PDA

View Full Version : HRU 215 Gearbox repairs

Brimmo
28-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Go easy on me because I am new here.
I have a 12 year Honda HRU 215SU to mow 1600 Square Metres. The gearbox started to leak oil after I removed some grass entangled around the axle. I have dismantled the gearbox and intend to replace the two axle seals and the rubber O ring between the two halves of the casing. The gears appear to be in excellent condition, is there anything else I should be concerned about?

How much oil do I have to put in the gearbox?
I am presuming it is regular automotive gear/diff oil like HD 90

Are the current Hondas as well built? :clap:
Considering the amount of work it has done for this transmission to be in such top condition, this machine is frankly unbelieveable.

If I did want to buy a new HRU216 (the current top of the range?) is there any particular shop in Sydney anyone would recommend?

simo
28-10-2009, 07:55 PM
G`day Brimmo I`ve rebuilt a couple of honda sp gear boxes and have used just honda engine oil as recommended by honda dealer & I put in approx 200ml....Happy mowing..

Brimmo
09-11-2009, 03:08 PM
G`day Brimmo I`ve rebuilt a couple of honda sp gear boxes and have used just honda engine oil as recommended by honda dealer & I put in approx 200ml....Happy mowing..

Very easy job to overhaul the gearbox.
I did, however, put gear oil in it since that's the smell of the oil that came out. A superbly engineered piece of machinery, new oil seals all round and she's going like a new one.

Thanks for you help
(and there I was thinking maybe I would be buying a new mower.)

63impala
09-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Is that all you have to do to rebild these is change the seals and new oil?????

Brimmo
09-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Is that all you have to do to rebild these is change the seals and new oil?????

I developed an oil leak after grass had wrapped itself around the axle and forced its way into one of the oil seals.

I disassembled the entire gearbox (easier to remove the old axle seals) and after inspecting the internal workings I discovered everything was in excellent condition so I did not need to replace any parts.