PDA

View Full Version : What tyres are the best for a ute?

Stripes
15-11-2009, 10:29 AM
I need some new tyres for my ute and would like to know the opinions on brands of tyres. My ute came with Bridgestone's which are terrible. They have squeeled since new and its like driving on ice when its wet which is my main concern. Has anybody bought tyres that seem to grip more in the wet?

My old ute also came with the same Bridgestones and I replaced them after 20k because I was sick of sliding all over the place and I replaced them with Dunlop that were much better. Any tyres that are really good in the wet?

MowerRob
15-11-2009, 10:30 AM
what make model etc 2wd 4wd etc bit more info needed

simo
15-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Maybe take the lead out of your boot ;frosty;

Scooby Steve
15-11-2009, 05:43 PM
What model Bridgestones do you have? I have them on my ute and dont have a problem until they have worn down some way. You have to remember you are driving a ute gravity (light rear end) always takes over at some point. Add some weight if you haven't already over the back tyres may help :i dunno: . Some utes will slip in the wet no matter how good the tyres are. Maybe check the weight of your right foot :) .

MowerRob
15-11-2009, 06:30 PM
What model Bridgestones do you have? I have them on my ute and dont have a problem until they have worn down some way. You have to remember you are driving a ute gravity (light rear end) always takes over at some point. Add some weight if you haven't already over the back tyres may help :i dunno: . Some utes will slip in the wet no matter how good the tyres are. Maybe check the weight of your right foot :) .

sometimes that a good thing especially if we want some fun in the Maloo :laughing: :i dunno:

Stripes
15-11-2009, 06:31 PM
haha. Its not my right foot. I am very cautious in the wet, and even when I am going as slow as possible it still loses traction. I know utes are generally bad but just wanted to know if someone had some tyres that seemed to be much better than before.

I have a 2007 Hilux 2wd dual cab. My previous was the cab chassis which was much worse especially when there was nothing on the back.

Scooby Steve
16-11-2009, 12:50 PM

In the above where i said gravity i meant to say physics (sorry about that).

NWGL
09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
I've got the same model Hilux & the Bridgestones are rubbish.

I've fitted Yokohama Delivery Stars. Not too expensive & pretty good in the wet.

My old ute had Goodyear Cargo's & they were great.

Stripes
09-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I've got the same model Hilux & the Bridgestones are rubbish.

I've fitted Yokohama Delivery Stars. Not too expensive & pretty good in the wet.

My old ute had Goodyear Cargo's & they were great.

Sweet, I will check them out.

The Bridgestones that come with it are terrible tyres!

johnnie5
09-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Sweet, I will check them out.

The Bridgestones that come with it are terrible tyres!

get some light truck tyres

coopers work well, heaps of tread so last forever , have 265/75/16 on my colorado 4wd and they are very quiet on the road

for budget check out maxxis

GreenHaven
21-01-2010, 08:27 PM
dont think they make coopers in 2wd sizes but i might be wrong and there a hard trye not so great in the wet ive heard never had them befor though so i dunno mayby let the pressures out a little in the wet

Redeye
21-01-2010, 09:23 PM

+1 I've got them on my Mazda & no complaints

SouthCoast Walker
15-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Wouldn't touch a cooper tyre, the sidewalls are extremely fragile and split very easily (the tread lasts very well but that is no use if you don't have side walls)

I used to do a lot of 4wdriving and the amount of cooper sidewall problems I come across in the bush was unbelievable.

It got the point that we would see a 4wd jacked up on the side of the track up ahead and we would joke here is another cooper sidewall, and sure enough when we approached it was.

My Brother had them on his Sierra and even driving along a normal firetrail (not 4wd territory) sticks would pierce straight through the side.

Wattle GC
15-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Guys..be careful swapping tyres etc.make sure that you abide by the tyre ratings..make sure that your load ratings etc are as manufacturer spec check your tyre placard on your vehicle.The reason is if you have an accident your insurance may not pay if you have changed the tyres and specification of the tyre especially important on commercial vehicles with better towing/load capacitys etc..I know of a case where the insurance co would not pay becuase of this reason and later won the court case.Just beware..

Stripes
15-02-2010, 11:07 AM
I ended up getting some Toyo tyres put on it on Friday. They had a test driving down to Wollongong in very slippery conditions yesterday and seem excellent. They were $186 each. Another place quoted me in the range of $270-$350 for their tyres.

It was actually hard to track down some tyres that were in stock that were load rated and the right size for something I thought would be very common. Tyrepower finally had something for me in stock so I grabbed them.

Wattle GC
15-02-2010, 11:17 AM
I ended up getting some Toyo tyres put on it on Friday. They had a test driving down to Wollongong in very slippery conditions yesterday and seem excellent. They were $186 each. Another place quoted me in the range of $270-$350 for their tyres.

It was actually hard to track down some tyres that were in stock that were load rated and the right size for something I thought would be very common. Tyrepower finally had something for me in stock so I grabbed them.

Yea had the same prob with the Nissan 4wd..You think with the amount of light commercials sold the tyre places would cater a little better.Not everyone just drives a Commodore or a Falcon..I bought a set of All terrain Maxis tyres after a comparrison test in a 4wd mag..Im impressed so far with their performance but i have not had time to go 4wd just yet ..