PDA

View Full Version : Internet Security

Gavsmown
31-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Any one have a more cost effective solution for internet security than paying $99-50 to update my Norton's 2003 version.

Cheers

Gav

Tonyr
31-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Hi Gav,

This one is popular...

http://www.grisoft.com

Talk to Ebony, Indy-Gal, she uses it.

Ebony
05-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Hi Guys

I do use that program, but I also use Norton. I guess you could call me paranoid lol.

I have had up to date version of norton, that is updated automatically, and still got one very damaging virus. That happened last year, I must have got it before Norton knew of it, two days later it was on teh news. Was the one that kept shutting down your computer. No real damage just couldn't use the computer until I got it fixed. Lucky for me, Gino does our computers and came down and fixed it for us.

I do like Norton, the one Tony has mentioned is the best free virus scanner i have found.

A good free fire wall program would be Zone Labs: www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

A great Free Spyware removal program (the best I have found) is Ad-Aware www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ If you have pop up windows all the time that type of thing.

Hope this helps

Ebony

Ebony
11-06-2004, 09:29 AM
OK, Since downloading msn messenger plus I have contracted some spyware, searchweb2, it has put a nice blue tool bar across the top of my borwser, a add across the bottom of my browser and pop ups left right and centre. It has taken over my homepage and I go into settings and change the home page, nope it goes and puts something infront of it so that it goes through the searchweb site before it goes to my homepage, then I get a pop up window.

:dean: Usually ad-aware gets rid of this type of thing, not this time. I then downloaded "Spybot - Search & Destroy" and that's a good program, it found some that ad-aware had not, including one that was really annoying me but didn't get rid of this searchweb.

Any suggestions to get rid of this would be more then welcomed, this one is driving me crazy!

Ebony

Ebony
11-06-2004, 03:44 PM
:clap: I got it all fixed

Thank goodness, wow that was way to difficult :dean:

I hate these things. Pretty much, incase anyone is ever unfortunate enough to get it...

Someone gave me a little program to remove it, but then said if it didn't work if you have a directory called C:\Program Files\Gram Idol, delete it in safe mode. Lucky for me the little patch worked and all is well.

Ebony

P.S. thank-you to the ever wise Baxta :) he is not on this forum, but he saved my sanity