PDA

View Full Version : help on charging clients

grantslawnmowing
20-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi, I've been a lurker on this site for a while and just figured out I could actually post...so here goes. I've been mowing lawns for about 6 months and started to branch out to garden work. How do I charge for digging holes, putting in flowering plants and covering with woodchip. Do I charge on an hourly rate or an overall rate and what would be reasonable? I am looking at 40 potplants and 2 full days. Thanks.

DavidS
20-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Is the job a new garden or a renovation of an older garden which requires some work before planting. If a new garden and all it needs is planting and mulching, quote by the job. If the garden needs work then I would quote by the hour as you don't know what is lerking below the surface. Have you pH tested the soil to make certain the plants are suitable for the soil. If the pH is wrong then you have to change it with either lime to raise it or sulphur to lower it.
Good luck with it, if you need any advise we are all here to try and help you

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
20-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Like DavidS said make sure if the ground is suitable. Especially if its like where I am. Clay, clay and more clay. You dont want to quote for 2 days work then find your've got a mother of a job getting the soil right or risk killing all the plants.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
20-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Could you tell us what the plants are as a matter of interest :wave-hi:

grantslawnmowing
20-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Thank you so much for such prompt replies. It is an existing garden with yellow and orange "clivea" flowering plants. The owner wanted me to fill in all the empty spaces. I just needed to dig the holes, put them in, and cover with woodchip. Thanks for the advice on soil testing - I honestly did not even think about that. I did a job a few weeks ago and totally undervalued myself, I charged $160 not knowing it would end up taking 2 days.

Islandhead
20-09-2009, 06:59 PM
I did a job a few weeks ago and totally undervalued myself, I charged $160 not knowing it would end up taking 2 days.

Yeah, think we've all done that at one time or another.

But you can learn from these little mistakes and from the job you undervalued you can gauge how much you should have charged for future reference.

As to how much to charge if recent post are anything to go by it could be anything from $30-$90 an hour.

Personally as it's not a huge job I would give a quote for the whole job rather than an hourly rate.

grantslawnmowing
20-09-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm also wondering how long it would take for a professional to plant 40 plants and cover with woodchip, I'm guessing because Im new and still figuring out efficient ways to do things, it will take me longer. Do you think that $400 is unreasonable?

lawngreen
20-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm also wondering how long it would take for a professional to plant 40 plants and cover with woodchip, I'm guessing because Im new and still figuring out efficient ways to do things, it will take me longer. Do you think that $400 is unreasonable?

Landscapers rates are per plant supplied and installed, usually around 2.5 to 3 times the wholesale cost of plants. So, if a plant costs $12 then charge customer $30-$36 per plant. Mind you, the professional landscapers also offer some sort of guarantee for say 3 months.

The Landscape Contractors Assoc of NSW have a Landscapers Bible that sets out rates for prices including shifting a pile of dirt from A to B.

The Local Gardener
20-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Thank you so much for such prompt replies. It is an existing garden with yellow and orange "clivea" flowering plants. The owner wanted me to fill in all the empty spaces. I just needed to dig the holes, put them in, and cover with woodchip. Thanks for the advice on soil testing - I honestly did not even think about that. I did a job a few weeks ago and totally undervalued myself, I charged $160 not knowing it would end up taking 2 days.

hello grantslawnmowing, clivea are a shade loving plant. They dont require lots of water and they thrive under tree canopies. Just have a crack mate and do your best. 9/10 most household soils are good enough. I wouldnt worry at all about ph levels etc. common sense and look at the landscape around you.

If it takes you 2 full days a touch under a grand should cover all expenses....

ian
20-09-2009, 09:36 PM
note also if clivea are not under a tree or in a shaded area they will burn in the sun. they love the shade and hate the sun

Redeye
20-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Don't plant 'em any deeper than they're at already,better a bit up than too deep .....wish I could get just under a g to plant 40 clivea's :cheer:

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
20-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Mate i do quite a few gardens and what i do is charge per hour for evey man on the job. I also add my oown cut onto what ever price the items i buy. Plants i often double the price and then add gst and thats what i charge the customer. Mulch i buy premium fine at 37 a cubic meter and sell it out to customer at 55 wood chip cost 72 and i sell it at 110 but its up to you and you have to judge by the customer if he has no idea and looks like he will pay a far bit then go for that if not keep it a bit lower.

grantslawnmowing
21-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Hey everyone,
Thank you for all your awesome advice - this is a great online community and you are all so helpful.

lawngreen
21-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Go to this website http://lcansw.com.au/cgi-bin/lcansw/shop2.html?id=wNUwCnA4 and you can purchase Edition 13 of the LCA's Schedule Of Rates.

Worth a look if you are serious about earning better money!

All the successful landscapers I know are not doing it tough!

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
21-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Go to this website http://lcansw.com.au/cgi-bin/lcansw/shop2.html?id=wNUwCnA4 and you can purchase Edition 13 of the LCA's Schedule Of Rates.

Worth a look if you are serious about earning better money!

All the successful landscapers I know are not doing it tough!

Do you have a copy? 230 is a little too much to shell out on a book i think. Would be nice if someone who had a copy could let us know what it says.

Bgs
22-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Do you have a copy? 230 is a little too much to shell out on a book i think. Would be nice if someone who had a copy could let us know what it says.

The qld one is probably more appropriate for you and is only 99 bucks.

http://www.landscapequeensland.com.au/database/files/5_Costing%20Guide%20Order%20form.pdf