PDA

View Full Version : Which ute to buy?

Stuie
05-06-2004, 06:55 PM
:wave-hi: Hey
We are soon to be in the market for a new ute.Driving a falcon ute at the moment and looking at other options.Just want to know what others have bought and their opinions of them.Looking at a six cylinder and probably an auto cause i cant be bothered changing gears when im at the end of a long day :p Fuel pricing will kill us soon so LPG option will have to be looked at.
Thanks
Stuart :aus-flag:

odin
06-06-2004, 02:17 PM
cadillac only way to go

Hills Lawncare Services
07-06-2004, 07:45 AM
I currently have a 94 hilux with the alluminium tray and its an excellent ute particularly for what you pay for them, I know its 4 cylinder, but too my own suprise it has heaps of torque. I have never struggled towing anything. The newer hilux's have bigger engines and fuel injectection and if you want more power you could go for the diesel engine, I have driven one of these you could tow your house with it. The only downfall is they are a true work ute, noisy and usually pretty stock standard inside in comparison to the show ponies (the falcon and commodore).

Pain in the Grass
17-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Hey Odin,,,hope those Jerry cans in the back don't stink up the inside of that fine rig !!!!!! ;) ;)

Easycareacres
17-06-2004, 07:14 PM
wow cadi make them, rather flashy to us.

swys
24-06-2004, 08:13 PM
I used to drive a Holden Rodeo which was an automatic. Autos are good because you can be having a ciggie while talking to someone on the phone and writing something down and not have to worry about changing gears. But I found pulling a trailer the brakes would wear out all the time because you can't use gears to slow down. I wrote that ute off in a crash a few months back and now drive a Nissan Navara ute which is manual and V6. Pulls my trailer so easy compared to my old ute and have given up smoking so don't mind changing gears. Both have aluminium trays too so they won't rust out if you put grass in the back.

whitsundaytattoo
07-07-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm looking at getting an isuzu npr 300 dual cab tipper. Ex council units go for aprox $30,000 with about 60,000ks (just run in and half price). All the gear can go in the cab and be covered by insurance and cheaper to run than my current au (feul guzzling) 1ton falcon.

mick
11-07-2004, 12:19 AM
This is what I drive. Tows the mower on trailer like its not even there. Pretty heavy on fuel but love the power. I was looking at getting something in 4x4 but I dont think the engines in any of the usual utes rate in comparison. The only 4x4 that I liked was the Nissan Navara 3.2? turbo deisel, wide wheels, bull bar, air con, p/steering and tray for $20000 brand new minus with the trade in.
The new Rodeos look the goods but there even worse on fuel so I've been told. I'm gonna hang onto my Rodeo for a while yet.

bradtez
30-07-2004, 10:39 PM
I recently bought a dual cab 4x4 Nissan Navara STI. Although it has a hefty price tag, the torque it has is un-believable. 3.0 turbo diesel, dont even know my 7x4 trailer is behind it. Can just tell when i have my K9-3 Dingo in tow.

Highly recommend it!!! (plus it looks nice :) )

Brad

Hondy
31-07-2004, 10:35 AM
I've got a KIA light truck which I bought 12 months ago new. Air/cond, power windows, central locking, CD player, 10ft 6 x 6ft alloy tray on the road for 25k. The size of tray is great, I can carry heaps of gear on the back with room to spare. It's not over powered though, 2.7L diesel which is cheap to run but not that quick.

Tony

Alex Callaghan
01-08-2004, 08:24 PM
This is what I drive. Tows the mower on trailer like its not even there. Pretty heavy on fuel but love the power. I was looking at getting something in 4x4 but I dont think the engines in any of the usual utes rate in comparison. The only 4x4 that I liked was the Nissan Navara 3.2? turbo deisel, wide wheels, bull bar, air con, p/steering and tray for $20000 brand new minus with the trade in.
The new Rodeos look the goods but there even worse on fuel so I've been told. I'm gonna hang onto my Rodeo for a while yet.

G'day Mick,
RE: your post here and a post form a while back re: utes on LS. You seemed like you where doughting the Turbo Diesels from the thread I read back on LS?

A T/D is the way to go for regular towing mate! You will notice the better efficiancy and a Turbo Diesel is truly at home when towing. As bradtez says the T/Ds have more torque than a bunch of old girls at a bowls night and the tourqe is what you want when towing, not necerserialy power! The Navara has the most power in it's class and is a good ute from what I've heard. 4x4 monthly magazine torture tested a Navara, Rodeo and a Courier (all T/D models) in last months issue and the Navara got the best wrap.
The only thing with the T/Ds is you will have to get used to the way they deliver torque. The torque delivery comes very sudenly when you hit boost and will make ya tray want to come out in front of you in the wet and unloaded. Had a few moments in the wet when I first got the courier. Apart from that you will really appreciat a T/D..............especeally when towing!

You can have a drive of mine when we go up to the mower show mate.

mick
02-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Hey Alex, yeah I drove the Nissan a little while ago and it did seem very good, no doubt but I dont always tow a trailer. Truth is, I like the power of the Rodeo. Just dont like the 2 wheel drive but I,ve got off road tyres on it now and it seems alot better. Besides, I'd rather get a mower instead sometime down the track. I was also looking at the Landcruisers, always wanted a big ol cruiser! hehe So many trucks to choose from, so little money! :i dunno: hehe

Easycareacres
02-08-2004, 04:18 PM
rooting in the back of the ute, a uteris oh man fill it with ice not the rodeo the holden get falcon

mick
02-08-2004, 05:09 PM
rooting in the back of the ute, a uteris oh man fill it with ice not the rodeo the holden get falcon

Get off the Scotch there mate! hehe :russ:

matder
08-08-2004, 02:03 PM
like you HONDY bought a KIA K 2700 mowers and grass bin on all of tray not the fastest but no more bloody trailers to tow.The unit is no longer than a 4x2 or 4x4 ute but with a10 ft tray heaps of room and cheaper 25000 on road

Steve Ladlow
08-08-2004, 11:07 PM
How much wieght do they carry?

Hondy
09-08-2004, 05:16 AM
The KIA has a payload of 1500kg. It looks like something out of astro boy but as a work truck I can't fault it.

Tony

Rod
09-08-2004, 07:04 AM
Now here's a payload.

Easycareacres
09-08-2004, 12:45 PM
haaa, but where do your workers put the mowers lol

Alex Callaghan
09-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Nice rig admiral! Can I suggest some heaveyer leaf springs in the rear though :i dunno:

Who needs a ZTR when ya have a Ute load of Jungle bunnies with scissors! :laughing:

mick
09-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Just looks a tad light in the front end mate! Good for wheelies though.

30 guys with old school hedge clippers, thats productivity!