PDA

View Full Version : B&S muffler repairs

Redeye
16-11-2009, 08:01 PM
One of the 2 bolts holding the muffler on to my 13hp Briggs fell out again yesterday. The first time the thread was stripped badly enough that I had to cut a larger thread & turn up a new bolt on the lathe.
This time the thread was a bit dodgy but not enough wall thickness for a helicoil (which was quoted at +/-$150!)so ran a tap through and put in some threaded rod with high temp Loctite ($60 a bottle!). In hindsight , prob'ly should have gone with a helicoil the 1st time.
New B&S motor on feebay about $900 delivered which is a lot cheaper than I can get one locally, but don't want to have to go there yet; it has about 600 hours on it, 10 years old, bought it 2nd hand 3 years ago fingers crossed.

GreenHaven
17-11-2009, 05:49 PM
just leave it off would be a classic

NLALM
17-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Mate I just broke a muffler bolt off in my honda atom edger cost $107 for a helicoil today bit pricey but had to do it

Redeye
17-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Will find out tomorrow how it goes..fingers crossed.

My Atom's 34cc Honda sh*t itself a while ago, bought a Zenoah 2 stroke from Atom - MUCH better!!

greasemonkey
18-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I agree with the Zenoah are great. The Briggs muffler bolts are very common and I do a LOT of helicoils in them :P

johnnie5
18-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I agree with the Zenoah are great. The Briggs muffler bolts are very common and I do a LOT of helicoils in them :P
helicoils(thread repairs) are easy

go into somewhere like CBC brearings and they have 1 off kits you can buy to do it yourself

NLALM
18-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah redeye I had the 2 stroke not one problem for years updated with the honda cause everyone says their better, well that is not the case the honda uses heaps more fuel than the 2 stroke plus you have to remember to change the oil. Also the 4 sroke takes a bit longer to rev up if you know what I mean the 2 stroke is instant power. Next one will be a 2 stroke.

big_ed92
01-12-2009, 05:01 PM
hey guys get yourself some jb weld this stuff is great fixes evrything put it in the striped hole make sure its clean and place your bolt into it and let it set itl never again come loose :) it tolerates the heat from the engine no problems iv fixed plenty of striped bolts this way but the only downside is that its pernament so make sure its deffinate its like metal wont budge once set and VERY cheep at $15 you can fix loads of striped bolts you can get it at repco and bursons much much cheaper than a helicoil

Arfa Brayne
17-02-2010, 09:51 PM
been a while since I've done the briggs, but the exhausts used to come with a 3/4 inch bsp pipe thread in the exhaust port as well as the 2x muffler bolts.
When the bolts stripped out i'd just swap over to the pipethread muffler.
Helicoils aren't that hard to fit, but if you're a bit of a butcher you could always use a dyna bolt.