PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmowing business a healthy way to live

administrator
13-10-2009, 08:11 AM
I found this on here .

Hi guys...

This might help a bit....For a few days over summer I wore a heart rate monitor to guage how many calories I used mowing lawns.

It worked out an an average of approx. 350 - 400 calories for an average lawn which took around half an hour. That was going at a good pace and using a PUSH mower!! (not one of them self propelled jobs)....Half of the energy used (i.e. 50% of say 400 cals was burnt from fat) So if you do an average of say ten jobs a day you would burn in the vicinity of 5000 calories....

Given that most adult males consume about 2500 cals per day from food (not including beer...there's probably another 10,000 cals there with me anyway) you would expect lawn mowing would be the perfect way to lose weight and get fit...

Love to know how Lawn mowing has changed your health since you started .

Andy B
13-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Being an at home Dad, and having part time business has allowed me to get physically fit again and because it's like learning a new art I figure it's great for the brain too.

lawngreen
13-10-2009, 08:52 AM
I found this on here .

Hi guys...

This might help a bit....For a few days over summer I wore a heart rate monitor to guage how many calories I used mowing lawns.

It worked out an an average of approx. 350 - 400 calories for an average lawn which took around half an hour. That was going at a good pace and using a PUSH mower!! (not one of them self propelled jobs)....Half of the energy used (i.e. 50% of say 400 cals was burnt from fat) So if you do an average of say ten jobs a day you would burn in the vicinity of 5000 calories....

Given that most adult males consume about 2500 cals per day from food (not including beer...there's probably another 10,000 cals there with me anyway) you would expect lawn mowing would be the perfect way to lose weight and get fit...

Now that you have stopped mowing, how much weight have you put on?? Come on, tell the truth now!

Glenofcarwoola
13-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Most of my friends in Canberra have office jobs, and I have had a couple of them say to me that I am lucky that i have a physical job because alot of people in Canberra have to go to the gym after work just to stay fit.

Iv'e noticed that I am starting to get a fair bit of hedging work lately and the first few sent me home with really sore shoulders. Had a bloke approach me yesterday to ask about some hedging, and when I told him that it was $60 p/h for hedging he almost fell backward. I asked him to hold the pole hedge trimmer that I was using and after about 1 min he gave it back to me and asked for my details for his sons yards.

Sandgroper
13-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Can't say i hsave lost any weight lawnmowing, mind you i use self propelled machines :) (i put 5 kilos on over winter)

ian
13-10-2009, 09:14 AM
500 calories per lawn damn that means i've got to stop eating so much and i should loose weight :)

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
13-10-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm 5' 11" and 73kg

Since I started in this business I have lost my gut, down to the last notch on my belt and starting to look like I race in the tour de france.

My wife reckons if I dont start eating more I'm going to waste away.

I'm one of those people that have trouble putting on weight.

Ps One thing I like, I"m 39 years old and I haven't had stomach muscles like this since I was a teen :p

lawngreen
13-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm 5' 11" and 73kg

Since I started in this business I have lost my gut, down to the last notch on my belt and starting to look like I race in the tour de france.

My wife reckons if I dont start eating more I'm going to waste away.

I'm one of those people that have trouble putting on weight.

Ps One thing I like, I"m 39 years old and I haven't had stomach muscles like this since I was a teen :p

I hate people like you!

On this issue of obesity, how do make yourself look thin? Stand next to a fat guy!

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
13-10-2009, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=lawngreen]I hate people like you!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Trust me your not the only one. I've learnt not to make that comment in a room full of women. ;frosty;

Christine Wharton
13-10-2009, 01:18 PM
:wave-hi: :wave-hi: It's not just physical health, but mental health that can benefit from the business we're in. Activity produces endorphins which is a feel-good thing, and I know I enjoy getting out-and-about and doing things (c.f. the relative boredom of this year's quiet winter months, when I was more prone to eat and put on extra kgs, which is not healthy for me, I know).
Ah well, time for me to get up from my comfy chair and do some paid exercise - a mega-hour session cleaning up a feral property down to road so it can go on the market (Will be a good one for before -> after photos ;) ) Yeah for real estate agent referrals! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Stripes
13-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Can't say i hsave lost any weight lawnmowing, mind you i use self propelled machines :) (i put 5 kilos on over winter)

x2 :o

I always put on weight over Winter as I have a huge appetite which stays with me over Winter, but I don't burn off what I'm eating. I normally eat really healthy for a month or so in Spring and burn off a bit of my gut, but not so this year! There is still time though.

Coke is my biggest enemy.

Sandgroper
13-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Delis are my down fall,,always one some where as i go past,,easy to pull over and get a quick drink,chocololate,,pie etc

administrator
13-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I think we call them Milk Bars in Victoria .

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
13-10-2009, 07:02 PM
I found this on here .

Hi guys...

After 8 years of doing security where i ate mainly junk food, drank lots of free alchole and and hardly ever moved i put on quite a bit of a gut and since mowing it is slowly going away. maybe if i gave up drinking it would go away but then what sort of life would that be. :laughing: :laughing:

redbackmowing
15-10-2009, 10:30 PM
mowing may have health benefits but i wonder what effect the lawnmower, brushcutter etc... emissions have on me in the long term??

Sandgroper
16-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Good point Redback , still its a better life style than sitting in an office i guess.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
16-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I think we call them Milk Bars in Victoria .

Well there is some Deli's around with some good stuff if your into it

Milk bars don't compare when it comes to food :)

Bluey
16-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Hands up who can remember the Milky Bar Kid. If you can you are older than dirt.

lawngreen
16-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Hands up who can remember the Milky Bar Kid. If you can you are older than dirt.

Showing your AGE, old boy!

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
16-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm.....Milky bars

I wish they would make them as big as a family size block of chocolate :rolleyes:

Bluey
16-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Showing your AGE, old boy!

Older than dirt ;)

geoff1969
16-10-2009, 07:24 PM
yeh remember them the milky bar kids adverts and my favorites the wagon wheel adds and picnic bar adds with the indians etc :laughing:

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-10-2009, 07:36 PM
yeh remember them the milky bar kids adverts and my favorites the wagon wheel adds and picnic bar adds with the indians etc :laughing:

I remember the milky bar kid but not the others. Im only 29

geoff1969
16-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I remember the milky bar kid but not the others. Im only 29

ha ha all good old adds , back when was kid :bike:
only 29 .... ive got 10 more on my clock

Arfa Brayne
17-02-2010, 09:45 PM
mowing may have health benefits but i wonder what effect the lawnmower, brushcutter etc... emissions have on me in the long term??

Dunno about the emissions, but the vibration on the joints and the industrial hearing loss aren't all that great.

Mrs HMS
18-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Oh I remember them! Guess I'm older than dirt too. :cool:

My eldest came home with a wagon wheel a while ago...damn I swear they used to be about twice the size as they are now.

Bluey
18-02-2010, 06:54 PM
They were Joanne. Everything is downsized now days :i dunno:

geoff1969
18-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Oh I remember them! Guess I'm older than dirt too. :cool:

My eldest came home with a wagon wheel a while ago...damn I swear they used to be about twice the size as they are now.

thay where thay used to be huge now there realy small :sad: favorite though where the choclate royals , in primary school friday lunch order day = pie with sauce or sausage roll and choclate royal used to put your order on a brown paper bag with money in it put it in the basket in class room lunch monitor take it to canteen and come back with full of stuff ....

Bluey
18-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Now this will show how old you all are. Can you remember getting a milk issue at smoko as a kid and can you remember banana flavoured milk.

Older than dirt!!

Arfa Brayne
18-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Yeah Bluey - the canteen ladies would make Milo ice blocks from the leftover milk. (You reckon we might be related ?? - just kidding)

While we're on it - what about "Sunnyboy" and "Razz" iceblocks - used to be at least half an hour of numb lips and brainfreeze teeth to get through one of these beauties. That is, once you got it open!
Sherbet bombs
Rainbow balls
Big charlie bubble gum
and footy cards.

No wonder I started working at 11 years old !!!!

geoff1969
18-02-2010, 07:36 PM
hi bluey no we didnt get the milk issue but remember the big ms also egg flip and the blue berry one and milk was proper milk glass bottle with cream on top .

and as for the suuny boys arfa brayne yeh hot days excellent
and the big red chewing gum ha ha love all that stuff and the old four n twenty pie , coke cola , big m adverts and after the footy season and footy card = bang bring on the yo yos ha ha

Arfa Brayne
18-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Still love bananna milk !
The one I really miss is a right rare treat - Streets "Hazelnut roll" icecream (mid 70's) - dunno why they stopped making it, it was beautifull - something about carcinogens or the like.

Bluey
18-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Ahhhhhh.......sherbert bombs. I loved them.

Bluey
18-02-2010, 07:56 PM
And 20 cents used to give you a big bag of lollies you couldn't jump over.

Bluey
18-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Now how about this one.
Cracker Night and the dreaded cane bomb. I remember this thing a real small kid. Only the men were allowed near it and we all had to get well back when it was lit. When it went off there was this god almighty flash and a bag that made your ears ring. It even left a hole in the ground.

Cracker night was the thing that made me join the Navy. It kindled in me a liking for all things that went bang. It is something I still have this day.

Arfa Brayne
18-02-2010, 08:31 PM
And 20 cents used to give you a big bag of lollies you couldn't jump over.

All we are talking about here - and glanced at the topic for the thread = "a healthy way to live"

Wouldn't ya love to show todays kids a good old fashioned cracker night. John Williamson does a real good song about cracker night too if you've ever heard it. Don't remember "cane bombs" , we had "thunders" - long as your middle finger and fat as your thumb.

Bluey
18-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Yes I have heard the song and love it. Bungers, double bungers, h'penney bungers and throw downs. Not to mention the biggest sky rockets. To a kid it was wnderland.

Now days all they have is sparklers. I hate hairy arm pitted tree huggers. The killed our way of life.

Fred's mowing
18-02-2010, 09:03 PM
You guys have forgotten all the good stuff, like gettin a lucky with your sunnyboy or razz, & they werent anywhere near as good as a GLUG!
On guyforks night, throwing a penny bunger,waiting for it to go off, thinking it failed, pikin it up.........................then :o .
And at school being the milk monitor. Your job was to go outside to the crate off milk bottles with the tinfoil tops that had been sitting in the sun for the last few hours, then get your LEAD pencil out & poke a hole in the top so you could push a straw in.
Anyone else remember being told to go & lay in the sun with no shirt so you could peel. Theory was that your second layer of skin would be tougher & u,d be right for the summer :eek: .
Oh those were the days!
Cheers Dean.

geoff1969
18-02-2010, 09:09 PM
yeh cracker night used to be fun used to get 5 / 10 bucks ride bike up to local milk bar or newsagent buy a big bag full - penny bangers etc :laughing: spend all night blowing stuff up :laughing: all the kids in the street would be runing up and down the road all night blowing **** up and if we ran out of crackers we would then all run inside and get the air guns out and start shooting **** :laughing:

geoff1969
18-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Anyone else remember being told to go & lay in the sun with no shirt so you could peel. Theory was that your second layer of skin would be tougher & u,d be right for the summer .
Oh those were the days

yep and at school 30 /40 degree days playing sport the teams where either shirts on or shirts off , and as for sun screen wtf is that all the oldies would rub oil on ya so you would burn to put a little colour into you skin :laughing:

redbackmowing
18-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah Bluey - the canteen ladies would make Milo ice blocks from the leftover milk. (You reckon we might be related ?? - just kidding)

While we're on it - what about "Sunnyboy" and "Razz" iceblocks - used to be at least half an hour of numb lips and brainfreeze teeth to get through one of these beauties. That is, once you got it open!
Sherbet bombs
Rainbow balls
Big charlie bubble gum
and footy cards.

No wonder I started working at 11 years old !!!!

those sunnyboys were good & loved those big charlie bubblegum.
i remember the nswrl footy cards. eastern suburbs(roosters) Russell Fairfax was hard to find. balmains Percy Night was another good one.

Arfa Brayne
19-02-2010, 11:00 AM
yeh cracker night used to be fun used to get 5 / 10 bucks ride bike up to local milk bar or newsagent buy a big bag full - penny bangers etc :laughing: spend all night blowing stuff up :laughing: all the kids in the street would be runing up and down the road all night blowing **** up and if we ran out of crackers we would then all run inside and get the air guns out and start shooting **** :laughing:

We just used to get .22 rimfire or shotgun cartridges an sit em on top of the slow combustion stove. Everyone crouched under the kitchen table pissin emselves laughing, or wearing saucepans on thier head.

Bloody bubblewrap/playstation society of today doesn't know how much fun they miss out on.
Thumbs of iron and bodies like custard.

geoff1969
19-02-2010, 12:23 PM
We just used to get .22 rimfire or shotgun cartridges an sit em on top of the slow combustion stove. Everyone crouched under the kitchen table pissin emselves laughing, or wearing saucepans on thier head.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
ferrets now thay where fun spend the day out in the padocks terorising rabbits

Wattle GC
19-02-2010, 12:41 PM
cowboys and Indians with slug guns..You know when you got shot that's for sure..Steal dynamite from the rail sheds and use them as "expanding bait' in the local river.. Got some trout..and Platypus and turtles and anything else that happen to swim by..Hell of a noise though.

Bluey
19-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Bloody bubblewrap/playstation society of today doesn't know how much fun they miss out on.
Thumbs of iron and bodies like custard.

I am with you on this one AB. Ever chucked a can of baked beans in a campfire and watched the results.

What p*sses me off is the current society make big of being Aussie but in my book they are lilly livered sheilas. What made the ANZAC tradition were blokes who liked to live life at little precariously, loved a beer or ten and a fight but could pick the bloke up they had just knocked out and have a good night with him.

To me the old Australia is lost and we are being taken over by a nation of wowsers and pooft*ers. If they found another planet to colonise I would be the first to sign up.

Arfa Brayne
19-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Well said Bluey.
Tried to think of something to add, but you sewed it up nicely.

redbackmowing
19-02-2010, 07:23 PM
all this political correctness bs gives me the ****$. can't say boo or have a bit of harmless fun without someone saying you can't do that... look at the uproar with eddie maguire & mick malloy with their *** comment at the winter olympics. please - if every ba$tard harden up a bit it will be a better place.

Bluey
19-02-2010, 07:37 PM
At least there are 3 true blue Aussies here. Makes me feel a whole lot better.

Bluey
19-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Q: Whats the definition of an Aussie
A: A blue redback with arfa brayne

;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty;

Bluey
19-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Speaking of true blue put your hand up if your cried when John Williamson sang it for Steve Irwin. I was doing alright until they packed up his ute. I reckon I outdid the missus that day. The only other day I cry is Anzac Day. Gets me every time. I do also cry went hit in the nuts by a rock of the whippy but that is different.

redbackmowing
19-02-2010, 07:58 PM
if anyone thought p.c. was bad in oz what about the poor canadians :russ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBWAjn2a3rA

gotta love kevin ''bloody'' wilson

Arfa Brayne
23-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Speaking of true blue put your hand up if your cried when John Williamson sang it for Steve Irwin. I was doing alright until they packed up his ute. I reckon I outdid the missus that day. The only other day I cry is Anzac Day. Gets me every time. I do also cry went hit in the nuts by a rock of the whippy but that is different.

John Williamson has a couple that I have to listen to in private too Bluey. I've tried to explain Anzac day to my 4 boys, but they are fed so much twisted perspective and political hype from the media and school, that what I tell them seems like a different subject. I had the insight from "uncles" and mentors who served in the Jungles of WW2 and treated me like a son. They told me thier stories. There is no glory in war. I get choked up trying to get the kids to understand.
My dad served in Korea. He won't march, He won't wear the medals, He won't talk about it. If mentioned, he just goes quiet and leaves the room.

Redback - political correctness is no more than being told what you can think, say or believe. It does not belong here in Australia, it is not part of the Australian way of being. It is only for spineless, mindless, wimps and sheep.
And yeah - Kevin Bloody Wilson 10/10, but not with the missus around.

Bluey
23-02-2010, 08:36 PM
John Williamson has a couple that I have to listen to in private too Bluey. I've tried to explain Anzac day to my 4 boys, but they are fed so much twisted perspective and political hype from the media and school, that what I tell them seems like a different subject. I had the insight from "uncles" and mentors who served in the Jungles of WW2 and treated me like a son. They told me thier stories. There is no glory in war. I get choked up trying to get the kids to understand.
My dad served in Korea. He won't march, He won't wear the medals, He won't talk about it. If mentioned, he just goes quiet and leaves the room.

Redback - political correctness is no more than being told what you can think, say or believe. It does not belong here in Australia, it is not part of the Australian way of being. It is only for spineless, mindless, wimps and sheep.

Try and get your boys to go to a Dawn Service. My daughter who is 21 now comes with me every year. She is a true blue as you or me. Even has a southern cross on her car. If you know any young soldiers get them to have a talk to your lads it might have a different effect coming from someone not much older than them. Take them to the War Memorial in Canberra. That will open thier eyes.

I truly think we will come full circle with the whole PC thing. People are really getting tired of it and are rebelling against it. Many people are seeing it to be the mind control it really is. I got an email today that was written by a woman dealing with terrorism. It was a beauty.

Redlandsguy
07-09-2010, 03:19 PM

Mate if you want to explain ANZAC to them see if you can show them this memorial stone which is placed outside of The Nek cemetary at Gallipoli. http://www.anzacsite.gov.au/2visiting/graves/g_thenek.htmlwhere out of 321 graves, only 10 have any sort of marking.

Having been there it takes away any thought of glory and makes you wonder at the bravery and sheer bloody courage of the 2nd and 3rd lines that went over the top there. Add to that that these guys were not ID'd because they lay, untouched by anyone, until 1919 when the War Graves people moved in and you start to get a perspective of the war. I don't in anyway belittle the current soldier but when you think about the losses incurred in WW I on small raids, let alone full scale battles, you wonder how todays polies would cope with the screams that would come from the public and the press as a result of the utter waste and carnage. When you walk ANZAC and the battlefields and graveyards of France and Belgium you quickly begin to understand the impact of war.

Bluey
07-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Mate if you want to explain ANZAC to them see if you can show them this memorial stone which is placed outside of The Nek cemetary at Gallipoli. http://www.anzacsite.gov.au/2visiting/graves/g_thenek.htmlwhere out of 321 graves, only 10 have any sort of marking.

Having been there it takes away any thought of glory and makes you wonder at the bravery and sheer bloody courage of the 2nd and 3rd lines that went over the top there. Add to that that these guys were not ID'd because they lay, untouched by anyone, until 1919 when the War Graves people moved in and you start to get a perspective of the war. I don't in anyway belittle the current soldier but when you think about the losses incurred in WW I on small raids, let alone full scale battles, you wonder how todays polies would cope with the screams that would come from the public and the press as a result of the utter waste and carnage. When you walk ANZAC and the battlefields and graveyards of France and Belgium you quickly begin to understand the impact of war.

And this is where our government could really do some good. Each one of those soldiers could probably be identified by DNA. They should stop wasting money on giving it away to other countries and dole bludgers and whingers in this one and spend it here to identify these blokes and give them a decent burial that they deserve.

The only reason the population didn't kick up all hell back then was they were kept in the dark by our leadership and the bloody poms about how many we were losing and why. It would be a different story now days.

It rankles me that there are some many unidentified soldiers out there as a result of these wars. The are are lots more who were never found as well.

My wife's 2 great uncles ( they were brothers) were both killed at Bullecourt on the same day and were never ever found. They have no graves like a hell of a lot more blokes who went the same way. It must have been tragic news for their loved ones and was made even worse because the oldest had a son who he had never seen who died back home in Australia about a month before him.

There are many more tales like this from all conflicts we have been in so if anyone doubts the need for ANZAC day they should just think of these blokes who never made it back.

Redeye
07-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I sometimes think our greatest enemy in WW1 was Lord Bloody Kitchener - a true bastard

Sandgroper
07-09-2010, 03:57 PM
True Blue,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rdyVP95XiE&feature=related

Anjaryan
07-09-2010, 04:16 PM
One of my clients has been in respite so his wife can have a break (mid 80's) , anyway i turned up there to mow their lawns last week and here he was sitting on the back veranda beer in hand, I asked why he was home early? He has been kicked out!!

Apparently they where having a quiz night and one of the questions was what does ANZAC stand for? well no one could answer it... and after a couple of minutes my client .. ex airmen stood up and let loose, his wife had to come and pick him up the next day.

Good on him i reckon

fitternturnercook
07-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Now how about this one.
Cracker Night and the dreaded cane bomb. I remember this thing a real small kid. Only the men were allowed near it and we all had to get well back when it was lit. When it went off there was this god almighty flash and a bag that made your ears ring. It even left a hole in the ground.

Cracker night was the thing that made me join the Navy. It kindled in me a liking for all things that went bang. It is something I still have this day.
what about choo choo bars , you would not have pulled the bike pump apart and used it as a barrell , straitened out the fuse droped it down the pump droped a marbel down and lit the fuse and shot out street lights.nor made bolt bombs with matches.

geoff1969
07-09-2010, 07:59 PM
what about choo choo bars , you would not have pulled the bike pump apart and used it as a barrell , straitened out the fuse droped it down the pump droped a marbel down and lit the fuse and shot out street lights.nor made bolt bombs with matches.
\
sounds like you lived in the same street as me mate hahahaha and what about the old postie rubber band and the u shaped wire fencing nails ... you knew when you got shot in the arse with one of them from the enemy who lived around the corner ...

Redeye
07-09-2010, 08:09 PM
ah memories...slug gun wars, slingshots

Bluey
08-09-2010, 07:58 AM
you would not have pulled the bike pump apart and used it as a barrell , straitened out the fuse droped it down the pump droped a marbel down and lit the fuse and shot out street lights.nor made bolt bombs with matches.

Nah we went one better than that. Length of 1 inch pipe with a threaded cap at the end with a hole drilled in it. Stick the fuse of a bunger through the hole and screw the cap on. Drop the marble down the pipe and tamp it down with a wad of cloth. Light and shoot. We even had sights.

Redlandsguy
08-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I sometimes think our greatest enemy in WW1 was Lord Bloody Kitchener - a true bastard

No Kitchener was OK and besides he died in 1916 when the cruiser he was on was sunk, so he was only around for part of the war. Churchill is another matter, came up with and forced through the madcap Dardenelles scheme in WWI then wasted ANZAC's in a hare brained half planned Greek campaign before trying to high jack the 6th div to save India when they were desperatly needed here in WWII.

Redlandsguy
08-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Nah we went one better than that. Length of 1 inch pipe with a threaded cap at the end with a hole drilled in it. Stick the fuse of a bunger through the hole and screw the cap on. Drop the marble down the pipe and tamp it down with a wad of cloth. Light and shoot. We even had sights.

We had a 6 foot length of 2"pipe that we jammed one end into the ground. Double fused a threepenny bunger which was lit and rammed it down with a D cell battery on top. Could get 150 yards range without muvh elevation. Weren't game to go for maximum distance.

Bluey
08-09-2010, 07:43 PM
A man after my own breed.

Redeye
08-09-2010, 09:07 PM
No Kitchener was OK and besides he died in 1916 when the cruiser he was on was sunk, so he was only around for part of the war. Churchill is another matter, came up with and forced through the madcap Dardenelles scheme in WWI then wasted ANZAC's in a hare brained half planned Greek campaign before trying to high jack the 6th div to save India when they were desperatly needed here in WWII.

Kitchener was ok if you were a pom, deadly for ANZACs

ian
08-09-2010, 09:46 PM

Gallipoli casualties aprox 11,000 anzac dead and 21,000 uk so i don't think he was that good for the pom's either
but i believe Gallipoli was Churchills brain wave

Zweedo
08-09-2010, 11:31 PM

It was Kitchener who made the decision to pull out of the Dardenelles after he had made an inspection tour of the landings, including a tour of the front line at Anzac Cove. The Diggers seemed to be impressed by him, from what I have read.

Churchill is the man to blame for the Dardenelles. You can also throw in Greece, Crete and the 8th Division landing in Singapore just in time to be captured by the Japanese in WWII at his door as well.