PDA

View Full Version : bolt patterns

geoff1969
22-11-2009, 04:09 PM
hi all just a quick question is the bolt pattern on the mounting base of the 5hp briggs motor the same as on the newer 6 hp briggs intech motor { where it bolts to the mower deck }? reason being i was given an old super swift utility mower , the base is like brand new and in excellent condition, but the original owner let it run dry { no oil } and engine is basicaly nakered and i would prefer the 6hp motor for the rough hack mows and clean ups ..
cheers geoff

Redeye
22-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I THINK so, perhaps greasemonkey will come on board....

DavidS
23-11-2009, 04:46 AM
Yes I am certain they are the same. B&S usually use the same crankcase just change the bore to up the hp

geoff1969
23-11-2009, 08:47 PM
hi david - redeye
spoke to mower shop today bolt paterns are the same 6 hp briggs intech motor he wants $440 complete motor but offered me a 5.5 hp honda same as thay run on the honda buffalos 19d for $396 complete with 7/8th shaft said thay also bolt on ...decisions...
cheers thank for your help .

DavidS
24-11-2009, 04:41 AM
Geoff,

I have an old super swift with a honda motor on it, bought it from a auction from a sydney council about 8 years ago. It never misses a beat. I use it for the intial cleanup before I put my good mower over the lawn. I would go with the honda as you don't need the extra horses for catching

Redeye
24-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Briggs vs Honda......Holden vs Ford. ;frosty; Both are on a par I suppose, I've never had a bad Briggs but some people foam at the mouth over them. I've only had one Honda (on an Atom edger) which was a disaster. Its a shame Kawasaki is so pricey..Check out ebay for engines, I got my last 2 Briggs cheaper there for mower upgrades.

DavidS
24-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah I agree that any Briggs I have had, never a problem, have just bought a Rover with a B&S Intek 5.5 and 6.5 and have old Cox with a 12.5 B&S and a Ariens with a B&S 6hp no problems with any of them.

geoff1969
25-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah I agree that any Briggs I have had, never a problem, have just bought a Rover with a B&S Intek 5.5 and 6.5 and have old Cox with a 12.5 B&S and a Ariens with a B&S 6hp no problems with any of them.

yep i think i will go with the briggs motor it all ready has extended snorkels etc on it so be easier ......

was offered a murray ride on today 12.5 hp briggs motor elec start 36 inch cutting deck 6 speed + reverse and i think 8 cutting hight selection , its 3 years old only done 10 / 12 hours work imaculate condition not a scratch on it for $700 from a mate it was his dads he brought it 2 month later had heart attact been in storage ever since .... what do you guys think i dont have a lot of need for ride on but to start in that field :i dunno:

Redeye
25-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Having to change gears especially for/reverse is a MAJOR pain in the a*se, I'd hold out for a machine with hydro tranny. Murrey ride-ons are definitely a domestic machine not made for commercial use.

geoff1969
25-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Having to change gears especially for/reverse is a MAJOR pain in the a*se, I'd hold out for a machine with hydro tranny. Murrey ride-ons are definitely a domestic machine not made for commercial use.

hi redeye
yeh i dont know much about ride ons etc but get the odd person ringing up wanting it done was thinking it might be a cheap way to toe test the water so to speak if after 12months there ways good call for ride on work upgrade if not let it go :i dunno: i know there only a cheap machine but for $700 and mint condition if it lasted 12 months should get money back pluss profit to upgrade if required , thats why just asking what people think of them and that price ???
cheers geoff

DavidS
25-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah I agree Geoff go for it, as you said for $700 cheap mower, might get you extra work. Then see where you stand in 12-18 months time

geoff1969
25-11-2009, 07:55 PM
hi davids
like said never had intrest in ride ons. currently proberly giving away - refering about an hours ride on work each week to other gardeners in around my area as i see it at 700 its a small investment , if after 12 months ive done stuff all with it re sell it ....
but the problem is im in the dark with them
what are the main problems with the murrays apart from only realy being a domestic ride on ????
decks ? gearbox ? diffs ? replacement parts ? who actually makes them ? :i dunno:
cheers

ian
25-11-2009, 09:29 PM
sounds like a good buy to me at $700 but remember if your going to do regular ride-on work you will need to be able to set up your trailer to transport the mower and somewhere to store it at home both reasons why i haven't gone down this route even though for that price i might be tempted

geoff1969
25-11-2009, 09:44 PM
hi ian
yep all good points but thats under control trailer and equpment get locked in garage each night , the wifes keen on it and reckons go for it try it so ..why not .. just need information on them so i know what to look out for and mate aint in no real hurry to sell it just a case of if you want it , its there .
then he tryed talking me into working for him again :i dunno: tempting but wife wasnt real happy ;dealers;

kns
26-11-2009, 06:12 AM
hi davids
like said never had intrest in ride ons. currently proberly giving away - refering about an hours ride on work each week to other gardeners in around my area as i see it at 700 its a small investment , if after 12 months ive done stuff all with it re sell it ....
but the problem is im in the dark with them
what are the main problems with the murrays apart from only realy being a domestic ride on ????
decks ? gearbox ? diffs ? replacement parts ? who actually makes them ? :i dunno:
cheers
Murray are made by Murray now owned by B&S
Belts are the main problem make sure you have spare ones, blade belts are easy to change drive belts can be real pain, deck rust out fast if not looked after, blades are weak and bend easily, wheels on some models need to be greased on a regular basis as do blade spindles. Any machine that has sat for 3 years could have hidden problems, make sure it starts and all works before you buy.

Arfa Brayne
17-02-2010, 10:13 PM
These sorts of ride ons are more suited to blokes who want a ride on as a toy.
Gearchange is a pain in commercial work
Turning circle means 3-5 point turns , pain again.
Deck is too soft - it will bend, twist and the blades will wreck as soon as you hit an obstacle.
Catching option (if fittted) is a complete joke
The amount of time a rideon like this will save on lawns too small for a decent commercial ride on is negligible - by the time you take it off the truck and put it back on it is almost quicker to use a walk behind.

Better to spend some cash on a hydromatic ZTR, but the profit margin in ride on work is a lot more competitive/slimmer than domestic properties. And you still have to access the property - gates, steps, culverts and narrow passage ways.