PDA

View Full Version : Lawn "Weeds in Newly laid Sir Walter

wombat
19-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Used an under turf soil that was obviously crap (should've went the sandy one!).
Three weeks on and there is weeds taking over everywhere!!
What can I use to get rid of them, and how long should I wait till I can do it without buggering the whole thing.
Spent three hours hand weeding yesterday and you wouldn't have known it..... :(

lawngreen
19-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Used an under turf soil that was obviously crap (should've went the sandy one!).
Three weeks on and there is weeds taking over everywhere!!
What can I use to get rid of them, and how long should I wait till I can do it without buggering the whole thing.
Spent three hours hand weeding yesterday and you wouldn't have known it..... :(

Ahh, I love these dilemmas!!!

Now my friend, you need to get yourself some Bin-Die (from Chemspray at Bunnings, or the commercial quantity of same active ingredient called Bromoxynil.

Make sure you mix up correct amount for the desired area. Spray till all used up.

Fertilise with Scotts Lawn Builder (or equivalent NPK).

If that is all too hard, then call us. Happy to give you a quote if you're in the Sydney region.

haireyscarie
19-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Ahh, I love these dilemmas!!!

Now my friend, you need to get yourself some Bin-Die (from Chemspray at Bunnings, or the commercial quantity of same active ingredient called Bromoxynil.

Make sure you mix up correct amount for the desired area. Spray till all used up.

Fertilise with Scotts Lawn Builder (or equivalent NPK).

If that is all too hard, then call us. Happy to give you a quote if you're in the Sydney region.
no dont use bindi
as it will kill the sir walter
you have to use a buffalo marster or 1 that is safe for buffalo

DavidS
19-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Just make certain that the Bindi Killer only has Bromoxynil as the active ingredent. This will kill most of the weeds and not kill the buffalo

Glenofcarwoola
19-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Great advice guys. Are there any types of grass that might be affected by Bromoxynil that I should be looking out for? Will it kill most broad leaved weeds? and how much will any overspray affect garden plants?

ian
19-10-2009, 08:30 PM
i believe it should be ok on most if not all grasses, and yes and heavy over spray will effect plants so try to only spray the grass. as the buffalo is newly laid i would probably try a test patch first to be on the safe side

wombat
20-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. I got some Barmac Bindi killer which was recommended. I will spot spray a test patch and see before doing the lot.

lawngreen
20-10-2009, 02:15 PM
no dont use bindi

Sorry to disappoint you, but you are wrong.

Bin-Die (by Chemspray) is safe for buffalo as the active ingredients do not contain Dicamba. Dicamba is the active present in KleenLawn (by Chemspray), and is not safe to use on buffalo turf.

Have a look at http://www.amgrow.com.au/products/weed_cs_bindie.htm for info that backs me up.

Trust me, we do this day in, day out!

wombat
20-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Went to Bunnings for some other things and the chemspray(bin-die), buffalo master for weeds and the one I bought are all the same formula...the chemspray was the best price easily.(damn! :rolleyes: )

NLALM
20-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Gerry you gotta laugh sometimes mate

lawngreen
20-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Gerry you gotta laugh sometimes mate

That's right Mark, but I wish people would checks the facts!

administrator
20-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Yes Gerry i was surprised to lol .

You do it all day every day so my money was on you and Mark lol .

haireyscarie
20-10-2009, 04:56 PM
were did i say that this was a fact.
i did not
:i dunno:

haireyscarie
20-10-2009, 05:02 PM
wrong brand of bindi killer mate that i used before it was not from(Chemspray)
so
there ya go
and i use kamba on my lawn,
and buffalo master on the place next door to me(what do you use and were can i get in 5 and 10 lts)
cheers

lawngreen
20-10-2009, 05:10 PM
so
there ya go
and buffalo master on the place next door to me(what do you use and were can i get in 5 and 10 lts)
cheers

For the commercial brands and larger quantities (therefore, much cheaper per litre of chemical) go to www.GlobeAustralia.com.au and tell them Lawn Green sent you.

wombat
20-10-2009, 05:40 PM
so
there ya go
cheers
I went to Globe up here on the GC and they recommended I go with the bindi killer as they believe the kamba is too hard on the buffalo.

haireyscarie
20-10-2009, 08:41 PM
I went to Globe up here on the GC and they recommended I go with the bindi killer as they believe the kamba is too hard on the buffalo.
sorry i never got time to say
my lawn is kk
my house next door is Sir walter
sorry for that
kamba no good on the buffalo

ian
20-10-2009, 08:57 PM
kamba contains dicamba as the name suggests

collingwood
27-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Hay Lawngreen, What Fertiliser You Use In The Winter With The Herbicide In It.??

lawngreen
27-10-2009, 05:14 AM
Hay Lawngreen, What Fertiliser You Use In The Winter With The Herbicide In It.??

If I told you I'd have to shoot you!

a grass act
29-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Gerry,
firstly I dont doubt your knowledge and thats why Im asking. I used Bin-die for Buffalo on my Sir Walter and it did kill lawn in one spot only. It was used as the directions and on serveral different places but it only died in one area . Any ideas what i did wrong? I cursed and carried on as my lawn looks great and is the best promotional tool for my work that I have. I blamed the bin-die but now I think I am to blame.
I have now been using the yates weed and feed for buffalo for spot weeding and it works fine and getting out the clover. Have you had any dealings with this product.

thanks

Tony
A Grass Act

lawngreen
29-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Gerry,
firstly I dont doubt your knowledge and thats why Im asking. I used Bin-die for Buffalo on my Sir Walter and it did kill lawn in one spot only. It was used as the directions and on serveral different places but it only died in one area . Any ideas what i did wrong? I cursed and carried on as my lawn looks great and is the best promotional tool for my work that I have. I blamed the bin-die but now I think I am to blame.
I have now been using the yates weed and feed for buffalo for spot weeding and it works fine and getting out the clover. Have you had any dealings with this product.

thanks

Tony
A Grass Act

Thanks for the compliment, Tony.

Bin-Die on Sir Walter Buffalo is fine. You would have been too generous with the spraying where you got that patch of leaf burn or dead buffalo. At the correct rate Sir Walter Buffalo can cope with Bin-Die (or its similar products with same active ingredients, ie Bromoxynil, called Bromocide MA 20 litres and Bindi Killer 5 litres).

Just be careful with buffalo turf if you dont know for sure which type it is, because a couple of the 10 or so buffalos going around sh%t themselves when you spray for broadleaf weeds with Bromoxynil.

I am not game to say which ones for obvious reasons. The turf growers know which ones I am talking about.

Suffice to say that you cannot go wrong with Sir Walter Buffalo.

Re Yates weed and feed I don't have much to say purely because the Yates products are geared more for the homeowner, and we purchase our Lawn Care products by the Larger commercial quantities for economical reasons. In our Free Report at www.LawnGreen.com.au that you can register for, we do talk about the pros and cons of the generic style of Weed & Feed products.

Anyone else with Lawn Care questions, happy to oblige!

a grass act
29-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Gerry, thanks for the prompt reply. If you ever after an agent of Sydneys Northern Beaches keep me in mind. Im quite happy to to do some training to get me up to speed.

thanks again

Tony

St George
28-10-2011, 04:11 PM
This sir Walter sounds like the bees knees. I have buffalo at home and some of the buffalo is purple in colour,would this be sir Walter?

lawnman
10-12-2011, 01:05 AM
no dont use bindi

wrong i use bin-die all the time over here in wa 90% of my lawns are buffalo i have used buffalo master before but found bin-die the best ,its kleen lawn u cant use on buffalo .

lawnman
10-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Chemspray Bin-Die Selective Lawn Herbicide 250ml
For the control of Bindii, oxalis, clover and other broadleaf weeds. Can be used on most lawns including buffalo. Contains contact and systemic herbicides. Concentated formula that treats up to 415 square

HPM
10-12-2011, 07:02 AM
wrong i use bin-die all the time over here in wa 90% of my lawns are buffalo i have used buffalo master before but found bin-die the best ,its kleen lawn u cant use on buffalo .

What type of mower do you use on buffalo over in WA.

lawnman
15-12-2011, 11:42 PM
30 inch dwyer and felton cylinder like the yellow cylinder in the avatar pic , all my cylinder work is at 12mm.
and i have a honda buffalo self prepelled i use too on the buffs.

fairdinkum
16-12-2011, 03:54 AM
no dont use bindi
you have to use a buffalo marster or 1 that is safe for buffalo bindie is safe for buffalo. I have never killed a lawn with it!

Mick
16-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Chemspray Bin-Die Selective Lawn Herbicide 250ml
For the control of Bindii, oxalis, clover and other broadleaf weeds. Can be used on most lawns including buffalo. Contains contact and systemic herbicides. Concentated formula that treats up to 415 square

Would this be safe to use on Queensland Blue couch? On all couch actually!
What turf would you say NOT to use this on?

PaulG
16-12-2011, 08:53 AM
From the Website:

"Description

Bin-Die has been formulated specially for used on Buffalo lawns . It can also be used on couch, bent, kikuyu, paspalum, fescue and rye lawns. Broad spectrum selective weed killer. Will control Bindii, catsear, clover, creeping oxalis, cudweed, dandelion, plantain and thistles. Contains both contact and systemic herbicides. 2L Hose on container will treat 200sqm.

Analysis or Active

12g/L Bromoxynil 12g/L MCPA. Bin-Die can be used throughout spring and autumn to control bindii and a wide range of other nuisance weeds.

Rate

Apply evenly over the area to be treated. Do not mow for 2 days after application. Slight browning of the grass may occur under hot conditions. More than one application may be required for clover control. Some varieties of Soft Leaf Buffalo may be sensitive to herbicide use."

The other one I've used on Couch here is Chemspray Kleen Lawn.
It does a few different weeds but is not for Buffalo as it contains Dicamba as one of it's ingredients.
http://amgrow.com.au/homegarden/product/?id=37

Mick
16-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks Paul, sounds good! Might invest!

fairdinkum
17-12-2011, 04:08 AM
My advice is, and especially if you are worried about it, follow the directions exactly...i.e mix exactly the recommended and spray the recommended rate. No more, no less.

lawnman
24-12-2011, 01:37 AM
mick bin-die is safe to use on all turf varieties
its kleen-lawn you cant use on buffalo or kikuyu as it has mecorprop and dicamba as its active ingredients and they dont agree with buff or kike

imoww
11-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Hey Lawn green. Ive used the same technique also. Just one question... Do you spray the Bin-Die onto the weeds only?

DavidS
11-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Hey Imoww you probably won't get an answer from Lawngreen as some people on this forum gave him a lot of sh#t and he has not been on for ages. Bin-Die can be sprayed all over your lawn, not just for spot spraying but saying that, if the weeds can be spot sprayed easliy then just mix up enough to spot spray, but only mist the weeds otherwise you will end up with dead or very sick buffalo.