastic bump feed which is good, and I can make great edges with it, better than a bump feed for some reason...

Can yas tell me more, pics even of a self feeder please?

Pros/cons?

mick
07-12-2004, 09:37 PM
I've heard of these self feeding heads! Aren't they Stihl or something. Sound interesting as long as you can have a fair amount of line out. I like running with about 7-8" of line.

Show some pics if you can or the address of a site please!

I use the tap and go heads and like them. If you feed line more often Tony, it wont melt so much. I very rarly have problems now since I worked that out!

I hate the stop start of those Tanakas, as well as the other manual heads like the Shin. Especially when edging when it wears down quickly!

sharon
08-12-2004, 03:24 PM
The mower shop guy said they go on a Kazz? not sure if that is how you spell it. I will find the packet cost about $60. the line does not melt once you know how to load it. I asked him if it would fit a honda said he will make it fit. All the mowing guys use them here he said. Not sure how long the line can be used at, but i do not mind as it just comes out and stays about the same. Do not have to stop and pull out. I will go and find the details. :wave-hi: sharon

sharon
08-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Details not much good. Has a no on top NC70/80/100. I would look at the kazz sight. Will be talking to the mower guy tonight will ask him. :wave-hi: sharon

sharon
08-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Not sure now. The mower guy said it is a bump type. The instructions say that in the case of the line not coming out then tap. My question is what are the types of heads can you get, i would have said that this is self feeding. With the line melting i have found that if i do not wind it on as tight it seems to help. Doed the bump just work on the fact that it might get bumped while using it. :) sharon

peter
08-12-2004, 08:53 PM
hi sharon, my stihl fs45 had had a bump feed and basically when u want a bit more line u just give it a tap on the ground and it should feed a bit out, if u feed too much out it will cut off on the blade on the guard . Then theres the manual type wich speaks for itself , then theres the auto feed type which is whats on the stihl fs85 which relys on centrifugal force to feed out the line . :)

sharon
09-12-2004, 07:27 AM
I think that the mower gut has put a self feeding on as i do not need to do anything the line seems to just come out, i have a sliding guard on so it can not be cut. Do the bump feeds that good that it will come out on it's own without bumping it. If not then this head must be self feeding. :wave-hi: sharon

administrator
21-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Tanaka Head

haireyscarie
21-01-2007, 02:23 PM
i have the shindaiwa C-260 BULL HANDLE.. (http://www.cairnsmowercity.com/prod155.htm)
No problems yet..
better then the honda 1 i was useing
it has the power head ..i did not like it at 1st ..but love it now..
as it holds 5mts of cord.you get about 2 and half tank's of fuel to the 5 mts i think

robbie
01-05-2008, 06:42 PM
i've brought this to the top as I didnt want to start another thread about brushcutters...

anyway, i'm buying all my equipment for my new venture into this industry, and came across a very mint, but cheap fs36 stihl brush cutter... I plan to use it for 6 months on saturdays while expanding my client base and saving $$ to buy all my proper gear later down track..

my question to you guys, is the fs36 good enough for an entry level type brush cutter? I dont want to spend heaps up front as I may find the business is no good for me, so yeah, would like to buy this as its good and cheap

Wombat Garden Services
01-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Wombats 2 cents worth :rolleyes:
I like my Husqvarna 326LS (contractor model), 4kg /1.2hp/runs very clean, husqvarna may have been iffy some years ago but now they really seem to have their act together.
Failing that, everyone and his dog seems to like shindaiwa, usually the t260, bulletproof but about 5.4kg.

just john
02-05-2008, 07:53 AM
I love my shindaiwa T270 fitted with a alloy head ,it goes & goes back up is a Dolmar but rarely used. :rolleyes:

Hownowbrowncow
02-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Shindaiwa= "First to start, last to finish!"
Have a T230 and no problems. (Clean filter or change as with spark plug.)

hownowbrowncow

geoff
03-05-2008, 04:12 PM
shindy t30 here here ..top machine light and strong and reliable....hot weather cold including snow no problems.... if you get a key contractor card u get a huge discount...can get them at the shindy mower shops...mowerpower sells heaps of them