PDA

View Full Version : 195 oil in air filter ????

nblawnmowing
07-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Hi All
Have a Honda 195 used for small jobs
I am having a problem the air filter keeps on filling up with oil !!!!
Any ideas ???
Cheers Neil

GreenHaven
07-11-2009, 04:41 PM
either youve tilted the wrong way and oil has got into the cylinder (not fun) looks like a bush fire at your place for about 20 minutes when you finally get it started or its the oiled foam elemnt around the air filter which is normal and nessasary

Redeye
07-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Yeah' you're probably tilting it the wrong way loading on a trailer or something.ALWAYS keep the airfilter/carby UP!! :russ:

nblawnmowing
07-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi
I dont tilt the machine over !!!
But it literally soaks through the filter and drips out bottom onto body
Cheers Agan Neil

ian
07-11-2009, 09:40 PM
i had this problem with my 197 changed to a thicker oil seems to have stopped i'm now using 20w-50

DavidS
08-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Neil, it does not sound good, oil should not be getting into the airfilter. How old is the mower. It sounds like it pressurising the crankcase which allows oil into the airfilter.
Grease Monkey would have a better idea or take it to your local repairer.

kns
08-11-2009, 06:31 AM
Hi
I dont tilt the machine over !!!
But it literally soaks through the filter and drips out bottom onto body
Cheers Agan Neil

Check your oil level.
There is a pipe from your valve cover to air box which allows the engine to breath if you put too much oil in the oil can be forced out of this pipe and soak your filter as you describe

Nigel

bellarinelawns
13-11-2009, 07:10 AM
I've had the same problem. Spoke to my local Honda dealer. Conclusion was that the mower is old and the oil is escaping up the cylinder. Rings cost about $80, but after adding in labour, and other bits and pieces, it is not worth repairing. A new motor is about $500. But then a new motor on an old mower chassis is not a good option. A second hand mower can be got for around $500 or less.
In the interim you could take off the cowling to get access to the wire oil filter, it may be clogged...clean it. this might stop the problem. The other option is to plug the rubber hose. Also try using oil additives that can surface the cylinder, you might have some luck.

greasemonkey
13-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Normally caused by tipping the mower on its side. Always tilt it spark plug up..not carby or muffler...

Make sure the oil isn't over full as well.

Also the needle could be stuck open (worn needle and seat or dirt under it) causing machine to flood. Fuel seeps past the rings and fills up the crankcase and oil ends up EVERYWHERE! Other than that, could be buggered :-( I'd change the oil with some fresh stuff (normally holds around 600ml) give it a good run with a new filter (or even without a filter at all, just don't cut grass and let it run where there's no dust). See if the smoke clears itself.