PDA

View Full Version : Fishing where are they biting?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Scooby Steve
20-10-2009, 09:19 PM
This is for all the fisho's out there.

I thought we could have a thread that has up to date info from Indi's who have been out fishing. Put in where you caught them, what bait or lure you used etc etc.

Scooby Steve
20-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Went fishing Sunday the 18th of October Port Phillip Bay/ Victoria, conditions were rough as, cold over cast day, caught two very small pinkies (snapper) on pillies and that was it.

Scooby Steve
20-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Any one having better luck in the bay at the moment? I have heard the water temp is still slightly colder than what it should be to get some good bags of fish. :i dunno:

The Local Gardener
20-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Any one having better luck in the bay at the moment? I have heard the water temp is still slightly colder than what it should be to get some good bags of fish. :i dunno:

great post, fished the mouth at patterson river 3 weeks ago, using laser lures and caught 18 bay trout in total with my brother and his mate...

I want to fish Rowville lakes but I dont know how. I googled fishing at rowville lakes, mixed info... can you help???? man I used to fish every weekend all over vic. i am a fishing nut!!!!!!

ian
20-10-2009, 09:58 PM
nick have you tried ringing the council they maybe able to help

Scooby Steve
21-10-2009, 07:45 PM
great post, fished the mouth at patterson river 3 weeks ago, using laser lures and caught 18 bay trout in total with my brother and his mate...

I want to fish Rowville lakes but I dont know how. I googled fishing at rowville lakes, mixed info... can you help???? man I used to fish every weekend all over vic. i am a fishing nut!!!!!!

Rowville Lakes :from what i know there is carp, redfin and some very lonely trout in there, maybe some eels as well. Maggots under a float or scrub worms with a sinker or lure fish might get you something. Patterson River is the better bet. Those bay trout would make great snapper bait.

If you want to do some inland fishing try Eildon Pondage alot further to drive but well worth it. Just be careful driving through the spur on the way up.

Fred's mowing
21-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Yes the spur :frightene , going over it tomorrow night to camp up at Big river. Its one crazy road, basically a motorcycle race track & some of them have a death wish. Beware the spur :frightene .
Cheers Dean.

geoff1969
21-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Yes the spur :frightene , going over it tomorrow night to camp up at Big river. Its one crazy road, basically a motorcycle race track & some of them have a death wish. Beware the spur :frightene .
Cheers Dean.

hi adamandeves
the spur aint so bad since thay made a few bits of it wider a few years ago but daily trips up and down there driving trucks i saw some scary moments = winter - snow - black ice and slush - summer motor cyclists with death wishes ...narbethong ,buxton , taggerty ,alexandra all good towns

Fred's mowing
21-10-2009, 10:37 PM
How about the Reefton spur then? ;)
Cheers Dean.

geoff1969
21-10-2009, 11:01 PM
dont get out that way much any more but i know the reefton pub well old school mates dad owned it for a long time
cheers

Redeye
22-10-2009, 03:06 PM
5 kingies on jigs last weekend at the Banks (Jervis Bay). Miles of tailor & big salmon on lures for fun. Had a good winter run of yellowfin & bluefin but all gone now.

Mrs HMS
22-10-2009, 05:16 PM
We go to Eildon all the time as we have family all round the area but never drive the spur. Always turn go Maroondah Hwy to Yarra Glen and then take the Melba Hwy - follow that through Glenburn and then when you get to the Goulburn Valley Hwy at Yea, turn right...longer but quicker than going through the spur.

My dad and I used to get some great redfin out of the irrigation channels around Eildon.

Scooby Steve
22-10-2009, 07:05 PM
We go to Eildon all the time as we have family all round the area but never drive the spur. Always turn go Maroondah Hwy to Yarra Glen and then take the Melba Hwy - follow that through Glenburn and then when you get to the Goulburn Valley Hwy at Yea, turn right...longer but quicker than going through the spur.

My dad and I used to get some great redfin out of the irrigation channels around Eildon.

There use to be some monster reddies in those channels. Ahh those were the days. :)

Shepparton Lawn Care
24-10-2009, 10:18 PM
One Pound Reddie, spur channel passing through our property!!-walk 50 metres from home :) :) . Takes me back to being a kid, catching reddies in irrigation channels, on celta's and Ondex lures!

ian
26-10-2009, 09:29 PM
1 kg rainbow trout in my uncles dam unfortunately like all the fish we have caught at his place it tasted like dam

Scooby Steve
27-10-2009, 06:49 PM
3x 1.5kg (approx.) snapper off Black Rock , Port Phillip Bay using soft plastic's as bait. Fishing in the evening on Saturday the 24th Oct.

Scooby Steve
05-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Watch out anyone swimming or boating in Port Phillip Bay Victoria i've heard of several sightings of Great Whites in the bay. Nothing new to you South Aus and W.A. boys hey?

Scooby Steve
05-12-2009, 06:27 PM

Heard Rowville lakes is doing alright at the minute for big redfin. Flick a lure around the reeds/weeds and see how you go. Let me know how you do.

DavidS
14-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Off Green Island and out off Mollymook Surf club, flatties and some good snapper. Caught some nice flatties on sunday, mate caught 2 nice snappers

Redeye
14-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Theres been a dead whale beached in a cave near Pt Perpendicular for a couple of weeks. Kingies everywhere feeding off it ( and sharks ).Was great until it got too smelly!

Bluey
14-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Off Green Island and out off Mollymook Surf club, flatties and some good snapper. Caught some nice flatties on sunday, mate caught 2 nice snappers

I love the flatties. Good eating and great on soft bodied lures.

Scooby Steve
16-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Soak the flathead tails in sweet chilli sauce ( woolworths home brand) overnight and fry in a hot pan 2 minutes each side. Delish with chips and salad. Oh and a coldie of course ;) .

Redeye
16-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Flatties & sand whiting are the tastiest fish in the ocean for me, won't say no to a feed of garfish either. Yum!

Bluey
16-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Having spent so much time in Qld I would have to say Coral Trout. But a good freezer fish to really fill the coffers is the spanish mackeral. Best returns fillet wise offf any fish and great on the BBQ

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
13-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Going out on my mates boat Friday morning. Hitting the water at about 3am at Mornington.
Will let you guys interested know how we go :russ:

Scooby Steve
14-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Going out on my mates boat Friday morning. Hitting the water at about 3am at Mornington.
Will let you guys interested know how we go :russ:

Yeah give us plenty of details, but dont brag too much. What sort/brand/size of boat is it?

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
16-01-2010, 10:32 AM
:eyes: Well it was a little bit of a fizzer. Everything went to plan to start with except my mate forgot the coffee :sad: we were out at the 18 metre mark at about 3.30am. Not much going on ,a few small pinkies which got thrown back a nice size squid which took a plastic lure and destroyed it and your usual suspects ...flatties.
There was the won that got away something took off with one of my mates lines and clean cut it within about five seconds, probably a small shark I quess. I played around going for some flatties around daybreak on very light gear for a bit of fun but through them all back.
Anyway went in to sunnyside and fished in about 3 to 5 mtrs for squid and whiting only got 1 whiting was about 35cm sand whiting
but got 8 nice calamari before heading in around 10.30am.

Got to watch some dolphins frolicking around on the way in to sunnyside and all in all was good fun. Got home around 12noon then went and did some work til about 5 and finally fell asleep around 9.30pm after not sleeping since Wednesday night. :eyes: :cool:

Cant wait to do it all again. :russ:

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
16-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah give us plenty of details, but dont brag too much. What sort/brand/size of boat is it?

Sorry Scoob its a whittley clearwater runabout about 5.5 mtrs

A very nice boat actually I think he paid around 33 grand for it.

Scooby Steve
16-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Sorry Scoob its a whittley clearwater runabout about 5.5 mtrs

A very nice boat actually I think he paid around 33 grand for it.

Cool Cranbourne Lawnmowing, hey a bad days fishin beats a good day at work or so they say.

If you were fishing off Sunnyside it couldn't have been too bad, thats a nudist beach after all. You dirty bugger :laughing: .

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
17-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Cool Cranbourne Lawnmowing, hey a bad days fishin beats a good day at work or so they say.

If you were fishing off Sunnyside it couldn't have been too bad, thats a nudist beach after all. You dirty bugger :laughing: .

I don't know about you Scooby but not that much to look at there.

I prefer soft and good looking. Not old, leathery and round if you know what I mean :laughing: :p

Scooby Steve
17-01-2010, 04:32 PM
I don't know about you Scooby but not that much to look at there.

I prefer soft and good looking. Not old, leathery and round if you know what I mean :laughing: :p

Sounds like a shocker Cranbourne Lawnmowing, not many decent fish and nothing to perve on either. Ah well always next time.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
17-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Ay scoob maybe next time we could meet up and fish off the beach :laughing:

Fred's mowing
17-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Who,s the most popular guy at the nudist camp?????????????
The guy that can carry 2 hot coffee,s & 9 donuts :laughing: .
Cheers Dean.

Scooby Steve
14-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Just got back from a great days fishing. Sunny in Melbourne not much wind beautiful out on the water. Fished off Frankston got some nice pinkies and a couple of yummy whiting ( king george ). Having the whiting (soaked in sweet chilli sauce ) for dinner tonight with beer battered chips and salad. Oh and a frothy of course. Geez i love Autumn in Melbourne.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
15-03-2010, 05:50 PM
nice scoob

my mate went out off frankston in his boat on saturday..same.. some nice king george and a couple of flatties the size of which I have not seen in a long time from the bay around 42 cm

Neil&family
15-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Good to hear someone can wet a line.Rode the trailey down to the beach yesterday and the the ocean resembles puke in a washing machine.We have had 730 mm in the last 42 days and the creeks are flowing hard.And just when things were starting to clear, Tropical Cyclone Ului looks like its gonna give the coast line a touch up.

At least the grass will grow this winter.(if its not still under water).:i dunno:

Would love to have a good session on those King Goerge Whiting.Catching and eating the Buggers.

Scooby Steve
27-05-2010, 09:24 PM
If anyone loves calamari Port Phillip Bay in Vic is running hot for them at the minute. Almost the entire bay is producing at present its that good, mate and i did well off Frankston in about 5 metres of water using pink squid jigs. For those without a boat the piers are running hot for them at night as well.

Scooby Steve
27-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Did anyone see the pictures of the massive tuna that was caught near Portland about a week ago? From memory its was over 150kg and took something like 3 hours to bring to the boat. I believe there were two massive fish caught within days of each other. The first bloke broke the Aussie record then within a week someone else beat him by a few kg's wouldn't you be slightly p*ssed.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
03-06-2010, 12:15 AM
If anyone loves calamari Port Phillip Bay in Vic is running hot for them at the minute. Almost the entire bay is producing at present its that good, mate and i did well off Frankston in about 5 metres of water using pink squid jigs. For those without a boat the piers are running hot for them at night as well.

Might have to have a go off mordialloc this weekend. Right at the start of the pier is normally good for squid. under the first lights

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
05-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Might have to have a go off mordialloc this weekend. Right at the start of the pier is normally good for squid. under the first lights

Mmmm dont think I'll be fishing tonight. Just a bit wet

Scooby Steve
05-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah wouldn't be much fun tonight just a fraction damp and cold.

I'll let you in on a top land based spot, (don't tell too many people:megaphone ).

Back end of Patterson River will be good after all this rain. Bream sit there as the water spills over and catch any food that sweeps down. Put your bait in there or a soft plastic and you should do well.

Fred's mowing
05-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Bream, excellent fighting fish 4 their size..............but the bones:rolleyes:.
Cheers Dean.

Scooby Steve
05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Bream, excellent fighting fish 4 their size..............but the bones:rolleyes:.
Cheers Dean.

Yeah they go hard. Good fun on light gear. Spook easy though.

Bgs
05-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Yeah they go hard. Good fun on light gear. Spook easy though.

That's all I catch up here is bream , have cought the odd whiting and only about 2 flathead but you can prety much garuntee you will catch a bream when you go out.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
06-06-2010, 01:26 AM
Yeah wouldn't be much fun tonight just a fraction damp and cold.

I'll let you in on a top land based spot, (don't tell too many people:megaphone ).

Back end of Patterson River will be good after all this rain. Bream sit there as the water spills over and catch any food that sweeps down. Put your bait in there or a soft plastic and you should do well.

Hey scoob I reckon you and me have haunted a lot of the same fishing spots over the years buy the sound of it. Did you know around the pylons under the bridge is a good place to try for mulloway this time of year. If you get out to the pylons and have a look down there with a whiting tube you will quite often see big mulloway.

The Local Gardener
06-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Hey scoob I reckon you and me have haunted a lot of the same fishing spots over the years buy the sound of it. Did you know around the pylons under the bridge is a good place to try for mulloway this time of year. If you get out to the pylons and have a look down there with a whiting tube you will quite often see big mulloway.

Dude, try the yacht club's private jetty, just turn right from the end of Warragul road, head 3-4 minutes toward the city....

Scooby Steve
06-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Dude, try the yacht club's private jetty, just turn right from the end of Warragul road, head 3-4 minutes toward the city....

You mean Beaumaris Yacht Club there Local G? Thats not far from me. Good spot for squid, can get busy though when there on the bite, but i guess everywhere does hey.

As for the Mullaway in Patterson River never fished for them there myself but have heard all the stories about some of the fish they pull out of there this time of the year.

Glenno sounds like we have been fishing the same spots. So i can blame you the next time i go and there is no fish left :).

Some of the surf beaches down the coast are also good this time of the year for Gummy Sharks if you can brave the cold.

Also when i get time i love going to Eildon Pondage to fish for trout. Great spot easy access regularly stocked with ex brood stock from the hatcheries so theres some decent sized fish in there. Fantastic spot just to sit on the bank and relax, if you catch a fish its a bonus.

ian
06-06-2010, 09:46 PM
scooby i think he means the one nearly opposite the mentone hotel

Scooby Steve
07-06-2010, 07:14 AM

I could be wrong but i don't think there is a pier at that spot i think he means the Beauy YC which is about a k down the road.

Mentone pub is a great spot too but for totally different reasons :p.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
07-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Scoob we should organize an Indie fishing day

Scooby Steve
07-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Scoob we should organize an Indie fishing day

Sounds like a great idea to me. And maybe a golf day for all you golf tragics out there.

For the fishing maybe Patto river, or one of the piers Mornington or even Beaumaris maybe?

Or if we can round up enough boats Port Phillip Bay or Western Port.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
07-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me. And maybe a golf day for all you golf tragics out there.

For the fishing maybe Patto river, or one of the piers Mornington or even Beaumaris maybe?

Or if we can round up enough boats Port Phillip Bay or Western Port.

you know there is a place in gippsland lakes area where they have a golf course with the Tambo running through it:magic you can stay there and fish in the morning and golf in the afternoon or vice verser:dance

The Local Gardener
08-06-2010, 07:33 PM
You mean Beaumaris Yacht Club there Local G? Thats not far from me. Good spot for squid, can get busy though when there on the bite, but i guess everywhere does hey.

As for the Mullaway in Patterson River never fished for them there myself but have heard all the stories about some of the fish they pull out of there this time of the year.

Glenno sounds like we have been fishing the same spots. So i can blame you the next time i go and there is no fish left :).

Some of the surf beaches down the coast are also good this time of the year for Gummy Sharks if you can brave the cold.

Also when i get time i love going to Eildon Pondage to fish for trout. Great spot easy access regularly stocked with ex brood stock from the hatcheries so theres some decent sized fish in there. Fantastic spot just to sit on the bank and relax, if you catch a fish its a bonus.

Yes, I was there a few weeks back, orange and pink squid jigs, cleaned up, no one around. I was fishing with the wife in Lakes Entrance and fished the low tide at Kalimna jetty. I cleaned up on pinkie and bay trout, was there for 3 hours, froze my ass off though.....

The Local Gardener
08-06-2010, 07:36 PM

yeah I think so Ian, you park in the back streets...

ian
09-06-2010, 12:10 AM
yeah I think so Ian, you park in the back streets...

no when i go to mentone beach i park in the parents drive but i rarely go past the life saving club these days

The Local Gardener
09-06-2010, 09:17 PM
no when i go to mentone beach i park in the parents drive but i rarely go past the life saving club these days

wow, that's awsome... gr8 little spot that is....

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
09-06-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm thinking we could have a spot to have an indi fishing day or night

The Local Gardener
09-06-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm thinking we could have a spot to have an indi fishing day or night

Patterson Lakes, next to the mouth is a great spot, we could possibly meet there?

Fred's mowing
09-06-2010, 10:17 PM
How about a charter, if enough are interested:i dunno:
Cheers Dean.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
09-06-2010, 10:28 PM
The problem with the charters Dean is the good ones normally have a set price and if everyone doesnt turn up you still have to pay the full amount. Would have to get money up front of everyone.

But I would be up for it though.

Maybe a land based bit of fishing would be the best way to go to start with. Build from there.:i dunno:

Scooby Steve
10-06-2010, 07:05 PM
A decent charter would set us back around $1500 so if we could get a full boat (15 people) $100 dollars each. Shark fishing in Bass Strait maybe?

I'm more than happy with patto river mouth or even back near where the boats come out, bit less cold wind. Yes i'm getting soft.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
10-06-2010, 11:30 PM
A decent charter would set us back around $1500 so if we could get a full boat (15 people) $100 dollars each. Shark fishing in Bass Strait maybe?

I'm more than happy with patto river mouth or even back near where the boats come out, bit less cold wind. Yes i'm getting soft.

I would be quite happy with the patto to start with. would have to be in a couple of weeks though, going to look a bit like the elephant man after next friday. Have an appointment with the skin doctor. having some surgery on the ugly noggin.:chainsaw

courty
11-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Scooby/Glenn
Organize a indi conference here on the Gold Coast and I'm sure we'd be able to use my mates office to hold proceedings in :D:D:D:D

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/work%20pics/trailer002-1.jpg

Scooby Steve
11-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Plenty of room to fish on that beast.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
12-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Scooby/Glenn
Organize a indi conference here on the Gold Coast and I'm sure we'd be able to use my mates office to hold proceedings in :D:D:D:D

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/work%20pics/trailer002-1.jpg

Ohhhh my godd how cool is that.:cool:

Courty, and you have time to work?:russ:

Mrs HMS
12-06-2010, 10:35 AM
If you organise yourselves quickly you can get there for 9-11 July which is the Queensland home garden expo - this can then give you a tax deductible business trip! :cheer:

or plan it for next year's Gardening Australia Expo which I think is in April some time.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-06-2010, 06:58 PM
If you organise yourselves quickly you can get there for 9-11 July which is the Queensland home garden expo - this can then give you a tax deductible business trip! :cheer:

or plan it for next year's Gardening Australia Expo which I think is in April some time.

Hi Joanne.

Changing the subject a little, but where is next years Gardening Australia Expo?

Cheers Glenn:wave-hi::wave-hi:

Mrs HMS
14-06-2010, 07:10 PM
It's in Brisbane, 16-18th April at the RNA showgrounds.

Scooby Steve
26-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey Local G was reading in your other thread that you were catching bay trout off the surf, i'm glad one of us is fishing.

Do you eat the bay trout or use them for bait? They make a great fresh bait for snapper or gummy shark.

We will have to get our act together for the Indi fishing day. Would it be best to have it in winter when we all have time or should we wait till the weathers warmer and just try to squeeze it in during a bumper spring?

RSM-Gazza
28-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Good to see some folks here enjoy a bit of fishing,
I'm been boat fishing since my early teens and held a NSW boat license well before Victoria even had such a thing. Used to fish PPBay when I lived in melb for twenty five years. Was a ramp member at Parson's Marina at Williamstown, St Kilda Marina and Patto River, not all at the same time though. Also was paid member of the VCG, although I didn't do much to assist them, if anything at all.
Now I just enjoy the fresh water scene for redfin, Brown+Rainbow Trout and the majestic Murray Cod. Although catching fish up my way is a little harder than chasing Flathead, Whiting or Snapper.

RE the thread topic, For inland with the freezing temp's upon us, its action time for the Trout on troll.

The Local Gardener
29-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Hey Local G was reading in your other thread that you were catching bay trout off the surf, i'm glad one of us is fishing.

Do you eat the bay trout or use them for bait? They make a great fresh bait for snapper or gummy shark.

We will have to get our act together for the Indi fishing day. Would it be best to have it in winter when we all have time or should we wait till the weathers warmer and just try to squeeze it in during a bumper spring?

Yes, bleed them and gut them straight away, and salt them heavily if your keen and equiped. I guess I love my fishing so much, that I did all the above. I used to fish a hell of a lot more, but when I do go fishing I do take everything but the kitchen sink. Best part of surf fishing, you dont need much. Each fish I caught I bled and gutted and dug a hole in the sand and put them in head 1st with only tales sticking out. No buckets or bags....

The funny thing is I was using a Kmart 7ft combo just casting about. I had a hunch about the surf as I was noticing a lot of bird activity. Drove to the beach just to unwind, got out of the car, sussed out a gutter, wife stayed in car reading a book. So much fun.

Winter is very slow work wise, thus more time to go fishing. I actually went fishing with a client of mine and he showed me this spot in Melbourne, where only a handfull of people would know. Would be happy to tell you on a PM as this spot is limited for room, but rest assured quality spot with a mixed bag. We fished for 4 hours and bagged out. We have been twice and the same success rate. KGW, Pinkie, Leather Jacket, Flathead (my god the size) Rock Cod, Barracouta, Bay Trout, Trevally and Crabs....

Re fishing day, I reckon winter as most places are doing great, Spring is great but I like fishing the cold.

Redeye
29-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Guys going outwide here off Jervis Bay are getting bluefin to 110kg.
I don't have the energy,motivation for chasing big fish from boats or rocks any more. Only chase quality eating fish off the beach or nearby rocks - whiting,flathead mostly.Was made a life member of the local fishing club last year but finding it harder to get keen, probably since getting more dedicated to this lawn business caper:i dunno:

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
15-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Hey Scoob.

Was talking to a bloke yesterday that said if you can put up with the cold, fishing for gummies off somers beach is great at the moment.
I'd love to get down there but I think I'm turning into a pussy when it comes to the cold weather. But....if someone was to twist my arm.....

Scooby Steve
15-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah i know a mechanic at a mower shop and another friend who both fish that beach for gummies at night, Gunnamatta is another top spot.

I'm hearing you about the cold, you need thermal underware, beanies warm coffee or chicken soup just to get through i reckon especially if the wind is up.

Maybe bream in the Patto might be a warmer option. See if we can get Local G along as well.

The Local Gardener
15-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Yeah i know a mechanic at a mower shop and another friend who both fish that beach for gummies at night, Gunnamatta is another top spot.

I'm hearing you about the cold, you need thermal underware, beanies warm coffee or chicken soup just to get through i reckon especially if the wind is up.

Maybe bream in the Patto might be a warmer option. See if we can get Local G along as well.

I would be in for Patto, don't know if sand worm is about. :?

Scooby Steve
16-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Local G would you say the sandworm works best down there? Is there anywhere you can get it fresh, the frozen bait stuff is not only getting expensive but it doesn't work anywhere near as good as fresh bait.

Have you tried spinning soft plastics down there. Have known blokes with boats who spin around the jetties in the lakes themselves for good results. I know you can spin for salmon at the mouth of Patto for good results just never tried it for bream inside the river.

The Local Gardener
17-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Local G would you say the sandworm works best down there? Is there anywhere you can get it fresh, the frozen bait stuff is not only getting expensive but it doesn't work anywhere near as good as fresh bait.

Have you tried spinning soft plastics down there. Have known blokes with boats who spin around the jetties in the lakes themselves for good results. I know you can spin for salmon at the mouth of Patto for good results just never tried it for bream inside the river.

Yeah, I have tried with soft plastics, a few sand flathead and trevally on the rising tide right at the mouth while other rod in water with patternoster rig, long shank hooks is the norm for me...

The Local Gardener
17-07-2010, 11:12 PM

I used to get sand worm for 7 dollars at the boat shop to the right just before you turn right toward the mariner. Thank God for east link.

Paul Worsteling on 3 AW announced mullet with poles at the flood gates at patto river siza 10 long shank hooks...

Scooby Steve
18-07-2010, 07:26 AM
So the fish have finally found a way to fight back Local G, "mullet with poles at Patto" :laughing:

Bgs
18-07-2010, 07:39 AM
I saw a bull shark being pulled in at colleges crossing on the brisbane river the other week right next to the boat ramp as I was launching my kayak :frightene:frightene

Wasn't a monster but still :frightene:frightene

Eastwood
18-07-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm off to Bemm river in 2 weeks time for a week of R+R.Can't wait to catch my first bag of fish,then back for a fish barby and a few frothies.That's for the first day, then followed with a repeat the next day, then the next day and so on. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.Will report back when I get home.

courty
18-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Another beaut winters day here in Qld:)
Headed to Sth Straddie for a picinic with freinds today.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/work%20pics/fishies005.jpg

The mate and I snuck off for an hour and had some fun with the local bream on surface lures. Fishing in about 2 ft of water we managed 1/2 a doz in an hour. A nice bit of fun in the sun.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/work%20pics/fishies002.jpg

Scooby Steve
18-07-2010, 07:29 PM
I saw a bull shark being pulled in at colleges crossing on the brisbane river the other week right next to the boat ramp as I was launching my kayak :frightene:frightene

Wasn't a monster but still :frightene:frightene

Speaking of Bull Sharks I was watching shark week on the discovery channel a while ago and they had a special on them. Its amazing how far up river they will go. The bloke was catching them on the Brisbane river while kids were riding past on there skis and tubes. Quite a small shark compared to a Great White yet still one of the more dangerous sharks in Aus you can quite easily die because of blood loss from the wound they inflict. As you have said they are often found in rivers and river mouths and along surf beaches. You guys get alot around Straddie and Moreton Island. I was swimming in the gorge at Point Lookout on Nth Straddie a couple of years ago when the chopper hovered for quite some time just outside the entrance found out afterwards a number of bull sharks were spotted and the helicopter was trying to heard them away from swimmers.

You guys and girls on the yaks are game, sometimes you lot are out fishing along side guys/girls in boats out in deep water. There is a video maybe its on you tube of a guy getting menaced by a Great White off Sydney scary stuff.

I was out on a paddle ski once in Port Phillip about 100 metres from shore when a dark shadow in the water appeared and started heading my way. Its was a little bit choppy so i couldn't get a good view on what it was through the water i thought i'm in trouble here and i started to head to shore on an angle so i could view what was coming. Almost in shore when i got a good look at what it was..............bloody seaweed and wasn't i glad of that. Almost turned the blue water brown that day i can tell you.

Scooby Steve
18-07-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm off to Bemm river in 2 weeks time for a week of R+R.Can't wait to catch my first bag of fish,then back for a fish barby and a few frothies.That's for the first day, then followed with a repeat the next day, then the next day and so on. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.Will report back when I get home.

Enjoy Eastwood its a lovely spot be great to here how well you did when you get back.

Scooby Steve
18-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Hey Courty you trying to make us Mexicans feel a bit warmer, well its working what a lovely spot looked like a beautiful day. Man i love Qld in winter.

RSM-Gazza
18-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Courty,

Was a regular to Treasure Island Tourist park a few yrs back.
Love your backyard, especially when I see pictures of homes you have serviced with the tropical gardens.

My friend and I and purchased a boat each up there at Boatarama near Treasure Island Tourist Park. Boatarama went bust in the end. Best trip ever to pick a up boat each and spend two days testing the boats prior to the 1200k tip home. Launched at Paradise Point Ramp.

Magic place and yes you are teasing us southerners as Scooby Steve indicated. Down here is either Brown Trout fishing in the freezing cold. Or for the PPBay folks, its start servicing you snapper gear time and be ready for action in the coming months.

Scooby Steve
19-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Have you still got your boat Riverside and if so what brand have you got and what outboard?

RSM-Gazza
19-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Have you still got your boat Riverside and if so what brand have you got and what outboard?

Yes and she sits in my shed in perfecto condition.

4.8Mt Allycraft deluxe runabout.
70Hp 2S Yamaha
4Hp 4S Yamaha Aux
Check Pm.

Scooby Steve
27-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Hey Riverside apparently the Reddies have been going off up your way, in the Hume and a few of the other lakes have you heard the same?

Scooby Steve
27-09-2010, 10:03 PM
The first reports are starting to trickle through of new season snapper entering the bay (Port Phillip). I'd say the water temp may have to rise a little more so we see bigger more consistant catches, but there coming which is great news for keen fisho's. Yes i'm big kev excited.

RSM-Gazza
27-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey Riverside apparently the Reddies have been going off up your way, in the Hume and a few of the other lakes have you heard the same?

Sorry for the delayed response,

No I have not heard, only because I've not been fishing or launching the boat since my career change. Been working on the business set up and tinkering with the total mowing rig and equipment+MYOB on my days off.
Although on the Claytons finals day last Saturday I sat in the boat over a couple whilst watching the big screen in the shed. But I never heard the bells on my rod jingle, except when I trip over one whilst getting out.:)
I may book in for the Yamaha Hume Classic which is a Yellowbelly/Redfin/Trout event. Few years back I won the event for the biggest Yella. Yeh!!!!
http://www.lakehumeclassic.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=45
Used to love the snappppeeeeerrrrrrr season when I was in Melb, apart from tooo many boats in one spot.

Scooby Steve
28-09-2010, 07:05 PM
You talk about too many boats in the one spot isn't it funny they have the whole bay to fish and decide to pull up 20 metres from you. Most people try to be quiet when bringing decent fish to the boat for this very reason. If they see you catching a 5kg fish every man and his dog pulls up next to you.

courty
31-10-2010, 12:35 AM
Haven't been on the water much over winter but with the water temps rising it won't be long before I'm dusting off the fly rods and making the weekend dash to Hervey Bay to chase these beauties on the flats up there.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/headshot.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/goodasgold.jpg

For those of you who think flyfishing is just for trout check this out
http://vimeo.com/14575317

The Local Gardener
31-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Haven't been on the water much over winter but with the water temps rising it won't be long before I'm dusting off the fly rods and making the weekend dash to Hervey Bay to chase these beauties on the flats up there.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/headshot.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/goodasgold.jpg

For those of you who think flyfishing is just for trout check this out
http://vimeo.com/14575317

I love you Courty....

I'm in Lorne on The Great Ocean Road, have fished the jetty since Friday on both changing tides. Nothing, a couple of blokes caught Mackeral and Trevalli the size of a mobile phone. I was just happy to drop a line. Heaps of sand crabs and small stingray, no real fish.

To wet and windy to try this morning, here till Tuesday see how we go..

Bgs
31-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey Courty have you got any good tips and times of year for fishing in hervey bay , My dad took his boat up there and we spent two days with out a bite. Thanks

Scooby Steve
31-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Local G get some fresh bait from the fish shop near the jetty (if you haven't already) and use that as bait, and i would get some bread crumbs mix it with tuna oil and berley up. I have a rod that i run a berley cage off and thats used just to attract fish, when attached to the line it actually keeps the berley near the bottom much more efficiently than just throwing it in from the top, i then fish the other rods along side it.

Lorne pier is very productive and when you berley up there you'll be surprised what will show up.

courty
31-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Hey Courty have you got any good tips and times of year for fishing in hervey bay , My dad took his boat up there and we spent two days with out a bite. Thanks

Bgs
I'm probably not the best bloke to ask about general fishing in the bay. I haven't touched bait in about 10 yrs and only chase a couple of species up there.
It's a big bit of water,we've had days where we have travelled over 100k's on the water looking for fish only to come up empty handed.
I really love the inside coast of Fraser Island,especially up the top end around Wathumba,Rooneys Point etc the water clarity,lack of people,mmmmmm can't wait to get back up there.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/SDC10214.jpg

Scooby Steve
31-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Good drop that (hahn super dry) the light isn't bad either.

Umm i could go some fish'n'chips with a nice beer right about now.

courty
31-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Good drop that (hahn super dry) the light isn't bad either.

Umm i could go some fish'n'chips with a nice beer right about now.

I'm having one right now:cool:but you can keep your fish n chips.I'd hate to think how much money I've spent on tackle and travel chasing our finney friends and I hate the things as food.

The Local Gardener
31-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Local G get some fresh bait from the fish shop near the jetty (if you haven't already) and use that as bait, and i would get some bread crumbs mix it with tuna oil and berley up. I have a rod that i run a berley cage off and thats used just to attract fish, when attached to the line it actually keeps the berley near the bottom much more efficiently than just throwing it in from the top, i then fish the other rods along side it.

Lorne pier is very productive and when you berley up there you'll be surprised what will show up.

i should have but got lazy, no one caught anything, except for one bloke who caught a port jackson and freakin kept it, i was shocked. these people reeeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyy piss me off. It was best I kept my mouth shut, but I was close....

Redeye
31-10-2010, 09:45 PM
I took a bloke from Dubbo fishing years ago; he caught a large PJ and insisted we take photos of him with his "trophy" catch lol. Next morning took him LBG fishing at The Tubes where he saw a 120kg marlin caught which totally freaked him out, was funny as he had been bragging about his big PJ to the guy who landed the beakie

Scooby Steve
01-11-2010, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=The Local Gardener;56669]i should have but got lazy, no one caught anything

Thats fishing hey Local G, might have been the wrong time to fish, water temp not right, somebody netted the area the night before, but if there are port jackson sharks about it means there will be other stuff there too. I dont know how long you are down there but if you have time try soft plastics or maybe a metal lure (salmon might be about), worth a shot.

Redlandsguy
01-11-2010, 07:16 PM

I'll give you one tip for Hervey Bay, don't take to many winter whiting. The fisheries have raided the van parks there from time to time and cleaned up a couple of the residents. I don't know about other states but here it is an in possession limit. That means you can have 50 per person total, including what you have in the freezer.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
01-11-2010, 07:37 PM
i should have but got lazy, no one caught anything, except for one bloke who caught a port jackson and freakin kept it, i was shocked. these people reeeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyy piss me off. It was best I kept my mouth shut, but I was close....

Last time I ever looked it was a $2000 fine for not releasing a PJ shark. @ssholes. And I don't mean the folks giving the fines!

Redeye
01-11-2010, 08:08 PM
can't understand why anyone would want to keep a PJ, they're as welcome around here as bullrouts & clumps of weed - damn sure you wouldn't eat the bastards

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
01-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Your on the wrong side of the rip TLG. All the fish should be traveling from north to south into the bay

The Local Gardener
02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=The Local Gardener;56669]i should have but got lazy, no one caught anything

Thats fishing hey Local G, might have been the wrong time to fish, water temp not right, somebody netted the area the night before, but if there are port jackson sharks about it means there will be other stuff there too. I dont know how long you are down there but if you have time try soft plastics or maybe a metal lure (salmon might be about), worth a shot.

hey scoob did try a plastic, bushies special, had one chaser but thats all. tried everything, moved about even did a few hours at apollo bay, nothing... thats fishin, but loved it...might try rowville lakes next only a five minute drive but nit sure how to fish it..

Scooby Steve
03-11-2010, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=Scooby Steve;56721]

hey scoob did try a plastic, bushies special, had one chaser but thats all. tried everything, moved about even did a few hours at apollo bay, nothing... thats fishin, but loved it...might try rowville lakes next only a five minute drive but nit sure how to fish it..

For Rowville Lakes try scrub worms by the reeds or spin a lure next to them (small bladed spinner or maybe try a rapala). Maggots or mudeyes under a float might work as well.

Have never fished soft plastics there but there is no reason they wouldn't work.

Someone once told me the powerbait type stuff works there, also bread soaked in tuna oil and molded onto the hook.

Once the water temps rises a few degrees your best bet for a decent fish would be hiring a boat off Mordi to chase some nice reds.

The Local Gardener
04-11-2010, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=The Local Gardener;56862]

For Rowville Lakes try scrub worms by the reeds or spin a lure next to them (small bladed spinner or maybe try a rapala). Maggots or mudeyes under a float might work as well.

Have never fished soft plastics there but there is no reason they wouldn't work.

Someone once told me the powerbait type stuff works there, also bread soaked in tuna oil and molded onto the hook.

Once the water temps rises a few degrees your best bet for a decent fish would be hiring a boat off Mordi to chase some nice reds.

lol... thump, thump, thump and the line goes a little slack, , real starts to crank slowly, it's inevitable, a juicy red is on the line, what happens next is anyones guess, gee whiz I love fishing....

thanks for the advice, I have bushies squidgies, reckon they will work?

Scooby Steve
04-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Worth a try Local G, when i'm spinning lures or soft plastics i change them over after 10 mins or so if they haven't caught anything and try something else or a different colour.

I haven't fished there for a long time, it use to have reddies,trout and eel and i now assume carp would be there as well. If you see any old blokes fishing i would sit and have a chat maybe even bring them a beer and get some local knowledge off them. Amazing what a beer does for conversation.

I would fish some sort of bait as well along near the reeds if they are still there.

If you are ever down Ashburton/Malvern way there is a place called Darling Park which has Gardiners Creek running through it, that little spot has massive carp in it, i wouldn't eat them but good fun on light gear. They spook easy so you have to be quiet you will see them if the water is clear, a lot of rocks and crap on the creek bed so i would use a bubble float the ones you can fill with water and put some maggots or bread on them. Good fun right in the heart of suburbia.

If you are free one arvo we can go see how much it is to hire a boat from Mordi Creek and go snapper fishing.

courty
01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Decide to take a few hours out this morning to hit the water with a mate:p
The spottie macks weren't playing the game today like last week but had some fun with some good size dart on plastics.
As the saying goes "A bad days fishing is better than a good days work"

Scooby Steve
01-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Fishing i've almost forgotten what it is work has been so busy and by the time i get a day off its spent with family or friends or resting on the couch. I'm itching to get out and here that line start peeling of the reel oh the serenity.

courty
01-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Fishing i've almost forgotten what it is work has been so busy and by the time i get a day off its spent with family or friends or resting on the couch. I'm itching to get out and here that line start peeling of the reel oh the serenity.

Scooby
I call it mental health time,very necessary and I'm sure if I looked hard enough I'd find a way to claim it on tax;)

Scooby Steve
02-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Scooby
I call it mental health time,very necessary and I'm sure if I looked hard enough I'd find a way to claim it on tax;)

Can't you say you got the boat to entertain/attract potential clients thus making it a tax deduction. Sounds right to me;).

Anjaryan
03-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Can't you say you got the boat to entertain/attract potential clients thus making it a tax deduction. Sounds right to me;).

Scooby if you take out fellow lawnies *hint* *hint* its called networking!

Scooby Steve
03-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Scooby if you take out fellow lawnies *hint* *hint* its called networking!

That sounds like it could work Anjaran lol but i need the boat first.

At the moment its either my mates boats or a hire boat or land based stuff or with work being sooo busy its usually watching the fishing shows tonight on the community channel 4 different shows in a row thank you community channel.

RSM-Gazza
05-02-2011, 09:37 AM
With you blokes talking about fishing puts more pressure on me.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/5414fishjumper.gif

I've a darn good boat that

"I can't take out"

Buggered my front panel garage on 25 Nov and still can't get it replaced. My insurer RACV has been brilliant all the way and are not scared of approaching the supplier for action.
But the manu's H/O and there sub dealers give you crap and spin every week. I've also a double side entry gate on my 2x double driveway that is not finished and needs a bit a work to get a heavy-ish boat out.
With 4 cars out the front and my Mowing rig, it would be a pain to deal with also to get the boat out in conjunction with unfinished side entry.
If I had of know that months would go by from the start, I my have brought a concretor to fix the side entry.
The boat sits in a large shed at the rear of my joint.

With summer and our many local water ways full, what a crap time to have a stuffed up panel door.

Edit: with 100mm of rain since 2.00pm yesterday and another 100mms today, I may as well stock up the boat esky and sit out there over a few beers. Whilst play with my fishing gear and put the Navman f/finder on simulation mode and dream of a launch. (done that before many times)

Hate these newer garage remote controls that are not designed to clip onto the sunvisor anymore. I reckon there is a devilish reason for this.:(

Scooby Steve
05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Garry no excuse bust that door down ;)

Scooby Steve
05-02-2011, 10:18 AM
If anyone likes there Bream fishing in Melbourne once this rain stops go to the Patterson River and fish the area right down the back where the back part of the river overflows to the part that enters the bay near the freeway the Bream sit there in large numbers waiting for food to flush over. Either bait or soft plastic both work.

RSM-Gazza
05-02-2011, 10:23 AM
It's buckled and forced into a down position by the emergencey repair man just to give me security to the outside world.

Its bad enough just getting my ride on in and out without crashing the under deck.
Anyhow just went out to the shed before and put some beers in the waeco as there's not much else one can do with this incredible rain up my way.

But they tell me the reddies have been firing on the Hume weir.

Fred's mowing
05-02-2011, 10:50 AM
It's buckled and forced into a down position by the emergencey repair man just to give me security to the outside world.

Its bad enough just getting my ride on in and out without crashing the under deck.
Anyhow just went out to the shed before and put some beers in the waeco as there's not much else one can do with this incredible rain up my way.

But they tell me the reddies have been firing on the Hume weir.
No excuse Garry, bust that door down!:aus-flag:
Cheers Fred

Neil&family
15-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Was gonna post this in the What makes me grumpy thread.

Queensland now has a 6 week ban on snapper starting today.
The weather has been absolutey ****house all year and just when things are improving, Ya gotta throw the bastards back.

Read this.$90 license required to boaties fishing for snapper.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/15/3138972.htm?site=widebay&section=news&date=%28none%29

P.S I like my Knobbies.

Scooby Steve
16-02-2011, 07:26 PM

The weather has been absolutey ****house all year and just when things are improving, Ya gotta throw the bastards back.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/15/3138972.htm?site=widebay&section=news&date=%28none%29

P.S I like my Knobbies.

They banning the netters and long linners as well?

Bluey
16-02-2011, 07:36 PM

I am a bit perplexed by this. Snapper don't breed in Qld or am I wrong? So why ban the taking of them when they move up the coast

Bluey
16-02-2011, 08:03 PM
The missus was cleaning out a couple of boxes I had and found this. Used to hang in my bar years ago. They were taken of between 1989 and 1990

From left to right and down

1. 14 ft tiger shark hanging from the hiab sea crane on the back deck of fisheries patrol vessel Wauri at Sunday Is on the east cost of Cape York. That's me on the left and the white dots you see on the shark are bullet holes from my mini 14 used to dispatch him. The other bloke is Graham Hirakawa (Ahbung) a fisheries officer from Thursday Island.

2. Mackerel Vs Shark in the Torres Strait. No prizes for guessing who lost

3. GT taken on a 60lb hand line at Princess Charlotte Bay. That bugger wore me out and wrecked me hands. That is a XXXX beer can in his gob. Could not weigh him so never knew how big he was. Just big.

courty
16-02-2011, 08:55 PM

P.S I like my Knobbies.

Neil
Yo can still have a say about the future

Media Release
Full steam ahead for snapper consultation

21 January 2011

New public meeting dates for consultation on the state’s Rocky Reef Fin Fish Fishery and in particular snapper have been announced after being postponed due to flooding.

Fisheries Queensland Managing Director Jim Groves said the consultation period had also been extended for a further six weeks.

“Snapper, part of the Rocky Reef Fin Fish Fishery is a popular species for both recreational and commercial fishers in Queensland, therefore it was important to reschedule new meeting dates to give people the opportunity to comment on proposed changes.

“As such we have rescheduled meeting dates from Mackay to Tin Can Bay to allow people time to get back on their feet following flooding.

“The current review is imperative in resolving how best to manage this fishery sustainably in the future,” he said.

“All representatives from the community should have the opportunity to provide their feedback on the ways we can better manage these fish stocks in the future. The new meeting dates are as follows:

Date Location Time
Venue
Monday 14 Mar 2011
Mackay 7-9pm Reef Resort Mackay
166–170 Nebo Street,
Mackay

Tuesday 15 Mar 2011 Yeppoon 7-9pm Rosslyn Bay Inn
Vin. E. Jones Drive, Rosslyn Bay

Wednesday 16 Mar 2011 Bundaberg 7-9pm Western Suburbs League Club
Avoca Street, Bundaberg

Thursday 17 Mar 2011 Hervey Bay 7-9pm Hervey Bay Boat Club
Buccaneer Drive, Hervey Bay

Friday 18 Mar 2011
Tin Can Bay 7-9pm Tin Can Bay Country Club
Kidd Straight, Tin Can Bay

Meeting dates for the following locations remain the same:

Date Location Time
Venue
Thursday 3 Feb 2011 Noosa 7-9pm Ivory Palms Resort
73 Hilton Terrace, Noosaville
Monday 7 Feb 2011
Mooloolaba 7-9pm Landmark Resort
Cnr Mooloolaba Esplanade and Burnett Street, Mooloolaba

Tuesday 8 Feb 2011 Caloundra 7-9pm The Events Centre
20 Minchinto Street, Caloundra

Wednesday 9 Feb 2011 Redcliffe 7-9pm Redcliff Leagues Club
Cnr Klingner and Ashmole Roads, Redcliffe

Thursday 10 Feb 2011 Wynnum 7-9pm Wynnum RSL
174 Tingal Road, Wynnum

Monday 14 Feb 2011
Victoria Point 7-9pm Redland Bowls Club
3 Poinciana Avenue, Victoria Point

Tuesday 15 Feb 2011 Southport 7-9pm Sharks Club
Cnr Musgrave and Olsen Avenue, Southport

“We strongly encourage anyone with an interest in snapper or other rocky reef fin fish species like pearl perch, teraglin, or mahi mahi to come along to these meetings.

“The meetings provide information for people to understand the issues around the sustainability of these species, and give people the opportunity to discuss the options presented in the recently released Regulatory Impact Statement.

“Responses to the RIS close on 5pm, Friday, 8 April 2011 - a response form can be downloaded at www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or completed online at www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au

Neil&family
16-02-2011, 09:51 PM
To be honest, I won't be getting out there in the next 6 weeks.
I still Submitted a good winge though.

I wonder why Coral trout are not included. Seems to be harder to find a bag of them.

Bluey
17-02-2011, 06:10 AM
I wonder why Coral trout are not included. Seems to be harder to find a bag of them.

That you can probably blame on the live trout fishery

Scooby Steve
17-02-2011, 05:47 PM
The missus was cleaning out a couple of boxes I had and found this. Used to hang in my bar years ago. They were taken of between 1989 and 1990

From left to right and down

1. 14 ft tiger shark hanging from the hiab sea crane on the back deck of fisheries patrol vessel Wauri at Sunday Is on the east cost of Cape York. That's me on the left and the white dots you see on the shark are bullet holes from my mini 14 used to dispatch him. The other bloke is Graham Hirakawa (Ahbung) a fisheries officer from Thursday Island.

2. Mackerel Vs Shark in the Torres Strait. No prizes for guessing who lost

3. GT taken on a 60lb hand line at Princess Charlotte Bay. That bugger wore me out and wrecked me hands. That is a XXXX beer can in his gob. Could not weigh him so never knew how big he was. Just big.

Can you eat tiger shark? Because there would be a bucket load of flake right there.

Bluey
17-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Can you eat tiger shark? Because there would be a bucket load of flake right there.

Lol...can't see why not they have no hesitation eating us. But we did not eat that one. No one does up north or at least no one I know. We did use a fair bit of it though. Cut it up for crab pot bait

courty
17-02-2011, 06:28 PM
To be honest, I won't be getting out there in the next 6 weeks.
I still Submitted a good winge though.

Neil
From my understanding of it the Rocky Reef Fin Fish Fishery(jeez thats a mouthful) concentrates on the southern reef species hence the Rocky bit,trout would come under different surveys and research.

RSM-Gazza
18-02-2011, 10:11 PM

After 3 approaching 4 long months my new double+ Panel Garage door is sitting outside ready for fittment this Sunday.

No need to bash the ruined door down now, which is in busted up in security down position.
I will somehow schedule two days offffff minimum to launch my treasured beast pic below to GO FISHING along with some WOT excitement.

I've waited since the 25th Nov last year to get this door replaced as I haven't been able to get my tub out which sits in a shed deep within my backyard that needs to be towed through the main outside doors.

I sit out there polishing it, lubricating vital engine/power tilt parts/ charging the battery and mucking around with tackle gear to keep me fired up.(Off course over a coldie or two)

Well finally that B**dly panel door is getting fixed to enable a fishing, h2o experience to be had again.*

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/medium/Bim_Shed.JPG

Neil&family
18-02-2011, 10:16 PM
We wanna see the business end too Garry. Or do Chonda's make outboards too lol.

RSM-Gazza
18-02-2011, 10:31 PM
We wanna see the business end too Garry. Or do Chonda's make outboards too lol.

Yamaha all the way, wish they made mowers too with wet enabled SP's.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/medium/100_36511.jpg

Neil&family
18-02-2011, 10:46 PM
My words exactly.

Redlandsguy
19-02-2011, 02:08 PM

I understand that the east coast snapper are a different genus to the southern ones you get Bluey and they do spawn up this way. Why the ban is on now is what has me baffled as it is my understanding that they come into the shallower reefs in winter to spawn so a February closure has little bearing on improving the so called depleted stocks.

Being a cynical bastard I think it has everything to do with Bligh paying back the Greens and hoping to garner their support and preferences for the next election that she claims won't happen until it is due next year. (Anyone want to put a couple of bob on this not happening?) The DPI&F called for a working party made up of representatives from the various interest groups, rec fisherman, commercial and charter groups. They all squabbled a little but had some relatively decent proposals to put up but were told nuh! Your options are unpalatable, unpalatable and totally unacceptable, choose! DERM have based their conclusions that there is a depleted fishery on poor and haphazard research and are now talking about a $90 licence fee for snapper only. After they jam that into us what is next, another licence fee for bream then whiting etc etc?

I went offshore, out of Manly, today in the first good weather on a weekend in ages. There were 2 boats on Harry Atkinson's Arti, which would normally be chockers with 30 boats or more fishing there, and there was maybe a dozen boats trolling for palagics outside. No one was on the rocky reefs and the trailer park at the ramp was virtually empty. Pity the poor bait shops, tackle shops, servos and chandleries after 6 weeks of this let alone 4 months, one of the options DERM is foisting on us!

Bligh may have looked good in the floods, but lets face it, when you are playing one on one and the other guy isn't allowed out of the sheds and you have a dozen coaches as back up you should look good. It just shows how bad the hand puppet (Gillard) was that she looked so totally ineffectual. Bligh is taking the cheap shots at the ineffectual fisherman to appease the greens rather then have the DERM, where her husband is a senior public servant after being appointed by her, do what they should be doing and stop the destruction of habitat. This might upset some developers and money men so we can't do that.

By the way, the fish weren't biting either. one rat yellowfin tuna and a couple of half strikes was today's result.

Redlandsguy
20-02-2011, 10:25 AM
I am a bit perplexed by this. Snapper don't breed in Qld or am I wrong? So why ban the taking of them when they move up the coast

I understand that the east coast snapper are a different genus to the southern ones you get Bluey and they do spawn up this way. Why the ban is on now is what has me baffled as it is my understanding that they come into the shallower reefs in winter to spawn so a February closure has little bearing on improving the so called depleted stocks.

Being a cynical bastard I think it has everything to do with Bligh paying back the Greens and hoping to garner their support and preferences for the next election that she claims won't happen until it is due next year. (Anyone want to put a couple of bob on this not happening?) The DPI&F called for a working party made up of representatives from the various interest groups, rec fisherman, commercial and charter groups. They all squabbled a little but had some relatively decent proposals to put up but were told nuh! Your options are unpalatable, unpalatable and totally unacceptable, choose! DERM have based their conclusions that there is a depleted fishery on poor and haphazard research and are now talking about a $90 licence fee for snapper only. After they jam that into us what is next, another licence fee for bream then whiting etc etc?

I went offshore, out of Manly, today in the first good weather on a weekend in ages. There were 2 boats on Harry Atkinson's Arti, which would normally be chockers with 30 boats or more fishing there, and there was maybe a dozen boats trolling for palagics outside. No one was on the rocky reefs and the trailer park at the ramp was virtually empty. Pity the poor bait shops, tackle shops, servos and chandleries after 6 weeks of this let alone 4 months, one of the options DERM is foisting on us!

Bligh may have looked good in the floods, but lets face it, when you are playing one on one and the other guy isn't allowed out of the sheds and you have a dozen coaches as back up you should look good. It just shows how bad the hand puppet (Gillard) was that she looked so totally ineffectual. Bligh is taking the cheap shots at the ineffectual fisherman to appease the greens rather then have the DERM, where her husband is a senior public servant after being appointed by her, do what they should be doing and stop the destruction of habitat. This might upset some developers and money men so we can't do that.

By the way, the fish weren't biting either. one rat yellowfin tuna and a couple of half strikes was today's result.[/QUOTE]

Scooby Steve
26-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Elephant fish starting to pop up in Western Port.

Scooby Steve
02-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Snapper back on the bite again in Port Phillip and plenty of whiting in Western Port especially around the middle spit.

Fred's mowing
03-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Elephant fish starting to pop up in Western Port.

Elephant sharks r the ugliest fish ever!
Cheers Dean.

courty
03-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Elephant sharks r the ugliest fish ever!
Cheers Dean.

Rexy used to love em on his show,I hope his taste in ladies of the night was better:D

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
03-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Nice eating fish. Watch the spines though.

Have been some good size gars and whiting at Corinella.

The Local Gardener
03-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Nice eating fish. Watch the spines though.

Have been some good size gars and whiting at Corinella.

any gummies at corinella

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
03-03-2011, 11:04 PM
any gummies at corinella

A few but only small

Redlandsguy
04-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Still quiet on the pelagic front. Did a lot of trolling on the weekend for nada. Not a bird in sight. Neighbour went out Sunday for 1 Wahoo.

hjl
23-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Hi
Any freshwater fisho's here?
I have only fished in saltwater once. Is Boreen Point saltwater? I caught a bream about 10 inchs long & I was about to throw him back. My mate with me went crazy saying thats a big bream & you can't throw him back so we ate him.
Normally fish for catfish,goldern perch(yellow belly) & murray cod.
On the 20/2/11 I caught my first murray cod on a lure.He was only 50 cm so he had to go back.
Cheers
hjl

Scooby Steve
05-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi
Any freshwater fisho's here?
I have only fished in saltwater once. Is Boreen Point saltwater? I caught a bream about 10 inchs long & I was about to throw him back. My mate with me went crazy saying thats a big bream & you can't throw him back so we ate him.
Normally fish for catfish,goldern perch(yellow belly) & murray cod.
On the 20/2/11 I caught my first murray cod on a lure.He was only 50 cm so he had to go back.
Cheers
hjl

Hi hjl, down here in Vic i enjoy trout fishing at Eildon Pondage as well as in the Goulburn and Yarra Rivers, chasing redfin at Lake Nillacootie and murray Cod and yellow belly in the Murray. With work being so busy i haven't been freshwater fishing for a while but love it when i go. Sunny skys, calm water, a nice beverage, good company, the fish are just a bonus.

courty
05-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Only a week and a half to go and I'll be in the Whitsundays for a week:p if the rain ever stops up there:i dunno:

Scooby Steve
05-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Only a week and a half to go and I'll be in the Whitsundays for a week:p if the rain ever stops up there:i dunno:

And what a beautiful place that is. Which part are you going to courty?

I've been to Brampton Island and the national park opposite and it was absolutely beautiful. Perfect weather, good food, it was the first place i tried morten bay bugs yum, ooh and the honey glazed bacon that greated me every day for breakfast, and the snorkeling 50 metres from our room, the fishing, the way the mountains rise out of the beautiful blue sea,it really is a magic place and it started my love affair with Queensland.

courty
05-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Scoob
We're staying in Airlie.A mate and his wife are heading up for 2 weeks.he's towing his 6 mtr sportfisher up,we're flying up.Plan is whilst the girls are occupied with snorkeling,sunbaking,sightseeing etc we will get to fish our arses off:laughing:

Scooby Steve
06-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Scoob
We're staying in Airlie.A mate and his wife are heading up for 2 weeks.he's towing his 6 mtr sportfisher up,we're flying up.Plan is whilst the girls are occupied with snorkeling,sunbaking,sightseeing etc we will get to fish our arses off:laughing:

Nice work mate, tight lines. You will have to fill us in when you get back.

Bluey
06-04-2011, 10:46 PM
No pics for a while so I dug out a nice compilation of a barra I released on the top end of the Staaten River in FNQ in 1993. Two of us caught 25 up to this size in about 3 hrs. We kept one just over legal size to eat that night and released the rest.

We had driven in towards the tail end of the wet season to catch some poachers who thought they were invincible. Got bogged 13 times getting there but we busted the poachers then took a couple of days off to shoot pig, catch fish and relax.

Scooby Steve
07-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Nice fish there Blue, bet you'd like to get back up there at some stage.

Bluey
07-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Nice fish there Blue, bet you'd like to get back up there at some stage.

Actually planning a trip back up with my old boss

courty
07-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Nice work bluey
Good to see someone handling fish properly that are destined to be released as well.

Fred's mowing
10-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Took Thurs/Friday off & went fishing at Big river.
Caught 8 redfin, 6 rainbows & 2 blackfish.
Only took 1 rainbow home & released the rest, must admit though , some were pretty small:o, but still great fun catchin em.
Cheers Fred.

Scooby Steve
10-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Took Thurs/Friday off & went fishing at Big river.
Caught 8 redfin, 6 rainbows & 2 blackfish.
Only took 1 rainbow home & released the rest, must admit though , some were pretty small:o, but still great fun catchin em.
Cheers Fred.

Nice mix there mate, the blackfish are a rare get nowadays aren't they? Can i ask what you caught the fish on.

Fred's mowing
10-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Nice mix there mate, the blackfish are a rare get nowadays aren't they? Can i ask what you caught the fish on.
Scrubby's. Blackfish r weird lookin things. They have spots like a leopard . They're native & from what Ive read only migrate about 30m from where they're born.
Sure slippery to handle, way more than the refin or trout.
Also had a couple of follows on the lure but at the rate they were biting on the worms, ite easier to sit back with a stubbie & wait 4 the bells 2 go off!;)
Cheers Fred.

geoff1969
10-04-2011, 05:12 PM
the blackfish are a rare get nowadays aren't they?

black fish in the upper parts of the yarra are a dime a dozen scooby , just wait till half hour after dark and worms fished on the bottom , just have to go care full handling them make sure your hands are wet as the slimy **** there covered in is there protection = same as eels

Bluey
10-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Speaking of eels do any of you blokes fish for them and eat them. We used to when I was a kid and if prepared properly they make a great feed.

The Local Gardener
10-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Speaking of eels do any of you blokes fish for them and eat them. We used to when I was a kid and if prepared properly they make a great feed.

i used to fish for them at a place called carrabean garderns in south east of melb, as to how to prepare not sure and yes a terrific feed.

Bluey
11-04-2011, 09:13 AM
i used to fish for them at a place called carrabean garderns in south east of melb, as to how to prepare not sure and yes a terrific feed.

The way my old man did it was to skin and gut them and then take out the black fat layer that runs down the back of the gut cavity. He then cut them into pieces soaked them overnight in salty water. Next morning get them out and dry them off and roll them in flour and pan fry. Bloody yum. The old man reckoned it was the black fat that gave them a poor taste if you left it in. The skinning was the hardest part but was pretty easy once you knew how. You have to have a good pair of pinchers and cut the skin right round just behind the head then grab the skin with the pinchers and pull it off with one movement. That way all the slime stays on the skin not the meat or you.

Scooby Steve
11-04-2011, 07:04 PM
the blackfish are a rare get nowadays aren't they?

black fish in the upper parts of the yarra are a dime a dozen scooby , just wait till half hour after dark and worms fished on the bottom , just have to go care full handling them make sure your hands are wet as the slimy **** there covered in is there protection = same as eels

I didn't know that Geoff i thought they were hard to get, good to know i am definately keen to have a crack at them, thanks for the tips.

geoff1969
11-04-2011, 07:16 PM
I didn't know that Geoff i thought they were hard to get, good to know i am definately keen to have a crack at them, thanks for the tips.

just need slow moving water in around the logs etc after dark any where from launching place right up through to refton in the yarra stay away from scrub worms to tuff just nice fat garden worms with heaps of earthy smells on them ..easy way to stop geting the slime **** on you is real them in hold the rod up with eel hanging from line and lower them into a plastic bag then grab them around the neck = from neck down is in the bag and your using the bag to grip thenm = stops them from wraping them selves around your arm ..

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
13-04-2011, 11:17 PM

I've caught them in a small creek near Mirboo north just take the head off and throw straight on the hot coals from the camp fire. Taste like .......you guessed it .....chicken.

Have caught some big ones near the tower in the bunyip river just outside of Tooriden too. Got them home started cleaning them up and one of my neighbours said don't eat them. Apparently too much in the way of nasty things in the water there from all the farming properties in the area.

Fred's mowing
20-04-2011, 07:30 PM
There you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=x3Bf0WhvsNk

Bgs
20-04-2011, 09:19 PM
There you go

That is amazing:dance you see mullet jumping in the creeks and rivers up here but nothing like that

Scooby Steve
20-04-2011, 09:24 PM
There you go

Unbelievable, great footage.

Bluey
20-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Yes it was. I once got knocked clean out of a 12 ft RIB by a big mullet at the mouth of the Hull river on patrol in the QBFP. I was training up a new probationary and we had launched form our mothership offshore to hit the river. We did it fast with no spotlights until we really needed them. I knew the river well and had a good run in tide. I told the newbie not to use the spotty until I said so. Mainly to stay hid but also because I knew these big mullet came here on these tides and when you hit them with a spotty they leap like crazy.

Well the newbie just couldn't help himself and lit things up as we were roaring around the portside channel. All I saw was big mullet flying everywhere at speed. The next thing I knew I saw a silver flash and felt a bang and I was in the water feeling like I had been hit by a baseball bat. The kill switch activated as I went west but the boat had enough speed up to go 6 foot up a sand bank and throw the proby out head first. I could stand up in the channel so walked over to the bank and sat down seeing stars. The proby came back spitting out sand and asked if I was ok. Let me tell ya I didn't hold back. Got the skipper on the radio and told him I think I had a broken collar bone and he better come get me. To cut a long story short I didn't break anything but had a bruise from my neck to the bottom of my ribs. Hurt like sh**.

courty
21-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Haven't really hit the fishing hard yet,tomorrows the day,but the last two nights dinners have consisted of muddies,mangrove jacks and porterhouse steaks so doing ok

geoff
21-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Haven't really hit the fishing hard yet,tomorrows the day,but the last two nights dinners have consisted of muddies,mangrove jacks and porterhouse steaks so doing ok

good on ya courty life sweet mate though think i would just stick with the steak and muddies as a topping:laughing::laughing:

ian
22-04-2011, 12:17 AM

gee mate where are you catching the porterhouse steaks :laughing:

Bluey
22-04-2011, 07:31 AM
gee mate where are you catching the porterhouse steaks :laughing:

lol...yeah and what bait are you using

Scooby Steve
22-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Sweet chilli muddies yes please, photos courty when you get back.

Bluey
22-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Sweet chilli muddies yes please, photos courty when you get back.

I have 2 muddies that I am going to do just that to tonight. Bit exy here in SA but couldn't help myself.

courty
27-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Back to reality :-(
Fish wise it wasn't the greatest trip but had a lot of fun and explored a lot of territory for further investigation. Only spent 2 days on the water for a few memorable bust offs and missed hook ups with big GT's on poppers.
First day we arrived our friends had venture up towards Bowen with another mate who lives in the area,they returned that night with the muddies and Jack fillets.

This is what was left after the first sitting
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/IMG_0267.jpg

Headed out to Dingoe Beach for a look and some lunch.Last time I was here was 30 years ago,pub looks the same just a few more houses. They do make a good burger though.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/IMG_0265.jpg
and the view from the pub is pretty good
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/IMG_0263.jpg
Next day we headed out around Double Cone Islands for a fish,not a lot to be had,I had a couple of memorable bust offs on plastics fishing in 7 meters of water and we seen a couple of GT's in the 60lb class but couldn't get a bite.
Small Grey Mack for my mate
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/IMG_0276.jpg
A little cod whose mouth was bigger than his belly
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/IMG_0282.jpg

Dinner time,to be continued

Scooby Steve
27-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Nice work courty, hard life hey fishing and drinking in such a beautiful place.

Bluey
27-04-2011, 08:08 PM
I am amazed you could fit the burger in after all those muddies. Sure is a BIG burger

Scooby Steve
30-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Salmon running hot hot hot off Beaumaris pier on lures. Great weather for fishing at the minute gotta love autumn in Melbourne.

Redeye
30-04-2011, 08:52 PM
kingies to 20kg off the rocks the last 2 weeks here

Scooby Steve
01-05-2011, 09:24 AM
For those of you with a boat big snapper off Mount Martha in Port Phillip, my mate caught 4 last week biggest was 7kg the smallest was 4kg.

Scooby Steve
22-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Pinkie Snapper on soft plastics off Black Rock, Port Phillip Bay.

Redeye
22-07-2011, 02:58 PM
reds are great on soft plastics aren't they!! funny how slow us aussies were to this, the kiwi's were catching big reds on jigs back in the 70's

Scooby Steve
22-07-2011, 04:50 PM
reds are great on soft plastics aren't they!! funny how slow us aussies were to this, the kiwi's were catching big reds on jigs back in the 70's

Your so right Redeye i remember as a teenager other fisho's telling me not to buy that crap it wont catch you any fish now look at it. As pillies start nudging or even passing $15 for a block these plastics start looking better and better. I know some blokes that dont use real bait anymore funny how things change hey.

courty
22-07-2011, 05:02 PM
The yanks had been using plastics for decades but when Berkley brought out the scented bio degradable Gulp range they went crazy.When I was in the tackle game you couldn't keep the bloody things on the shelf.We had a list of customers we had to ring when new stock arrived so they could get in first for the "hot colours".They were a blessing for the tackle industry at the time.

Scooby Steve
30-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Stabicraft boats are having a free test day and sausage sizzle at Patterson River Vic on the 7th of August if anyone is interested in boats. Ring MY Marine to book. If your not looking to buy just pretend and get a free feed and a spin on the water while your at it. And no i'm not getting any kickbacks i just love boats.

Redeye
30-07-2011, 08:56 PM
great boats when the going gets rough

Scooby Steve
30-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi Redeye yeah they are a great design but like a lot of new boats they are not cheap.

Do you get out fishing much yourself Redeye?

Redeye
01-08-2011, 08:06 PM
strangely enough, not much - I'm vice pres of Currarong Fishing Club/Life Member but haven't had the time or inclination lately. Was mad keen at live baiting off the rocks for big'uns when much younger, more a nigger/drummer fisho these days

courty
21-08-2011, 12:09 PM
If I was 20 yrs younger(and single) this would be my religion
Summer in the Florida Keys worshiping at the altar of the Tarpon

http://www.waterlinemedia.tv/riding-high-a-season-on-the-fly

Bluey
22-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Great fish the Tarpon Courty. I used to fish for them at the wharfs in Cairns under the lights. They hit like freight trains and on light gear they are great fun. Hard to hook with that hard roofed mouth they have. Pity they are crap eating. Good fun on a balmy night though.

Scooby Steve
22-08-2011, 08:56 PM
If I was 20 yrs younger(and single) this would be my religion
Summer in the Florida Keys worshiping at the altar of the Tarpon

http://www.waterlinemedia.tv/riding-high-a-season-on-the-fly

Having trouble with my computer at the minute courty so its taking way too long to load what you put up but i cant wait to view it. Warm weather good fishing what more could you want.

Snapper season about 2 months away down here u beauty!

courty
22-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Having trouble with my computer at the minute courty so its taking way too long to load what you put up but i cant wait to view it. Warm weather good fishing what more could you want.

Snapper season about 2 months away down here u beauty!
Scooby
It might be that it's shot in HD,just click on the HD button to view it normally

Scooby Steve
22-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Scooby
It might be that it's shot in HD,just click on the HD button to view it normally

Nah its my computer its taking ages to load everything at the minute must be all those dodgy sites my wife goes to :marilyn thats clogging it up.

Bluey
22-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Nah its my computer its taking ages to load everything at the minute must be all those dodgy sites my wife goes to :marilyn thats clogging it up.

Are you using the latest Firefox Craig. I am having a similar issue since I updated firefox.

Scooby Steve
23-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Are you using the latest Firefox Craig. I am having a similar issue since I updated firefox.

Nah i dont think i am i have been told by my service provider that it is because we have gone over our limit for internet usage for the month so apparently thats the reason it has slowed to a crawl.

Scooby Steve
23-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Complete Angler in Bentleigh/Moorabbin (nepean hwy Vic) is having a massive sale on fishing gear this weekend if anyone is interested. They usually have some really good bargains but it pays to get there early for the best stuff.

The Local Gardener
25-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Complete Angler in Bentleigh/Moorabbin (nepean hwy Vic) is having a massive sale on fishing gear this weekend if anyone is interested. They usually have some really good bargains but it pays to get there early for the best stuff.

Scoob, I know the fella very well who runs and owns the fishing tackle store just off Stud Rd, he always has specials. I used to fish with him a lot. Go in and say hello, tell him you know Kaka...

Scooby Steve
25-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Scoob, I know the fella very well who runs and owns the fishing tackle store just off Stud Rd, he always has specials. I used to fish with him a lot. Go in and say hello, tell him you know Kaka...

Local g if i mention Kaka is he going to charge me double lol.

Your not trying to set me up r ya doesn't kaka mean a dirty word in some languages?

The Local Gardener
25-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Local g if i mention Kaka is he going to charge me double lol.

Your not trying to set me up r ya doesn't kaka mean a dirty word in some languages?

No not at all.. No set up here scoob, kaka as in cacka..

Scooby Steve
18-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Even though the water temp is still low snapper are starting to come into the bay in half decent numbers, a nice fish was caught off Mordialloc pier during the week.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
18-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Even though the water temp is still low snapper are starting to come into the bay in half decent numbers, a nice fish was caught off Mordialloc pier during the week.

KaKa means Bludger, doesn't it? :p

Scooby Steve
28-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Tried to go out in Port Phillip today for a days fishing but the weather didn't want to play along cruised the river for a while until the storm come in and it was time to go home. Once the lightening started i thought yeah its time to go home.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
28-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Tried to go out in Port Phillip today for a days fishing but the weather didn't want to play along cruised the river for a while until the storm come in and it was time to go home. Once the lightening started i thought yeah its time to go home.

Today. Talk about Keen

Scooby Steve
02-10-2011, 01:00 PM
For any land based fisho's in Vic metro I'm still getting reliable reports on Snapper being caught from Mordialloc pier.

Scooby Steve
29-10-2011, 05:25 AM
How come everytime you get a day off to go fishing its blowing 20 knots and churning up 1-1.5 metre waves!

When you can get out both Port Phillip and Western Port are fishing well for Snapper, after all this rain Patterson River is going to fish well too especially down river where the water spills over the embankment.

Scooby Steve
29-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Trying something different this year instead of anchoring on a spot what we do is try to find a decent school of fish on the sounder and just keep hovering over the school dropping baits or plastics on there heads until they move to there next feeding ground then we follow them and repeat what we just did. Really good way to fish if you can afford the fuel bill. Finding a big enough school is the hard part!

courty
01-11-2011, 10:55 PM
I love this job,my place is going to be full of 12 yr old girls this weekend for my daughters birthday sleepover.Mrs Courty just gave me permission to disappear for the weekend.So I'm off for a bit of trout fishing and country pubbing.Will push Fridays work to Thursday and piss off early friday morning.Report and pics to follow:cool::cool::cool:

PaulG
01-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Half your luck! What general vicinity do you go trout fishing in SEQ? (No need to give away secret spots though!)

courty
01-11-2011, 11:50 PM
No trout in Qld mate,I'm heading for Ebor,about 75km's this side of Armidale.Blueys home ground.
I normally get down there a couple of times each season but I missed last year. Good to get out into the country side,drink a few beers with the locals at the pub and clear the head.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/2005_1001openingweekend10060026.jpg

The fish aren't big but they are pretty and the country side is fantastic

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/2005_1001openingweekend10060020.jpg

PaulG
01-11-2011, 11:51 PM
There you go then. That'd be why I've never heard of trout in Qld :cool:.

I agree - it's nice country down there.

Scooby Steve
02-11-2011, 04:50 PM
I was just going to ask where the trout were in Qld (apart from the coral variety) as i thought it was too hot for them there.

Courty if you are ever in Vic up around Lake Eildon is great trout fishing, around Mount Beauty too both places have lovely country side as well which as you know is half the joy of it all, the fish are just a bonus.

Scooby Steve
02-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Speaking of Lake Eildon the golden perch are starting to fire and the small redfin seem to be in massive numbers. Small tip- the golden perch will be in the shallower water till the water temps start to rise.

Fred's mowing
02-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Scoob, where on the pondage was that spot?
Im headed up this W/end.
Cheers Fred.

Scooby Steve
03-11-2011, 06:49 AM
I cant give that spot away on a public forum give me a call and i'll fill you in. Really most of the pondage has decent spots to fish it depends on the water levels and insect activity as to where i head. I've found when its between 30% and 60% full is when i catch the most trout (mainly browns) fish usually range from 500g to 3kg there is some carp in there nowadays as well unfortunately.

Now a question for you so i can point you in the right direction.

R u using bait, flies, lures or soft plastics?

When i'm fishing there I usually fish 3 rods one with a mudeye under a bubble float that can be filled with water so i can easily adjust the depth, one with a sinker baited with a worm and the other i work up and down the area i'm fishing with lures, the best lure i have used there is a rapalla brown trout pattern hardly misses.

Ring me and i will tell you the spot that hardly ever fails (u could need waders though), try to find out how full she is before you call.

I expect pics when you return and some bragging!

courty
03-11-2011, 06:14 PM
I was just going to ask where the trout were in Qld (apart from the coral variety) as i thought it was too hot for them there.

Courty if you are ever in Vic up around Lake Eildon is great trout fishing, around Mount Beauty too both places have lovely country side as well which as you know is half the joy of it all, the fish are just a bonus.

Hey Scoob
NE Vic is on my to do list.I haven't really done much fishing in Vic besides a couple of trips to Millbrook Lakes,a private fishery out Ballarat way near Gordonvale.
This is a Millbrook fish from a few years back
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/2005_0422millbrook20050006.jpg
My mainstay is saltwater flyfishing but I really do love to get away trout fishing a couple of times a year,nice countryside,no early starts,no tide times to worry about,country pubs,it's all good.
Swags in the ute.......check
tackle is in the ute.....check
Couple of shirts......... check
one change of undies(turn em inside out when they need it)........ check
Beer money.......... check
9 hours and I'm off,have fun mowing tomorrow boys and girls.

Redlandsguy
03-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Geez Courty, a bit more notice next time. Not much at the fly fishing but have got the country pub bit down to a T. And I have the beer money as well.

Fred's mowing
03-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Lazy fisherman, I use worms & wait 4 the bells to go off.
I like to sit in my chair drinking beer, sometimes I fall asleep, thats where the bells come in!
If Im bored, I'll cast lures.
Tying flies??? I have enough trouble threading the hook, the more I drink, the harder it gets.
Cheers Fred.

Bluey
04-11-2011, 07:18 PM
No trout in Qld mate,I'm heading for Ebor,about 75km's this side of Armidale.Blueys home ground.
I normally get down there a couple of times each season but I missed last year. Good to get out into the country side,drink a few beers with the locals at the pub and clear the head.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/2005_1001openingweekend10060026.jpg

The fish aren't big but they are pretty and the country side is fantastic

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/2005_1001openingweekend10060020.jpg

Yep Ebor is a great trout spot Courty. I used to go down there as a kid with my Dad and Uncle. One of my dads old army mates lived there. I remember catching some big trout down that way. The McDonald River used to run past where I lived on Congi Station. Now that river had some really big trout back then. I was up there not that long ago. Most of the big holes have silted up. Bloody useless farmers over grazing sheep have caused irreparable damage. I walked a stretch of the river where I used to catch nice trout. Now just sand flats with 6 inches of water on them. And this has all happened in the space of 40 to 50 years. Damn shame.

courty
05-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Courty's feeling very relaxed.Sitting outside the Ebor pub on my second schooner of Old with a few more to come
Have caught a few fish,chased a few snakes(or maybe they chased me,bloody tigers)life's good

courty
07-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Back in the real world now:(

I hit the road at 3.00am Friday morning with a little Scott H Biram to keep me company

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0TDDBLHreE

Rolled in to Ebor about 7.45am. I was the first to arrive(a few guys from the Fly fishing club I'm in were heading down as well)
Our accommodation
Thats my swag outside,Being that I snore like a grizzly I thought I'd just set it up outside rather than at 3 in the morning when they kicked me out
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/PB050013.jpg

Weather was a bit all over the place,as were the snakes,got socially excited at the pub a bit and had a fine old time.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/PB040005.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/PB080052-1.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/PB040010.jpg

Scooby Steve
07-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Courty that scenary looks prime snake country did you come across any of them in your travels?

Bluey
07-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Oh trust me. Ebor is the home of tigers and red belly blacks

courty
07-11-2011, 08:24 PM
1 tiger and 2 browns within about 10 mins on saturday.I called out to the Hatchery on Friday morning when I got there to say G'day to the manager who's always been helpful. First thing he said was "watch out for the snakes" and he's never even mentioned snakes before:frightene

Bluey
07-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Breeding time.

courty
17-12-2011, 07:06 PM
This threads been a bit quiet lately. Unfortunately this is not my fish but a clients from a week ago on a charter with my best mate.
The charter was a private one,$500 half day for this sort of fishing. The guy was hesitant at first(sounds like some of our customers) but after the first half day he ended up fishing another two 1/2 day charters whilst on holidays. He ended up with 6 jewies and a few other assorted critters,this being the best of them at 1.2mtrs

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/photo-4-4.jpg

Redeye
17-12-2011, 08:50 PM
been some good kingies here lately 8-14kg, great fun!

Scooby Steve
17-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Nice fish courty and not easy to catch either.

Snapper going gang busters here, flathead also doing well.

School and gummy shark going nuts around full moon time on the surf beaches.

Flathead tails soaked in no name sweet chilli sauce overnight then cooked in a fry pan served with beer battered chips and a salad. And a cold one of course! Yum.

Scooby Steve
17-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Fred you had better pay attention to this a blue-green algae warning has been issued for Lake Eildon and Lake Eppalock not really nice stuff to play with so be careful if your fishing up that way. Warnings can be withdrawn at anytime so research it yourself for the lastest info. Poor buggars have just gotten over the drought and now this hits right on holiday time.

Fred's mowing
22-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Fred you had better pay attention to this a blue-green algae warning has been issued for Lake Eildon and Lake Eppalock not really nice stuff to play with so be careful if your fishing up that way. Warnings can be withdrawn at anytime so research it yourself for the lastest info. Poor buggars have just gotten over the drought and now this hits right on holiday time.

Just saw this & how happy am I!
Caught a nice brown 410 long last W/end as well as another small brown, a rainbow & 2 redfin.
Spose I was at Big river rather than in the lake, water was crystal clear.
Had I seen this, I would have thought twice, glad I did'nt!
30 mins on roast in the baby q...............Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
Will try to get the kids to post up a pic.
Cheers Fred.

Scooby Steve
07-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Anyone know how to get photo's off photobucket and onto here?

Tried but no image just a box with an x on it.

courty
07-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Scooby
Hover your mouse over the image you want,left click on IMG code which copies the link then come back here and paste it into your post.
Hope that makes sense

Scooby Steve
10-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Cheers Courty.

Did anyone see the repeat episode of Ifish on tv the other day they were fly fishing in a private lake in Tassie and caught a 9lb trout an absolute monster.

PaulG
10-01-2012, 09:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7pWzE-zs1c&feature=player_embedded

Scooby Steve
10-01-2012, 09:46 PM
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l530/888ScoobySteve/Mobile%20Phone%20Photos/2011-11-05_065115.jpg

Some pictures of some Port Phillip Bay Snapper

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l530/888ScoobySteve/Mobile%20Phone%20Photos/2011-11-05_094018.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l530/888ScoobySteve/Mobile%20Phone%20Photos/2011-11-05_094040.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l530/888ScoobySteve/Mobile%20Phone%20Photos/2011-10-23_072557.jpg

And below a 143kg Tuna caught off Apollo Bay

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l530/888ScoobySteve/Mobile%20Phone%20Photos/PART_1325837855468.jpg

First time i've used photobucket so we will see if i've done it right.

PaulG
10-01-2012, 09:48 PM
That's the life Scoob! Can't wait to get out and do some ocean fishing again some time. It's been about 6 or 7 years since my last trip.

Scooby Steve
10-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks Paul thats the one.

Stump
11-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Going down to Portland next week, so can't wait to wet a line. Will be going back at Easter for a spot of Tuna Fishing too. I lived their for a number of years and was out at least 3 days a week.

Fred's mowing
11-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Nice fish Scoob, nice fluro shirt too;frosty;.
Cheers Fred.

Scooby Steve
15-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Whiting being caught in big numbers in Western Port my fishing bud fished the Middle Spit area and landed 40 fish, doing well in Port Phillip too. For those without a boat u can hire one from Yaringa Boat harbour as well as Ryhll down Phillip Island way and catch them within 5 mins of where u launch from.

Redeye
27-01-2012, 11:10 AM
marlin are on here, we weighed in a 151kg black marlin on Tuesday for a young bloke, caught off the rocks at The Tubes - should be a new Australian & possibly world record.
this is what its like (language!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXWiEP8ROO0&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLE6AB578BE78F8856

Redeye
27-01-2012, 11:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4WbS8UZnQU&feature=plcp&context=C3a2b52dUDOEgsToPDskLd6ZW4Mz9DMdvb0orc6erP

Bluey
28-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Some nice fish there Ian. How do they get them out of there. The only fishing I ever did in JB was off the back of a warship. We did do a bit one night with the old anti submarine mortars. That was fun.

Biscuits
28-01-2012, 04:45 PM
The Queenies are biting well along the Tweed river, I knocked off a few around the 75cm mark, and my daughter brought in this one by herself about 50 > 55cm. Great little sport fish, and apparently not a bad feed either? All put back in the water as I am waiting for the 1mtr + for the BBQ plate :) 4378

Scooby Steve
05-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Haven't seen the fish personally but two 100lb plus cod were caught at Eildon recently if i can get a copy of the photos i will.

courty
05-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Haven't seen the fish personally but two 100lb plus cod were caught at Eildon recently if i can get a copy of the photos i will.

Jeez I hope they weren't knocked on the head for the sake of a happy snap

Bluey
06-02-2012, 06:49 AM
They would have to be protected wouldn't they. Over here Murray Cod are catch and release only. You cannot even take them out of the water. But nice fish by the sound of it.

Scooby Steve
06-02-2012, 12:39 PM
You'd like to think they took the photo and then released the fish, i'll try to find out and also get a hold of the photos if i can. I looked up the record for a Murray Cod and it was 113kg what a monster to compare my AFL team's full forward (Jonathon Brown) currently weighs around the 100kg -105kg mark. As far as i'm aware they are not protected here within season but they do have size and bag restrictions. Plenty of big ones around again which is a nice thing.

Bluey
06-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Just had a look at Vic fisheries site

Common Name/s:
Murray cod

Scientific Name:

Maccullochella peelii

Legal size:
Minimum 60cm
Maximum 100cm

Bag/possession limit:

Landed whole or as a carcass (http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/recreational-fishing/fishing-definitions)

Closed season:

1 Sept-30 Nov inclusive.

So with that maximum size a fish of that weight would be protected I reckon.

Scooby Steve
06-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Most hardcore fisho's look down on guys that dont let fish like that go and with good reason. If your not going to eat them take a photo and let em go and with a fish of that weight make sure you support there weight when they r out of the water to minimise damage.