PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Mowing Trailer Modification.

Andy B
08-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I've been tinkering with the idea of setting up a tipper within my next trailer...

What I'm thinking is piece of marine ply or maybe two that will lay flat on the floor and have two or more hinges near the rear tailgate and have two mounts at the other end that I can pull it up with rope or some sort of pulley or winch that goes up over the cage and mounts on the drawbar. Then once at whatever angle it acheives I'd jump in and push it the rest of the way to tip everything out. :i dunno:

Has anyone tried anything like this?

I was thinking it will be removable along with side and front walls made out of a thinner ply so sticks/branches don't get stuck when lifting. And I spend as little as possible making it from second hand stuff. Maybe buy new slide in hinges.

bellarinelawns
08-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Why not simply just get a tipper trailer. They're fairly simple in construction... have a look at a few, and check out a few local trailer manufacturers, including "private backyarders"...you should be able to get a good price. Your idea seems messy, in the long run you will have problems, the plywood will move, it will stick to the trailer etc.

Andy B
08-12-2009, 10:13 AM
yeah, it'd be a bit rough, but no-one would see it, and if it worked great and if it doesn't i'd pitch it and use the materials for something else.

Thank you though, i'll consider a tipping trailer but not sure about them never used one and was really just gonna to trial a cheap fix.

VJinTownsville
08-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Get a tipper truck...around 10-15k

I am in a mad search for one at the moment

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
08-12-2009, 02:16 PM
It would need to be reasonbly strong ply i know there is a lot of weight in a load of greenwaste on my trailer.

Andy B
08-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah I was thinking two sheets of marine ply.

I can't see myself a affording a tipper truck in the near future, but thought for about $100 or cheaper it would be a convenient mod on a trailer. I've seen some fella's put two ropes under their loads and lift the majority out with them so why not?

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
08-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah I was thinking two sheets of marine ply.

I can't see myself a affording a tipper truck in the near future, but thought for about $100 or cheaper it would be a convenient mod on a trailer. I've seen some fella's put two ropes under their loads and lift the majority out with them so why not?

Yeah ive seen guys do that too they usally have a tarp but im not sure how heavy a load you could get away with doing that

63impala
08-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Trust me man look on ebay every day and you will find one I herd Toyota dynas are ment to be good.....

Get a tipper truck...around 10-15k

I am in a mad search for one at the moment

chatza
08-12-2009, 08:59 PM
On the truck topic after chatting with my mechanic who just bought one it seems for us melbournians its better to fly to NSW or QLD than drive it back you get a better truck at cheaper prices.

Fred's mowing
08-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Andy,
depends on how much weight you are carrying & what it is.
Although I have a dual cab tip truck (which is under utilized :( ) i have often pondered this.
Another thought (load dependant) would be to have two straps layed out across the trailer & when the load is full buckle them up.
At the tip using a third strap,provided you have an anchor point, you just attach it to the anchor point, drive forward & walla!
Proly wont go too well on straight grass clippings where you could make up layers of plyboards, 2 or 3, & just tilt them forward one by one.
Im sure ther are many more ways, we made up a tool we refere
d to as the tip tool. It was basically a heavy steel pole with 3 long tynes that would penetrate deep into the rubbish & was fairly easy to pull out huge amounts in one hit.
Im sure you,ll think of something, failing that, buy a tipping trailer ;frosty; .
Cheers Dean.

63impala
09-12-2009, 06:39 AM
I allways stomp on my trailer to compact it,but unloading becomes a bi@$@ so a tipper tralier would be cool...

redbackmowing
09-12-2009, 05:44 PM
I allways stomp on my trailer to compact it,but unloading becomes a bi@$@ so a tipper tralier would be cool...

especially branches getting caught on the wire mesh. but saying that would you rather spend an extra 5 - 10 mins unloading it by hand or spending big bucks on a reliable tipper? the 'working smarter not harder' concept sometimes comes with a price tag.

cheers
rbm

DavidS
10-12-2009, 01:50 AM
VJ heres one for you, have to come down to Sydney to get it.

http://www.truckhub.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?ItemID=3135625&TabID=3443