PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a hedge trimmer

lucho56
22-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi all,
I'm on the hunt for a new hedge trimmer, I personally like Stihl but I just recently borrowed a Honda and it was a ripper, a bit on the heavy side though.
I basically shape conifers, Murrayas, Lilly Pillys, some diosmas and buxus, some hedges are knee level and some as high of 2m. My dilemma is stihl makes 2 types of machines (T=Trimming & R=Pruning) I don't know if getting the T type wont be strong enough to chew thicker brunches such bottle brushes or photinias and if I get the R type it will be difficult with the diosmas. Also don't know if length of the bar matters when shaping lolly pops. I know that the perfect machine is difficult to find but for now I cannot afford a dedicated trimmer for each job, maybe later on will consider a pole with changeable heads.
Reading the Honda specs the blade speed is 1,373rpm compare to Stihl HS81T=5,000rpm and HS81R=3,000rpm approximately, I have slightly inclination for the HS81T...would this be the right choice for what i do?
Luis

DavidS
23-09-2009, 06:13 AM
Luis,
I cant tell you about the Sthil, but I have a Tanaka THT 2520 hedger that is brillant for hedging and pruning. It would be the same as the Sthil 81R. It trims Diosma fine and Callestimons, the secret is to keep the blades sharp and to have a very close tolerance between the two blades. I set mine up with a 10 thou feeler gauge. If you do a lot of hedges and topiary then the weight factor is also very important.

63impala
23-09-2009, 08:29 AM
yOUR TANAKA IS 25CC WHERE THE STIHL HAS LOWER GEARING i THINK IT IS 22.5CC

Arfa Brayne
23-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I use a tanaka 2100. Good for heavy and light work untill the blades go blunt. Handles diosma fine. Done about 5 years work without problems.
Bought one of those hardware store cheapies when the blade bluntened last year ($100 a set for blades, $120 for the cheapie hedger). After a days work it was obviously wasted money. Heavy, flimsy, gutless.
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

geoff
23-09-2009, 12:30 PM
what can I say but shindaiwa..stainless steel blade cutters ....will even do diosmas..remember techniques has a lot to do with hedging as well....

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
23-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I brought one of those braumer ag ones off line and i must say to date i havent bee able to fault it and i have done quite a bit of hedging with it.

twin_cities_lawncare
23-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Our Shindaiwa hedging tool that fits on our multi-purpose base is good for high hedges, as it extends reach to a couple of metres. It also has an articulated feature so you can set whatever angle you need to work at.
If hedges have been left to go too feral, I would still use hand loppers to take out the really thick branches, so as not to ruin your powered unit.

DavidS
23-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Hey Arfa,

I get my blades professionally sharpened every winter, costs me $25.00 at the local Saw sharpening shop. He has sharpened it 6 times now and I still have heaps of meat on the blades. Why buy new blades when you can get them sharpened.

David

Fred's mowing
23-09-2009, 09:02 PM
The multi tool hedging attachments as Twin cities pointed out is the way to go. By using various length shafts & changing the cutting head you will have many advantages. You can basically have 3 different sized hedge cutters using the one motor.
The multi tool sized hedge cutter will give u much better balance as your grip will be far wider , spreading the load. It will also(using the longer shafts) allow you to see the big picture instead of being cramped up close to your work.
The only advantage of the short hedge cutters is in confined spaces, where they come into their own.
As 4 brands, the debate will go on 4ever :russ: .
Cheers Dean.

Stripes
23-09-2009, 09:11 PM
The multi tool hedging attachments as Twin cities pointed out is the way to go. By using various length shafts & changing the cutting head you will have many advantages. You can basically have 3 different sized hedge cutters using the one motor.

Just remember though, if that motor breaks down you have no machine to use and using it for all different jobs will mean it will last much less than say three dedicated hedgers of different sizes. If you have seperate machines you can get by if one breaks down. I used to use my pole hedger for 90% of trimming work, only used the small one for very low hedges or tight spots.

Fred's mowing
23-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Just remember though, if that motor breaks down you have no machine to use and using it for all different jobs will mean it will last much less than say three dedicated hedgers of different sizes. If you have seperate machines you can get by if one breaks down. I used to use my pole hedger for 90% of trimming work, only used the small one for very low hedges or tight spots.
Got 6 of em ;) .
Cheers Dean.

Stripes
23-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Got 6 of em ;) .
Cheers Dean.

The noobs don't! :p

lucho56
23-09-2009, 09:29 PM
yOUR TANAKA IS 25CC WHERE THE STIHL HAS LOWER GEARING i THINK IT IS 22.5CC

Yes, you are right 22.7cc against 25cc, now start to look around for Tanaka or Shindawas :confused: I guess I cannot go wrong with Jap engines :rolleyes:
Is there any one who can tell me where to get Tanaka trimmer in Sydney? Shindawas are easy to find, I rang a few places and no luck at the moment, don't want to try online stores until I actually get the feel of the machine.
I found quiet attractive the handle rotation feature in the Honda, how do you guys find it when trimming up stroke with a fixed handle.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
23-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Yes, you are right 22.7cc against 25cc, now start to look around for Tanaka or Shindawas :confused: I guess I cannot go wrong with Jap engines :rolleyes:
Is there any one who can tell me where to get Tanaka trimmer in Sydney? Shindawas are easy to find, I rang a few places and no luck at the moment, don't want to try online stores until I actually get the feel of the machine.
I found quiet attractive the handle rotation feature in the Honda, how do you guys find it when trimming up stroke with a fixed handle.

The braumer ag i has has a rotational handle as well. The honda machines are good i have used them with my pass boss but when i went to buy one the guy at the store said to me mate feel the weight there heavy. It was then that i remember why i used to hate hedging and now think its great. That and the fact people will pay a fortune for it.

DavidS
24-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Luis,

Try this link, its to Parklands the distributor of Tanaka, just click on left side the brand of machine you want eg Tanaka, State and then Suburb, it will tell you who is your closes Dealer
http://www.parklands.net/DealerLocator.aspx?Dept_ID=16

Tanaka has a rotational handle too but is a lot lighter than a honda. I have a pole hedger to, I use it as a pole saw or hedger as I have a Tanaka whippy, so mine wont wear out as quick.

63impala
24-09-2009, 07:46 AM
How do you go about putting the blade back on don't the have to be done with a torq rench?

Hey Arfa,

I get my blades professionally sharpened every winter, costs me $25.00 at the local Saw sharpening shop. He has sharpened it 6 times now and I still have heaps of meat on the blades. Why buy new blades when you can get them sharpened.

David
:i dunno:

ian
24-09-2009, 12:15 PM
no you don't have to use a torq wrench i just use normal spanners and allan keys when i have taken mine apart
and arfa brain where did you get a price of $100 a set for blades last time i queried the price i was told about $150 per blade not per set
david you may need to buy new blades if they grab a branch wrong and bend as even if there straightened there never as good again and will bend in the weakened spot again

DavidS
24-09-2009, 07:24 PM
I have never bent one yet, (touch wood) It takes me about 15 minutes to pull apart and and about 1/2 hour to put back together. Plenty of grease,spanners, allen keys and a 10 thou feeler gauge.

lucho56
25-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Luis,

Try this link, its to Parklands the distributor of Tanaka, just click on left side the brand of machine you want eg Tanaka, State and then Suburb, it will tell you who is your closes Dealer
http://www.parklands.net/DealerLocator.aspx?Dept_ID=16

Tanaka has a rotational handle too but is a lot lighter than a honda. I have a pole hedger to, I use it as a pole saw or hedger as I have a Tanaka whippy, so mine wont wear out as quick.
Thanks for the link David, I found a few around my area.

lucho56
25-09-2009, 02:07 PM
I went to a couple of Tanaka distributors this morning and none of then had trimmer in stock, I needed one badly for tomorrow so I end up buying a Shindaiwa, I've done it! Hope I get to like it.
Thanks guys for all your help

geoff
25-09-2009, 02:11 PM
I went to a couple of Tanaka distributors this morning and none of then had trimmer in stock, I needed one badly for tomorrow so I end up buying a Shindaiwa, I've done it! Hope I get to like it.
Thanks guys for all your help
be very interested in your feed back , we have been using shindy for years and has a great finsih and very reliable...

Andy B
25-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Sorry Lucho56 this has comment won't help with your initial question but thought I'd say it anyway.

What do ya need a hedger for? I passed a fella today doing a hedge with a bent shaft snipper. Thought I'd check it out this afternoon on my way back... I reckon my in-experienced hands and my pope hedger would do a neater job but probably not in the time he did it. :)
What's more important? He and his off sider where doing a total yard clean up and overall job looked good.

geoff
25-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Sorry Lucho56 this has comment won't help with your initial question but thought I'd say it anyway.

What do ya need a hedger for? I passed a fella today doing a hedge with a bent shaft snipper. Thought I'd check it out this afternoon on my way back... I reckon my in-experienced hands and my pope hedger would do a neater job but probably not in the time he did it. :)
What's more important? He and his off sider where doing a total yard clean up and overall job looked good.
i would say that was bluey :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: he did a fab clean up ...wouldnt be using a whipper for that hedging , hes to professional for that trick,although have seen many contractor try it and it looks sh1t house ...always use the right quality equipment for the job

Andy B
25-09-2009, 05:25 PM
i would say that was bluey :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: he did a fab clean up ...wouldnt be using a whipper for that hedging , hes to professional for that trick,although have seen many contractor try it and it looks sh1t house ...always use the right quality equipment for the job

Poor Bluey, being picked on :) Wonder how they'll do the top when it gets to the height the client wants with a snipper? :)

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
25-09-2009, 05:48 PM

When my old hedger broke down i tried this once after half destroying a couple of branches I told them they would have to wait till my new one arrived. I do use a snipper to clean up the bottom branches but i take them inside where it cant really be seen.

gcsmow
28-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Hi all,
I'm on the hunt for a new hedge trimmer, I personally like Stihl but I just recently borrowed a Honda and it was a ripper, a bit on the heavy side though.
I basically shape conifers, Murrayas, Lilly Pillys, some diosmas and buxus, some hedges are knee level and some as high of 2m. My dilemma is stihl makes 2 types of machines (T=Trimming & R=Pruning) I don't know if getting the T type wont be strong enough to chew thicker brunches such bottle brushes or photinias and if I get the R type it will be difficult with the diosmas. Also don't know if length of the bar matters when shaping lolly pops. I know that the perfect machine is difficult to find but for now I cannot afford a dedicated trimmer for each job, maybe later on will consider a pole with changeable heads.
Reading the Honda specs the blade speed is 1,373rpm compare to Stihl HS81T=5,000rpm and HS81R=3,000rpm approximately, I have slightly inclination for the HS81T...would this be the right choice for what i do?
Luis
I bought a 2 stroke Shindaiwa combi tool with an articulating pole hedge trimmer, it is absolutely brilliant, I have given it hell over three years abused and neglected it and it has performed faultlessly. If you want to save your back, save time and not have to bother with step ladders all the time get a pole hedge trimmer.