PDA

View Full Version : The First Job Thread, Share Yours.

Andy B
30-08-2009, 10:43 PM
I've been mowing lawns for awhile now and a few months ago I bought and read Dean's book Lawn Mowing Fastrack to Success. To thank him publicly for his book and support and website and everything ILMCOA has done to give me the confidence to build my own business, I have just written my version of "the first job". It's a bit lengthy and I apologise for that but it's true and hopefully someone new to the game can get something out of it.

So if you've got the time have a read, and when you're finished write yours and share it.

After reading Dean’s book a couple of months ago and stretching the finances to the limit to purchase equipment, insurance etc. I have finally done a letter box drop and it’s now generated 3 calls!
The first was a quote for mowing and hedges on a house that’s going to become a rental, (yet to do job). The second was for a yard clean up, mowing hedges etc. Big job but cancelled day before. The third call generated the first job! Until now I had only ever worked for people I knew or friends and relatives of people I knew.

The following is my analytical recollection of the day. I quoted the job thinking it would be done in about two and half hours but as taught by all ILMCOA gave set price. I wrote quote on the bottom of a short introduction letter with my business name in large print at the top.

I advised the client I would be there around 9am. The client greeted me out the front as I was putting on sunscreen and showed me another garage door that had not been opened when I did the quote. It was a big relief as I was dreading carrying my brand new Honda 196d up the back stairs. I thanked the client and finished with the sunscreen and pulled out my Kawasaki EG35 (brushcutter with the chord head on). Put the straps on and started her up. Cut all the front edges and headed around the side and out the back.

Wow this really is a 1200 sq m block (I must of had rose coloured glass’s when I quoted it) headed up the side cutting the edge all the way and lifted up the fallen pailings onto the back fence. Stopped halfway across there and then did all around the trees and all the other odd bits I could find before heading up the other side and across to the middle of the back fence where I’d stopped. Crikey, I forgot my phone and my drink bottle. I headed back to the car and sighted the clock, crap an hour had gone already.

Well better christen this new mower. Lifted her out of the back of my wagon and grabbed one of my new 175L garden bags. Went straight up to the back yard and started her up there. Quickly realised none of the guys on the ILMCOA website told me the new mower was going to be way harder to push up a hill compared to my 20yr old rover. Cursed them half way up but was so enthusiastic when I made the first turn. Did two full laps around the edge and wished I hadn’t forgotten my drink bottle. When I got to the top I started to zig zag down hill. The catcher was full on about the second crossing which was okay cause I placed the garden bag on the ankle high clover expecting it would be a heavy area. By about my sixth pass through the clover I realised that it was slowing me up so emptied the catcher for the third time. Then mowed the clover patch ignoring the zig zag pattern I’d been working on. Cleaned up the clover and emptied the 175L bag then about three quarter full for the first time.

There used to be a pool closer to the house and the client wanted the clippings etc dumped into it. It also was about three quarters full but solid enough of logs to stand on. Finished the back yard after draining the tap a couple of times to keep hydrated. What is with these 30 degree days in August? The client requested that the back cement court yard be swept. Guess what? Forgot the broom after using my Pope blower so much since buying it, I was thinking I’d use the vacuum function I paid the extra 30 bucks for. In hindsight I wish I had used the broom or the vacuum function but knowing I was taking way longer than I thought I opted to blow the leaves etc into a pile then scoop them up into the garden bag and dump them when finished. It worked well but now wish I had blocked off under the back door to prevent any leaves flying under it and wish I had told the client at the end of the day where I placed the towels I took off clothesline and placed folded on upstairs undercover outdoor table. Will only know if client okay with what I did if they get me back!

Continued out the front with the blower, the client had said picking up all the leaves was important. Then blew off all the paths and the driveway and around the front door. I blew it all onto the grass and leafy areas for the mower to pick up. It was looking good and out came the mower again. It was sectioned off into three so like the back yard I did two laps around outside of each section then mowed them zig sagging from top to bottom. It looked great, all the leaves, all the clippings, all collected up into the garden bag ready to go out the back into the old pool.

Out the back, I had noticed a hedge that I hadn’t seen when quoting. If I had, the quote would of been a bit higher. There was also another small hedge about 3m long going from a tree across to the letter box. It looked as though it had never been kept so I got out my Pope hedger and shaped it into a nice little rectangular strip. Collected the hedge bits and looked back over job. Tidied up the driveway and the front gutter a final time with the blower and blew the dust off my now brown mower. I then emptied the garden bag for the final time and put all my gear away. As I started to write the client out an invoice they approached cash in hand and stated they did not wish for a receipt. I thanked them kindly and advised that I didn’t notice the hedge out the back when I quoted but I have done the small one at the front for no extra charge. The client thanked me and advised they would call me when they need me next, which would probably be some time after it next rains. I advised I saw rain predicted finally for next week which will be great because it’s been so long.

So that was my first official job three and half hours. All tools did what they are meant to. It was a tough job, bigger than I thought but who cares I’ve completed my first official job. Home for lunch and a cold drink!

cap
31-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Thats a great read Andy and congrats on your first job as a contractor.

Its always nice to get that first job under your belt and let those butterflies settle down a bit.

Although I'm a couple of months away from starting off myself, I'm expecting my membership kit sometime this week and looking forward to reading the book, hopefully it'll help me as much as its helped many others.

Andy B
31-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks Cap,

Yeah book is awesome, so usefull! I re-read the sections when I need some help to get me back on track. I'm looking forward to reading more stories.

redbackmowing
31-08-2009, 10:16 PM
great post AndyB,

i'm sure a lot of guys on this forum has a story like yours when starting out. Not knowing how long a job will take is an absolute nigh impossible to predict for a newbie. One of my 1st mowing jobs took about 1 hr longer than i thought. Twice as much clippings removed, ended up making $10 per hr. Good lesson though. We learn by our mistakes. (sometimes it takes a few times) Look forward to hearing more of them.

cheers

Bgs
03-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Great read Andy your well on your way now.

I remember my first time lol

I was like you Andy I had been practicing on friends and relatives, I did a flyer drop and ended up with three bookings two next door and one further up the road .

smallish blocks with big houses I remember being extremely nervous and trying my hardest to look like a professional knowledgeable contractor

first one took 1 1/2 hours moved on to next door which took 2 hours lol.

went home had lunch and a sleep on the couch got up and finished the third in the afternoon which took about a 1 1/2 hours as well.

I did a pretty good job on them I just was very nervous and extremely slow, it felt fantastic though your first paying customers is confirmation that your dream of owing your own business is well and truly becoming a reality.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
03-09-2009, 05:23 PM
When I first started I waited 4 days to get my first call, thing is lady sounded just like a friend of mine,who is a bit of a practical joker. So the lady on the phone says I'd like you to come and cut my lawn, I said "well I could, but do I really want to"
It didn't take long to realize this was a potential paying customer. I was very apologetic and ended up doing a quote,needless to say I didn't get the job.
I'm just glad I didn't say anything worse as usually there is a lot of ***ual endiendo spoken between me and this friend of mine.

Not exactly my first job but thought I'd throw it in anyway :)

My first job was faily uneventful 2 hour job took me 4 hours to snip mow and fix some garden bed edges.Oh.. and put some shape back into 2 lilly pillies she had growing near her front door, which I said I would do for no extra cost,thinking it wont take long to do. Fool. :o I was so nervous I hardly slept the night before. But was very happy with how it all came up and the customer rang that night to say it looked fantastic :)

twin_cities_lawncare
18-09-2009, 06:30 PM
The first job we did was a factory site north of the city - a 2-part job in an industrial estate where the company had 2 properties that had to be mowed, whippersnipped and poisoned. It earned us over $150 and that seemed pretty good four years ago. There was another massive mow on an unkempt rental property near the Ross River Dam as well that day and it brought in nearly $200 so that boosted things along nicely too, and a 3rd job closer to home that afternoon brought the first day's takings to over $400. I looked at the distances covered and it noticed there was a lot of time and petrol spent travelling that day, but we hadn't realised the importance of "clustering" jobs as much as we do today.

63impala
19-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Yah quoted my first bunning where house yesterday.I was taking a shower i here the phone ring run out but naked and answer it and my hart starting real fast whene he said bunning once you are in the door there you are set. :russ: :laughing: :russ: :laughing: :russ: :laughing:

courty
19-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Knocked over my first job yesterday,edge blow mow,client was happy and has gone for 3 weekly service through winter. Have to quote a rubbish removal and soft landscape job in the morning,not a bad start I suppose since we only started dropping flyers last week :)

Andy B
19-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Awesome Courty! Keep them coming, any lessons etc you learnt?

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
19-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I remember when i first started my buisness put an add in the paper waited for the phone to ring no calls for 3 days then on the fourth i got a call went to mow this guys yard and i stupidly advertised a very low price. Any way spent 2.5 hours on my own snipping mowing and catching then got a broom and swept the paths. Thought i would save money by not using a blower to start off that lasted about 2 weeks then brought one. For the 2.5 hour job i got $40 the next job had rung well i was at the first went did it next another 2.5 hours and got $50 for it. Both jobs though now days with my good equipment would take me and the offsider just over half an hour.

Forgot to mention i had a buisness partner who wasnt there for the first 2 jobs any way sacked him after 2 months i would do some days with him helping and a lot without him. I caught him taking money from the account and that was the end of him. Never get a partner other than you wife or husband good advice to any one starting a buisness.

courty
20-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Awesome Courty! Keep them coming, any lessons etc you learnt?

The mow was pretty straight forward,a bit up hill and down with a reasonable amout of edging,took 40 mins will get that down to 30mins,charged $35,clients 100 meters from my place so no travel or anything.
Got the go ahead on the green waste removal I quoted this morning,easy access and one load $190.00 plus I have to quote the client on a full overhaul of the front garden,probably about a 2-3 day job so I'm bound to to have some questions on this one :)

Andy B
21-05-2010, 12:01 AM
The mow was pretty straight forward,a bit up hill and down with a reasonable amout of edging,took 40 mins will get that down to 30mins,charged $35,clients 100 meters from my place so no travel or anything.
Got the go ahead on the green waste removal I quoted this morning,easy access and one load $190.00 plus I have to quote the client on a full overhaul of the front garden,probably about a 2-3 day job so I'm bound to to have some questions on this one :)

Going well Courty! Keep it up!

bulletproofhead
25-05-2010, 12:49 PM
hi all , yep I'm another newbie ,
just thought I'd get onto this thread as a start as well ,
well not my first job as most have been friends and rellies as we all have done , but this is the first job with all my own gear , quoted a friend about 2-3 hrs $40-$50 to fix up a very over grown area near the house on a 5 acre property , yep you guessed it under estimated as we all have job took 4 -1/2 hrs , friend was over the moon with the results , basic edges with echo whipper sniper , cut & catch with 5.5hp Honda 3 speed self propelled mower , best part was leave the clippings down as mulch on the dirt patches around the property , all tools worked with out failure all power tools used less than a full tank of fuel on each , i used more tools on my own place than at the friends place the next day , and our place takes 2hrs maximum using echo whipper sniper / atom edger / MTD ride on mower with catcher / echo blower ,
it takes longer to load up the trailer than do the job , has any one noticed that , lol
at the end of the day i must admit i had fun anyway and got paid as well .

I used to work for a company that had 3 work crews ( 6 people per crew ) with disabled guys doing garden maintenance for about 2 yrs , these are great people to work with , really keeps you on your toes as a supervisor so the experiences are there and now with more than 5yrs experience , i have started my own business & I'm sure there will be many more experiences to come , hope so anyway .
just thought i would share that .

cheers
Les
Grass keeps Growing and we keep Mowing

Andy B
25-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Nice one, and welcome to the forum bulletproofhead!

Might not be the last one you under quote but you'll get better at it for sure.

Redeye
25-05-2010, 12:59 PM
G'day Les:wave-hi:
Its all good, 'though this time of year you might find yourself scratching for lawns to mow. Be worth your while looking for pruning work, plenty of hedges,fruit trees etc on the Southern H'lands.
I'm due east from you at Currarong & the lawns have stopped growing pretty much, rain coming, so time for R&R:russ::Rain:

bulletproofhead
25-05-2010, 09:18 PM
hi , and thnx andy ,
well it looks like i didn't do as bad as i thought , my better half saw her friend that i cut the lawns for , he was organizing his payment for me threw her today , woohoo , she did very good , i was happy with what i had quoted $40 - $50 , she got $130 cash , now i'm over the moon , needless to say , i cooked dinner tonight , hehehe , so she would feel special too , win win all round , what i great start ,

i've been playing with the print program on my puter , might get out an do a letter box drop just to test the waters , considering it is the wrong time of year .

grass keeps growing , and we keep mowing
Les
Mittagong lawn wizard

bulletproofhead
25-05-2010, 09:31 PM
thanx redeye
yep its light showers here , i've got Dean's book now so i'm sure it will be a good read

cheers
Les;)

simo
08-07-2010, 10:26 PM
My first paid job was for my great grandmother to mow her back lawn for $10 back in 1983 when i was 10...is in the blood since then:whipit:D :D

RSM-Gazza
09-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Andy,

I think I've read your first job post from last year about 4 times now and it just superb reading for a newbie.
I'm still 2wks away from the new trailer delivery and then signwriting, Although all signwriting artwork is done.

But luckily my first job has surfaced for tomorrow within my street via word of mouth of what I'm about to do.
I couldn't take me clapped out domesetic Victa 1992 anniversery model with the home made on & off switch down there.
So I picked up a Contractor Masport alloy base combi with a GXV 160 on top this morning.
I'm on a 1200sq at home, so mowed my lawns today and was very impressed with it, although it was heavy. But the 4 blades are so good as against two.(realising it all new)
Well I know I'll have a re read of your post here again before I do the first the job tomorrow.
But the owners will not be home to watch. So that more nerve wracking experience and working in a different neighbour hood area is still to come.
Just gotta hope the forecast rain holds off till the jobs done.

geoff1969
09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
hi riverside
so its the first job ??? dont think of it that way just ask your self how many times you have done your own , theres aint no diffrent just have a good look around set out your attact plan so to speak then take your time and if theres some thing your not happy with about the finished job just touch it up before you leave simple ..
good luck take your time and you will do well. cheers

lenny
09-07-2010, 08:42 PM
My first job was working at the local golf course. Me and a mate on a Saturday morning would take the dew of the greens with a large broom, for the members competion. We use to get $20 each. It would take us about 2 hours.

RSM-Gazza
09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
hi riverside
so its the first job ??? dont think of it that way just ask your self how many times you have done your own , theres aint no diffrent just have a good look around set out your attact plan so to speak then take your time and if theres some thing your not happy with about the finished job just touch it up before you leave simple ..
good luck take your time and you will do well. cheers

Thanks Geoff,

Always respect your experienced comments.
Pretty sure I've read in a post gone by of your respect for Masport mowers. There solid units to the eye and the alloy base is quite thick. Must say it cut my lawn which is in premium nick like level carpet. Unlike the old 2 blade victa, doing the blunt scissors job.
SP will come when I'm up and running, Don't wish to waste any warranty on it re the gearbox.
Yep, I'll take me time and hook up me back up trailer behind the one tonner and wear the high vis clothing. Although the embodied uniform is about 6 days from being ready.

Looking forward to it, just hope the rain holds off.

geoff1969
09-07-2010, 09:26 PM
hey riverside
another thing to remember when starting out is take some before and after shots of all your jobs = then you can reflect back on them for your confidence , and also a picture tells a thousand words handy to have when talking to upcoming potential clients when quoting you can find out what thay want then as your walking through there property etc thay can look through your before and after photo album ,
cheers

Andy B
10-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Riverside, thanks for your comments, you have a good day today, remember to have a look over it before and after and get that feeling of satisfaction. And I hope the rain holds off till this afternoon!

Tell us how it went tonight.

RSM-Gazza
10-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Well,

All's good Andy/Geoff, just the one job so time was my own and I look forward to the free built in Gym Membership that comes with the lifstyle.
Our street is on the outskirts of town on a hill side. So whippering/mowing a lower section, then 1.8mtrs up to complete the next section.
Great just to get out and do a job that is not your own place.(whilst it felt a little strange and different being on someone elses property)
Although no one was home or will be for a little while, so I have a follow up appointment over the period of time involved. :):)

I just can't believe the difference of what a quality constructed mower with 4 sharp blades along with a rubberised handle can deliver as compared to an old well used wobbly wheeled domestic Victa. The Masport made the lawn look like a bowling green, even in winter.

I've been in my shed mostly since doing the job with the fire going and the footy on the 3AW streamed Richo channel. Just admiring over and over the stance and the sheer build quality of a Masport with a GXV 160 sitting on it.
Chilly day it was, but I must say I raised a little sweat and with 30+ degrees the normal everyday from Nov to March in my environment it will prove to be a challenge.

Enjoyed it 100% and look forward to bedding in a more frequent schedule soon when I truely begin the advertising and posting of my business profile material.
The last few days whilst being out and about town on foot organising things for the business. I have walked into many acquaintances re community and business people at many levels with whom I was associated with in my last job on both side of the border here.
Each and everyone of them asked for a hand full of business cards after I showed them a single copy of the one I'm going with.
I had ordered 1500, so on Monday a quick call to the local printers is in order to increase to 2000.
Everyday seems so much more encouraging as I venture deeper in this.:):):):)
Along with support from this forum and its people.(Thanks)
Tomorrow my wife and I are having lunch with a friend who is a sole trader in a different field and has been for two yrs and is going to give me much needed practical experience re finer the aspects of MYOB. That should be good.

To all the Newbies who have come on board since I joined in June and there have been many, which is great.
Whilst I have a way to go yet and every day forging ahead brings you that little bit closer to commencing in full operational mode.
My checklist of do's to do was and still is big, but every day you get to tick of one or two items of that list that you may have doubts about getting up and running or how to even go about it.
Thats enough rambling by me tonight as the AFL tigers are 15mins away from the first bounce, back to the shed and another log on the fire for me.

Redeye
10-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Masport bases are prolly the best made, sh*t all over honda, a shame Bushranger changed suppliers. IMHO the only base better are the old victa 550.

Andy B
11-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Well done Riverside! Knock over first job : Tick!