PDA

View Full Version : bindi

geoff1969
11-11-2009, 06:41 PM
got an old lady who has a lawn with just about every type of grass growing in it but its like a realy thick carpet and actualy loks realy healthy but has started get bindi,s in it , i thought about bindi spray but that would proberly kill off most of her other grasses and weeds = she just wants solution to the bindis , havnt much experience in this any ideas what could be done ???????
cheers

Redeye
11-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Don't know about Melbourne, but its a couple of months too late in NSW to spray

Fred's mowing
11-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Try Bin Die, its a specifically designed spray for bindi. I think its fine with most other grasses, but make sure u check on the bottle.
Cheers Dean.

geoff1969
11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Don't know about Melbourne, but its a couple of months too late in NSW to spray

the story is i done a job for her shes about 80 years old i took a few trailers of green waste away for her about month ago then she rang up asking if theres any way of just removing the bindi only and said a few years ago she had a bloke spray it for her but it killed off most of the othere grasses etc :i dunno:

geoff1969
11-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Try Bin Die, its a specifically designed spray for bindi. I think its fine with most other grasses, but make sure u check on the bottle.
Cheers Dean.

hi adamandeves
yeh thought of that one would have to ask as exactly what it will kill ,dont wont to leave the old dear in the sh7t with nothing left growing , she has a beautifull garden full of old camilias ,azalieas rosses , and one of the biggest rhododendron trees ive seen ..
cheers

Fred's mowing
11-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi Geoff,
first job tomorrow, real estate office asked me to spray for weeds in their lawn. I explained that their lawn was about 80-90% weeds so it would be useless. (We had the very same conversation last year :rolleyes: ) He said thats ok, we,ll re seed it. I explain , u dont have your own water supply & therefor cant water it! If the new seed germinates & u dont water it there after, you stand very little chance of it surviving. He says do it anyhow!
Ok , lawn was sprayed about 10 days ago with Kleen lawn, tomorrow we will see how it looks ;) .
Probably done myself out of a job, they,ll end up with a dust bowl & I,ll proly end up with the arse. Some ppl wont listen :i dunno: .
Cheers Dean.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
11-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Go to bunnings there is stuff i think adamandeves got it right when they said bin die any way its in a small bottle in a orange box. Its great stuff i sprayed it on all my regulars lawn and my own. There is no bindis around any more. After you do it though fertilize and she needs to start watering properly the grass will take back over.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
11-11-2009, 08:56 PM
hi adamandeves
yeh thought of that one would have to ask as exactly what it will kill ,dont wont to leave the old dear in the sh7t with nothing left growing , she has a beautifull garden full of old camilias ,azalieas rosses , and one of the biggest rhododendron trees ive seen ..
cheers

It wont kill any grass at all ive sprayed it on several different speices. as for camillas and roses are the bindis growing in her garden if so spot spray i would just use round up spot spraying.

ian
11-11-2009, 09:30 PM
while bin die shouldn't kill any grasses if applied properly it will kill other weeds in the lawn as well as the bindi so if there is a lot of clover or other ground cover weeds it will kill them i had one client a few years ago you had the attitude they maybe weeds but my yards greener than the neighbours she used a broadleaf weed killer to spot spray the bindi

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
11-11-2009, 10:16 PM
hi ian
yeh thats what im affraid of shes got a fair bit of clover and such growing and the rest is just weeds like shes about 80 years old very independent etc nice old lady but just wants the bindy gone =and rang and asked if i had a souloution , like throwing a dart at a bulls eye :i dunno: her property backs onto a big paddock full of grass and weeds etc about 3 feet high and full of sh7t etc so all the seeds just blow in and a few years ago as said the other bloke killed it all , dont want to leave the old dear with nothing { she might not be around long enough to see it green up again }
cheers

Sounds as though she needs to water hard and mow more regulary this will then give the bufffalo a chance to over power the other weeds.

geoff1969
11-11-2009, 10:28 PM
while bin die shouldn't kill any grasses if applied properly it will kill other weeds in the lawn as well as the bindi so if there is a lot of clover or other ground cover weeds it will kill them i had one client a few years ago you had the attitude they maybe weeds but my yards greener than the neighbours she used a broadleaf weed killer to spot spray the bindi

hi ian
yeh thats what im affraid of shes got a fair bit of clover and such growing and the rest is just weeds like shes about 80 years old very independent etc nice old lady but just wants the bindy gone =and rang and asked if i had a souloution , like throwing a dart at a bulls eye :i dunno: her property backs onto a big paddock full of grass and weeds etc about 3 feet high and full of sh7t etc so all the seeds just blow in and a few years ago as said the other bloke killed it all , dont want to leave the old dear with nothing { she might not be around long enough to see it green up again }
cheers

geoff1969
11-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi Geoff,
first job tomorrow, real estate office asked me to spray for weeds in their lawn. I explained that their lawn was about 80-90% weeds so it would be useless. (We had the very same conversation last year :rolleyes: ) He said thats ok, we,ll re seed it. I explain , u dont have your own water supply & therefor cant water it! If the new seed germinates & u dont water it there after, you stand very little chance of it surviving. He says do it anyhow!
Ok , lawn was sprayed about 10 days ago with Kleen lawn, tomorrow we will see how it looks ;) .
Probably done myself out of a job, they,ll end up with a dust bowl & I,ll proly end up with the arse. Some ppl wont listen :i dunno: .
Cheers Dean.

yeh makes it hard if thay dont listen , let us know how you go with it and the results .

lawngreen
12-11-2009, 04:29 PM
got an old lady who has a lawn with just about every type of grass growing in it but its like a realy thick carpet and actualy loks realy healthy but has started get bindi,s in it , i thought about bindi spray but that would proberly kill off most of her other grasses and weeds = she just wants solution to the bindis , havnt much experience in this any ideas what could be done ???????
cheers

A couple of options as follows:
1. Spray bindii with Bin-Die, but the herbicide will go for all broadleaf weeds just about. The only things remaining will be any annual grasses (ie wintergrass, etc) and perennial grasses (ie kikuyu, couch etc).
2. Kill all vegetation with non-selective herbicide ie Glyphosate or Roundup, same thing and re-turf OR get in a company like Spraygrass in Sydney where they spray the soil with seed - just google "spraygrass"

If there is any perennial grasses (as in option 1) then use a good fertiliser with NPK like Scotts Lawn Builder.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
12-11-2009, 04:45 PM
A couple of options as follows:
1. Spray bindii with Bin-Die, but the herbicide will go for all broadleaf weeds just about. The only things remaining will be any annual grasses (ie wintergrass, etc) and perennial grasses (ie kikuyu, couch etc).
2. Kill all vegetation with non-selective herbicide ie Glyphosate or Roundup, same thing and re-turf OR get in a company like Spraygrass in Sydney where they spray the soil with seed - just google "spraygrass"

If there is any perennial grasses (as in option 1) then use a good fertiliser with NPK like Scotts Lawn Builder.

Bin die wont kill buffalo grass

Redeye
12-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Some bindi killers are death to buffalo lawns - read the small print!! The best way to stop bindi ( most lawn weeds in fact) is to keep a healthy lawn - fertilise to suit lawn type/geographical location, use a mulcher if possible and DONT cut too short.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
12-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Bin Die works well for bindi and broad leave weeds, but in my experience white clover normally needs a couple of hits with it to have much effect. Most rye grasses and barley type grasses dont seem to be effected as doesn't couch

lawngreen
12-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Bin die wont kill buffalo grass

Obviously, you haven't tried it on all the different buffalo varieties!

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
12-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Obviously, you haven't tried it on all the different buffalo varieties!

G'day lawngreen. Can you elaborate on that for those of us that want to learn. cheers mate :wave-hi:

GreenHaven
12-11-2009, 08:11 PM
pallemetto appartantly doest take to kind to it but i never tried myself i use barmac bindi killer was cheap and very effective i think it was 167 for 5 litres and 60ml to 100 square meter so it lasts ive used it on couch,buffaloe, kiku and sir walter and no yellowing at all and the same rate for all turf varities

DavidS
12-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah I use Barmac Bindi Killer, don't have to many problems with yellowing, sometimes Kikuyu might yellow. Have not tried it on Palmetto yet tho.

GreenHaven
12-11-2009, 10:21 PM
sorry it has slightly yelowed kiku once and buffaloe once but that was because the turf hadnt been fertilized or anything in last decade but with few ferts and some love from mr cylinder mower those customers are stoked

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
12-11-2009, 10:23 PM
If I'm right yellowing can happen if its sprayed on a hot day too

GreenHaven
12-11-2009, 10:29 PM
indeed you are correct

lenny
14-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Bin Die works well for bindi and broad leave weeds, but in my experience white clover normally needs a couple of hits with it to have much effect. Most rye grasses and barley type grasses dont seem to be effected as doesn't couch

I have applied bin die twice know to clover. I just came back from 2 weeks holidays and the clover is flourishing. Each time i used the bin die i applied the recommended rates and both times it was a sunny day. The clover appeared it was going to die, but hasn't.

Can anyone else recommend a herbicide for buffalo turf, that will eradicate clover, I believe there all the same as the don't have the ingredient being dicamba.

Has anyone used the product spearhead????

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-11-2009, 06:37 PM
I have applied bin die twice know to clover. I just came back from 2 weeks holidays and the clover is flourishing. Each time i used the bin die i applied the recommended rates and both times it was a sunny day. The clover appeared it was going to die, but hasn't.

Can anyone else recommend a herbicide for buffalo turf, that will eradicate clover, I believe there all the same as the don't have the ingredient being dicamba.

Cant say I have. Did you spray the clover before or after you mowed it.

NLALM
14-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Mate spearhead is the go on white clover

lenny
14-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Cant say I have. Did you spray the clover before or after you mowed it.

I've always sprayed the clover before i mow. Then i wouldn't mow the lawn for about a week.

GreenHaven
14-11-2009, 10:53 PM
http://www.barmac.com.au/brochures/BIND_TU_BR.pdf

theres a table on there that should set you in the right direction

GreenHaven
14-11-2009, 10:55 PM
funny that they dont firstly recomend their clover killer for clover but ive always had succeses with their products just a little hard to track down in perth

Christine Wharton
15-11-2009, 03:26 PM

Have you tried using an alternative route, using a high nitrogen fertiliser - the buffalo with thank you and the clover could be"killed with kindness". Just make sure you water it into the buffalo...

lenny
15-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Have you tried using an alternative route, using a high nitrogen fertiliser - the buffalo with thank you and the clover could be"killed with kindness". Just make sure you water it into the buffalo...

Christine, i regurarely fertiliser my lawn with scotts lawn builder. This fertiliser is high in nitrogen. My neighbour told me to throw sulphate of ammonia on the clover and this will burn it off.

Christine Wharton
15-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Sulphate of ammonia has a high nitrogen content, so would work on the clover the same way...

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
15-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Christine, i regurarely fertiliser my lawn with scotts lawn builder. This fertiliser is high in nitrogen. My neighbour told me to throw sulphate of ammonia on the clover and this will burn it off.

Make sure you water extremly well if addin amoneia the slighest bit not watered in will severly nurm the grass. Amoniea i have been told is not very good for the worms in your soil.

NLALM
16-11-2009, 05:57 PM
This is getting better and better . Try a bit of sulphate of iron on the clover sprinkle it on dry and don't water it. Only put it on the weed though or you will burn the crap out of the grass

ian
16-11-2009, 07:13 PM
sulphate of iron or iron sulphate is i believe the listed active ingredient in the dry powder forms of weed n feed

DavidS
16-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Best time to add the Iron Sulphate is early in the morning after a dew, it sticks to the leaf and burns the weed, water in the next day. I use a mix of 1 cup of sand 1 cup of Sulphate of Ammonia and 1 cup of Iron Sulphate mixed in a bucket, I then walk around and sprinkle it on all broadleaf weeds and on Summer grass, leave for a day or two and then water in. Saves spraying.